TIL: Today I Learned

Last Week I learned?
LWIL: That I am allergic to something in the Tide Free & Clear dryer sheets. Broke out in itchy rashes all over my body shortly after switching to them and it is now going away slowly after we stopped using them. This follows a previous set of dryer sheets that were so odorous that they triggered my spouse's migraines. I think I have finally convinced them that dryer sheets are dumb and pointless.

Have you tried dryer balls? My mother uses them as she hates the smell of dryer sheets. You put them in the dryer and it sounds awful, but your clothes come out without static etc.

Have you tried dryer balls? My mother uses them as she hates the smell of dryer sheets. You put them in the dryer and it sounds awful, but your clothes come out without static etc.
Today I learned that there are those that prefer the smell of balls over the smell of dryer sheets.

hetreogenus dimorphism seems to be the way of the world above a certain level of evolutionary biology @_@ thanks too many years of education.

hetreogenus dimorphism seems to be the way of the world above a certain level of evolutionary biology @_@ thanks too many years of education.
We have XX and XY, which led me to wonder if there wasn’t also a YY at some point in the past, but then that leaves me wondering exactly where that would fit in.

—Patrick

Last edited:
We have XX and XY, which led me to wonder if there wasn’t also a YY at some point in the past, but then that leaves me wondering exactly where that would fit.

—Patrick
Generally nonviable as many essential life sustaining phenotypes are in the mothers X chromosome. in addition mammalian procreation generally pulls the Y from the father and the X from the mothers genetic material. The mother does not carry the Y chromosome in her dna so unless it were an act of genetic engineering I dont think its something we would have to worry about. You can however end up with XXY and XYY occasionally which AFAIK have some issues but result in a otherwise neurotypical human being.

You can however end up with XXY and XYY occasionally which AFAIK have some issues but result in a otherwise neurotypical human being.
Mixing the combinations does result in some rather interesting stuff (even things like XXYY and X0), but aside from the actual musing, it was more about being able to use the “fit it in” joke.

—Patrick

So, I got an Aerogarden for Christmas, and planted tomatoes. I was explaining to the wife that even though tomatoes are self-pollinating, you have to stimulate them for them to give off pollen and actually bear fruit. Most people do this with a vibrating toothbrush--placing it near the stem of the flower until they see a poof of pollen.

"So, you're vibrating your plants until they ejaculate? ew!"

I’ve had shivers but no weakness, if we’re keeping score, here.
...dang, there goes a question someone could ask when I do my AMA, sorry.

—Patrick

TIL: about Real Tennis

I was watching Tom Scott's spinoff series Technical Difficulties and the newest Two of These People are Lying video (which is a great little game they play, check it out) when they mentioned Real Tennis. It is not Lawn Tennis, but in fact much older. I have been trying to find a rules explanation, but everything seems about as clear as mud.

Best and really only video I could find that had rules is this one:

Not likely what Teddy Roosevelt would have thought of as a nice game of tennis. No guns at the time.
I was under the impression that TR built a hidden tennis court so that he could indulge in tennis but away from prying eyes, since tennis was considered "a ladies' game" at the time.

--Patrick

I was under the impression that TR built a hidden tennis court so that he could indulge in tennis but away from prying eyes, since tennis was considered "a ladies' game" at the time.

--Patrick
I was not aware of that.

And I found this: http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/grounds/tennis.htm Which says that tennis courts were first installed on White House grounds during Teddy Roosevelt's tenure. But no, that is Lawn Tennis and specifically NOT Real Tennis.

Lawn Tennis evolved from/was inspired by Real Tennis