TIL: Today I Learned

When playing the Ressikan flute, Patrick Stewart would often learn the correct fingerings for the first few notes of the tune.
But for extended sequences, someone else would lay in his lap off camera and play the flute for him while he sat there making silly faces.
Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

At 17 seconds, you can see him trying not to break character and laugh.

TIL that a law being passed in California designed to protect rideshare drivers may eventually have a negative impact on me as a translator and interpreter in Taiwan.

The long and dirty details:

California's looking to pass Assembly Bill 5 (AB5), which is meant to protect workers in the gig economy (such as Uber drivers). AB5 will basically make it so that these workers will be classified as employees instead of independent contractors, to give them more of the protections that employees would be entitled to. AB5 would apply to all industries in California that use independent contractors, not just ridesharing companies.

Unfortunately, translators and interpreters have also been caught up in the mix. Despite many translators and interpreters preferring to work as independent contractors, the passing of AB5 will make it harder and costlier for clients to hire external translators/interpreters. This will likely lead to a push for machine translation to take over more of the translation workload in California, and given that California is one of the most tech-heavy states in the US, it will likely lead to faster advancements in the level of machine translation technology. And, of course, if better translation software becomes available in California, there's no chance it's ever going to stay in California. Of course it's going to spread out into the world.

So, yeah, a Californian law could very easily put me out of a job in Taiwan.

Today I Learned that the state of Arizona is the only state in the US that has domed stadiums for football teams at each level of competition.

The Arizona Cardinals of the NFL play at State Farm Stadium over in Glendale.

The Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks play at Walkup Skydome in Flagstaff.

And, the Round Valley High School Elks play in the Round Valley Ensphere (a wooden domed stadium) in Eagar.

TIL that the church that I have attended since moving to the Valley of the Sun was picketed by a certain Baptist Church from Kansas.

On the morning that they picketed, fog rolled in over Gilbert, so you couldn't see the picketers.

Please remember that this is Arizona we are talking about.
god hates figs... that is all.

I learned today that Reese Peanut Butter Cups only come in 2-packs regular size in the US. That's...weird as fuck.

So, it looks like our cups are smaller overall, but we get 3 of them, which gives us a little more weight.

In Canada they're also not Reese's, but just Reese.

figmentPez

Staff member
I learned today that Reese Peanut Butter Cups only come in 2-packs regular size in the US. That's...weird as fuck.

So, it looks like our cups are smaller overall, but we get 3 of them, which gives us a little more weight.

In Canada they're also not Reese's, but just Reese.
Reeses king size.jpg

And, occasionally, you'll find US Reese's in a "large size" with 3 cups, too.

Wait a minute... (does math) US Reese's are 20-21 g, while Euro Reeses are only 17 g???

You poor, deprived people.

Or just one gigantic cup.
Or even 2-packs of gigantic cups.
We have all those larger king sizes too, I'm just talking about normal super market checkout size.
I know what you're getting at, but I want to say my local grocery has the "normal"-sized ones at the staffed registers, but the 4pk-sized ones at the self-serve checkouts...and then has the 5pk-sized ones for the exact same price BUT back in the actual candy aisle. You know, all the way over there, where you'd have to walk your lazy, Reese's-eatin' ass to if you want to basically buy4get1free.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think there is a "normal" size for most candy bars in the US these days. Everything is made to fit a certain price point at a certain store. Dollar store candy isn't even old candy put on clearance, it's branded $1 stuff made to be sold there. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you can find those 17g Reese PB cups sold in the US as Reese's because some chain felt that fit the price point and profit margin that they wanted to meet for the counter top display case at gas stations that sell more than $1,000 a week of candy bars in rural areas of... etc, etc.

You know, I find it funny that this entire discussion started when the US, which has become synonymous with over-sizing everything, got criticized for showing some restraint for once.

I'm sure it won't happen again.

You know, I find it funny that this entire discussion started when the US, which has become synonymous with over-sizing everything, got criticized for showing some restraint for once.

I'm sure it won't happen again.
Yeah, but then everyone got on my ass to show me how wrong I was and how massive your God damn peanut butter cups were. Two half pound cups? Are you fucking kidding?

Yeah, but then everyone got on my ass to show me how wrong I was and how massive your God damn peanut butter cups were. Two half pound cups? Are you fucking kidding?
My wife and I tried the giant ones once. We couldn't finish a whole one, and they honestly weren't as good. The ingredients are the same, but the chocolate to peanut butter ratio is way off

I gave one of the giants ones to a co-worker one Christmas. She ate the entire thing. In one day. She's a size 4.

I hate that bitch.

Just kidding; she's lovely!

I still hate that bitch.

Dave

Staff member
We are all going to die fat & suddenly from hardened arteries and heart problems. But we'll be well-fed and in a chocolate coma so who cares?

TIL that all this time, I'd been driving an example of the PSA-FCA merger.

The Fiat Ducato, also known as the Citroen Jumper and the Peugeot Boxer, is sold in the US as the RAM ProMaster.

Which I occasionally drive around the East Valley in a somewhat bright yellow garish colored version.