TIL: Today I Learned

Reactions
230 76 0
TIL-the earliest recurring pro-basketball player on Parks and Rec's first name is Detlef, and it was NOT Dead left, like a nickname for having a bad ass left arm or something. Just saying, I've never heard the name Detlef before Parks and Rec.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
5,159 1,123 23
TIL-the earliest recurring pro-basketball player on Parks and Rec's first name is Detlef, and it was NOT Dead left, like a nickname for having a bad ass left arm or something. Just saying, I've never heard the name Detlef before Parks and Rec.
Not only is he a character on Parks and Rec, Detlef Schrempf is a real ex NBA star, who played himself on Parks and Rec.

Reactions
645 194 0
He was "the German guy in the NBA" before Nowitzki came around. He played for the Sonics during their NBA Finals run in 1996, and I remember him giving a pretty good showing against Jordan's Bulls.

Man, I feel old now.

Reactions
645 194 0
Today I learned that OKCupid started out as SparkMatch, a matchmaking service offered by TheSpark.com, best known for their Sparknotes. I actually had several SparkMatch accounts back in the day. One of them was me posing as a certain British pop star, who I shall not name here. I managed to get several people believing that I really was this pop star.

So, basically, today I learned that technically I'm a catfisher on OKCupid.

Reactions
1,075 252 1
Today I learned that OKCupid started out as SparkMatch, a matchmaking service offered by TheSpark.com, best known for their Sparknotes. I actually had several SparkMatch accounts back in the day. One of them was me posing as a certain British pop star, who I shall not name here. I managed to get several people believing that I really was this pop star.

So, basically, today I learned that technically I'm a catfisher on OKCupid.
I'm not buying you're Sting, even for a moment.

Reactions
72 3 0
Last week I learned about the Excursionist Perk for United Airlines that allows a free one-way flight embedded in a round trip itinerary between two different regions when using mile redemption travel. In my case, outbound is San Francisco to Auckland and return Melbourne to SFO, then the free flight (pay fees) is Christchurch to Perth, for 80000 miles and $200.

Reactions
475 65 2
It was very common until recently for Nazis to be portrayed by Jewish actors. By portraying them as inept, bullying, vicious but incompetent villains, they were striking at the Nazis' projected image as Aryan supermen and giving them a legacy as fools and losers. Mel Brooks in particular loved invoking Nazis as incompetent mooks, even in times and places where they made no sense (Blazing Saddles to name one example).

Major Strasser in Casablanca was played by Conrad Veidt who fled Germany because he was married to a Jewish woman. While supposedly a fearsome Nazi officer, Strasser fails to prevent the escape of a major resistance leader, has his men chased out of a saloon by a song, is killed by a local small business owner, and his murder only casually investigated by a disinterested police force.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
5,159 1,123 23
Video's a couple years old, but I just saw it today for the first time -

TIL: Cheap calculators these days put fake solar cells on their face because we're used to cheap calculators being solar.