Things I hate

Dave

Staff member
Pinterest.

I just started one to get menu ideas for our keto diet. Now it's nothing but emails, reminders, and notifications. I've squashed most of them, but I hate them so very much.

ahem,
[\spoiler]
It's not actually sports fans I hate, it's being stuck at work listening to them for hours on end talking about their fandom. Especially when they run of stuff to say and get constantly repeating themselves.

. . . and every once in a while I find myself one of them!

Sales calls.

Especially when I'm not a sales guy but have to sit on these stupid forecast calls on mute and pretend to care.

Every week or so, I get a recorded phone call from Michael telling me that my vehicle warranty is about to expire. Those calls mostly originate from Corpus Christi, Dallas, or Florida.

I got one of those last year. I laughed at them and told them my car is an '04 and that I hoped the warranty was up already. Not gotten another one.

I keep getting foreign sales calls from phone numbers in my hometown and Houston. I keep answering them because I keep thinking it could be friends or family calling from work.

Romance languages and their need to give every damn object a gender, with gender-specific prepositions and adjectives in both singular and plural forms existing just to make life harder for us trying to learn French after two other Romance languages.

Romance languages and their need to give every damn object a gender, with gender-specific prepositions and adjectives in both singular and plural forms existing just to make life harder for us trying to learn French after two other Romance languages.
It ain't just Romance languages, brah. Try those wacky Slavic languages and you'll see they're even worse when you get into the right form of the gender specific tenses depending on formalities (who you're speaking to).

Having the same guy for French in college as you did for Spanish, who tries to "help" you by explaining French stuff in Spanish to show you how similar they are.
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

--Patrick

True @Mathias, Eastern European languages are as archaic as many of their customs, and a teacher of mine once tried to convince me to study Hungarian, only to have me give up after the first class. No language with such a small user base and no international reach should be that hard.

Having the same guy for French in college as you did for Spanish, who tries to "help" you by explaining French stuff in Spanish to show you how similar they are.
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

--Patrick
And it's random shit like having hundreds of objects like trees be masculine in one language, then feminine in the other, that is making French a nightmare to learn.

GasBandit

Staff member
True @Mathias, Eastern European languages are as archaic as many of their customs, and a teacher of mine once tried to convince me to study Hungarian, only to have me give up after getting my buttocks fondled when I asked for directions to the railway station.
FTFY

And it's random shit like having hundreds of objects like trees be masculine in one language, then feminine in the other, that is making French a nightmare to learn.
Holy shit, this was half of my problem trying to learn French, remembering which inanimate objects were masculine or feminine. Is that table a he? What about the chair? Now the sofa? If you don't label them properly, then the question on this test is wrong.

I just wanted to shake my teachers and ask what was wrong with them that they had to care so intensely about the gender of things.

Holy shit, this was half of my problem trying to learn French, remembering which inanimate objects were masculine or feminine. Is that table a he? What about the chair? Now the sofa? If you don't label them properly, then the question on this test is wrong.

I just wanted to shake my teachers and ask what was wrong with them that they had to care so intensely about the gender of things.
I feel your pain... add the fact that I have to keep track of the different genders of the every damn thing in 3 languages, otherwise I am wrong.

It is like being on Tumblr, but in real life.

Gender markers in language seems almost as annoying to remember as tones in Chinese.
And it seems idiotic to worry about genders while learning the language. It's a giant waste of memory when you ought to be focusing on the important bits.

'Madamoiselle Yvette will still know I intend to take her on the kitchen counter even if I call it by the wrong gender. It's her gender I need get right to