Things I hate

I had an actual survey call about Chris Christie, the current corruption festering in the governor's position in New Jersey. I was asked if I felt he would make a good VP candidate, I said no, he would better serve in another capacity. This went on for a while, before I was finally asked, "Well then, what do you see as being a proper role for Chris Christie to play in government?" I said, "As a severed head mounted on a pike, with a sign reading 'THUS ARE THE WAGES OF CORRUPTION', before the statehouse." The call abruptly ended there. And after I went through all the trouble of pronouncing in capital letters.
Where I THOUGHT that was going was this:
Vir Cotto said:
I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would gaze up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this.
*He gives Morden a mockingly cheerful finger waggle.*
Can you and your associates arrange this for me, Mr. Morden?
But yours is good too.

GasBandit

Staff member
It always annoyed me that, when Vir was appointed Ambassador to Minbar, nobody started referring to him as Ambassador Cotto. He was still always just referred to as "Vir Cotto," even before his appointment was revoked.

I work retail.

I am the receiving manager for my store, everything goes through my hands before going to the sales floor.

I got in my first Christmas items for this year.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not in retail, they don't.
I'm sure @Sparhawk will back me up on this.

--Patrick
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I don't work in retail.

But at least when a store is going to be closed, they don't tell you "you have to do that day's sales ahead of time."

Radio is 7 days a week, even on christmas day. If you want it off, you double up on work early.

That's why I don't take vacations. It'd just mean the week before I took off, I'd have to do 14 days worth of work in 5 days.

Well, for others they don't. I usually have Memorial Day, Labor Day and 4th of July as 3 day-ers. Thanksgiving and Christmas are floating holidays that I can use anytime after THE day. This scheduling has only been in effect for the past year and a half or so, since the current schedule maker understands that if I work on a day that my work isn't delivered (ie holidays) then somebody else has to step in and do my job for my paid day off.

I've been full-time with my company for long enough that I have 15 days of paid vacation, and two personal days a year. Only about 2 more years to go to have 20 vacation days. I'm not sure how I can take an entire month away from my job, it's always more work when I come back than a normal day.

But at least when a store is going to be closed, they don't tell you "you have to do that day's sales ahead of time."

Radio is 7 days a week, even on christmas day. If you want it off, you double up on work early.

That's why I don't take vacations. It'd just mean the week before I took off, I'd have to do 14 days worth of work in 5 days.
I did three weeks of work in two weeks.

Sent from my Nextbook

when a store is going to be closed, they don't tell you "you have to do that day's sales ahead of time."
Considering the increase in volume just before/after, we might as well.
THIS part I will definitely give you. Even with an entire day's worth of recorded content, someone still has to make sure that stuff goes through. There are times I wouldn't mind being that guy, and there are other times I definitely would.

--Patrick

Hey, you t0ok some time off not long ago and the station didn't burn down or anything.

My husband has something like 10 weeks of paid vacation saved up, but he never ever ever uses it. I can't even get him to take a random day off, because he's basically convinced someone else will fuck things up. It's a god damned miracle he took a week off to visit his grandparents when it wasn't during a holiday.

My company's vacation days are reset on January 1 every year, so for the last week or two of December every year it's like a ghost town at work. The people who have already used up their vacation days and thus have to work those days generally get very stressed and grumpy.

I'm taking a day off next week because if I don't I'll hit the limit and stop accumulating vacation time, and I don't want any opportunity to get paid for hours I don't actually work to evaporate.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, you t0ok some time off not long ago and the station didn't burn down or anything.
Yeah, but I did have to get all the work done in advance, and then trust someone I'd only been training for a few months to catch anything that happened while I was gone... and I was finding goof ups for weeks after that.

And that was the first time I had taken a week off since 2013. And prior to 2013, I had only taken a week off once before since coming to work here in 2003.

fade

Staff member
They don't let us rollover vacation here, but given the state of this industry, I'm afraid to take off. I have about 3 weeks of days left for the year, and I need to use them, but I am hesitant.

Pfft. All this "work ahead". I have to work on all the holidays because apparently you can't just say "oh, we'll check out that burglary alarm tomorrow". Well, you can, but clients would be pissed :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Advertising agencies. In general.

They ruin everything. The service they provide is questionable, and based upon metrics with no provable basis in reality.

Everything you hate about radio and TV (and the internet for that matter) has its roots in advertising agencies.