Things I hate

And it seems idiotic to worry about genders while learning the language. It's a giant waste of memory when you ought to be focusing on the important bits.

'Madamoiselle Yvette will still know I intend to take her on the kitchen counter even if I call it by the wrong gender. It's her gender I need get right to
I mean, depending on how cosmopolitan you are, I'm not gonna judge.

No language with such a small user base and no international reach should be that hard.
Haaaaave you met Dutch? :p

(though I don't think Dutch is all that hard as it's made out to be. We do have three word genders, though, and unlike what you might think, "a chair" is still male and "a door" female, but "a girl"? Yeah, that's neutral :awesome:. Male and female also share articles, but have different forms of adjectives applied to them, meaning you either learn them by heart by themselves without a mnemonic, or learn them with an adjective appended, unlike most languages where at least you can get by, learning them with an article.)

Those stupid recycling commercials. It should be a pet peeve, but it's gone to full-on hate.

Maybe it's just our affiliate, but they play ALL THE TIME. For more than a year (maybe two years?). On almost every channel, every commercial break. And always back-to-back. How does recycling have this much money to waste on sponsorship? Is there nothing better then can do with this money?!?

fade

Staff member
Those stupid recycling commercials. It should be a pet peeve, but it's gone to full-on hate.

Maybe it's just our affiliate, but they play ALL THE TIME. For more than a year (maybe two years?). On almost every channel, every commercial break. And always back-to-back. How does recycling have this much money to waste on sponsorship? Is there nothing better then can do with this money?!?
I read this in the whole "WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!?" voice.

True @Mathias, Eastern European languages are as archaic as many of their customs, and a teacher of mine once tried to convince me to study Hungarian, only to have me give up after the first class. No language with such a small user base and no international reach should be that hard.

And it's random shit like having hundreds of objects like trees be masculine in one language, then feminine in the other, that is making French a nightmare to learn.

Hungarian is Uralic base; not Slavic, boss. It's closer to Finnish than say Russian. I hear taking your pants off, and sitting in a really hot room helps with the learning process.

Haaaaave you met Dutch? :p

(though I don't think Dutch is all that hard as it's made out to be. We do have three word genders, though, and unlike what you might think, "a chair" is still male and "a door" female, but "a girl"? Yeah, that's neutral :awesome:. Male and female also share articles, but have different forms of adjectives applied to them, meaning you either learn them by heart by themselves without a mnemonic, or learn them with an adjective appended, unlike most languages where at least you can get by, learning them with an article.)
Sounds like Arabic, but that's 15 years of study that went down the drain for nothing, except ugly looks if I ever use a Malaysian passport and my old Muslim name.

Good catch, Mathias, Hungary may be Eastern European but its language does not fall into the Eastern Europe language family, as one would say "the more you know".
I hear taking your pants off, and sitting in a really hot room helps with the learning process.
damn... :-(

I have very little patience for coding in general, but I can usually focus long enough to Google and tinker. (Aka just long enough to do something stupid)

The term "snowflake" as a conversation stopper, as a description of people who consider themselves "special snowflakes" who have to be protected etc. Say the people whining/being angry/triggered/attacked/discriminated are "snowflakes" and their feelings don't matter anymore, they're just entitled brats or whatever. Yuck.

The term "snowflake" as a conversation stopper, as a description of people who consider themselves "special snowflakes" who have to be protected etc. Say the people whining/being angry/triggered/attacked/discriminated are "snowflakes" and their feelings don't matter anymore, they're just entitled brats or whatever. Yuck.
Eh, sometimes it's a very accurate description. But it is definitely overused.

Eh, sometimes it's a very accurate description. But it is definitely overused.
OK, use it if you're addressing a posttrans varigender dragonkin triggered by "there not being a character with a postsexual personality on her favorite show". I'm seeing it being used to target "everybody who's still crying over Trump", and it makes me rage.

OK, use it if you're addressing a posttrans varigender dragonkin triggered by "there not being a character with a postsexual personality on her favorite show". I'm seeing it being used to target "everybody who's still crying over Trump", and it makes me rage.
I was definitely thinking more of the former, not the latter.

The English language. Specifically, the redundancy of letters, and silent letters need to go while we're at it. Teaching my 3 year why 'cat' starts with c instead of k or q is frustrating as fuk. Even a 3 yr old knows it's dumb. Stupid silent b. SEE?!

The English language. Specifically, the redundancy of letters, and silent letters need to go while we're at it. Teaching my 3 year why 'cat' starts with c instead of k or q is frustrating as fuk. Even a 3 yr old knows it's dumb. Stupid silent b. SEE?!
To be fair to English, IMO that's a problem with our writing system, rather than the language itself. English has some homophones, though not excessive IMO, but the number of homonyms with regards to syllables is insane.

But OTOH about the only people who have it near-perfect are the Koreans because Hangul is a relatively-recently devised writing system that very well addresses the homophone problem. There's not two ways to write the same sound, so you're good on that front.

So while English has its quirks (a lot due to being a structured like a germanic language (its original heritage), but about 2/3 of the words being from romance languages) that's fine, but the writing system and the language itself aren't necessarily the same issues IMO.

I see this, but I have a hunch it's this messed up language that let Shakespeare be Shakespeare, and I'm happy to leave it a fucked up, tangled mess.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh look, we approach the end of the month. That means I HATE MCDONALDS

even more than usual, because the other day I had a bacon egg and cheese biscuit for the first time in years, and apparently at some point they switched to a new kind of buttermilk biscuit that is larger and more structurally sound, but tastes like a dry, butter-flavored KITCHEN SPONGE.

FUCK YOU, CLOWN

I stopped getting shakes at McDonald's because they started making the chocolate shakes way too sweet, glad they messed up Shamrock too. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
Even the McGriddles aren't as good as they used to be. They used to, like, ooze syrup from the inside... now they're just dry pancake sandwiches.

Horribly written (web)comics with AMAZING art. The good art sucks you in, but the writing is always SO terrible that a part of your brain has enough WILL-power to shy away from it! LOOKING AT YOU VOODOO WALRUS-I mean what the FUCK was going on in that comic? There's surrealism, and then there's no fucking focus at all.

Stuck in the Middle. It's a Disney show.

It's worse than Caillou.

Banned in our house.

I had a bunch of details written out, but it was pretty ugly so I'll spare you all.