Went to Animenext for Saturday, was pretty fun, ESPECIALLY the cosplay wrestling, but honestly the shopping was the low-light. I mean DAMMIT why can't I find a DVD/Blu-Ray of Patlabor on sale?! OR more accurately, why the hell isn't it on ANY freaking streaming service?!

Well, @Tinwhistler , part of the reason it took me so long is that it turns out the post that inspired me was lost in The Great Cataclysm and now only survives in Google's cache. I would've posted this in a more appropriate thread, but that one's old enough now that it's been locked.
That said:
Since you sound like you have a large collection of cheesy (and otherwise) kung fu movies, do you remember one with the following scene?
-Spirit/angel/demon/whatever girl sees guy
-Guy's kung fu is lousy
-Girl possesses guy
-Guy's kung fu gets lots better, chases off attackers
-Girl "steps out" of guy, who has been oblivious this whole time about how his kung fu suddenly improved
-Guy is startled by sudden appearance of girl

This is a movie I saw a short bit of when I (and probably also you) was in high school on one of those silly late-night kung fu theater shows, but it was at a time when I had to constantly be vigilant about sneaking in my TV watching after bedtime and as such suddenly had to ditch and run and never saw the rest of it, and it occasionally bugs me ever since. Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) recognize it and can tell me the title?

--Patrick
The only movie that comes to mind is Spiritual Kung Fu. But I'm sure there is a whole lot of them with a similar premise.

The only movie that comes to mind is Spiritual Kung Fu. But I'm sure there is a whole lot of them with a similar premise.
That doesn't look quite right, since the girl represents herself as a more normal "girl-next-door" human being (when she's not granting him her supernatural mojo, that is). If she ever does let on, it's gotta be in the parts I missed.

--Patrick

My username is Zero Esc and my avatar used to say "and not a single fuck was given that day."

I should've either had the avatar say "and zero fucks" or changed my username to Not a Single Esc. So many wasted years.

Dave

Staff member
Dave has a Senior Moment and we all lost 3 months of our lives, but everything's cool again. He's not allowed to touch the Hal-finity Gauntlet anymore.
Like I said last night, this is what I get for trying to have meticulous planning. When I do things by the seat of my pants everything works well.

Like I said last night, this is what I get for trying to have meticulous planning. When I do things by the seat of my pants everything works well.
How does Dave make sure there's no disaster when he does things by the seat of his pants?

Depends

figmentPez

Staff member
Why not? We have to worry about e. Coli poisoning from our flour (Gold Medal brands and everyone they co-pack for). But, is the cereal Salmonella outbreak in addition to the ongoing cut-melon Salmonella outbreak? Which came right on the heels of an e. Coli outbreak from romaine lettuce...
Flour, melon, and romaine aren't cooked.

dammit. Facebook keeps posting the daily specials of my favorite restaurants anywhere from 5 hours to 3 days late.
There's a community bulletin website out here that reports every single event either 2 hours after it ends (if it's held in the morning), or the day after (if it's a day-long event). And it's not like they're trying and failing to write recaps of the events either, they just flat out cannot or will not publicize things before they happen. It's like they're trying to give one-year notice for the next upcoming event. As newcomers to the region, it drives us insane that we never hear about cool things going on until after they've happened.

There's a community bulletin website out here that reports every single event either 2 hours after it ends (if it's held in the morning), or the day after (if it's a day-long event). And it's not like they're trying and failing to write recaps of the events either, they just flat out cannot or will not publicize things before they happen. It's like they're trying to give one-year notice for the next upcoming event. As newcomers to the region, it drives us insane that we never hear about cool things going on until after they've happened.
What is worse, Facebook does the same slow roll with my county's emergency management page. I might want to know that there was a tornado 2 miles from my house. Not find out about it 2 days later.

Sadly, since Facebook knows that if they run things in chronological order, you'll read through until you hit the previous day/hour/whatever's stopping point and log off, they'll never go back to chronological feeds. Companies that aren't Facebook really need to stop trying to use Facebook as their business website.

Under your name on the left sidebar, click the ... next to News Feed, then click Most Recent. It'll show everything in order.

But you have to do it every single time.

Cajungal

Staff member
A guy walked up to me at Wal-Mart and said, "I'm trying to be more direct. My name's ___ and I'd love to call you sometime." So I tell him I'm married, but it's cool that he was so direct.

....aaaaand then comes the verbal diarrhea.

"It's just, like, I can tell you're different. You've got the glasses right? I'm all about those classes. And then you're like a little thick, but in a slim way? It's all about communication, because like, what if you'd said, 'I'm married, but let's just go ahead and do what adults do.'"

I don't think this guy knows anything that adults do.

A guy walked up to me at Wal-Mart and said, "I'm trying to be more direct. My name's ___ and I'd love to call you sometime." So I tell him I'm married, but it's cool that he was so direct.

....aaaaand then comes the verbal diarrhea.

"It's just, like, I can tell you're different. You've got the glasses right? I'm all about those classes. And then you're like a little thick, but in a slim way? It's all about communication, because like, what if you'd said, 'I'm married, but let's just go ahead and do what adults do.'"

I don't think this guy knows anything that adults do.
"Ooooo...it was a strong start, but he just couldn't stick the landing. The judges will not be scoring this attempt favorably."

GasBandit

Staff member
There's an addon called "Facebook Purity" that cleans that up and you can set it to display however you want and it'll stay that way.
They had to rename it to "fluff busting purity" when facebook started aiming their lawyers that way.