Last night my father was speaking about how his sons are honest people. I remind him that nobody will believe him because we three are public servants. I work for city hall, and my brothers in our versions of the IRS and GAO.
I fully understand, from one public servant/city clerk to another one... ;)

Reactions: Cog
Brilliant Idea #901231: A Doctor Who episode.

The Doctor and his/her companion find themselves in New York circa early 1920s and meet a young, tough scrapper by the name of Jacob Kurtzburg ("Jack" to his friends). He tags along on an adventure where they meet cosmic beings.

The episode becomes a huge tribute to Jack Kirby, including special effects for the energy used by the beings that strongly resemble his signature "Kirby Dots."

Ideally, I'd end it similar to the Van Gogh episode, where they show how Kirby influenced artists in the future and inspired generations. But that'd be a massive rights issue to show characters from DC or Marvel.

It's maddening that The Tell Tale Heart is such a suspenseful, engrossing story and it's only 2200 words. Five and a half pages double-spaced. And yet that stretch of paragraphs where the narrator is teasing at how far he can go into the old man's room, how he holds still when he's caught, both listening for each other in the dark, is just as gripping as it was when I first read it in elementary school.
I'm just catching this comment now, but I took a course at York focusing entirely on Poe and his work. It really made me appreciate his work. He made every sentence, even every word, count.

It's a shame he was a massive racist who was against abolishing slavery.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm finding conflicting answers in a quick Google, but is that true or is it part of the slander scheme that Rufus Griswold engaged in after Poe's death?

@PatrThom The Man Who Defamed Edgar Allan Poe

Griswold somehow became executor of Poe's estate, despite them being bitter rivals, and published a fraudulent biography of Poe. Portraying him as a drug-addict, drunkard, pedophile, etc.

Last edited:
I'm just catching this comment now, but I took a course at York focusing entirely on Poe and his work. It really made me appreciate his work. He made every sentence, even every word, count.

Pez may be right; we also may never know.

What I do know is I just wrote a story that's less than 2,600 words in its first draft, so I'm doing better! :D

I'm finding conflicting answers in a quick Google, but is that true or is it part of the slander scheme that Rufus Griswold engaged in after Poe's death?

@PatrThom The Man Who Defamed Edgar Allan Poe

Griswold somehow became executor of Poe's estate, despite them being bitter rivals, and published a fraudulent biography of Poe. Portraying him as a drug-addict, drunkard, pedophile, etc.
Except one of the things I studied was the short story Murder at Rue Morgue, which has hidden allegories and imagery to the race riots around the same time. The gorilla who attacks and kills the women stuffs their bodies up a chimney, similar to a story about some women who hid from rioters up a chimney. African Americans were sometimes dehumanized and referred to as apes or gorillas or similar species. There's a lot of layers in there, like any good literature will have.

The things I'm talking about isn't someone defaming his character. It's within the context of his work. When I studied this back at York, and did my final essay on it, I recall there were letters or articles written by Poe that also informed his stance on black slaves.

While sitting in a public place with my wife, a saleslady came up to us, "Would you and your daughter be interested in...?"

My wife was amused, I was not.

A conversation with my niece just now, while showing her my yoga toes (toe dividers):

Me: Yeah, it's weird doing updog with them.
Her: What's updog?
Me: Nothin', Dog, what's up with you?

(Context: "Updog" as in yoga pose Upward Facing Dog.)

A conversation with my niece just now, while showing her my yoga toes (toe dividers):

Me: Yeah, it's weird doing updog with them.
Her: What's updog?
Me: Nothin', Dog, what's up with you?

(Context: "Updog" as in yoga pose Upward Facing Dog.)
You actually pulled that off in real life. You must be some kind of Canadian trickster spirit.

"ThatNickGuy has learned Dad Joke!
Dad Joke is super effective on: Small Children, Dads, Grandpas
Dad Joke has no effect on: Teenagers, Goths
Would you like to keep this ability? Y/N"

"ThatNickGuy has learned Dad Joke!
Dad Joke is super effective on: Small Children, Dads, Grandpas
Dad Joke has no effect on: Teenagers, Goths
Would you like to keep this ability? Y/N"
Funny enough, my niece didn't even find the joke funny. She said it was stupid. I asked her if she got. She was like, "Oh, I got it. It just wasn't funny."

Smarmy frigging 8 year old. :p

fade

Staff member
Wow. This exists: https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/

Wow. If you don't want to click, it's like the bro version of incels. They still use words like "females", and make tons of assumptions about women while patting each other on the crotch. But reading it is an informative look into what crawls under the surface of some people.

I love MGTOW. Men go their own way and decide they're happier without women, so of course they go online and complain about women all day.

fade

Staff member
Their math doesn't even add up. Half the posts are about how women cheat, and the other half are about how women don't like sex. Well, which is it? Those seem at odds.

I got as close as I’m ever getting to drinking again today. My receipt for my massive Polar Pop Diet Coke said fountain liquor. I laughed and so did the sales lady. I’m clearly five years old on the inside.

MGTOW is ostensibly supposed to be "Men Going Their Own Way". Meaning that men who go about their lives without worrying about having women in their lives, and support each other in that goal. I mean, if you want to be the "confirmed bachelor type" of old, I got no problem with it.

What it actually is on reddit is more "bitter single guys who espouse misogynistic hate speech." It's a pretty vile place.

figmentPez

Staff member
Their math doesn't even add up. Half the posts are about how women cheat, and the other half are about how women don't like sex. Well, which is it? Those seem at odds.
They're only at odds if you're not aware of the old myth that women only have sex in order to get emotional attachment from men. By that "reasoning" they're not cheating because they want sex, they're cheating because they want more attention. Which feeds right back into calling women "attention whores", and furthers the misogyny. It's based on a false starting assumption, but it's not completely devoid of logic. It just ignores lots of evidence to the contrary.

EDIT: And to demonstrate that there is logic, however weak, consider this: "I don't understand my employees, they're constantly complaining about how they don't like work, but then they turn around and ask for more hours. Which is it, do you hate work or do you want to work more?" The answer is that they do hate work, but they want money.

Last edited:
"Oh! I'm covered in liquids!"

- things I didn't think I'd hear my son say until he was in college. (He was playing a video game and I have no idea what happened, but that was his reaction.)

GasBandit

Staff member
And the station I have been ostensibly in charge of for 3 years has just gone off the air for the final time. Vaya con dios, KJXJ.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are you now out of a job, or are there multiple stations?
We still have the other stations. Really, I was "in charge" of this station in name only (hence my use of the term 'ostensibly'), as all programming decisions were made by the owner without consulting me.

I think it just got my name on it because he needed a way to justify giving me a 50% raise to stop me from quitting 3 years ago without admitting I got a raise merely to stop me from quitting. "It's not a panic move, it's just uhhhhh a well deserved promotion! Yeah!"

So, really, my day to day workload and responsibilities are largely unchanged, other than I don't have to go into the studio once a day to make sure everything's turned on and the schedule is in the right place.