Just removed a "friend" on Steam. A kid I gamed a bit with on TF2. I mentioned I hadn't been around much lately because of my yoga teacher training. He "joked" that yoga was "stupid" and "just girls trying not to fart."

That's not someone I want to associate with. He even said something along the lines of "I don't mean to disrespect" and then continued insulting yoga.
If someone has to say that at the start of their sentence, they mean disrespect. Just like the classic "No offence...". Or "I don't want to be rude, but..."

People suck.

If someone has to say that at the start of their sentence, they mean disrespect. Just like the classic "No offence...". Or "I don't want to be rude, but..."

People suck.
"I'm not racist, but..."
"I have plenty of gay friends, but..."
"I see nothing wrong with feminism, per se, but..."

I have seen all of these at some point on my Facebook feed.

I also saw an amusing variation once. "I don't have a fetish for aquatic creatures or anything like that, but..."

"I'm not racist, but..."
"I have plenty of gay friends, but..."
"I see nothing wrong with feminism, per se, but..."

I have seen all of these at some point on my Facebook feed.

I also saw an amusing variation once. "I don't have a fetish for aquatic creatures or anything like that, but..."
That last one made me laugh really loud and I scared Pud!! OMG...

The other one that drives me bananas is "You don't look sick!" - Because I spend a lot of money for my fancy air brush foundation, thank you.

"You're too young to walk with a cane!" - Yet, here I am. Want me to beat you with it?

"I know someone with that disease and they use a wheelchair." - Fuck you very much for that warm thought.

"It's pretty pathetic how hard you try to pass as a normal person. I know that you're really too sick to be working." - I wish that I was back at my firm and could fire you for insubordination.

So all four of the above have been said to me, but I have actually only said one of the above back to someone. I've only thought the other three. I don't get why people pretend they aren't racist/ableist/rude/homophobic etc. I find comments like those horribly offensive in any setting, but doubly so when the person pretends that they're somehow being helpful when they're saying it.

Wow! I'm some cranky tonight!

That last one made me laugh really loud and I scared Pud!! OMG...
Glad you liked it. :D

It was during a discussion about whether it's ethical to eat meat. One guy said he wouldn't eat meat, but he does eat fish and other seafood. Other people asked what the difference is. He then posted a bunch of alleged health benefits from fish and other seafood. Other people pointed out that similar health benefits can be derived from land-based animals too.

He then posted something along the lines of "I don't have a fetish for aquatic creatures or anything like that, but I honestly believe that if we have to eat animals, it'd be better for our health and for the planet overall if we only eat fish..." etc.

Of course, immediately after he posted that, the conversation derailed immediately and he was accused of having a thing for manatees.

Watching a live stream of the Dragons-Giants game from the Tokyo Dome. In the NPB, the bullpens are under the stands, out of sight of the fans. When the broadcast cut to the bullpen, you can barely hear the crowd.

At least once, the announcers went to a golf whisper. :D

Dave

Staff member
It wasn't from anyone here was it? Because I'll pull out the banhammer for shit like that.
No, no, haha! Thank you though.

It was some jackass on Tumblr - who's account has been deactivated now. I reported it and I'm assuming many other women did too. No worries!

fade

Staff member
My wife is about to get the 4th car buyback (i.e. "lemon law") since we've been married. She does not take no for an answer. It's also because we like to cycle out cars (it's a bad habit I inherited from my dad), and she keeps buying first year models, including this one. This time, the Fiat 500L she has will not stop shaking and shimmying at highway speed. I know what all you shadetree mechanics are thinking, but so far it's none of the traditional causes. They've been through all of that, and they said they're having difficulty finding the issue. They're basically throwing their hands up right now.

Panda Express has finally opened here, and I'm already hooked. I was hooked before when I lived in Jax, but that was 20-some years ago and there hasn't been any nearby since.

My wife is about to get the 4th car buyback (i.e. "lemon law") since we've been married. She does not take no for an answer. It's also because we like to cycle out cars (it's a bad habit I inherited from my dad), and she keeps buying first year models, including this one. This time, the Fiat 500L she has will not stop shaking and shimmying at highway speed. I know what all you shadetree mechanics are thinking, but so far it's none of the traditional causes. They've been through all of that, and they said they're having difficulty finding the issue. They're basically throwing their hands up right now.
Maybe she has mud in her tires.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Better not. They're brand new. That's what brought all this to light. I thought they just failed to balance the new tires properly at first.

The 500L is a bit of an experiment. There's a reason why they all come with an in-dash display standard. The whole thing is software controlled from a central computer system. They've been having some issues with some of the software updates. I cannot help but wonder if this is causing some of the issues.

GasBandit

Staff member
Better not. They're brand new. That's what brought all this to light. I thought they just failed to balance the new tires properly at first.

The 500L is a bit of an experiment. There's a reason why they all come with an in-dash display standard. The whole thing is software controlled from a central computer system. They've been having some issues with some of the software updates. I cannot help but wonder if this is causing some of the issues.
Dare I hope Pat was making a My Cousin Vinny reference?

Also, clearly the problem is you bought a Fiat. :p

Funny, my Fiat Cinquecento S did the same thing. I couldn't drive faster than 80 km/h or the car would start shaking like crazy. Turned out the wheel bearing on the front left side was damaged but I guess this is one of the traditional causes you mentioned.
To be honest I haven't testing speed higher than 100km/h after they fixed it. The car started to has some problems with the injection since this summer after the fuel pump was replaced. It drives but occasionally I have problems to start the car or the engine stops running when I stop pushing the gas pedal. The mechanics are also out of ideas. Thankfully that didn't happened any more with the end of the summer. So maybe it's a weird weather thing.