GasBandit

Staff member
The new lady in sales just turned in her notice. That means we're back down to 3 salespeople. Whuf. Just to note a fact, there are 8 offices in the sales hall, and when I first started working here, 7 of them were occupied.

I wonder if management will wake up, or if we'll be down to 2 soon.

Dave

Staff member
There was a shooting about a block from my house. Right now there are cops everywhere and we have 0 information. So I guess I watch the news and wait and see. It's like when we were in the projects all over again...
Welp, the dude who was shot died.

Apparently the victim was a truck driver who was in a road rage altercation with the other driver. The truck driver got out of his rig and approached the other truck, pounding on the windows and yelling at them. When he turned around to get back into his rig he was shot 3 times in the back.

Now, I'm trying hard not to blame the victim, but the Louie C.K. thing really resonates here. No, you didn't deserve to be shot in the back and killed, but if you get out of your vehicle and attack the other car it's kinda your fault as well. I didn't know the guy and the only reason that it's on my radar at all is because it happened about a block from my house and I'd just driven through the intersection where it happened. And I'm talking JUST driven through it - like I'm surprised I didn't see or hear anything.

The whole thing was just dumb. Now the wife and three kids are without a dad because this "nice guy who would never hurt anyone" lost his cool at a stop light and attacked the wrong person at the wrong time.

The shooter is going to have a harder time proving "self-defense" if the trucker was leaving at the time he was shot.
The shooter may claim, "I thought he had a weapon in his truck," but the rejoinder to that is always, "then you should have taken that opportunity to leave."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The shooter is going to have a harder time proving "self-defense" if the trucker was leaving at the time he was shot.
The shooter may claim, "I thought he had a weapon in his truck," but the rejoinder to that is always, "then you should have taken that opportunity to leave."

--Patrick
That depends on jurisdiction - but Nebraska IS a "Duty to Retreat" state (as opposed to a "Stand Your Ground" state). So, unless the deceased's truck was in front of/blocking the shooter's truck, they're probably gonna have a bad time.

Of course, it's my considered opinion that "Duty to Retreat" is anathema to all sense and logic, but sense and logic are not requirements for law.

GasBandit

Staff member
Somebody on 4chan linked one of my HFA videos on Sept 3rd, apparently.

Wondering why, how, and in what context is driving me batty.

Fuckin youtube and their stupid lack of full referral URLs in their analytics.

Dave

Staff member
Somebody on 4chan linked one of my HFA videos on Sept 3rd, apparently.

Wondering why, how, and in what context is driving me batty.

Fuckin youtube and their stupid lack of full referral URLs in their analytics.
Which one? Maybe we can find it through the link.

GasBandit

Staff member
Which one? Maybe we can find it through the link.
This one -

Yeah, I tried googling the v= code for it (ftbrobGudzU), and all the tricks. Even a date specific site search of every related term I could think of. Artificial Academy. Backstreet. Everybody. Nothing (at least nothing that linked the video).

But hey, I learned that 4chan can apparently do media embeds, now.

Last edited:
sense and logic are not requirements for law.
Jurisdiction and Retreat/Stand doctrine aside, it's hard to argue you were threatened by someone's back. I can't think there'd be many situations where you'd be more incentivized to shoot someone while they're walking away from you than when they're still facing you, and I expect the shooter will have to work very hard to show his reason for pulling the trigger was not merely one of injured pride.

--Patrick

Even my love for Pokemon couldn't make me stay and join their Pokemon community. The number of rules and the nit-picking of the moderators was out of control.

Out. of. Control.

fade

Staff member
If I carried a purse, I'd put a small block of C4 in there, and carry the detonator in my pocket. That way, if anyone stole my purse, I could just hit the button and walk away from the explosion in slow-mo.

If I carried a purse, I'd put a small block of C4 in there, and carry the detonator in my pocket. That way, if anyone stole my purse, I could just hit the button and walk away from the explosion in slow-mo.
I'd love to do something similar for my bike or laptop, only with a taser system.

It'd be like in Guardians of the Galaxy when Star Lord tries running away only for Rocket to shock him. :D

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm just waiting for the "stolen bike prank video" guys to get this bright idea.

This made me think, what if they put a stolen money bomb in the purse and dye the perp...

Then it reminded me of a prank a friend of mine played on his brother. My friend was a cop, and he got his hands on some invisible, pink dye. It was used in an investigation to track a teller that was stealing from the till. So he took the remainder left over from the investigation and spread it in his brother's bed.

He went out on the town with his brother and his brother ran into one of his lovers, and she went back to their place. My friend tried to talk her out of sleeping with his brother. The situation got to the point that he told her that there was pink dye in the bed, she agreed not to hop in bed...

But I guess the brother was more convincing.

So the next morning they both come out into the living room, colored a bright pink head to toe. Then she had to go home to her husband...

And the brother is still called the Pink Panther, 40 years later.

fade

Staff member
Several years ago, I took my son to a robotics/programming day camp sponsored by Google. One class had the kids program something in Scratch. They brought this one 9 year old kid on stage at the end, showing off this entire graphical game he put together in the hour long session. The crowd loved it, and they gave the kid an award. Lots of oohs and aahs. But I got home and installed Scratch, and the game was a demo that was part of Scratch. I don't think the kid was lying, though. I think one of the college student volunteers mistook his playing with the demo as his own work, and his wires got crossed, and it got to that point.