Dave

Staff member
The most brutal obituary ever.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/familys-brutal-obituary-for-galveston-man-raises-eyebrows

"Leslie Ray 'Popeye' Charping was born in Galveston on November 20, 1942 and passed away January 30, 2017, which was 29 years longer than expected and much longer than he deserved. Leslie battled with cancer in his latter years and lost his battle, ultimately due to being the horses ass he was known for. He leaves behind 2 relieved children; a son Leslie Roy Charping and daughter, Shiela Smith along with six grandchildren and countless other victims including an ex wife, relatives, friends, neighbors, doctors, nurses and random strangers.

"At a young age, Leslie quickly became a model example of bad parenting combined with mental illness and a complete commitment to drinking, drugs, womanizing and being generally offensive. Leslie enlisted to serve in the Navy, but not so much in a brave & patriotic way but more as part of a plea deal to escape sentencing on criminal charges. While enlisted, Leslie was the Navy boxing champion and went on to sufficiently embarrass his family and country by spending the remainder of his service in the Balboa Mental Health Hospital receiving much needed mental healthcare services.

"Leslie was surprisingly intelligent, however he lacked ambition and motivation to do anything more than being reckless, wasteful, squandering the family savings and fantasizing about get rich quick schemes. Leslie's hobbies included being abusive to his family, expediting trips to heaven for the beloved family pets and fishing, which he was less skilled with than the previously mentioned. Leslie's life served no other obvious purpose, he did not contribute to society or serve his community and he possessed no redeeming qualities besides quick whited sarcasm which was amusing during his sober days.

"With Leslie's passing he will be missed only for what he never did; being a loving husband, father and good friend. No services will be held, there will be no prayers for eternal peace and no apologizes to the family he tortured. Leslie's remains will be cremated and kept in the barn until 'Ray,' the family donkey's wood shavings run out. Leslie's passing proves that evil does in fact die and hopefully marks a time of healing and safety for all."

The Oroville Dam, the tallest dam in the US (yes, taller even than the Hoover Dam), has been in dire straits for days now. Until today, though, the main problem was thought to be a sinkhole that had developed under its primary spillway and had caused a massive hole to open in it... but today despite the damaged spillway having been open anyway, the water level has risen so much that the "emergency spillway," a generous euphemism for "part of the hill lower than the rest that will get overflowed first" started having water come over it.

And now in the last hour or two, despite previous hopes that this would be sufficient, the call to evacuate Oroville has gone out as it was believed that the emergency spillway has been eroded too much by all the water and will "fail within the hour."

I used to have family in Oroville, distant relations, granted. Last year they sold their house and moved to New Zealand. Just in time, it seems.

Yeah, this has been dominating the news around here. One giant clusterfuck.

figmentPez

Staff member
Stories of failing infrastructure are likely to become more common in the future. There's a lot of dams, bridges, and other structures that are aging and in need of more maintenance than they're getting. And the SCROTUS wants to build a wall instead of fixing things.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently three different conservation groups brought up concerns that the dam's spillway might do exactly what it is threatening to do now, back in 2005, but state authorities said "Nah, that'll never happen" and federal authorities said "well, if the California State govt doesn't think it'll happen, we'll just wash our hands of it, too."

Dave

Staff member
Apparently three different conservation groups brought up concerns that the dam's spillway might do exactly what it is threatening to do now, back in 2005, but state authorities said "Nah, that'll never happen" and federal authorities said "well, if the California State govt doesn't think it'll happen, we'll just wash our hands of it, too."
Yup. Government tends to be very short-sighted and reactionary any more. There's almost no forward-looking any longer on either side of the aisle.

We're translating a medical text from Chinese into English. The translator had written the line, "Blacks had an overall survival rate similar to whites." I edited it to "Black people had an overall survival rate similar to white people." The translator came back to ask me why my version was better, and I find I can't explain it, or whether my version is actually better at all.

We're translating a medical text from Chinese into English. The translator had written the line, "Blacks had an overall survival rate similar to whites." I edited it to "Black people had an overall survival rate similar to white people." The translator came back to ask me why my version was better, and I find I can't explain it, or whether my version is actually better at all.
Because it lessens each label into a quality

Edit to clarify. "Blacks" is an identity label. "Black people" identifies people with one quality of blackness.

Why does Genie from Alladin seem like the only genie/djinn to NOT screw over their master through mean wishes in terms of fiction? GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT STUPID-otherwise third wish will be all "I wish I never met you."

The beer itself is actually not very good! Unexpectedly strong metallic taste, and the rest of the flavors didn't impress. Only had one can though, so we'll see.
While there have been lots of improvements in can technology (yeah, you wouldn't guess so, but really), a lot of Belgian brewers still don't like using cans instead of dark bottles because of the possibility of metallic taste getting into the beer. Strictly speaking, good cans are the best way to store beer, but glass has less potential side-effects. I hope the other beers go better :)

That said, the source material - that is to say, the djinn mythos - does not paint them as benevolent at all, and the "friendly genie" trope itself is really a subversion.
Wish #1 should always be:
"I wish that all of my wishes, including this one, will be interpreted in such a way as to have the best possible outcome for me, taking into account my core desire in making the wish, and minimizing all negative consequences, avoiding them completely if possible."

If you can't get enough satisfaction out of your two remaining wishes, you got problems. :)

"I wish that all of my wishes, including this one, will be interpreted in such a way as to have the best possible outcome for me, taking into account my core desire in making the wish, and minimizing all negative consequences, avoiding them completely if possible."

If you can't get enough satisfaction out of your two remaining wishes, you got problems. :)
Are mind-reading and empathy expected of the genie? Are you sure you want to rely on its understanding of your "best possible outcome," "core desire," and "negative consequences"? Maybe he's a paperclip maximizer at heart. The best possible outcome for you is to shorten the span of time between the present state (not paperclips) and the best future (is paperclips). Your core desire (obviously to be part of the paperclipping) is taken into account. None of your useful-in-paperclip-manufacture atoms will undergo fission or fusion so as to not negatively affect them, tho.

fade

Staff member
Yup. Government tends to be very short-sighted and reactionary any more. There's almost no forward-looking any longer on either side of the aisle.
As a professional geologist, I can tell you you can remove the "any more" part of that sentence. When I was in the environmental field before I switched to the dark side, the running joke was calling them the Army Corpse of Engineers. Here's a typical conversation between the gov't/Corps and consulting geologists:

Geologist: "You can't do that. It'll work short term, but ultimately it will fail. Here's wh..."
Corps: "So it'll work?"
Geologist: "Yes but.."
Corps: "Alright, you heard the guy."

See: sandbag levees, re-routing the Mississippi (Old River Control), multiple hurricanes, half the earthen dams in the country....[DOUBLEPOST=1487082566,1487082333][/DOUBLEPOST]

The X-Files with the genie had Mulder try something like this, and the genie read it over and said it still probably wouldn't work. She seemed to be indicating that jerking around the wish was something that just happened, and it wasn't in her control.

Are mind-reading and empathy expected of the genie?
Why not? It's magic. If it can make time travel possible, create matter, rewind cause-and-effect for the entire universe to change a specific outcome or situation, I see no problem with that same magic of the first wish incorporating my desires in that and all future wishes.

The X-Files with the genie had Mulder try something like this, and the genie read it over and said it still probably wouldn't work. She seemed to be indicating that jerking around the wish was something that just happened, and it wasn't in her control.
Of course...it doesn't make a good story if the protagonist just gets everything they want. If I were writing a standard genie story, I wouldn't probably wouldn't allow it either.

Why not? It's magic. If it can make time travel possible, create matter, rewind cause-and-effect for the entire universe to change a specific outcome or situation, I see no problem with that same magic of the first wish incorporating my desires in that and all future wishes.
The first wish is your scaffolding/foundation for the rest, you're necessarily building that on some sort of ground (the genie's base state). If you don't account for it, any number of things may be off. It's magic, and I see no problem with that same magic pouring through any available loophole like a torrent of poop.

The first wish is your scaffolding/foundation for the rest, you're necessarily building that on some sort of ground (the genie's base state). If you don't account for it, any number of things may be off. It's magic, and I see no problem with that same magic pouring through any available loophole like a torrent of poop.
"...including this one..."

The trope is explored by Larry Niven in the story, "The Wishing Game," where his solution to possible misinterpretation of wishes (deliberate or otherwise) is to go the other direction, and make them as vague as possible.

--Patrick

I would always ask the genie what the ground rules were before ever coming close to making a wish. When you're dealing with a being that can alter the very course of reality, one needs to be *very* careful.

"...including this one..."
That doesn't make the genie any more understanding of your values, AFAICT. At the end of the day, wishes aren't magic (Lesser Wish and Wish are), they're requests made to a genie that executes them to the letter of the word (with an added dash of fuckery based on the traits given to this genie, usually). Nothing about your initial wish will fix core issues in the genie's utility function, if it's warped in ways not accounted for. Like pushing unknown foodstuffs through a simple extruder and expecting reliable results. Universal tools/processes are complicated, and a universal "bootstrap a safe genie from a genie" seems like a hell of a complicated thing.

The circularity of your wish is just pushing the issue away from view--"interpret my wishes so as to maximize <subjective concept> and minimize <subjective concept>, including this wish." If the genie has a different view of reality (spirits are real, it can hear your Oversoul, materialist, etc), humanity (uncultured "eatfucksleep" primates, automatons, those condemned to experience the hell that is sentience), and so on so forth.

Man, boxing things up for the upcoming move really hammers home I'm a bit of a pack rat at heart. Do I keep this not-mint original Diablo II box with non-working CDs? Do I keep this box of Caesar II, proudly proclaiming "both Windows 3 AND Windows 95 compatible!"? I don't want to part with any of my old original game boxes - throwing them away means throwing away part of my childhood....but I already (re-)own most of these games through Steam or GOG, and it's not like I'm ever going to use these versions anymore - even if I still had an optical drive in my pc.
But...but.... bah, why can't my cupboards and closets to bags-of-holding?

Oh deary me do I understand this. I'm about to pack for another move soon and have exactly the same predicament. Star Wars Dark ForcesWarcraft - Orcs & Humans, Lords of the Realm, Settlers II, etc...