GasBandit

Staff member
One of the salespeople sometimes has to bring her son with her to work (especially around the holidays when he's out of school), he's about 5 or 6 years old. He thinks I'm the coolest guy on earth or something. He always comes to my office to talk about minecraft or pokemon or legos. Today I grabbed a random CD off my shelf to give to him since he was looking at them. Turned out to be Clint Black singing "The Galaxy Song," originally by Monty Python. His comment? "This doesn't sound like a song. This sounds like a dockery (how he says "documentary") trying to be a song."

GasBandit

Staff member
It's because you know what he's talking about when he talks about such things, obviously. ;)
Really, at this point, in my opinion, anybody my age or younger who DOESN'T know enough about at least two of those three things to hold a conversation with a child... something is just wrong with them.

Really, at this point, in my opinion, anybody my age or younger who DOESN'T know enough about at least two of those three things to hold a conversation with a child... something is just wrong with them.
You might be surprised at how many parents have no clue or interest in any of that. I have one friend who is 10 years younger who has never watched The Holy Grail all the way through. She knows what Legos are, but to talk about specific sets/series she hasn't the faintest. Minecraft? Only because of my children.

I have an 8 year old cousin that adores me. He thinks I'm cool, and is too young to realize just how wrong he is. His mom always marvels at how good I am at picking out birthday and christmas gifts for him, and I always reveal that I just buy him stuff that I think is cool, and then have to struggle with wanting to keep it instead of giving it to him.

In case we're not friends on Facebook, story time; I got the cops called on me today. Super thrilling. :rolleyes: Nate and I were shooting Scarecrow in a park near our house and some guy thought we looked suspicious, so he took down our license plate and a few minutes after we got home the cops showed up. Le sigh.

It was fine though, the cop was incredibly kind and wasn't upset at all - we didn't even get in any trouble. He just had to take a picture of my Scarecrow vest for the report and then he went on his way. I just...am so surprised? Anyway, my Scarecrow costume will now be in a police report forever now. =^^=

Remember, we are outside societal norms here. ;) Meanwhile, I'm sitting here having my son help me contemplate a draw bridge over a lava moat. [emoji14]

GasBandit

Staff member
You might be surprised at how many parents have no clue or interest in any of that. I have one friend who is 10 years younger who has never watched The Holy Grail all the way through. She knows what Legos are, but to talk about specific sets/series she hasn't the faintest. Minecraft? Only because of my children.
Remember, we are outside societal norms here. ;) Meanwhile, I'm sitting here having my son help me contemplate a draw bridge over a lava moat. [emoji14]
No way, man! My contemporaries, my peers would never... it was our PARENTS who didn't know anything! Parents! Oh my god we are the parents. WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ANYMORE. /HowieScream

In case we're not friends on Facebook, story time; I got the cops called on me today.
Just what the heck were you doing in that scarecrow getup to get the cops called on you?!

Well, now you're in the system, Kags. It's aware of you. Time to fake your death and get a new identity.

@Eriol
Ya I think that's the reason I don't think I could long-term live on Kauai. Just in our vacation there a few years back the damned roosters/chickens were up at dawn (or before) reliably, announcing the morning. There's a "non-trivial" number of them on that island.

For the length of a vacation that can be OK. Perpetually, that is so NOT OK.
There is a real problem with feral chickens on that island. They have no natural predators, so they just multiply unchecked. Oahu has some, but usually the ones we hear are from someone's backyard flock. They eat the centipedes so people like to keep them around.

I'm a nerd and a geek, but I've never gotten into Minecraft, and Pokemon has completely and utterly passed me by. My nieces and nephews (well, my girlfriend's), aged 4-9, all of them, don't know anything about either of those, either. They spend most of their time playing outside or playing with, you know, real life toys. When they play games, it's on a tablet and they're educational stuff, mostly, or graphics stuff (playing with photoshop, illustrator, whatever, making their pictures look better and making drawings). My neighbours' kids (aged 14-19) don't play any sort of computer games and don't care for Pokemon.

Perhaps you overestimate the measure to which "everyone" and/or "all kids" or into this stuff. Much like, say, soccer, some people and kids are interested, some aren't.

My daughter obsessively watches YouTube Let's Plays of Minecraft, but for the most part hates playing video games. But Pokemon is more than just a video game, it's a whole pop culture presence. We also own a LOT of Pokemon show DVDs. I feel like if my daughter was raised in a less geeky household she'd know far less about these things, as none of her friends give a damn about them.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm a nerd and a geek, but I've never gotten into Minecraft, and Pokemon has completely and utterly passed me by. My nieces and nephews (well, my girlfriend's), aged 4-9, all of them, don't know anything about either of those, either. They spend most of their time playing outside or playing with, you know, real life toys. When they play games, it's on a tablet and they're educational stuff, mostly, or graphics stuff (playing with photoshop, illustrator, whatever, making their pictures look better and making drawings). My neighbours' kids (aged 14-19) don't play any sort of computer games and don't care for Pokemon.

Perhaps you overestimate the measure to which "everyone" and/or "all kids" or into this stuff. Much like, say, soccer, some people and kids are interested, some aren't.
I've never played a single pokemon game. I've watched maybe 10 minutes of the show. But it so inundated our culture as I grew up that I couldn't get away from it. So, despite not ever having actually played it or watched it, I can tell you that Pikachu evolves into Raichu, the starters are usually fire/water/grass types, cubone wears his mother's skull as a hat, identify most of the anime characters by sight, and hold discussions on the fact that James is actually the ultimate Pokemon master, not Ash.

I hate to say this, but we were almost out of high school by the time the game came out here, and didn't really become a cultural phenomenon until we were in college. So "while you were growing up" isn't entirely true.

(But James is in fact the ultimate Pokemon master.)

I don't remember seeing him capture any Pokemon. He was just the goofy "bad" guy. Granted I used to watch the show before I went to bed when I worked nights, so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Damn now I want to watch it again. lol[DOUBLEPOST=1451592814,1451592470][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used to finish work early when we lived in Toronto and I would come home and watch Pokemon :D
I used to watch Pokemon, Digimon, and Card Captor Sakura in the afternoons before I went to bed (I was working 10pm or midnight - 8am). I wanted a Kero plushie so bad, but no one around my area of NJ/SE Pennsylvania had them at the time.

The whole Pokémon wave hit after I had already sunk too much money into MtG, so I was pretty much disgusted and done with any and all CCGs at that point.
You want to talk Tiny Toon Adventures, though...that's another story.

--Patrick

My brother and his friends still shake their heads to this day about the success of Minecraft. If only they had known back then what they know now, they maybe could be millionaires now.

Bah. Bah bah bah bah and bah.

I can't breathe easy until it's 7am and I am safely well away from this place. Even though the parties are over and the bar is closed, there's still far too much inebriation around this place. It's quiet now, but soon the hungover will be staggering down for breakfast and taking aim at me for anything that went wrong with their stay. Not that anything did, but I'm the poor dumb bastard that takes the heat for it early in the morning.