Man, I have no idea what day it is anymore, all day yesterday I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Saturday, and then my son's music lesson, which is the definitive Saturday thing for me got cancelled, and I can't wait for school to start again so that I can finally remember the days of the week.

Man, I have no idea what day it is anymore, all day yesterday I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Saturday, and then my son's music lesson, which is the definitive Saturday thing for me got cancelled, and I can't wait for school to start again so that I can finally remember the days of the week.
They are MONDAY, Practice Day, Hump Day, Almost Friday, Friday, Saturday and Almost Monday.

I went grocery shopping today with a lost from my husband and I tried to not get too many things off the list because it's a pain in the ass for me to shop alone and lug it to the car.

At the store I got an overwhelming craving for cream corn and French fries. So gross yet I can't wait.

My cat has had an upper respiratory problem for the past several weeks, so I finally was able to scrape up enough cash to take him to the vet. Well, I found out what my cat has and to tell you, I shall serenade you to the tune of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady".

<ahem>

:notes:Chlamydia, chlamydia, my cat has chlamydia.
Chlamydia, but not like we get.
It makes his eyes and nose both run,
But that's only half the fun.
Chlamydia, clamydia.
Feline chlamydophila.
It kinda acts like the flu.
He'll snort and cough a week or two;
It gives him fever and lethargy too,
And now when he sneezes, I'm covered in goo
'Cause my cat has chlamydia!:notes:

Last edited:
My cat has had an upper respiratory problem for the past several weeks, so I finally was able to scrap up enough cash to take him to the vet. Well, I found out what my cat has and to tell you, I shall serenade you to the tune of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady".

<ahem>

:notes:Chlamydia, chlamydia, my cat has chlamydia.
Chlamydia, but not like we get.
It makes his eyes and nose both run,
But that's only half the fun.
Chlamydia, clamydia.
Feline chlamydophila.
It kinda acts like the flu.
He'll snort and cough a week or two;
It gives him fever and lethargy too,
And now when he sneezes, I'm covered in goo
'Cause my cat has chlamydia!:notes:
Eeesh, I can hear it being sung by Jamie Farr in my head.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I used to pay insurance claims and this shit confuses me. I have an eye appointment tomorrow and just in case they tell me I need bifocals or something, I'm looking into something called progressive lenses. These are like bifocals without lines. Pretty slick for us near-sighted old guys. So I grab my EyeMed benefits sheet and it says the following:

Member pays:
Standard Progressive Lens $75 Copay
Premium Progressive Lens $75 Copay + (80% of Charge) less $120 allowance

I get the standard. That's easy, I just get charged $75. But what the hell would I pay for the Premium? Say it's $500. I pay $75 and then 80% of $500 - $120? I don't know.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to pay insurance claims and this shit confuses me. I have an eye appointment tomorrow and just in case they tell me I need bifocals or something, I'm looking into something called progressive lenses. These are like bifocals without lines. Pretty slick for us near-sighted old guys. So I grab my EyeMed benefits sheet and it says the following:

Member pays:

I get the standard. That's easy, I just get charged $75. But what the hell would I pay for the Premium? Say it's $500. I pay $75 and then 80% of $500 - $120? I don't know.
If I read it right, your part comes to 75 + (400)-120=$355.

IE, you're going to pay 75% no matter what, but they'll knock 120 bucks off of your 80% of the cost of premium lenses.

Dave

Staff member
That's exactly right. I just called them. If the lenses cost $500 I'd end up paying 71% of the overall cost. You see, THIS is why I pay insurance fees. Because I can save less than I end up spending. I have to save at least $232 on this transaction or the insurance cost me more than I save.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's exactly right. I just called them. If the lenses cost $500 I'd end up paying 71% of the overall cost. You see, THIS is why I pay insurance fees. Because I can save less than I end up spending. I have to save at least $232 on this transaction or the insurance cost me more than I save.
Vision insurance is such a racket. You might see if there's an America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses near you, I know they do 2 pairs of bifocals for $100 total but I'm not sure what their deal is on progressive lenses.

Member pays:

If your vision changes from year to year, it's not worth getting premium progressives, in my opinion. I have them and don't find them worth the outlay. Regular progressives are worth the money, or you get a pair of distance glasses and inexpensive reading glasses for up close work.

Or you get lined bifocals and yell at the kids to get the hell off your lawn. :p

Ahhh Colorado, where it's 35 degrees outside and I'm blasting cold air in my car because of the sun. I love winter here.

@Dave You can also get no-line bifocals instead of progressives. The thing with progressive lenses is you also get some intermediate distance power (think computer screen distance), so it's kind of like an unlined trifocal lens. You might have to mention it yourself at the doctor's office if you're interested.

Dave

Staff member
I have to find out if I even need them first. I was just trying to find out what my policy paid before I went. I like to be an informed consumer. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
Random: I just noticed when Fry scans Bender's head with the F-Ray, he's running on a 6502 chip. This was the first really low-cost 8-bit microprocessor chip that ran the Apple ][ and the NES, among many other things.

EDIT: Some googling shows that the writing staff are all a bunch of enormous nerds, in case it wasn't already obvious: http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/the-truth-about-benders-brain
When I first saw that episode, the other folks in the room didn't know why I was laughing so hard.
I debated explaining it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Things to which youtube commenters have compared my voice:

Seth Rogen
Drunk Garalt (Witcher)
Christian Bale's Batman (for a certain part where I snarled out a sentence because I was exasperated at not being able to weld because I'd run out of a certain part)
Fairlight Excalibur (another Youtuber)
Joe Rogan
A robot (???)
The Powerthirst narrator

Dave

Staff member
Today when I went into work a bunch of others were walking out...with boxes. At least 10 people were let go. The mood at my work is...troubling.