[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

There's a guy on Twitter ranting against Gail Simone over Wonder Woman being bisexual (recently revealed in Rucka's run). He's one of those "social justice is bad and SJWs are a blight on society!)" while citing that he only reads comics from the 70s to the 90s.

I wonder if he forgets that the 70s were a time of major social justice upheaval, especially in comics. John Stewart and Jim Rhodes replaced Hal Jordan and Tony Stark. Drug use stories in Spider-Man and Green Arrow. Hell, DC de-powered Wonder Woman and had her go on a mishandled feminist romp in the 70s.

As for her bisexuality, anyone would see it if they paid attention to her comics at ALL in the last 70 years, including her original comics by William Moulton Marston.

There's a guy on Twitter ranting against Gail Simone over Wonder Woman being bisexual (recently revealed in Rucka's run). He's one of those "social justice is bad and SJWs are a blight on society!)" while citing that he only reads comics from the 70s to the 90s.

I wonder if he forgets that the 70s were a time of major social justice upheaval, especially in comics. John Stewart and Jim Rhodes replaced Hal Jordan and Tony Stark. Drug use stories in Spider-Man and Green Arrow. Hell, DC de-powered Wonder Woman and had her go on a mishandled feminist romp in the 70s.

As for her bisexuality, anyone would see it if they paid attention to her comics at ALL in the last 70 years, including her original comics by William Moulton Marston.
Didn't she spend most of her life on an island that was all women?

Zappit

Staff member
I'm not digging the IDW Revolution event going on right now. I've been reading their Transformers books since they started they acquired the rights, and the work has been phenomenal. The characterizations and personalities are terrific, and the art has been great, too. But now they're going to do a shared universe with GI.Joe, M.A.S.K. and Rom the Spaceknight. The last couple issues of the two main books has crossed into that, and eeeehhh...It hasn't had a big impact on the stories, but in don't want that to eventually happen.

However, the obvious Sentinel Prime/Donald Trump parallels are friggin' great.

My wife finally started reading volume 1 of Preacher that she asked for and I got her for her birthday in June.

She's ... kinda hating it.

People either love it or go "the fucking fuck?!" and there's no middle ground.
I'd heard zero criticism of it and assumed it was universally loved. Even on Amazon, I'm not seeing much in the way of negative reviews. The most prominent negative review is about the crappy binding of an overpriced former edition of the first volume.

Kinda wish I hadn't also bought her volume 2. But at least it's not like when I bought her the entirety of Hellsing Ultimate only for her to not even finish the first set. I need to have more reservations when buying her things she asks for, because while I'm sure she knows what she wants, it's impossible to know if you're going to like something before you experience it.

Unless you're a DCEU fan. :awesome: Then you've already decided to love it the moment it's announced and nothing can change that.

Ennis tends to come across as to hateful for my taste.There's a lot of disdain for things he doesn't like and the people who do.

Right now in the comics, under the helm of Bendis, Tony’s lost his fortune, has learned he’s adopted, trying to find his birth parents, dealing with the death of his best friend, dealing with the death of another friend and founding Avenger, losing touch with the teenage superheroes he mentors, is making deals with Doctor Doom, is waging war with and against fellow heroes, and is considering abandoning everything he has and everyone he knows.

squirrel girl tony ira onmann.jpg

… meanwhile, in Squirrel Girl, he’s messing around on Twitter. It’s like a window into a better Marvel universe.

Dave

Staff member
I'd heard zero criticism of it and assumed it was universally loved. Even on Amazon, I'm not seeing much in the way of negative reviews. The most prominent negative review is about the crappy binding of an overpriced former edition of the first volume.

Kinda wish I hadn't also bought her volume 2. But at least it's not like when I bought her the entirety of Hellsing Ultimate only for her to not even finish the first set. I need to have more reservations when buying her things she asks for, because while I'm sure she knows what she wants, it's impossible to know if you're going to like something before you experience it.

Unless you're a DCEU fan. :awesome: Then you've already decided to love it the moment it's announced and nothing can change that.
Here's my review of the series.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/w...tly-reading-thread.29783/page-22#post-1293554

Dammit, I might be dropping Superman soon enough after all. By December they're going to be shifting focus away from Superman and his son to more general Superman adventures and relegating Jon Kent to Super Sons. Which is cool and I'm totally on board for Super Sons, at least conceptually, but the Superman family dynamic was the real reason I got into the current Superman run.

I'm reading in different places that comic book stores are looking at a rougher winter than usual despite having high sales increases during the summer. Why? Well, DC books are still selling strong, but Marvel sales have plummeted post-Civil War II. I'm not surprised; the non-readers are gone even without the event's conclusion because they don't care, so now Marvel just has us, and apparently even their new #1's aren't doing so hot. And I can see why--even if stuff is good like Champions, how can one trust Marvel not to fuck it all up next year? I don't blame the people who are just bailing entirely.

But it sucks for comic book stores that have zero control over Marvel's content, whereas Marvel can continue to exist no matter how badly they fuck up thanks to be owned by Disney.

Problem is all the big changes aren't bringing in new people, and old readers don't want the changes to begin with.

They try to say "oh well people getting mad sells books!" but you can do that only so many times before the ones getting mad give up and tell you to fuck off.

Problem is all the big changes aren't bringing in new people, and old readers don't want the changes to begin with.

They try to say "oh well people getting mad sells books!" but you can do that only so many times before the ones getting mad give up and tell you to fuck off.
And that's where it's gotten. This "u mad bro?" bullshit has gotten to "yes, we are" and people can spend their money elsewhere. The new readers are only temporary. Inhumans vs X-Men will have begun before the final issue of Civil War II.

DC is having an event this winter too, Suicide Squad vs Justice League, but it'll wrap up in those two months and only affect two titles outside the event's series. Everything else gets to keep moving instead of being sucked into a line-wide black hole. As I've said before, I'm actually looking forward to the next big event, partly because Scott Snyder is writing it, but also because they're taking the time to build toward it.

However, for comic book stores it isn't enough. Since each DC book sells $1 less than Marvel (even equal sized event books), the Marvel drops still hurt. It just sucks because there's zero the stores can do about it; they can't really tell Marvel to knock it off any more than the readers can.

Reminds me, I gotta pre-order the DC Holiday Special.

The first solicit screams HELLO FELLOW TEENS, the third is describing a Romeo and Juliet parallel where one character is literally named Romeo.

The second is just kind of there, I guess, but it'll be Bendis writing YA romance so I'm sure it'll be stuttered dialogue topped with stupid colloquialisms people stopped using in 2002.

Just

Just stop Marvel, before you can't come back.

The first solicit screams HELLO FELLOW TEENS, the third is describing a Romeo and Juliet parallel where one character is literally named Romeo.

The second is just kind of there, I guess, but it'll be Bendis writing YA romance so I'm sure it'll be stuttered dialogue topped with stupid colloquialisms people stopped using in 2002.

Just

Just stop Marvel, before you can't come back.
Oh yeah, let's try to make Captain Marvel relatable again. Hah!

Word is that Morrison's Animal Man omnibus is going out of print. In case anyone was stalling on picking it up, you should probably get on it before it becomes expensive.

Yeah garbage was a bit too strong of a word, I suppose. I find that he has huge issues with perspective, anatomy and facial expressions (the last one's not always an issue), though, and his art always makes it harder for me to enjoy a story.

Which I don't get at all, but wasn't necessarily my point in the first place.
Well not all of them are mexicans, and you really think people from different countries stop hating each other because they're in a 3rd country where the locals can't tell the difference? More likely it just makes them hate the other guys more for making the locals think they too are "insert racist stereotype".