[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

But this is how boycotts work. Yes, it sucks for the people there that didn't support the new regime, but these are areas that voted on the premise that people like Perez and Ramos aren't welcome here. It's like the performers who refused to play in NC after they passed the anti-transgender laws, or back to the 60's when African Americans boycotted segregated establishments. Besides, we've already talked in other threads that there has been a rise in bigoted attacks since the election.

People said with this election they wanted to change the status quo, and then start wondering why we can't go on with business as usual. You can't have it both ways.

When the fuck is DC going to do something with Plastic Man? I miss him. B'wana Beast to, he's alive and what-not again.
He gets something every time trademark renewal comes up. That's about it. Plastic-man hasn't really been a big character since...well he hasn't been consistently used since his Golden Age series. He's one of the many, many characters DC has who's on the mini-series and guest star level, like Adam Strange and Captain MarvelShazam. Could be worse though, he could be in permanent guest star/team member territory, like Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, or the Phantom Stranger.

He gets something every time trademark renewal comes up. That's about it. Plastic-man hasn't really been a big character since...well he hasn't been consistently used since his Golden Age series. He's one of the many, many characters DC has who's on the mini-series and guest star level, like Adam Strange and Captain MarvelShazam. Could be worse though, he could be in permanent guest star/team member territory, like Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, or the Phantom Stranger.
The last time he was prominent is when he was on Morrison's JLA (and then Waid's follow up).

I know he's planned to get some play in the JLA Action cartoon series. He's in the intro and everything. But a comic? *shrug*
Honestly, it seems like animation is where DC is more willing to use Plastic Man these days. He had the series of DC Nation shorts, he was pretty prominent on Brave and the Bold, and now there is Justice League Action.

The last time he was prominent is when he was on Morrison's JLA (and then Waid's follow up).
Yeah. He had that 2004 Kyle Baker series too, but that could hardly be considered prominent. DC is loaded with great characters, even if most of them can't be supported by the market. One of the things I'm liking about DC Rebirth is that it's creating an environment where these "lost" characters can be featured and utilized.

Yeah. He had that 2004 Kyle Baker series too, but that could hardly be considered prominent. DC is loaded with great characters, even if most of them can't be supported by the market. One of the things I'm liking about DC Rebirth is that it's creating an environment where these "lost" characters can be featured and utilized.
I was always more a fan of Elongated Man, but that's the mystery reader/writer in me.

I HATE that we never got a Ralph & Sue: Ghost Detectives series like was teased at the end of 52. Apparently, all that was Mark Waid's idea and he was game for a series or mini-series that never happened.

I was always more a fan of Elongated Man, but that's the mystery reader/writer in me.

I HATE that we never got a Ralph & Sue: Ghost Detectives series like was teased at the end of 52. Apparently, all that was Mark Waid's idea and he was game for a series or mini-series that never happened.
Closest you'll get is in Chuck Dixon's short lived Batman & the Outsiders series. Batman recruits them for a mission, and they're basically detective versions of Deadman. That last set of Outsiders was pretty good, it ran into issues with the Dan Didio/Chuck Dixon blowup and Batman R.I.P., but it and the Peter J. Tomasi Outsiders series that followed were fun.

Once again, the Injustice comic is proven to be a better version of the DC universe than the MAIN DC universe.

Should I assume its the same thing with Dr.Fate? I read he JUST had a relaunch last year after a two year break. So weird, he's basically DC's Dr.Strange, you'd think they'd do more with him.

fade

Staff member
Once again, the Injustice comic is proven to be a better version of the DC universe than the MAIN DC universe.

Should I assume its the same thing with Dr.Fate? I read he JUST had a relaunch last year after a two year break. So weird, he's basically DC's Dr.Strange, you'd think they'd do more with him.
For real. Better writing and art than a lot of the main universe stuff out there. In the writers' defenses, it's probably got a lot to do with the freedom of a "fictional" story.[DOUBLEPOST=1481143622,1481143416][/DOUBLEPOST]Also why is it that every time there's an alternate universe, Ollie dies? He's like the JLA butt-monkey.

BananaHands

Staff member
And here we see the current state of Marvel Comics:

Civil War II #5, #6, #7 and Spider-Man 9 all have the exact same two page spread. Each of these books are $4.99.

...I hate those pages for two reasons. ONE-it almost looks like Spider-man ripped out Captain America's heart. TWO-why the fuck couldn't they just make that one big splash page? Making it four panels just makes it look tacky.

BananaHands

Staff member
...I hate those pages for two reasons. ONE-it almost looks like Spider-man ripped out Captain America's heart. TWO-why the fuck couldn't they just make that one big splash page? Making it four panels just makes it look tacky.
It is one big splash page. It's four different books.

I'm not even pirating; I just see the highlights. Reading Bendis is not going to do my brain any favors.[DOUBLEPOST=1481200207,1481200116][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or even better, don't waste time reading them at all. Rather, spend time reading books you'd enjoy and support said books.

Like, for example, a lot of books Image puts out.
I end up waiting for the trades because Image puts out the kind of stuff I want to keep on the shelf and reread. Maybe if I ever get caught up on an Image series I'll change that.

Holy shit the new Venom comic is dumb as hell.

New host is a flat, edgy caricature and the symbiote is losing any decent development as its own entity because of this awful, awful writing.

Also, more shitty villain-because-muh-rep Black Cat.

Ugh.

Holy shit the new Venom comic is dumb as hell.

New host is a flat, edgy caricature and the symbiote is losing any decent development as its own entity because of this awful, awful writing.

Also, more shitty villain-because-muh-rep Black Cat.

Ugh.
GRAH-just stick with one freakin' damn host! VENOM IS NOT THE MASK!

And now that I've finished the second issue of this fucking trainwreck, spoilered commentary.

Venom is apparently weak from being without a host, so he's stuck with Edgy McDarksoul for awhile. Can't control his higher brain like it used to do with others because HE HAS ARMY TRAINING. The new host (Lee) meets up with Black Cat after killing everyone else he was doing some back-alley deal with, tries to get in on her new crime empire as a goon (alongside her bodyguard, Mac Gargan). Venom doesn't want Lee to fall in with these people and tries to screw it up by making Lee puke in front of them. Doesn't work.

Some guy shows up claiming to be Firebug as Lee heads home. Burns the place to the ground and VENOM STANDS THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLAZE LIKE NOTHING'S WRONG. Some FBI agent that's been following Lee shows up saying "I have no idea who you are" to fucking Venom like the agent must have been living under a rock for the last few decades.

It's bad. The only redeeming bit right now is the Symbiote has its own personality and goals, making it by far the most interesting character in the book.

BananaHands

Staff member
And now that I've finished the second issue of this fucking trainwreck, spoilered commentary.

Venom is apparently weak from being without a host, so he's stuck with Edgy McDarksoul for awhile. Can't control his higher brain like it used to do with others because HE HAS ARMY TRAINING. The new host (Lee) meets up with Black Cat after killing everyone else he was doing some back-alley deal with, tries to get in on her new crime empire as a goon (alongside her bodyguard, Mac Gargan). Venom doesn't want Lee to fall in with these people and tries to screw it up by making Lee puke in front of them. Doesn't work.

Some guy shows up claiming to be Firebug as Lee heads home. Burns the place to the ground and VENOM STANDS THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLAZE LIKE NOTHING'S WRONG. Some FBI agent that's been following Lee shows up saying "I have no idea who you are" to fucking Venom like the agent must have been living under a rock for the last few decades.

It's bad. The only redeeming bit right now is the Symbiote has its own personality and goals, making it by far the most interesting character in the book.
That issue was garbage. This series is garbage. Bring back Brock. This edgy ordeal should have ended by the end of issue 1 like this:

That issue was garbage. This series is garbage. Bring back Brock. This edgy ordeal should have ended by the end of issue 1 like this:

You know a comic is bad, when "Marvel Knights Spider-Man" is a better story...seriously fuck that comic for making Scorpion Venom-THAT MADE NO SENSE!

BananaHands

Staff member
You know a comic is bad, when "Marvel Knights Spider-Man" is a better story...seriously fuck that comic for making Scorpion Venom-THAT MADE NO SENSE!
What world do I live in where the Venom comic is garbage yet the Carnage comic has been pretty solid.

I miss Agent Venom too. He had a fun story and a cute lil Venom sidekick.

I will admit to liking Agent Venom more than I thought, as that whole 24 hour time limit gave a neat espionage feel, also while it meant Eddie BROCK wouldn't be Venom, at least we got a Scorpion back semi-balancing out the universe....despite, the symbiote apparently weakening Scorpion despite that his mutated DNA should've been able to handle it like Spider-man could-GRAH-I don't understand the world no more.

Okay seriously-WHO THE FUCK IS IN CHARGE OF THESE BULL-SHIT TITLE NAMES?! Batman Rebirth: 1 is the REAL start, and then what follows is DC Universe Rebirth Batman number 1-FUCKING WHY?! Also while I like the Lark costume....it kind of makes him look like a Pikachu. Now I'm wandering who Bluebird is going to be. Hope its not Damian, he does NOT look like a Bluebird.

The book is just Batman. The DC Rebirth is just a line wide identifier, like "The New 52" or "Marvel NOW" (both of them).

Blue bird is a character named Harper Row, introduced in Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's run on Batman. She's a self taught expert of Gotham's electric grid, and a talent for engineering.