[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

I know I say this all the time, but it's shit like this that makes me glad I'm not buying anything new from either company these days.

WELL *CLAP* I just read an article saying the AMC version of Tulip is a bad-ass step-up from the comics version, as well as mentioning she's better than Skylar White for WANTING the anti-hero main character to do bad things...because being a psychotic enabler is now feminist and bad-ass. Fuck the world, fuck it so hard in the dick.

Exactly. What does that even mean? They're whole game plan nowadays is anger money. They've said outright in interviews that people being mad at them is just as good as people liking their stuff. And they're right; because the more rage is spewed, the more attention, they more sales.
Yeah, I vaguely remember Slott reveling in the whole thing back at the start of Superior Spider-Man.

As a concept, I don't have a problem with the character dying, just so long as they do it respectfully. Wolverine got a mini-series devoted to it. It wasn't "let's drag him out here and shoot him" disgusting treatment by the other heroes you have here. It wasn't one of these spread panels of "look, everyone turned out for this shit show!" I don't know why that bugs me so much, the big crowd shots from this and AvX, but they just feel wrong for some reason. There's just no reason to gather every Marvel hero together for this shit.

And then the marketing, "OH MAN this will divide the fans for years!"

... into what? Who jumps ship and who puts up with this shit? This isn't the fulcrum of Civil War where each side had a point, but Marvel painted one as evil anyway. One of their most iconic heroes was murdered. He was defenseless, pulled out of his place by people now far stronger than him, and murdered. And he's received shit treatment for years, because when he's not saving the day, it feels like they wish he'd just vanish. Never mind the times he's helped save the world. Never mind when he held up a collapsing ceiling for hours to keep his friends from dying. That he was psychologically or mentally ill despite his brilliance and his power never really mattered.

I know I say this all the time, but it's shit like this that makes me glad I'm not buying anything new from either company these days.
At this point I'm down to three from Marvel--two humor comics written by webcomic authors, and then one legitimately good superhero comic by an author who has made no secret on Twitter how much she hates how Marvel operates, but she loves the character she's created and doesn't want to abandon her yet to Marvel's machine. She even promised her readers that her event tie-in would not require reading other titles. I wish I was reading whatever story arc she had planned next before Civil War II overtook her comic. I can't imagine the frustration of being in that position.

At this point I'm down to three from Marvel--two humor comics written by webcomic authors, and then one legitimately good superhero comic by an author who has made no secret on Twitter how much she hates how Marvel operates, but she loves the character she's created and doesn't want to abandon her yet to Marvel's machine. She even promised her readers that her event tie-in would not require reading other titles. I wish I was reading whatever story arc she had planned next before Civil War II overtook her comic. I can't imagine the frustration of being in that position.
If that was me at that point, I'd walk, go to Image, and create a similar but different enough character over there.

So at this point the core Avengers have been dismantled, or will be by October.

- Steve Rogers was dead, then old, and is now brainwashed into Hydra
- Thor Odinson has been unworthy for a while now and will be getting a solo series to explore this
- Banner RIP
- And Tony Stark will be stepping down or dying in the months to come

I think we can all see where this is going. There will be a big comeback event, probably written by Bendis even though Marvel has so many more talented writers, where the four of them will be reinstated just in time for the next Avengers movie.

It used to be that the series' would just get rebooted about every 10-20 years. Earth-1/Earth-2 and that sort of thing.
Now it seems like rather than do an actual reboot, they're trying to kill off/permanently discredit/depower "the old guard" so they can all be replaced by new characters who are regarded as more topically relevant somehow.

It used to be that the series' would just get rebooted about every 10-20 years. Earth-1/Earth-2 and that sort of thing.
Now it seems like rather than do an actual reboot, they're trying to kill off/permanently discredit/depower "the old guard" so they can all be replaced by new characters who are regarded as more topically relevant somehow.
Ah, so the DC Comics 90s approach to comics.

The first issue of Unworthy Thor shows him reaching for Ultimate Thor's hammer, so I guess we're just adding Thor to the list of heroes that have multiple people with the same moniker, because fuck original characters when you can just slap the name on whoever you want.

The first issue of Unworthy Thor shows him reaching for Ultimate Thor's hammer, so I guess we're just adding Thor to the list of heroes that have multiple people with the same moniker, because fuck original characters when you can just slap the name on whoever you want.
It's been that way for a while now thanks to Secret Wars. To be fair, some villains have considered anyone with the hammer to be a Thor. Shocker in one issue of She-Hulk is listing enemies that villains in his class shouldn't mess with. "Man Thor, Woman Thor, Horse Thor."

Weird thing is, Marvel was doing that kind of reboot just last year, but then they chickened out and instead said "eight months passed," in which they could make whatever continuity changes they wanted and explain it away by saying it happened in the narrative jump. But as for any Crisis type situation, it was a war between realities and the core Marvel universe won, so no reboot.

As for Hulk in this sense, Amadeus Cho has been Hulk for a bit now instead of Banner, but they were doing interesting things with non-Hulk Banner. He was getting the chance to explore and experience emotions that had been taken over by the Hulk for years. It was really cool character stuff--now cut short because of this dumb event.

Ah, so the DC Comics 90s approach to comics.
In some cases, it works. Miles Morales, Kamala Khan--but then, they didn't replace Spider-man, and Carol Danvers had abandoned the Ms. Marvel title. In other cases, people don't have a problem with it because the characters already existed. Sam Wilson is a fine Captain America, for example. I think if Rhodey had taken over for Tony Stark instead of dying, as he's done in the past, no one would have a problem with that. I don't have a problem with Riri Williams, except that her series will be Bendis-written.
The overall idea being to have new characters get popular in the old roles, then bring back the old characters, and then have even more marketability. But we can't pretend this is always bad. How many Green Lanterns have we had? And I've seen more than one person on here express Wally West as their favorite Flash.

Several series won't be continuing in October, among them Ant-Man, A-Force, Uncanny All-New Inhumans (EDIT: oops!), Karnak, and Agents of SHIELD. I have a feeling Hellcat will end shortly after, but I could be wrong and it's just the author leaving. Giving up on Inhumans titles surprises me considering how much Marvel is pushing them. With Death of X taking front stage, I'm wondering if they're optimistic about a deal with Fox after all.

Last edited:
UGH-I just want an inexpensive color collected edition of the 86-87 Booster Gold Run, print OR digital! ALSO-we need more Mindancer, she kicked ASS!

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh look, they've completely redesigned Negasonic Teenage Warhead and pulled more random shit out of the hat for her powers yet again!

This time her powers are (shuffle shuffle dice roll, consult chart) precognition and tae kwon do!

Oh look, they've completely redesigned Negasonic Teenage Warhead and pulled more random shit out of the hat for her powers yet again!

This time her powers are (shuffle shuffle dice roll, consult chart) precognition and tae kwon do!
To be fair, I think precognition was one of her powers originally. The rumor I've been hearing is that she might get experimented upon, causing her to get the look and powers she featured in the Deadpool movie.

To be fair, I think precognition was one of her powers originally. The rumor I've been hearing is that she might get experimented upon, causing her to get the look and powers she featured in the Deadpool movie.
I think this is what's happening. The autumn preview cover for one of Deadpool's handful of titles shows her looking like her movie version.

Separate comics rant: Marvel's rebooting really makes hunting down back collections a pain in the ass. I wouldn't be able to figure out Jonathan Hickman's of Fantastic Four if not for info from OOP omnibus editions. But really ... Fantastic Four few some issues, then it becomes FF, until Marvel realizes they'd hit issue 600 and turns it back into Fantastic Four. FF ran for what, two years? Nobody foresaw that when they switched it to FF #1 they'd just have to switch back for Fantastic Four #600 in two short years?

So trying to buy the little trades is cumbersome. I managed to find the contents of the first omnibus for $25 on eBay, versus the actual omnibus selling at $300, but the second is more of a mess and I'll probably just buy the 800+ page version than piecemeal ... once I have money again. However long from now that is.

HAPPY CIVIL WAR II DAY!

It's issue 4, which ... is actually better written and planned out than the earlier issues, much to my surprise. Maybe Bendis had more time to work on this one. That said, editorial edict demands that Carol Danvers still be written like a total asshole.

Ulysses predicts someone's a secret Hydra agent (but not Steve Rogers, somehow). Carol and the Future Fascists of America go to arrest her, find her suitcase empty of what's supposed to be in there, get pissy with Ulysses ... SO Tony Stark gathers everyone, reveals his brain scan on Ulysses (backed up by Beast) to show that it's all just math, with a 10% rate of accuracy.

Carol gets pissy being called out on this, flies off (Bendis throws in a timely quip -_-). She implies she's going to plant evidence on the innocent woman she's detained, but then said woman is rescued by Nightcrawler. Now that Tony's side has outright undermined Carol's authority, it's time for the true WAAAAR!

Fuuuuck this event. It amazes me that Marvel is on one hand cheering for Brie Larson to portray Carol Danvers in their first female-led superhero movie in the MCU, and on the other hand have the comics building Carol into a world-conquering supervillain.

Also, this week's issue of Ms. Marvel largely sucked, with her trying to control Carol's Hitler Youth group, and the only bright spot being the first handful of pages that take place in Pakistan when Kamala was only a fetus.

Yeah it was pretty bad.

Other things of note, when Carol storms out after refusing to listen to hard facts that even fucking BEAST is like "yeah Tony's right" about, she says "Rhodey would have wanted it this way" to Tony's face. When he says something back she's immediately like NO TONY FUCK OFF and flies through the roof to leave.

Also Carol breaks the news
about Banner's death by Hawkeye's hands to She-Hulk, who is on the mend. It isn't shown how Jenn takes it but what fucking kills me is Carol doesn't bother to mention that SHE FUCKING BROUGHT AN ARMY TO STOP BANNER even though he doesn't Hulk out anymore. Yeah she didn't know Hawkeye was gonna snipe Banner but she brought all those people there. Hawkeye is also acquitted and murder charges are dropped against him.

Perhaps the funniest (and dumbest) thing is the big pose-fest at the end when sides are about to clash. Tony has some of the biggest powerhouses in the world on his side at this point, including Doctor Strange, Nova, Thor and Cyclops. Carol postures and out of fucking nowehere the GotG show up (Groot, Rocket, Starlord, Kitty Pryde/Quinn, Venom, Gamora and Thing) like anyone in that group can stop fucking THOR, let alone the rest of Tony's crew.

Also, seriously, Thing would NEVER be on Carol's side for this bullshit.[DOUBLEPOST=1469668442,1469668249][/DOUBLEPOST]OH AND EVEN MORE HILARIOUS!

Jean Grey is on Carol's team at the end for some fucking reason, you know, the TELEPATH THAT COULD SOLVE ALL THESE PROBLEMS.

Jean Grey can't read Ulysses's mind ... because there isn't one! :awesome:

What pissed me off with She-Hulk ... the several things that pissed me off with She-Hulk

- Copy/paste panels. Guess they're taking notes from Kurtz. :rimshot:
- How blah Jen is, and then she hulks out, and then ... celebration for Hawkeye?
- Carol goes about it so poorly. She wanted to tell Jen herself because they're friends, but then handles the news in the most disinterested doctor of ways. A-Force in October shows the two smiling in a tropical setting with the rest of their team, so somehow in the next two months they're friends again? Probably because in A-Force and The Ultimates, Carol is written as herself.
- And as you said, Carol doesn't actually explain what the hell happened.

I don't understand why anyone would be interested in a glorified revitalization of the fucking Clone Saga.
Apparently not enough people are for Slott! :awesome:

I actually came here to post about this. Gee, I wonder why people aren't interested in this. HMMM.

In other today's Marvel news, She-Hulk is getting a new series ... of angst. Spinning off the events of Civil War II, she's essentially going back to her savage days and becoming Gray She-Hulk, with her powers out of her control and fueled by rage. So Amadeus Cho becomes the new She-Hulk in the sense that he and his powers are in sync, while Jennifer Walters becomes the new uncontrollable anger behemoth in place of her now-dead cousin.

It's not like Hulk going gray didn't lead to interesting stories, but Peter David pretty much turned him into a bad guy for that, at least until later. If they were turning Jen into a bad guy, that might be an interesting avenue to explore, especially since the solicits and covers make it look like the people responsible for Bruce's death are going to win in the end. The way they describe it right now, it sounds like angst, and it does hurt a lot of the appeal of She-Hulk as one of the very few well-adjusted, generally happy with her life heroes in the Marvel universe.

I might pick it up, just to see. I'm going to finish Dan Slott's nonsense run, I might as well give this writer a shot.

I'm nearing the end of Slott's run of She-Hulk. Unfortunately Tony Stark is still in Totalitarian Stark mode from the first Civil War, so he acts like a baby when She-Hulk finds out what the Illuminati did to Bruce Banner, and then

he takes her power away with these nanites, allegedly permanently. Now, we know it's not, but as a character, Jen would be horrified because she loved being She-Hulk. Instead ... Slott writes her response as "I'll sue!" to Tony.

But, these were still the repercussions of everyone acting out of character and it's a crap run anyway. It's shit like this that makes me nervous for anything Marvel does at this point. Maybe this new angry Jen comic could be great--but what difference will that make when next summer hits and it's time for Civil War III or the like?

I'm nearing the end of Slott's run of She-Hulk. Unfortunately Tony Stark is still in Totalitarian Stark mode from the first Civil War, so he acts like a baby when She-Hulk finds out what the Illuminati did to Bruce Banner, and then

he takes her power away with these nanites, allegedly permanently. Now, we know it's not, but as a character, Jen would be horrified because she loved being She-Hulk. Instead ... Slott writes her response as "I'll sue!" to Tony.

But, these were still the repercussions of everyone acting out of character and it's a crap run anyway. It's shit like this that makes me nervous for anything Marvel does at this point. Maybe this new angry Jen comic could be great--but what difference will that make when next summer hits and it's time for Civil War III or the like?
Oh lord I remember one of the comics right after that, the in-universe news was all "One of the worst lovers spats of the century!"

Seeing Green Scar Hulk kick Tony's ass...was just TOO satisfying.