[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

The book is just Batman. The DC Rebirth is just a line wide identifier, like "The New 52" or "Marvel NOW" (both of them).

Blue bird is a character named Harper Row, introduced in Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's run on Batman. She's a self taught expert of Gotham's electric grid, and a talent for engineering.
*Looks up character immediately after this* Oooooooooooooh noooooooooooo that's a bad costume. It's like they meshed Sombra, Nightwing, and Red Hood all together. I'm just mocking the costume by the way, TOTAL confidence that the character could be good.

BananaHands

Staff member
*Looks up character immediately after this* Oooooooooooooh noooooooooooo that's a bad costume. It's like they meshed Sombra, Nightwing, and Red Hood all together. I'm just mocking the costume by the way, TOTAL confidence that the character could be good.
Not a fan of Harper in the slightest, but that's just me. Not sure why she rubs me the wrong way.

Cassandra Cain, on the other hand? Best Batgirl.

Felt like I half-predicted that knowledge about the character, good to know. OH-DC, you may have improved but you are FAR from perfect...seriously, ENOUGH Batman sidekicks, even tier 2 sidekicks its just superfluous!
But how else will they get more Bat-books? Batman's already in Batman, Detective Comics, All-Star Batman, Justice League, and the upcoming Justice League of America. Guy's stretched pretty thin these days. Maybe he could send of one of the dozen kids he's taken under his wing to fill in for a bit.

TRUE, if Detective Comics focuses on someone OTHER than Batman for several story-archs that would be a step in the right direction. Seriously, its been mostly Batman's second title for decades where origininally it was a legit detective anthology that would sometimes feature Batman. Like how Action comics wasn't JUST Superman's thing, it also had Zatara, the most forgotten hero with a legacy character-EVER!

Last edited:
I really wish there was a GOOD comic book news site out there. I usually rely on Bleeding Cool since they tend to break the news first. But their articles are usually lazily edited, cheap click-bait about spoilers (where they'll go "neener neener, we know something but can't tell you, but we'll make a news post about it, anyway!"), regularly attack creators for something they said on Twitter, post Twitter feuds, and have recently gotten into the business of fake, "funny" articles.

But the site itself is clean and well-formatted and the news they DO break is usually the first compared to other sites.

Meanwhile, I keep looking for other sites, but I run into the same problems:

1) Horribly formatted: Either they'll have that sliding top articles thing or you have to scroll for just 1 or 2 articles rather than seeing a bunch all at once like Bleeding Cool. I have a LOT of problems with Bleeding Cool, but their site formatting isn't one of them.
2) Even worse click-bait articles, as if they're imitating Buzzfeed (Top 10 things of this!)
3) Too much focus on comic book RELATED news, like movies and TV shows.
4) Barely any mention of work outside of the Big 2.
5) No decent insightful articles that dig deeper into just news or something eventful.
6) Fake, "funny" news that's mixed in with the legitimate articles.

There's really a lack of two things I miss from some comic sites (and magazines like Wizard): good criticism of a book or series and interviews with creators. The criticism isn't necessarily bad, but picking apart the comic and talking about what works and doesn't work, or finding more meaning behind it. As for interviews, my favourite was when a site interviewed Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker about Gotham Central. They said at one point, "These guys aren't part of the Bat-family. If they found Robin dead in an alley, they wouldn't know if it was actually Robin or just some kid dressed up as him." Then they suddenly looked at each other and said, "Huh," and excused themselves because they just created the opening for the Dead Robin story.

This isn't so much bitching, but we don't have (or need) a Random Comics thread:

I bought Mark Waid's Flash Volume One yesterday with my Christmas money. Definitely can't wait for the rest of his run to be collected because previously published trades missed so much of his run, especially the later half of it.

Anyway, I think I'll sell or trade in my Geoff Johns Flash omnibuses and get the trades instead. The Mark Waid volume uses the same spine design as the Johns' books, so they'd all look really great together on the shelf.

Last edited:

BananaHands

Staff member
Marvel Overships Titles to Retailers by 10% in January

What the fuck is going on with Marvel? They're so lackluster and in response they're just going to artificially inflate their sales numbers this way? Even though a Marvel spokesman said that it wouldn't influence it, it's absurd that these comics are so bad that they can't even give them away for free:

Also, I find it hard to believe that this shit doesn't affect their numbers when in November they won the marketshare even though their comics under-performed.

Marvel Overships Titles to Retailers by 10% in January

What the fuck is going on with Marvel? They're so lackluster and in response they're just going to artificially inflate their sales numbers this way? Even though a Marvel spokesman said that it wouldn't influence it, it's absurd that these comics are so bad that they can't even give them away for free:

Also, I find it hard to believe that this shit doesn't affect their numbers when in November they won the marketshare even though their comics under-performed.
Unbelievable. What a load of shit, and apathetic to the added shipping costs. Fucking hell.

And it sounds like they know these are garbage, because it's not like they don't have any good comics, but those aren't the ones they overship. It's just the new stuff they're desperate to move, meanwhile DC soaks up more readers by giving them cool stuff. Superman began an arc this week, Multiplicity, a sequel to Morrison's Multiversity. Pre-Flashpoint Superman meets up with Red Son Superman, dammit. That's the kinda shit that's worth a read. Not every Guardians character getting a solo, not shoving Inhumans down X-Men fans throats and hoping they'll swallow.

Former comic retailer here....

We tended to order what we thought would sell of #1, and then slash orders on #2 issues, it was a very predictable pattern, unless it was a "big name" creator or major title reboot. We ordered up to 3 issues completely blind, with the possibility of starting some feedback before final orders were due for #3. I can understand them wanting to try to push the new titles (when numbers declined so drastically), but not covering at least part of the shipping is completely bogus. Sometimes were were burned and got stuck in re-order hell, but most of the time I still had #2 sitting even with reduced orders numbers on untested or unknowns.

Some good reporting by Rich Johnston (I know, I'm as surprised as everyone else).

There are a couple things wrong with Marvel's practice. It's unhealthy for the comic market, and actively harms retailers, and if they really had confidence in the books they're forcing on retailers they would be offering returnability which is good for retailers and more healthy to the industry. It's also them just flat out lying to their advertisers.

If I ever work for DC, I want to make a story where Wonder Woman gets her DNA spliced with Doomsday's, and the main character will try to stop her by throwing a candy bar at her, failing miserably.

Everyone: "Marvel seriously can we just give events a break and like, build up all these new characters you can't seem to stop shitting out?"

Marvel: "We totally hear you, and in honor of that SECRET EMPIRE NEW EVENT COMING IN 2017!"

Everyone: "Marvel seriously can we just give events a break and like, build up all these new characters you can't seem to stop shitting out?"

Marvel: "We totally hear you, and in honor of that SECRET EMPIRE NEW EVENT COMING IN 2017!"
If Kamala Khan's solo gets hijacked for another fucking event, I'm reporting Marvel to CPS.

So...apparently....Nick Spencer made Magneto...the holocaust survivor...a nazi....*MASSIVE INTERNAL SCREAMING* WHY IS HE STILL AROUND?! HIS IDEAS ARE SHIT!

So...apparently....Nick Spencer made Magneto...the holocaust survivor...a nazi....*MASSIVE INTERNAL SCREAMING* WHY IS HE STILL AROUND?! HIS IDEAS ARE SHIT!
Not just Nick. A whole bunch of others has to take part for this to see print. As in multiple people were okay with making Magneto join the Nazis.

As I said in the MCU thread: FUCK MARVEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fade

Staff member
From what I read, it's just a variant cover. He doesn't actually join Hydra in the pages of the book.

Yeah that doesn't make it better, Nick Spencer is pulling the same sensationalist crap Superman artists did in the Silver Age where they made Superman look like a DICK on the cover-BUT IT TURNS OUT-it was just his secret plan.

BananaHands

Staff member
Man, I actually kind of enjoy this Captain Hydra. It's tie-ins with Civil War 2 actually made the event's bullshit story make some sense as it was Captain America's master keikaku.

Anyone here know if Highwater is a real Indian sur-name? You know like, James Highwater from Animal Man? I have yet to find proof that it is, closest I could find is "Jamake Highwater", and he was famed for RAKING his heritage.

Anyone here know if Highwater is a real Indian sur-name? You know like, James Highwater from Animal Man? I have yet to find proof that it is, closest I could find is "Jamake Highwater", and he was famed for RAKING his heritage.
Native American surnames are not traditional. But that ship has long sailed. Which means, really, Native Americans could have any surname--including Smith.

The following is a list of the most common surnames for people who self-identified as "American Indians and Alaskan Natives" in America during the 2000 Census. The data is derived from the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
http://names.mongabay.com/data/indians.html

On the one hand I want to buy Superman 19, and Green Lanterns 20/19(I forget which one is newest) tomorrow, in Philly, but on the other hand the weather will be shitty...and it'll be St.Patricks day weekend...in Philly...which is horrifying. Not so much a complaint about comics perse, more about weather and the horror that is St.Patrick's day Weekend affecting me buying comics.

On the one hand I want to buy Superman 19, and Green Lanterns 20/19(I forget which one is newest) tomorrow, in Philly, but on the other hand the weather will be shitty...and it'll be St.Patricks day weekend...in Philly...which is horrifying. Not so much a complaint about comics perse, more about weather and the horror that is St.Patrick's day Weekend affecting me buying comics.
Where do you usually go, Atomic City Comics on South or... the other one, which I can't remember the name. I want to say it's off of South, like around 4th?

Where do you usually go, Atomic City Comics on South or... the other one, which I can't remember the name. I want to say it's off of South, like around 4th?
Yeah its primarily Atomic City, or Fat Jacks for me. Usually Fat Jacks first, they have have a better selection of back issues, Atomic City of course has the best trade and tankoban selection. Need to stop by Brave New Worlds again some time, they have some nice Indie books-INCLUDING MINE!

Yeah its primarily Atomic City, or Fat Jacks for me. Usually Fat Jacks first, they have have a better selection of back issues, Atomic City of course has the best trade and tankoban selection. Need to stop by Brave New Worlds again some time, they have some nice Indie books-INCLUDING MINE!
Brave New Worlds, that's who I was thinking of. There also used to be a good place on Chestnut between Broad and 15th, but they closed.

How did I never run across Fat Jack's?! It was way closer to my old apartment than Atomic. Grrrr...

Yeah its just so convenient when I'm coming from 30th streeth, nice bike ride to 20th, and if I got 10 bucks to spare I'll stop by the Gyro nazi and get a nice platter. Seriously, near 20th and Market-AMAZING truck, he never makes the same thing every day. Last time there was a nice plum in my meal-A FREAKING PLUM-it was delicious. ONLY DOWNSIDE-guy does not provide plastic utensils.