TGWTG 3rd Year Anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna lie, this makes me sad :(
Same. Was very disappointed when he posted the video about it.

They say the character may appear again, but it won't be a normal weekly video. He will likely become just a cameo type character for other projects and collaborations.

Not sure how I feel about the new idea. It sounds like "To Boldly Flee" was a testing ground to see if they could run some sort of weekly satire based on movies, much like how "To Boldly Flee" satirized the entire Sci-Fi genre and it's staple films. I though TBF was great, but I am not sure if I could stand something like that weekly.

Oh, so I guessed right with the scooby doo episode and the movie ending. Better end something on a high note before it becomes stale.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../video-updates/36516-no-more-nostalgia-critic

I look forward to new stuff. There's some exciting stuff going on, it sounds like.[DOUBLEPOST=1347689997][/DOUBLEPOST]I am concerned, however that Phalous and Lupa haven't put out any new videos in a while I'm hoping it is just while To Boldly Flee was running. Spoony cranked out 2 countermoneys in a week.

I really hope Spoony comes back to TGWTG
Lupa is in Canada for two months visiting. She posted on her twitter that videos from them would be kinda sparse during that time.

Hard to do videos when yer naked.

I keed, I keed.

So it's official, "To Boldly Flee" was the end of the Nostalgia Critic. Doug and Rob plan to move on to a new idea in the coming months.
Man...that's gonna take some getting used to. Ah well, I'm sure its still gonna be awesome! I wonder if they'll do that beer show they made a trailer for a few years back.

End of the Nostalgia Critic? Then I guess I'm done with that site as a whole.

I found their whole -movie- serieses boring as all hell and the only reason I even went to that site anymore was the occasional Nostalgia Critic. With AVGN gone, Spoony almost never doing videos anymore (other than boring counter-monkey), Lord Kat not doing game reviews anymore and Nostalgia Critic calling it quits, there's not much of a good game review site left anywhere.

What a disappointment.

Sage, Angry Joe, and Jew Wario still do game reviews. Hell, game reviews are about all Angry Joe does.

And Counter Monkey is great. It's only boring if you don't play tabletop.

As for AVGN... I think he's in post production for his movie.

Sage, Angry Joe and Jew Wario just didn't have much of a -pull- for me, that goes for Phalous too. Only shows I really enjoyed online were Spoony, Nostalgia Critic and AVGN. Now with all three practically dead I find myself having a problem. As for Counter Monkey, I don't play tabletop.

Ok...? What about every other reviewer on the site? There's over 30 on Ca...and there Blistered Thumbs has their own website solely devoted to gaming news and reviews.

Spoony isn't dead, he's just working through shit... namely his bipolar disorder, which gives him both maniac moments where he gets tons done and depressive moments where he gets NOTHING done. He's switched to a new medicine after the crap with CA and he's actually doing much better. It's just going to take a bit for Part 1 of Final Fantasy 13 to come out.

Also, the ending to the Ultima 9 series was AMAZING. The whole thing really channeled how he was feeling at the moment and I think it really made it that much better.

His FF13 thing is going to take a while, he said, because the original footage got corrupted...so he has to play it AGAIN.

I really enjoy his Counter Monkeys. Years ago I bought 3.5 box sext for a cheap price. I played one game with a punch of jerks that made it a frustrating experince. He has inspired me to crack them open again..t.hought I tihnk I need to sit in a as a player before I go to DMing.

Easier said then done. :(

I honestly think 3-3.5 is the best version of D&D, but 5th is changing my mine because it's just so much easier to play. You don't need a ton of graphs to play or a massive spell list.

I honestly think 3-3.5 is the best version of D&D, but 5th is changing my mine because it's just so much easier to play. You don't need a ton of graphs to play or a massive spell list.
I'm reading stuff but finding I'm having a hard time taking in the info. Movement rules is where I really trip up. My D&D savvy friend suggested I just skip on movement rules and concentrate on everything else.

Even if the Nostalgia Critic series is over, we still have great comedic reviewers like Linkara and Film Brain. Plus Doug is making a new series so its not like he's gone forever.

Of any reviewer that I wish I could stand, it'd be Linkara. He CAN be funny and brings up some good points about the comics he reviews...

...if only his videos weren't SO FUCKING LONG.

Of any reviewer that I wish I could stand, it'd be Linkara. He CAN be funny and brings up some good points about the comics he reviews...

...if only his videos weren't SO FUCKING LONG.
I can see how people would be frustrated by him. He's wordy and he's fond of plot line (which I don't mind at all).

I'm reading stuff but finding I'm having a hard time taking in the info. Movement rules is where I really trip up. My D&D savvy friend suggested I just skip on movement rules and concentrate on everything else.
Movement is MUCH easier to understand if you have a grid map to look at. Each section on a normal D&D map is 5 feet, so if you have a speed of 30, you can move 6 squares an action. Every other move option is just a variation of the normal move action, so it's not hard to understand once you visually see how it works.

One thing I learned from To Boldly Flee... Luke is Colin Mochrie's son. I had not known that.

Also, in the dance video, Nella does a flawless charleston.

Colin Mochrie has had SEX? And has a SON? WITH A SHITLOAD OF HAIR!?

Who's Line is it Anyway is suddenly much funnier than it was before.

i was genuinely surprised with the ending, and especially the annoucement that he's retiring the character. and for much the same reasons that i found him less enjoyable than other reviewers on the site. "theres only so many times i can scream and shout at a movie". so good for him, for deciding to throw in the towel when he was ready to move on to newer things, with a pretty awesome sendoff, i thought.
my favourite reviewer on the site right now is probably oancitizen. he nailed pretty much every scene he was in, and the 'lifetime of training in a syringe' (hah! dark city reference!) was one of the highlights of the entire movie.
"bad art is a distraction, good art changes people"

Colin Mochrie has had SEX? And has a SON? WITH A SHITLOAD OF HAIR!?

Who's Line is it Anyway is suddenly much funnier than it was before.
100 points for the Who's Line reference, 50 points for making fun of Colin, and 5 points for the bold typeface.

Not sure if anyone saw, but yesterday Spoony started a commentary on "To Boldly Flee", and at the very start went into more detail about why his relationship ended with Channel Awesome. Here is the breakdown.

It was not due to Lupa. He thinks it didn't help the situation, but it was not the root cause. Lupa didn't have some vendetta versus him that caused it.

He felt he was losing a lot of money coming out to do the anniversary shows, so he wanted to get paid for the work, rather then just expenses covered. He said they were not going to do that, which annoyed him. He knows it makes him sound greedy but he was tired of losing money on the big crossover projects.

He learned about Doug killing off the Nostalgia Critic, and the new project idea will require a lot of people moving to Chicago to focus on it with Doug and Rob. Spoony sort of hinted that he was offered to join them, but didn't want to do it because he would have to give up his own website and didn't feel like he would be secure in Chicago.

He ended his overall reasons basically saying he didn't really need them. He felt like the whole relationship in general was very one sided in that he was getting nothing out of posting his videos on TGWTG. He didn't see any more traffic to his site and he is not sure if his videos were even really bringing more traffic to their site. Only 1% of his own traffic was from TGWTG links.

After that, he just went into the "politics" of working at Channel Awesome, which in his opinion has gotten out of hand because there are too many people. Certain critics get top billing on the ticker and the homepage at the expense of many other critics, which buries them under layers and layers on the website. Many critics have to pick a day to post far in advance just so they can squeeze into the top or side ticker and get noticed.

It's some interesting insight. Obviously some of it is probably biased, and I am sure it's not anywhere near the whole story, but it helps at least know this was not just something that happened because of a Twitter joke and more something that seemed to be building over time due to differences.

P.S. Actually he goes into even greater detail then I assumed. Really, you should just watch it. Even what I wrote here does not cover everything, it's just a sample.

It's good that everything is finally out in the open at least and he's still interested/able to work with the others like he always has... though this really does makes me wonder how Channel Awesome can sustain itself if it's going to keep recruiting. It also makes me feel like Doug and Rob really need to loosen up and let other people take on writing duties so more movies can be made.

Huh. I only found out about Spoony because of TGWTG. His 1% extra traffic sounds a bit bullshitty to me, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, it sounds to me like the politics things is partly true. I've rarely seen people like, say, JesuOtaku on the ticker. There are only less than a dozen people who even have a front page section like Linkara, Paw, or Lindsay. The rest are really hard to find because of the site's search options. No surprise that it's easiest to find Doug's stuff because he appears to have an ego much like his so-called alter-ego has. I would hazard a guess that they do this partly on purpose to keep something of a revolving door on the site. If they become more significant, like Obscurus Lupa, who I only even knew about when she first appeared on The Room review, then maybe they get more of a "push" on the site.

Honestly, I think what they need to do is section off the site to different themes. One for video games, one for cartoons, etc. I think they already sort of do this, but it's so hard to find them. Whenever they have an anniversary movie, I have no clue who have the people are because I've never watched any of their videos or even seen them appear on the front page. The other problem is that only a small portion of them are even worth watching.

Huh. I only found out about Spoony because of TGWTG. His 1% extra traffic sounds a bit bullshitty to me, but I could be wrong.
The exact opposite for me. I learned about Spoony long before TGWTG. Hell, I only learned about Spoony because a search about the Fantastic Four movie led me to the artist who did his main splash page's web site.

Although, that said, you know what I think does help a number of producers? Crossovers with Doug. He's the main part of the site, of course, and when he does a crossover review with someone, it's helped me realize that there are some out there I had no idea about. Specifically, I mean ObscurasLupa and especially JesuOtaku, who I actively sought out after her Digimon crossover.

I used to hate the amount of crossovers that Doug does now, but I think it's helping a lot of producers now.

Although, that said, you know what I think does help a number of producers? Crossovers with Doug. He's the main part of the site, of course, and when he does a crossover review with someone, it's helped me realize that there are some out there I had no idea about. Specifically, I mean ObscurasLupa and especially JesuOtaku, who I actively sought out after her Digimon crossover.

I used to hate the amount of crossovers that Doug does now, but I think it's helping a lot of producers now.
Agreed. His Jesutaku cross-over is how I decided to watch her Digimon retrospectives. ObscurasLupa I watched before though, but I think mostly because she did a Room review. Started with a big fish and what-not.

Status
Not open for further replies.