TGWTG 3rd Year Anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the applaud Bennet for taking the harder road on GotF. It's not easy to make a negative remark about a Miyazaki movie, especially one regarded as one of his masterpieces.

Nostalgia Critic? I thought he killed that off?
He brought it back when he realized that the character had more to offer, basically after watching Timothy Green. After seeing that and coming up with tons of new ideas, he realized he was just burnt-out from his schedule and decided to bring him back. That cast from Demo Reel know helps him with his Nostalgia Critic pieces, since that show was discontinued (since no one cared about it).

He has new rules for NC now:

- Any movie not currently in theaters is fair game. There is no more arbitrary cut-off limit.
- New full-length video every two weeks instead of ever week.
- To make up for there not being a full length video every week, we get short 10-minute one ever other week.

I gotta say that his new Pearl Harbor review might be his greatest work to date, so clearly the time away from NC did him some good.

He brought it back when he realized that the character had more to offer, basically after watching Timothy Green. After seeing that and coming up with tons of new ideas, he realized he was just burnt-out from his schedule and decided to bring him back. That cast from Demo Reel know helps him with his Nostalgia Critic pieces, since that show was discontinued (since no one cared about it).

He has new rules for NC now:

- Any movie not currently in theaters is fair game. There is no more arbitrary cut-off limit.
- New full-length video every two weeks instead of ever week.
- To make up for there not being a full length video every week, we get short 10-minute one ever other week.

I gotta say that his new Pearl Harbor review might be his greatest work to date, so clearly the time away from NC did him some good.
So in reality he noticed the huge dropoff of subscribers/visits after stopping the character and realized his error? Good on him.

So in reality he noticed the huge dropoff of subscribers/visits after stopping the character and realized his error? Good on him.
I think it's more that he realized that his co-workers weren't getting as many views any more and that he needed to step up if he wanted the site to keep going.

I think it's more that he realized that his co-workers weren't getting as many views any more and that he needed to step up if he wanted the site to keep going.
By returning the character that made the site popular and caused a fallout in viewers when he retired it. Yes, we established that. There's a reason the majority of his co-workers aren't getting many views either the vast majority of them are very untalented and too raw there are exceptions in the crowd but the production value over all is too poor to appeal to a large enough audience to keep people coming back.

If NC hadn't debuted on Youtube, the site would have never succeeded. Nearly his entire crew also would be more faceless names in the crowd without his character driven website that people just happened to click around after there weren't any new NC videos up.

figmentPez

Staff member
I really enjoyed the Nostalgia Critic's review of Son of the Mask. The two points that made the review for me:

• CR's cameo
  • Satan approving of his daughter watching Bratz

On the other hand, I've realized one of the things I really dislike about the NC's style. His tendency to speak for his audience. i.e. "The scenes are just so imaginative and inventive that you just get lost in them" and other phrases like that. I realize he's using a collective "you", but I still don't like it and I think that's one of the reasons that people become so offended when he dislikes something popular. He so frequently speaks as if he's the voice of everyone that when he says something his fans strongly disagree with, they feel like he's trying to tell them how to feel; because he actually has been telling people how they feel so often.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always felt the NC's opinions wer the same as Doug's, just with overreaction for comedic effect.

Watching Doug's favorite characters, I'm up to the 5th one, which is Tyrion Lannister. Cool that he likes Tyrion, but I have to wonder if he even watches the show. He says Tyrion was born into a royal family and over and over calls Tywin the king ... How do you even make that mistake if you're watching Game of Thrones? It's made so obvious who the king is at any given time and it's never been Tywin Lannister. This wouldn't be a big deal if the politics weren't such an integral part of the plot.

Another one bites the dust. So far Spoony, Jewario, and Welshy are done with TGWTG, and I think NChick setting up Chez Apocalypse points at the fact that TGWTG may be experiencing some behind the scenes problems. I'm pretty sure NChick set up Chez Apocalypse as a safety net in case TGWTG goes under. I foresee Diamanda Hagen, Oancitizen and possibly Cinema Snob parting from the site at some time in the near future, but that's just a feeling I get. Possibly even Phaelus, Lupa and Angry Joe.

From what I've been hearing, most of them are leaving because they just aren't making money with the affiliation and need actual income from the site to make up for what they lose from TGWTG stuff. For instance, Spoony came out and said that he usually lost money from the doing the movies because that was a week/two weeks he wasn't putting out a video and he had to fly himself out there and pay for the hotel room. He'd make some from the DVD sales but not enough to recoup his losses and barely anyone was watching his videos on the site. Jew Wario seems to left for similar reasons, as well as his desire to do content for sites other than TGWTG.

The biggest problem with all of this is that no one wants to talk about what is actually going on, mainly because they still consider most of these people involved friends. It's kind of hard to suss out the situation when NO ONE wants to talk about it.

As for Team NChick and Todd... they and Doug are the ONLY people on TGWTG that get a paycheck of any kind from the site for their works. I doubt they will leave as long as those checks keep coming. Even if they did, Team NChick has already attracted some other folks to help them out, such as Bunny Reviews.

I, of course, love Rantasmo.

Like I said, it really seems like Lindey's backup plan.[DOUBLEPOST=1368860271][/DOUBLEPOST]Honestly, I access Phaelous' site directly for his and Lupa's videos. I access the direct Blip pages for Cinema Snob (who by the way is the most prolific person on the site. He puts out at minimum 2 videos a week in addition to filming his own movies) and Diamanda Hagen (the second most prolific person on the site). I access all the Chez Apocalypse folks through their website, and Angry Joe directly through his YouTube account. The only thing I watch on TGWTG anymore is Atop the 4th Wall and the NC videos.

And I have yet to figure out how Blockbuster Buster keeps getting featured. He's just fucking terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.