TGWTG 3rd Year Anniversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I get that, I remember his other FF videos and I'm sure it'll get better. It's just funny that, considering this game has the absolute worst early-game of any FF, he chose to talk about robes and save points.

The save points make sense, in a way... I always imagined they were put down by soldiers in the war torn areas so they could requisition supplies with their expense accounts. As for the tracking thing...

It's explicitly stated in one of the later shops that the Cocoon fal'Cie have been preventing the government from tracing your shopping. They wanted to make sure you'd succeed in doing what they wanted.

So it makes sense, it's just kinda weird.

Not to turn this into a FF13 thread, but I think the issue is really that the first 20-ish hours are a big, shiny tutorial. You don't have your complete party and Crystarium options until you're quite a way into the game, and it's not till then that the combat really gets interesting (there are some boss battles, regardless of how much grinding I did, that really kicked my ass and had me at the edge of my seat). Sadly this fairly daring take on the FF combat is wrapped up in 50 hours of hallways and bland characters.

figmentPez

Staff member
I didn't realize Spoony has switched to a different video host. Oh well, no more downloading videos from Blip's RSS feeds so I can watch them on my netbook. It kinda sucks that most web video won't play on it anymore. There's no good reason for it, either than Flash sucking.

For some reason the death of the Nostalgia Critic single-handedly made me lose all interest in TGWTG. I don't know why, I did like going to see videos from Phaelous and Film Brain, but without Nostalgia Critic there to punctuate me going to visit ever Wednesday, I now just skip the site entirely.
I tried giving Demo Reel a chance but sadly it just failed to grab me at all.

And Nostalgia Critic was my portal into all of the other videos. Without it I just don't end up going there anymore.

Demo reel looks like a production designed to appeal to the other video makers on the site. It seems there are so many in jokes and references that I just don't get at all.

Doug's new interview series looks promising, though. Although I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the first guest he had, who I find fascinating.

So much of what's wrong with the site right now seems to be because of catering to Doug's ego (his refusal to let someone else write a movie for the "b-list" people on the site, so they could have a chance in the limelight), his ignorance (the site's overall design), or his fear (retiring the Nostalgia Critic in the face of annihilation by the movie company's lawyers and because he wasn't sure he could keep it fresh). He's THE big name for the site and his failure to contribute on a meaningful level is really hurting everyone else.

It really makes me wonder if the site would be doing better under new management.

I only watch a few on the site regularly, Brad jones, Todd in the Shadows, Oancitizen, and Nchick. out of those, I actually look at Brads site or Oancitizens blip page because its more likely to have a episode up at least a day in advance of it showing up on the site, which reeeally needs a revamp, given how many people are contributing to it at any one time. especially when you have the nostalgia critic still on the main page, despite there being no more updates. I get that he's the figure head of the site, but its been a pretty long time since he announced it. Even dougs recent stuff is buried behind menus.

figmentPez

Staff member
I still enjoy CR's stuff:

Best line:
Now this should be common sense, but whatever you do, don't go into the Denny's

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on

Right, who had "less than 6 months" before NC broke down and went back to reviewing?

Though, I have to admit, he really has improved as a film maker. There's some really great shots in this.

New rules: No cut off date. Any movies are open, except those currently in theatres. New review every two weeks instead of weekly.
I'm wondering if he's doing this because his new project wasn't pulling people in (I thought it was awful) or if it's because everyone else was taking such a big hit without him headlining the site anymore? Regardless, I knew he'd be back to doing this within the year.

Good to see him come to his senses. Looks like I can add it back to my rotation, maybe even catch up with a few other reviewers.

Jew Wario left the site for money reasons: I.E. he wasn't making enough off of them to keep the relationship going. Honestly, I don't blame him. TGWTG has done very little to promote his videos, despite always giving him large parts in the site movies, and very few people know him from outside those. I can't think of a single time You Can Play This was on the side bar or header.

He's still doing content for at least two other sites, aside from his own. I know Retroware shows off his YCPT series and Rider Reviews... the other site shows his You Can Cook This stuff. Plus he's still doing cross-overs and such with everyone, so there's that. This isn't a bridge burning.

It really does seem to come back to the money. I KNOW that TGWTG has a million dollar advertising deal with Blip, but how much of that money actually goes to the producers and how much of that is going to the board and Doug Walker? It would be a dark irony if the indie internet kids became a shallow facsimile of the Hollywood system that pushed them away.

It really does seem to come back to the money. I KNOW that TGWTG has a million dollar advertising deal with Blip, but how much of that money actually goes to the producers and how much of that is going to the board and Doug Walker? It would be a dark irony if the indie internet kids became a shallow facsimile of the Hollywood system that pushed them away.
Having done a bit of research, apparently only Doug Walker, Lyndsey Ellis, and Todd Nathanson receive money from Blip to support their videos. Even more, Doug Walker is the only payed employee of Channel Awesome... so everyone else is only getting advertising money from their videos.

Having done a bit of research, apparently only Doug Walker, Lyndsey Ellis, and Todd Nathanson receive money from Blip to support their videos. Even more, Doug Walker is the only payed employee of Channel Awesome... so everyone else is only getting advertising money from their videos.
TitS (hahaha really) is really that popular? He kinds of annoys me.

TitS (hahaha really) is really that popular? He kinds of annoys me.
He and Lyndsey have been dating for quite some time. It's entirely possible that whatever contract she made with the board also included him or she may have negotiated it at the same time. I think Lyndsey gets some special perks because her reviewer identity is tied ENTIRELY to Doug's, so she can't just up and leave.

He and Lyndsey have been dating for quite some time. It's entirely possible that whatever contract she made with the board also included him or she may have negotiated it at the same time. I think Lyndsey gets some special perks because her reviewer identity is tied ENTIRELY to Doug's, so she can't just up and leave.
I appreciate that in spite of this tie, she doesn't try to be Nostalgia Critic - female edition, even in the sense of really doing much humor. Her videos lately seem more analysis that's occasionally punctuated by a sketch or humor bit, and I've found those little bits to be really funny.

figmentPez

Staff member
It seems to me that the further Lyndsey gets along in art school, the further she gets from reality. There were points where she didn't even seem able to connect two threads of her own logic together in her LotR review, and I can't fathom how she's going to justify Wreck-It Ralph as one of the worst films of 2012 in her upcoming list.

I'm almost certain she's going to say it sucks because it relies so heavily on knowing about games and how they work. The actual plot is pretty predictable, if well executed, and they don't really explain things all the well... and when they do, it's about something that JUST came up. I love the movie but some parts of it are just...

It's sort of the problem Scott Pilgrim had. If you can't pick up on things VERY quickly, it can seem very disjointed. It's a movie made for a certain kind of audience. I may be in that audience, but that doesn't mean everyone else is.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mom loved Wreck-It Ralph. She doesn't like video games very much, and doesn't know a lot about them. She likes word games like Bookworm and Words With Friends, and she's used Wii Fit before, but she's never played a platformer or first person shooter. She followed the movie just fine, and left the theater smiling.

It seems to me that the further Lyndsey gets along in art school, the further she gets from reality. There were points where she didn't even seem able to connect two threads of her own logic together in her LotR review, and I can't fathom how she's going to justify Wreck-It Ralph as one of the worst films of 2012 in her upcoming list.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I still think she's the best there is outside Oancitizen.

Wreck-It Ralph is nowhere near the worst of 2012, and should have won the Oscar over Brave. I'd put it as the best animated movie of '12, with ParaNorman and Brave as second and third.

I actually would have put ParaNorman over Wreck-it Ralph, but that's probably because I'm a sucker of Claymation. Secret World of Arrietty deserves #3.

To me, WiR had the most heart of the various animated releases this year, and easily the strongest story. ParaNorman was great too, but I got a lot more out of WiR all in all.

Back on point, I watched her top 10 video. I have to admit I'm curious why she dislikes WiR so much, but her assertion of it being a bad year for animation is dead wrong. Brave was gorgeous, WiR was a lot of fun, and ParaNorman was proof that stop-motion is still alive and kicking in a good way. They were all good movies, and to top it off we also got some great animated shorts. Adam and Dog was fantastic, as was Paperman.

I don't know who else followed Nostalgia Critic's Pixar Disney-cember or is following his current Dreamworks-uary (rundowns of those companies' films and what he thought). Am I the only one who's annoyed by how heavily he seems to weigh each film's comedy over its other elements? It feels like several movies, whether I liked them or not, complains that he would've liked "more jokes", while acknowledging that a movie may have a lot of good dramatic scenes instead, or that it was just trying to tell a story, not seeming to realize that those might have been more important than inserting extra comedy.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't know who else followed Nostalgia Critic's Pixar Disney-cember or is following his current Dreamworks-uary (rundowns of those companies' films and what he thought). Am I the only one who's annoyed by how heavily he seems to weigh each film's comedy over its other elements? It feels like several movies, whether I liked them or not, complains that he would've liked "more jokes", while acknowledging that a movie may have a lot of good dramatic scenes instead, or that it was just trying to tell a story, not seeming to realize that those might have been more important than inserting extra comedy.
You're not alone. He's really heavy handed in his opinions. It comes across to me as being jaded. "You have to surprise me, but give me exactly what I want when you do."

You're not alone. He's really heavy handed in his opinions. It comes across to me as being jaded. "You have to surprise me, but give me exactly what I want when you do."
Hate to see if/when he does a Studio Ghibli month.

Grave of the Fireflies: "It was pretty good, but could've had more jokes."

I love that JessOtaku and Bennet the Sage both reviewed that movie at around the same time and had polar opposite opinions of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.