Export thread

TGWTG 3rd Year Anniversary!

LittleSin

LittleSin

The teaser trailer is up!

From beginning to end I had this huge fucking grin on my face. I also had a tonne of fun picking out who each of them was supposed to be.

This is the thread for all things relating to anniversary cross over videos. Some of which have already graced the site. :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm so excited.

I've loved some of the cross-overs thus far:

Linkara and Cinema Snob review Manimal (the comic) - These two work surprisingly well together.

Obscurus Lupa and Cinema Snob review The Asylum's Sherlock Holmes - These two are a little awkward together, but they make it work. The movie deserves lampooning, and gets skewered nicely.

Film Brain & Todd in the Shadows - Mediocre review, but I love the Obscurus Lupa cameo.

Phelous & Linkara review Airborne - so many actors who played Doctor Who, such an awful movie.

Nostalgia Chick's Les Miserables - Not actually a 3rd anniversary spawned cross-over, but it does feature a lot of the TGWTG crew singing. I knew that Linkara, JewWario and Obscurus Lupa have nice voices, but I was surprised by Nella's wonderful pipes.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Todd also has a lovely singing voice.

Also, Phelous was just...I just...I couldn't stop laughing at his 'singing' part.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can't wait to see Spoony bust out the Flame of Arnor again...

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd put this in the awesome videos thread, but I think more people with appreciate it here:

LittleSin

LittleSin

Aw jeez. :p Brad is really NEVER going to live punching Lupa down.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Aw jeez. :p Brad is really NEVER going to live punching Lupa down.
No, he is not.

I think the coolest thing about the puppet vid is that the guy who made them is also an amazing cosplayer. The Atomic Robo that was in my Top 30 of pt2 (found at the beginning of the current thread), that's him. He's also the Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation cosplayer, and some other great stuff too.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Linkara just tweeted:
"Revelation from Spoony's forum: None of the female reviewers on TGWTG have done a crossover review with each other. In three years. :confused: "

Whoa. My mind, it is blown.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I just read that! TGWTG doesn't pass the Bechdel Test!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, my idea for a crossover is PusingUpRoses and Obscurus Lupa versus Paw and Todd in the Shadows reviewing The Chipmunk Adventure. Girls vs. Boys in an epic musical battle!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ohhhhhh Shi-! :p I hope they do that now!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ohhhhhh Shi-! :p I hope they do that now!
Still won't help them pass the Bechdel Test, but it would be totally awesome. I thought of the idea watching Roses, Paw and Todd review "Head" a while back, but it didn't hit me until today that Lupa would be the perfect teammate for Roses.

EDIT: Even better would be one more on each side to match the 3 vs 3 in the movie. That might get a little too complicated for scripting and co-ordination of shooting, though. Not sure who would round out each side, either.

LittleSin

LittleSin

They have even less girls now that Goggles has left.

Not that she ever really contributed any ways.

figmentPez

figmentPez

They have even less girls now that Goggles has left.

Not that she ever really contributed any ways.
True, but they just added a seventh* today. I can't say I care for Diamanda Hagan's work, though. I find her terribly grating, mostly because she reminds me of all the worst parts of someone I knew in high school. It's like watching a horrible parody of a old friend, and it just creeps me out.

*JesuOtaku, Dena, Obscurus Lupa, Marzgurl and PushingUpRoses. Well, 9 if you count the individual members of Team NChick. I'm not sure who else gets counted. If Team NChick get counted, does Psychoneku?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If Team NChick get counted, does Psychoneku?
Does the Psychotaku count? If he does than the Psychoneku does.

figmentPez

figmentPez

TGWTG Crew sings Friday

Ow, my ears, but ow my sides. That's both painful and painfully hilarious at the same. So much funny, but especially Bhargav, Bennett the Sage and Obscurus Lupa.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Bennet is awesome in anything he does. I just love his twisted little mind.

Spoony cracked me up in that as well. His attempts to do the voice just killed me.

I don't know why JewWario sang so softly, though. He sings all the time in live streams.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't know why JewWario sang so softly, though. He sings all the time in live streams.
I'm guessing he either didn't know the song, or he didn't want to interrupt filming of something else in a near-by room.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Probably the latter. He did a 'Friday' parody in one of his Yanki J videos, after all.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Full Trailer is up. Looks like a lot of goofy fun.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I just read that! TGWTG doesn't pass the Bechdel Test!
It does now! Obscurus Lupa and Iron Liz review Gooby

1. Good gravy that movie is creepy. There is something wrong with the people who made it.
2. Liz has improved a lot since her early work.
3. Lupa in glasses? *sigh* more please.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Suburban Knights Part 1is up!

Also, if you haven't heard of Brows Held High yet, I highly recommend checking out the latest episode, a review of Twilight of the Ice Nymphs

LittleSin

LittleSin

Watched Part One last night and I about fucking died.

They are off to a really good start if they keep this up.

"I'm Willow."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Part 2 is up and it's hilarious.

Yowza! Obscurus Lupa is attractive when she's pissed off. (or when she's confused, pouty, happy, snarky, lecturing...)

LittleSin

LittleSin

Agreed.

8Bit Mickey is also STELLER in this. Actually, everyone is doing a really good job so far.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Agreed.

8Bit Mickey is also STELLER in this. Actually, everyone is doing a really good job so far.
I'm surprised at the amount of acting talent in this group. Even the weaker players (Paw, Film Brain, Benzaie IMO) still manage to be very entertaining. There isn't a real dud in the lot, and there are some pretty shining stars they're sharing the screen with. Spoony and Doug are at their charming, smarmy best. Lindsay is rocking the Elvish dialogue. You're right about 8-bit Mickey being a treat to watch. JewWario is hilarious. And Lupa is showing some seriously impressive acting chops.

Some of talent at TGWTG continues to impress me with how much growth they're capable of. For instance, I used to Marzgurl's videos to be kind of bland, but her latest work shows she's figured out to get herself across better on camera.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm learning that the hardest part is coming across good on camera from my own little videos.

You just have to throw on such a BIG personality. You really have to put yourself out there.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yay! More pissed-off Lupa!

Suburban Knights pt 3

figmentPez

figmentPez

Suburban Knights pt 4

The two groups don't seem to be meeting even challenges. One group seems to have the majority of the fight scenes. I think that's because not everyone has a weapon to fight with and/or doesn't have a desire/ability to do fight scenes, but I could be wrong. It's still a lot of fun, and I'm happy with the balance of focus on various players.

Speaking of awesome stuff, though, if anyone hasn't checked out JesuOtaku's radio drama, it's amazingly good. Fruits Basket . I think it's based on an anime or manga or something, but I don't know. I'm really enjoying it having no clue about it's origins. The voice acting is very well done.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Suburban Knights pt 5

Pez, are you with me when I say HOLY SHIT!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Suburban Knights pt 5

Pez, are you with me when I say HOLY SHIT!
There is some strange and awesome stuff going on, and it's really good, but I'm a little distracted this evening. So, I might have to rewatch it later to get the full effect.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Starting watching today, So far it is okay, thought no rolling in the floor so far.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Part 6 is up

HA! Loving the lens flare cameo.

EDIT: Angry Joe, there is nothing strange about that at all. It's just as awesome as I would expect.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm surprised it's up already.

We just finished part 4. It's hit and miss, but the hits get a big laugh.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Wow oh wow. Love it. :)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've been loving it so far, but I think one of the few beefs (aside from the super-cheap production value) I have are the "cameos". I feel like the appearances by the ordinary people like the mother and daughter and the dude sitting on the couch in the basement are meant to be...someone. Maybe they're just friends or fans but it's the specific screentime they're getting that's confusing me.

LittleSin

LittleSin

They're extras. Y'know, so that they can actually tell the serious story bits with out people going 'HEY! It's that guy/girl! Hahaha! They so CRAZY!"

I think it was a good move.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Does anyone else think that during that scene a few episodes ago where Angry Joe pulled his guns, instead of what he said, it should have been more "My name is Inigo Montanya. SAY HALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Does anyone else think that during that scene a few episodes ago where Angry Joe pulled his guns, instead of what he said, it should have been more "My name is Inigo Montanya. SAY HALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"?
No, because

1. I'm sick of that reference.
2. Phelous already did that with his little friends.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Suburban Knights concludes with Part 7

That was pretty good. Loved the ending credits.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Suburban Knights concludes with Part 7

That was pretty good. Loved the ending credits.
It wasn't as great as Kickassia, but maybe my standards are too high, still funny.

I loved the credits too.

It would be interesting if next year they did do something with the necronomicon, the awesome channel needs to face some zombies.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I was thinking that they should work a review into the anniversary, or maybe multiple reviews. Possibly a "Greek Week" storyline, where the Nostalgia Critic decides that everyone's videos are getting lazy and sets up a reviewers college, forcing everyone back to school. Toga parties, pranks, rival fraternities, an angry dean, (but no hazing).

LittleSin

LittleSin

Back from camping!

I really enjoyed this final part. It was funny yet sad. Loved the sequel set up as well. :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Channel Awesome Dance Spectacular 3

Seemed short, but it was fun. Needed more Lupa.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished it. The second to last fight went on a bit long, gags being hit and miss, but the final fight was funny, and the twist was actually pretty clever.

Overall, I liked Kickassia more for being less derivative, but they certainly put their all into this one and it was fun. The credits sequence was indeed pretty awesome.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I enjoyed the Kickassia story more, but found I enjoyed more of the people involved this time around. It felt like more people got a chance to shine this time around instead of the ususals (Critic, Lindsay, Linkara, Spoony).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's because they wisely divided the group in two, thus each person in each group has less others to compete with.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's because they wisely divided the group in two, thus each person in each group has less others to compete with.
They tried that last time in Kickassia, but it didn't work because Linkara and Spoony were in the same group (and each of them has a bigger following than Doug). Plus Spoony played Dr. Insano, which ALWAYS steals the show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They tried that last time in Kickassia, but it didn't work because Linkara and Spoony were in the same group (and each of them has a bigger following than Doug). Plus Spoony played Dr. Insano, which ALWAYS steals the show.
I don't recall that; there were a couple people on Doug's side, but I remember LOTS of shots of a crowded hotel room while the script desperately tried to pass off lines to the assorted less-known faces.

Since Kickassia, I've gotten to know some of these people's shows on their own merits, and so I knew everyone this time. So that's something.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Channel Awesome Dance Spectacular 3

Seemed short, but it was fun. Needed more Lupa.
Watch the Nostalgia Chick's review of The Little Mermaid. Just do it. Now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Watch the Nostalgia Chick's review of The Little Mermaid. Just do it. Now.
Already seen it. I thought it was hilarious!

Someone else is willing to dress up in cheap paper cut-out cosplay?

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Lindsay has a much better voice that I presumed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was pretty stunned when it got to the end and she started in. That was impressive.

General Specific

General Specific

I was pretty sure they dubbed her over with the actual song from the movie...

Edit: rewatched and compared to youtube clip and it looks like I'm wrong. :)

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I wonder how much request of a full version of the song she got already

figmentPez

figmentPez

The DVD of Suburban Knights is up for pre-order.

The lovely Obscurus Lupa got me to order the DVD. CR's art got me to order the limited edition.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not too interested in spending 18 on SK, but Kickassia + SK is 24? That's pretty cool.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I now dub this the Channel Awesome / TGWTG thread.

Anyway, I've discovered the funny that is "What the Fuck is Wrong With You?" It's basically News of the Weird, or any other messed up news story aggregate, but it's often got pretty redheads helping to present. Speaking of which, Obscurus Lupa is hilarious in the most recent episode. I tend to prefer the live episodes of WtFiWWY, because I think the unscripted comes off as funnier, but I love Lupa cameos.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Haven't been watching much lately besides Cinema Snob's midnight screenings, which have been great, especially when he sends his buddies to awful kids movies. The review for Mr. Popper's Penguins is necessary viewing simply because of the crazy stories going along with it.

General Specific

General Specific

I've been enjoying the Brad Tries videos. I haven't been watching any other videos really, but some of those are really entertaining.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Brad Tries are the only videos from the Cinema Snob that I watch. I also enjoy watching Jew Wario eat candy. The Nostalgia Critic's attempt at food tasting, however, fell flat. It was just a bunch of crude jokes. Fine if you like that, but they didn't talk about the drink itself.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Obscurus Lupa Presents: City Dragon

Wow, that is one hilariously bad movie. Well presented by Lupa, and definitely one of her better reviews.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Just finished that one. Cracked up. :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

One of the newest reviewers on the site is the Blockbuster Buster. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching his work, but his review of Disney's Atlantis is hilarious. The schtick for the episode is that he can't get any of the TGWTG crew to do a cameo, so he just does his own, and does a good job with the parodies. He apes the Nostalgia Critic, Spoony, Linkara, Angry Joe, Benzaie, Obscurus Lupa, The Cinema Snob and some of the bits were excellent.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I had that same idea, but never had the funding to get started. Glad to see it works at least.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Nostagia Critic and friends review Moulin Rouge

Three quick notes: the review is musical, it's about 45 minutes long, and Critic despises Moulin Rouge.

However, it might be my favorite review on the site.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Just finshed watching. Holy crap that was funny.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Why hasn't BrentalFloss just quit ScrewAttack and joined Channel Awesome yet? He only ever does stuff with them now.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Screw attack apparently has a contract that require 4 years service.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's clearly only a matter of time. ScrewAttack isn't a bad site or a bad group of people, but they've been doing some questionable stuff, especially with their new Advantage program... which is described as "early access" but is actually "Everyone else has to wait 1-2 weeks for content already on the site".

Bowielee

Bowielee

Loved the Moulin Rouge review.

Also, regarding the top of the page, Blockbuster Buster is just, well, just horrible...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Also, regarding the top of the page, Blockbuster Buster is just, well, just horrible...

Yeah, I've watched a few more of his reviews, and they didn't click like that first one I liked. I dunno if I was just in an odd mood that day or what. Eh.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Obscurus Lupa Presents: Christmas Eve on Seasame Street
This is hilarious. I was ready to be upset at Lupa mocking my childhood, after all I listened to the Christmas Eve on Seasame Street LP every year growing up. However, Lupa did a great job mixing her mockery with appreciation for the Street. Plus, she's adorable all bundled up in ridiculous winter gear.

Funny story from my childhood. When I was very young my mom was amazed that I could sit and focus on Seasame Street, because my older sister had never been able to when she was that age. However, I didn't get that the bits with people were also part of the show. So when something besides animation or muppets came on, I'd start crying "Street over! Street over!" even if the show was still going.

Hmm, speaking of Christmas, maybe it's time to write my letter to the jolly old elf...

Dear Santa Claus,

I have been a very good boy this year. I've remembered to post deals in the Games on Sale thread almost every day, and I tried very hard to make sure there were updates to the Good Cosplay Thread.

For Christmas I would like a girl like Allison Pregler. Someone smart and funny and pretty and really awesome to be my girlfriend. But my parents say I have to ask for something that will fit in my stocking, or underneath the tree. So I'll just settle for world peace instead.

Sincerely,
figmentPez
Cosplay Czar of Halfourms

Piotyr

Piotyr

I really enjoy Paw's Music Movie reviews. He did Annie this week, and now I've gone back and watched them all.

He doesn't like Annie.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hi, my name is Pez, and I'm a cross-over addict.
Obscurus Lupa Presents: Peewee's Playhouse Christmas Special
with appearances by:
the Nostalgia Critic
Phelous
Oancitizen
MarzGurl
Andrew Dickman
Kitsune2022
The Film Renegado

I loved it. The random goofiness and forced parodies were hilarious.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Is it just me, or has Phaelous been working out?

http://phelous.com/node/1025

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is it just me, or has Phaelous been working out?

http://phelous.com/node/1025
Huh, now that you mention it, he does seem to be more fit than he used to be. Of course if I had the beautiful girlfriend he does, I think I'd be motivated to get into better shape as well. Try to look like less of a doof in comparison. Well, congrats to him if he's been putting in the hard work of getting into shape.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Nostalgia Chick reviews Daria
I loved that show, and this is a pretty good retrospective.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm puzzled by the frame of view for Nostalgia Critic's review of the live-action The Grinch. He makes it out that he's the lone voice of reason in what a piece of crap it is, but I don't know anyone who actually likes that movie.

LittleSin

LittleSin

...*raises hand*

...*looks at her family...all have their hands up*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

...*raises hand*

Same. It's nothing on the original, but it's a decent movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I watched about 20 minutes of The Grinch before shutting it off.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...*raises hand*

figmentPez

figmentPez

Channel Awesome Holiday Video 2011 w/ 20+ reviewers.
I'm so eager to watch this, but I don't have time at the moment.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watching Critic's Disneycember all at once right now, and it's really making me want to go back and watch some of the Disney films I've not seen since I was little, like Fantasia, Bambi, and especially The Rescuers Down Under. That was my big movie when I was 3 and 4 years old; I'd watch it again and again, and get swept away in how awesome that eagle was. Hard to believe I had so much love for it and I haven't seen it in 20+ years. I thought this was an odd side special for Critic to be doing, but over the last couple hours, I've come to really appreciate his doing it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Channel Awesome Holiday Video 2011 w/ 20+ reviewers.
I'm so eager to watch this, but I don't have time at the moment.
Wow, more than 40 minutes long, with a song sung by Doug about his Grump character from the Grinch review. I'm only 1/4 of the way through and this is a lot of fun.

EDIT: No Obscurus Lupa? Bah humbug!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, MAGfest is over, and most of the video producers are back home. The cross-overs should start coming out in a short while, until then:

402863_320476101320320_100000737988522_966572_629942025_n.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wish we could've gone and seen all them again this year, but we just didn't have the money.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pooh-Kara

So, does anyone want links to all the various MagFest cross-over videos? I've been assuming everyone can find them on their own, and none have struck me as stand-out hilarious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The Spoony/Bennet the Sage video was pretty great, especially in the beginning. That's the only one I've watched though.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So, this might be my new favorite Nostalgia Critic, just for the cameo at the end: http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-a-simple-wish-6121611

I mean, now that is nostalgia.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We're supposed to be getting the 4th year anniversary movie sometime soon too, I think.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yeppers. You think we should change the thread title soon?

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Oh my god, there's a Jazzercize ghost in my room!"
MarzGurl's Crayon Recreation: Jem and the Hologram

This is fantastic. Usually I find Marzgurl's stuff to border on bland, even though it's been improving, but the fast pacing on these crayon recreations really helps her humor.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've been kind of souring on Bennet the Sage, lately. He has this tendency to use words incorrectly, such as atypical.

I'm currently in love with Oancitizen, though. I want to have his babies. Even if every time he says Shakespeare, I want to stab myself in the eye.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've been working my way through Phaelous's videos and generally enjoying them, though there have been a couple that were a bit slow and I stopped watching (various horror films I'd never heard of, mainly). Might give Lupa a go after his stuff, she shows up a lot and seems to be pretty funny.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Reviving this thread for the fourth anniversary.

Just watched the first part. They are going with a different tone...and I love it. That was a GREAT 40 minutes.

Those last 5-10 minutes were awesome. I'm really amped for the rest of this now.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Completely forgot about it. Maybe we'll try to catch up tomorrow.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I kinda wish they had stuck with parodying Star Trek OR Star Wars, not both. When they switch, it's quite jarring and not in a good way.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When they did that joke about firing people early on, I kinda had to cring.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I kinda wish they had stuck with parodying Star Trek OR Star Wars, not both. When they switch, it's quite jarring and not in a good way.
I can't say I found it very jarring. The pairing seems natural to me. When I think of Star Wars I think of Star Trek and vice versa.

When they did that joke about firing people early on, I kinda had to cring.
It's in the character so I don't see the problem, really. Spoony himself says he wasn't 'fired' and that he may be able to return later on. :)

That said, I didn't bat an eyelash at it. :p

LittleSin

LittleSin

Update: They are now releasing new episode of this mini-series every three days due to some technical issues. So the next one will be Sunday.

This may change but for now a wait is to be had.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aw. And I really liked the last 10-15 minutes of it. Wanted to know what happened next. I just thought it took them too long just to get there.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Aw. And I really liked the last 10-15 minutes of it. Wanted to know what happened next. I just thought it took them too long just to get there.
Tell me about it. Those last few minutes had me hooked.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm just disappointed that TLAG is so prominent. I really can't stand that guy.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm just disappointed that TLAG is so prominent. I really can't stand that guy.
I tihnk he's only in the first part...though I share a dislike for him. He seems nice enough but I can't get into his videos.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, no Phelous yet :(

It was great to see more Nella, though. If she had a series on the site, I would watch the hell out of it.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I died laughing at the latest part. That was an excellent slap stick acting scene.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Also, no Phelous yet :(
Really, no Phelous? I'm a little behind in watching, but that gives me some incentive.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Really, no Phelous? I'm a little behind in watching, but that gives me some incentive.
Phelous is in it now...but I don't find him that annoying. He's dialled back his sarcasm.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Phelous is in it now...but I don't find him that annoying. He's dialled back his sarcasm.
Yeah. From 10 to like... 8.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yeah. From 10 to like... 8.
Hey, a two point drop is a lot for Phelous. :p

LordRendar

LordRendar

I really dont like Phelous.As soon as he opens his mouth,I want to punch him.
Brad on the other hand...dat voice.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, Phelous has, like, the Anti-Brad voice.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I still like him, though! :p

I can't watch his videos weekly anymore. I usually wait until I'm in a Phelous mood and watch a bunch at once.

Don't ask what a "Phelous mood" is. That's better left unanswered.

As for Brad...yeh...that voice. JewWario has a creamy voice as well, when he's not being cutesy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just hope JesuOtaku keeps bouncing around in that skimpy shirt for the rest of this series. :unibrow:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This anniversary series is in my opinion the sci-fi parody equivalent to Space Balls in my opinion. Spoony is friggin' great as Turle as always.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just hope JesuOtaku keeps bouncing around in that skimpy shirt for the rest of this series. :unibrow:
JO as Edward is my favorite part of the series so far.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Oh dear sweet mother of God.

You'll know it when you see it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh dear sweet mother of God.

You'll know it when you see it.
yes, you will.

i wasn't sure about this at first, but it's actually getting good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh god... when Spoony walked out like Sting's character from Dune, I lost it. The bit with Todd as Robocop was pretty awesome too.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

OH DEAR GOD THE PALENESS! THE BLINDING BLINDING PALENESS!

Bowielee

Bowielee

No sign of Oancitizen yet... He was in the trailers, so I'm thinking he may play a bigger role towards the end.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Are the booster shoes made from roller blades? I'm betting roller blades.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are the booster shoes made from roller blades? I'm betting roller blades.
Yeah, they look like cheap, generic roller blades with the skates gone and a grey color scheme. And having JesuOtaku constantly "inventing stuff" is getting annoying. I get she's supposed to be Edward from Cowboy BeBop, but didn't Edward only making something like... once in the entire series? She was usually doing hacker stuff.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Eh, I think its funny. Phelous dying a lot is funny now but I could see it getting grating later on in the special.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, they look like cheap, generic roller blades with the skates gone and a grey color scheme. And having JesuOtaku constantly "inventing stuff" is getting annoying. I get she's supposed to be Edward from Cowboy BeBop, but didn't Edward only making something like... once in the entire series? She was usually doing hacker stuff.
It's not just because she's Edward, she's also still getting messages from whoever gave her and CR the dreams.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Who do you guys think the Gort guy is? I can't wait to see. And I freakin love Rob as the evil executive to, he is awesome.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, yeah, I kinda had a crush on JW before this... now... swoon...
JW takei.gif

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PFFT, Darth Snob kills me. I wonder how long it took them to position the glasses just right before gluing. I've done with a mask before and it is not as easy as it looks.

LittleSin

LittleSin

That...was a good ending.

It made me feel things.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Great movie, so many laughs.

I actually smiled when Linkara showed up in his spaceship, even though I never really got into his little side stories. I think a lot of it was just the fact his "character" was not really there, as they wanted to have Mechakara playing the mole. I missed having him around as himself.

I don't care what anyone says, the Phealous dying scenes were one of the best parts of the whole thing and never got annoying, I also loved it when he finally said screw it and dodged while five entirely random things attempted to kill him. The node to the Phealous/Lupa relationship after all that stuff with Todd was also hilarious to me.

Everyone brought their A-game, and the only sad moment for me was when Spoony was revealed alive, it was bittersweet just because I know all the shit happening in the background with him being "fired".

PS. The critic was right, I called the silver guy being the AVGN since he first started appearing to save the critic.

PSS. I was going to use an acronym for Todd up above, but then I realized his acronym is TITS.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Spoony is STILL doing stuff with people from TGWTG. He just did a review with Diamanda. It really seems like the board at TGWTG is going to have to figure out what to do about that, as it's really making them look like they have no idea what they are doing. It's also really confusing... how is still not "with" the site if he keeps appearing in videos?

I'm also wondering how they are going to do a movie next year. Spoony is ALWAYS the second biggest part in the movie and he generally steals any scene he is in. Can anyone else step up to take on his level of involvement? Or are they just hoping they can mend things by then? Because I really don't see them doing another one without him.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think Doug has said this will be the last one on "this scale".

I ithnk Diamandas video is the only one he has appeared in since leaving the site. The anniversary was filmed months before and he played such big parts in it that they couldn't just 'get rid of him'.

I'm hoping things get mended. Spoony was on twitter last night lamenting how bittersweet the whole last part was for him and how many bridges he burned. There may be hope.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh they'll get mended eventually. One party will approach the other and I think that's all it's gonna take. Spoony's already toned down the worst of his trolling.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They've also got up the dance video for this year's anniversary.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...ls/36510-channel-awesome-dance-extravaganza-4

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I freaking loved the ending. Did not see that coming like...AT ALL! So awesome.

Norris

Norris

Spoony is STILL doing stuff with people from TGWTG. He just did a review with Diamanda. It really seems like the board at TGWTG is going to have to figure out what to do about that, as it's really making them look like they have no idea what they are doing. It's also really confusing... how is still not "with" the site if he keeps appearing in videos?
It's not super unusual for them to have non-site producers crossover in videos. The important bit is that his videos are no longer on the site.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They've also got up the dance video for this year's anniversary.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...ls/36510-channel-awesome-dance-extravaganza-4
Screw the super-mega-ultra annual crossover. THIS is what I wait for every year!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So it's official, "To Boldly Flee" was the end of the Nostalgia Critic. Doug and Rob plan to move on to a new idea in the coming months.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm excited for this.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

So it's official, "To Boldly Flee" was the end of the Nostalgia Critic. Doug and Rob plan to move on to a new idea in the coming months.
Not gonna lie, this makes me sad :(

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not gonna lie, this makes me sad :(
Same. Was very disappointed when he posted the video about it.

They say the character may appear again, but it won't be a normal weekly video. He will likely become just a cameo type character for other projects and collaborations.

Not sure how I feel about the new idea. It sounds like "To Boldly Flee" was a testing ground to see if they could run some sort of weekly satire based on movies, much like how "To Boldly Flee" satirized the entire Sci-Fi genre and it's staple films. I though TBF was great, but I am not sure if I could stand something like that weekly.

Bowielee

Bowielee

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../video-updates/36516-no-more-nostalgia-critic

I look forward to new stuff. There's some exciting stuff going on, it sounds like.[DOUBLEPOST=1347689997][/DOUBLEPOST]I am concerned, however that Phalous and Lupa haven't put out any new videos in a while I'm hoping it is just while To Boldly Flee was running. Spoony cranked out 2 countermoneys in a week.

I really hope Spoony comes back to TGWTG

chris

chris

Oh, so I guessed right with the scooby doo episode and the movie ending. Better end something on a high note before it becomes stale.

LittleSin

LittleSin

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../video-updates/36516-no-more-nostalgia-critic

I look forward to new stuff. There's some exciting stuff going on, it sounds like.[DOUBLEPOST=1347689997][/DOUBLEPOST]I am concerned, however that Phalous and Lupa haven't put out any new videos in a while I'm hoping it is just while To Boldly Flee was running. Spoony cranked out 2 countermoneys in a week.

I really hope Spoony comes back to TGWTG
Lupa is in Canada for two months visiting. She posted on her twitter that videos from them would be kinda sparse during that time.

Hard to do videos when yer naked.

I keed, I keed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Man...that's gonna take some getting used to. Ah well, I'm sure its still gonna be awesome! I wonder if they'll do that beer show they made a trailer for a few years back.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

What happens with Nostalgia Chick? and more importantly, with Nella?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does that mean that Nostalgia Chick alone holds the mantle to the Nostalgia name?!?! Cooooooooooosmic.

Belmont

Belmont

End of the Nostalgia Critic? Then I guess I'm done with that site as a whole.

I found their whole -movie- serieses boring as all hell and the only reason I even went to that site anymore was the occasional Nostalgia Critic. With AVGN gone, Spoony almost never doing videos anymore (other than boring counter-monkey), Lord Kat not doing game reviews anymore and Nostalgia Critic calling it quits, there's not much of a good game review site left anywhere.

What a disappointment.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sage, Angry Joe, and Jew Wario still do game reviews. Hell, game reviews are about all Angry Joe does.

And Counter Monkey is great. It's only boring if you don't play tabletop.

As for AVGN... I think he's in post production for his movie.

Belmont

Belmont

Sage, Angry Joe and Jew Wario just didn't have much of a -pull- for me, that goes for Phalous too. Only shows I really enjoyed online were Spoony, Nostalgia Critic and AVGN. Now with all three practically dead I find myself having a problem. As for Counter Monkey, I don't play tabletop.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ok...? What about every other reviewer on the site? There's over 30 on Ca...and there Blistered Thumbs has their own website solely devoted to gaming news and reviews.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Spoony isn't dead, he's just working through shit... namely his bipolar disorder, which gives him both maniac moments where he gets tons done and depressive moments where he gets NOTHING done. He's switched to a new medicine after the crap with CA and he's actually doing much better. It's just going to take a bit for Part 1 of Final Fantasy 13 to come out.

Also, the ending to the Ultima 9 series was AMAZING. The whole thing really channeled how he was feeling at the moment and I think it really made it that much better.

LittleSin

LittleSin

His FF13 thing is going to take a while, he said, because the original footage got corrupted...so he has to play it AGAIN.

I really enjoy his Counter Monkeys. Years ago I bought 3.5 box sext for a cheap price. I played one game with a punch of jerks that made it a frustrating experince. He has inspired me to crack them open again..t.hought I tihnk I need to sit in a as a player before I go to DMing.

Easier said then done. :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly think 3-3.5 is the best version of D&D, but 5th is changing my mine because it's just so much easier to play. You don't need a ton of graphs to play or a massive spell list.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I honestly think 3-3.5 is the best version of D&D, but 5th is changing my mine because it's just so much easier to play. You don't need a ton of graphs to play or a massive spell list.
I'm reading stuff but finding I'm having a hard time taking in the info. Movement rules is where I really trip up. My D&D savvy friend suggested I just skip on movement rules and concentrate on everything else.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Even if the Nostalgia Critic series is over, we still have great comedic reviewers like Linkara and Film Brain. Plus Doug is making a new series so its not like he's gone forever.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Of any reviewer that I wish I could stand, it'd be Linkara. He CAN be funny and brings up some good points about the comics he reviews...

...if only his videos weren't SO FUCKING LONG.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Of any reviewer that I wish I could stand, it'd be Linkara. He CAN be funny and brings up some good points about the comics he reviews...

...if only his videos weren't SO FUCKING LONG.
I can see how people would be frustrated by him. He's wordy and he's fond of plot line (which I don't mind at all).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I love the plots in Atop the Fourth Wall. Pollo is awesome.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm reading stuff but finding I'm having a hard time taking in the info. Movement rules is where I really trip up. My D&D savvy friend suggested I just skip on movement rules and concentrate on everything else.
Movement is MUCH easier to understand if you have a grid map to look at. Each section on a normal D&D map is 5 feet, so if you have a speed of 30, you can move 6 squares an action. Every other move option is just a variation of the normal move action, so it's not hard to understand once you visually see how it works.

Bowielee

Bowielee

One thing I learned from To Boldly Flee... Luke is Colin Mochrie's son. I had not known that.

Also, in the dance video, Nella does a flawless charleston.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Colin Mochrie has had SEX? And has a SON? WITH A SHITLOAD OF HAIR!?

Who's Line is it Anyway is suddenly much funnier than it was before.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

i was genuinely surprised with the ending, and especially the annoucement that he's retiring the character. and for much the same reasons that i found him less enjoyable than other reviewers on the site. "theres only so many times i can scream and shout at a movie". so good for him, for deciding to throw in the towel when he was ready to move on to newer things, with a pretty awesome sendoff, i thought.
my favourite reviewer on the site right now is probably oancitizen. he nailed pretty much every scene he was in, and the 'lifetime of training in a syringe' (hah! dark city reference!) was one of the highlights of the entire movie.
"bad art is a distraction, good art changes people"

LittleSin

LittleSin

"bad art is a distraction, good art changes people"
I want this as a tattoo.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oancitizen and Nostalgia Chick as Ursa and Nod was just plain awesomesauce, as was the song.

"We're a DIS-TRAC-TION"

Covar

Covar

100 points for the Who's Line reference, 50 points for making fun of Colin, and 5 points for the bold typeface.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Its weird right? I thought it was just a joke at first but no he is his son. I'm gonna watch more of his videos now.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not sure if anyone saw, but yesterday Spoony started a commentary on "To Boldly Flee", and at the very start went into more detail about why his relationship ended with Channel Awesome. Here is the breakdown.

It was not due to Lupa. He thinks it didn't help the situation, but it was not the root cause. Lupa didn't have some vendetta versus him that caused it.

He felt he was losing a lot of money coming out to do the anniversary shows, so he wanted to get paid for the work, rather then just expenses covered. He said they were not going to do that, which annoyed him. He knows it makes him sound greedy but he was tired of losing money on the big crossover projects.

He learned about Doug killing off the Nostalgia Critic, and the new project idea will require a lot of people moving to Chicago to focus on it with Doug and Rob. Spoony sort of hinted that he was offered to join them, but didn't want to do it because he would have to give up his own website and didn't feel like he would be secure in Chicago.

He ended his overall reasons basically saying he didn't really need them. He felt like the whole relationship in general was very one sided in that he was getting nothing out of posting his videos on TGWTG. He didn't see any more traffic to his site and he is not sure if his videos were even really bringing more traffic to their site. Only 1% of his own traffic was from TGWTG links.

After that, he just went into the "politics" of working at Channel Awesome, which in his opinion has gotten out of hand because there are too many people. Certain critics get top billing on the ticker and the homepage at the expense of many other critics, which buries them under layers and layers on the website. Many critics have to pick a day to post far in advance just so they can squeeze into the top or side ticker and get noticed.

It's some interesting insight. Obviously some of it is probably biased, and I am sure it's not anywhere near the whole story, but it helps at least know this was not just something that happened because of a Twitter joke and more something that seemed to be building over time due to differences.

P.S. Actually he goes into even greater detail then I assumed. Really, you should just watch it. Even what I wrote here does not cover everything, it's just a sample.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's good that everything is finally out in the open at least and he's still interested/able to work with the others like he always has... though this really does makes me wonder how Channel Awesome can sustain itself if it's going to keep recruiting. It also makes me feel like Doug and Rob really need to loosen up and let other people take on writing duties so more movies can be made.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Huh. I only found out about Spoony because of TGWTG. His 1% extra traffic sounds a bit bullshitty to me, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, it sounds to me like the politics things is partly true. I've rarely seen people like, say, JesuOtaku on the ticker. There are only less than a dozen people who even have a front page section like Linkara, Paw, or Lindsay. The rest are really hard to find because of the site's search options. No surprise that it's easiest to find Doug's stuff because he appears to have an ego much like his so-called alter-ego has. I would hazard a guess that they do this partly on purpose to keep something of a revolving door on the site. If they become more significant, like Obscurus Lupa, who I only even knew about when she first appeared on The Room review, then maybe they get more of a "push" on the site.

Honestly, I think what they need to do is section off the site to different themes. One for video games, one for cartoons, etc. I think they already sort of do this, but it's so hard to find them. Whenever they have an anniversary movie, I have no clue who have the people are because I've never watched any of their videos or even seen them appear on the front page. The other problem is that only a small portion of them are even worth watching.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Huh. I only found out about Spoony because of TGWTG. His 1% extra traffic sounds a bit bullshitty to me, but I could be wrong.
The exact opposite for me. I learned about Spoony long before TGWTG. Hell, I only learned about Spoony because a search about the Fantastic Four movie led me to the artist who did his main splash page's web site.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Although, that said, you know what I think does help a number of producers? Crossovers with Doug. He's the main part of the site, of course, and when he does a crossover review with someone, it's helped me realize that there are some out there I had no idea about. Specifically, I mean ObscurasLupa and especially JesuOtaku, who I actively sought out after her Digimon crossover.

I used to hate the amount of crossovers that Doug does now, but I think it's helping a lot of producers now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Although, that said, you know what I think does help a number of producers? Crossovers with Doug. He's the main part of the site, of course, and when he does a crossover review with someone, it's helped me realize that there are some out there I had no idea about. Specifically, I mean ObscurasLupa and especially JesuOtaku, who I actively sought out after her Digimon crossover.

I used to hate the amount of crossovers that Doug does now, but I think it's helping a lot of producers now.
Agreed. His Jesutaku cross-over is how I decided to watch her Digimon retrospectives. ObscurasLupa I watched before though, but I think mostly because she did a Room review. Started with a big fish and what-not.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I liked Spoony way more than anything on Channel Awesome long before he joined them and will continue to (if he ever posts some damn game reviews).

This news along with the direction Doug is taking Channel awesome is just another reason I've removed TGWTG from my bookmarks, while still keeping Spoony. Though he may join them soon enough if he doesn't start getting some work done.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Movement is MUCH easier to understand if you have a grid map to look at. Each section on a normal D&D map is 5 feet, so if you have a speed of 30, you can move 6 squares an action. Every other move option is just a variation of the normal move action, so it's not hard to understand once you visually see how it works.
Even better idea, dispose of your D&D books and buy Mutants and Masterminds.

Bowielee

Bowielee

BTW, Welcome Back Green_Lantern.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

BTW, Welcome Back Green_Lantern.
I am sorry for not being at all active lately, but currently *this* and Geronimo are there only threads with have much reason to attract me... my fandoms are just not really in this forum, though I do miss it at times :|

Also, again, play Mutants and Masterminds.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

well, the nostalgia critic made a cameo in the new Nchick video. as a puppet. it suits him, weirdly enough.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nostalgia monopoly, bitches!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I liked Cutthroat Island. :( I saw it in theatres.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You also liked Superman Returns... so...

I keed, I keed...

mostly

Piotyr

Piotyr

So apparently Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick) is friends with Mara Wilson (child actress from Matilda). I...did not expect that.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So apparently Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick) is friends with Mara Wilson (child actress from Matilda). I...did not expect that.
I know right? Das just cray-cray.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are literally neighbors.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, that new show they're working on kind of looks like ass...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've barely checked the site lately, not because NC is done but really nobody's been on their game lately, at least to me. I used to keep up with Lupa, Phelous and Oancitizen but I guess I've just lost interest for now.

Piotyr

Piotyr

For me, NChick is always on point, and Paw's Music Movies is always a good watch.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, just watched the preview for Demo Reel.

Eh.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly think Doug Walker's ego is going to be the death of the site. He's already shown how bad he is about it by refusing to let the other producers write for the yearly movie, then he hung up his most famous character to work on something no one is really all that interested in.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Lupa covers Silver Bullet!

http://phelous.com/node/1432

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm looking forward to Demo Reel actually! Looks like interesting satire.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This is a really good one, haven't laughed that much at a TGWTG vid in a long time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Astoria seems to attract a lot of mid-20s artsy people. My New York friend gatherings always occur at one friend's apartment there and you can kind of see it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

On a whim, I tried watching some of Angry Joe for a change. I'd always found him annoying in any crossovers, but for some reason, he's much more reigned back in his own videos. Plus, he does some great critiques of the video games he reviews. I found myself agreeing with him more times than not.

He's not someone I'll go out of my way to watch with every new video, but I'm starting to enjoy his reviews.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On a whim, I tried watching some of Angry Joe for a change. I'd always found him annoying in any crossovers, but for some reason, he's much more reigned back in his own videos. Plus, he does some great critiques of the video games he reviews. I found myself agreeing with him more times than not.

He's not someone I'll go out of my way to watch with every new video, but I'm starting to enjoy his reviews.
Yeah he's definitely a good watch. Has a hell of a lot of videos though, would take a while to watchem all. The one I think was the funniest that I saw was the one where he did a rant on how Chick Filet is always closed on Sunday. Funny as hell.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

AVGN's movie trailer is out, and it looks like it could be pretty funny:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can't wait for that movie, brilliant concept!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also, Spoony's last review was pretty good. Seems like he's enjoying himself again.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, Demo Reel is absolutely terrible. I just can't stand it.

On the other hand, Spoony started his FF13 review, and I'm loving it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So, Demo Reel is absolutely terrible. I just can't stand it.
For some reason the death of the Nostalgia Critic single-handedly made me lose all interest in TGWTG. I don't know why, I did like going to see videos from Phaelous and Film Brain, but without Nostalgia Critic there to punctuate me going to visit ever Wednesday, I now just skip the site entirely.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

For some reason the death of the Nostalgia Critic single-handedly made me lose all interest in TGWTG. I don't know why, I did like going to see videos from Phaelous and Film Brain, but without Nostalgia Critic there to punctuate me going to visit ever Wednesday, I now just skip the site entirely.
It was removed from my bookmarks that day too. Haven't been back since.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I Actually do go to Phaelus's actual site for his and Lupa's videos. I also follow the blip accounts of Diamanda Hagan and Cinema Snob. Pretty much the only reason I go to TGWTG anymore is to watch Nostalgia Chic and Film Brain videos.

I do also visit Blistered Thumbs, but I usually go directly to their site as well.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I use Blip to watch Phelous/Lupa/anyone else I feel like checking up on, usually Oancitizen. Haven't been to TGWTG in months.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh, yeah, I follow Oancitizen's Blip as well. His 50th review was brilliant. I really thought he was going to stop doing reviews for most of it. Shit got DARK.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh, yeah, I follow Oancitizen's Blip as well. His 50th review was brilliant. I really thought he was going to stop doing reviews for most of it. Shit got DARK.
I haven't checked him in a month or so, I need to catch up. I really have to be in the mood for these review videos now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still visit TGWTG to check out Bum Reviews, Paw's Music Movies, and Bennett the Sage's Anime Abandon. But Demo Reel? Kinda terrible. I get that they wanted to move on before the character got stale but what they've moved onto is much worse than what they had.

And yeah, Spoony's been hitting them out of the park lately. He's just taking forever to get stuff out. He really needs a support crew but I can't imagine he's making enough to pay for one.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hope Spoony's FF13 gets better. There's a lot to really hate about the game, but nitpicking stupid shit like robes for 15 minutes is pretty lame.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hope Spoony's FF13 gets better. There's a lot to really hate about the game, but nitpicking stupid shit like robes for 15 minutes is pretty lame.
I would complain, if his nitpicky rants weren't awesome. The fact that he goes off on minutiae is kind of his thing. He even says as much in the video.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh I get that, I remember his other FF videos and I'm sure it'll get better. It's just funny that, considering this game has the absolute worst early-game of any FF, he chose to talk about robes and save points.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The save points make sense, in a way... I always imagined they were put down by soldiers in the war torn areas so they could requisition supplies with their expense accounts. As for the tracking thing...

It's explicitly stated in one of the later shops that the Cocoon fal'Cie have been preventing the government from tracing your shopping. They wanted to make sure you'd succeed in doing what they wanted.

So it makes sense, it's just kinda weird.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Not to turn this into a FF13 thread, but I think the issue is really that the first 20-ish hours are a big, shiny tutorial. You don't have your complete party and Crystarium options until you're quite a way into the game, and it's not till then that the combat really gets interesting (there are some boss battles, regardless of how much grinding I did, that really kicked my ass and had me at the edge of my seat). Sadly this fairly daring take on the FF combat is wrapped up in 50 hours of hallways and bland characters.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I didn't realize Spoony has switched to a different video host. Oh well, no more downloading videos from Blip's RSS feeds so I can watch them on my netbook. It kinda sucks that most web video won't play on it anymore. There's no good reason for it, either than Flash sucking.

Kovac

Kovac

I tried giving Demo Reel a chance but sadly it just failed to grab me at all.

And Nostalgia Critic was my portal into all of the other videos. Without it I just don't end up going there anymore.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Demo reel looks like a production designed to appeal to the other video makers on the site. It seems there are so many in jokes and references that I just don't get at all.

Doug's new interview series looks promising, though. Although I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the first guest he had, who I find fascinating.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So much of what's wrong with the site right now seems to be because of catering to Doug's ego (his refusal to let someone else write a movie for the "b-list" people on the site, so they could have a chance in the limelight), his ignorance (the site's overall design), or his fear (retiring the Nostalgia Critic in the face of annihilation by the movie company's lawyers and because he wasn't sure he could keep it fresh). He's THE big name for the site and his failure to contribute on a meaningful level is really hurting everyone else.

It really makes me wonder if the site would be doing better under new management.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

I only watch a few on the site regularly, Brad jones, Todd in the Shadows, Oancitizen, and Nchick. out of those, I actually look at Brads site or Oancitizens blip page because its more likely to have a episode up at least a day in advance of it showing up on the site, which reeeally needs a revamp, given how many people are contributing to it at any one time. especially when you have the nostalgia critic still on the main page, despite there being no more updates. I get that he's the figure head of the site, but its been a pretty long time since he announced it. Even dougs recent stuff is buried behind menus.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, looks like I've got a new site to go to.

http://chezapocalypse.com/atlonglast/

It's a site home to Nostalgia Chick, Todd in the Shadows, Maven of the Eventide and Brows Held. So...pretty much some of the best stuff on TGWTG right now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I still enjoy CR's stuff:

Best line:
Now this should be common sense, but whatever you do, don't go into the Denny's

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on

Right, who had "less than 6 months" before NC broke down and went back to reviewing?

Though, I have to admit, he really has improved as a film maker. There's some really great shots in this.

New rules: No cut off date. Any movies are open, except those currently in theatres. New review every two weeks instead of weekly.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on

Right, who had "less than 6 months" before NC broke down and went back to reviewing?

Though, I have to admit, he really has improved as a film maker. There's some really great shots in this.

New rules: No cut off date. Any movies are open, except those currently in theatres. New review every two weeks instead of weekly.
I'm wondering if he's doing this because his new project wasn't pulling people in (I thought it was awful) or if it's because everyone else was taking such a big hit without him headlining the site anymore? Regardless, I knew he'd be back to doing this within the year.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I thought he'd hold out longer. :p He seems the stubborn type.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I do feel bad about the people he hired JUST for Demo Reels. I hope they can be involved in the site in some fashion still.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Good to see him come to his senses. Looks like I can add it back to my rotation, maybe even catch up with a few other reviewers.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I actually really liked Demo Reel, but I'm at least glad he ended it properly.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Another one bites the dust. Jewwario has left Channel Awesome. With Nostalgia Chic starting her Chez Apocolypse website, I'm thinking the return of the NC is too little, too late.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/si...stin-qjewwarioq-carmical-from-channel-awesome

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Jew Wario left the site for money reasons: I.E. he wasn't making enough off of them to keep the relationship going. Honestly, I don't blame him. TGWTG has done very little to promote his videos, despite always giving him large parts in the site movies, and very few people know him from outside those. I can't think of a single time You Can Play This was on the side bar or header.

He's still doing content for at least two other sites, aside from his own. I know Retroware shows off his YCPT series and Rider Reviews... the other site shows his You Can Cook This stuff. Plus he's still doing cross-overs and such with everyone, so there's that. This isn't a bridge burning.

It really does seem to come back to the money. I KNOW that TGWTG has a million dollar advertising deal with Blip, but how much of that money actually goes to the producers and how much of that is going to the board and Doug Walker? It would be a dark irony if the indie internet kids became a shallow facsimile of the Hollywood system that pushed them away.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It really does seem to come back to the money. I KNOW that TGWTG has a million dollar advertising deal with Blip, but how much of that money actually goes to the producers and how much of that is going to the board and Doug Walker? It would be a dark irony if the indie internet kids became a shallow facsimile of the Hollywood system that pushed them away.
Having done a bit of research, apparently only Doug Walker, Lyndsey Ellis, and Todd Nathanson receive money from Blip to support their videos. Even more, Doug Walker is the only payed employee of Channel Awesome... so everyone else is only getting advertising money from their videos.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Having done a bit of research, apparently only Doug Walker, Lyndsey Ellis, and Todd Nathanson receive money from Blip to support their videos. Even more, Doug Walker is the only payed employee of Channel Awesome... so everyone else is only getting advertising money from their videos.
TitS (hahaha really) is really that popular? He kinds of annoys me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have to say, Todd in the Shadows should quit playing piano in his videos. He really sucks at it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

TitS (hahaha really) is really that popular? He kinds of annoys me.
He and Lyndsey have been dating for quite some time. It's entirely possible that whatever contract she made with the board also included him or she may have negotiated it at the same time. I think Lyndsey gets some special perks because her reviewer identity is tied ENTIRELY to Doug's, so she can't just up and leave.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He and Lyndsey have been dating for quite some time. It's entirely possible that whatever contract she made with the board also included him or she may have negotiated it at the same time. I think Lyndsey gets some special perks because her reviewer identity is tied ENTIRELY to Doug's, so she can't just up and leave.
I appreciate that in spite of this tie, she doesn't try to be Nostalgia Critic - female edition, even in the sense of really doing much humor. Her videos lately seem more analysis that's occasionally punctuated by a sketch or humor bit, and I've found those little bits to be really funny.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I do like TitS (hehehe,thanks for pointing that out CynicismKills ) but he uploads to seldom to deserve that kind of bonus.Should have gone to AngryJoe or Brad Jones.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It seems to me that the further Lyndsey gets along in art school, the further she gets from reality. There were points where she didn't even seem able to connect two threads of her own logic together in her LotR review, and I can't fathom how she's going to justify Wreck-It Ralph as one of the worst films of 2012 in her upcoming list.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm almost certain she's going to say it sucks because it relies so heavily on knowing about games and how they work. The actual plot is pretty predictable, if well executed, and they don't really explain things all the well... and when they do, it's about something that JUST came up. I love the movie but some parts of it are just...

It's sort of the problem Scott Pilgrim had. If you can't pick up on things VERY quickly, it can seem very disjointed. It's a movie made for a certain kind of audience. I may be in that audience, but that doesn't mean everyone else is.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My mom loved Wreck-It Ralph. She doesn't like video games very much, and doesn't know a lot about them. She likes word games like Bookworm and Words With Friends, and she's used Wii Fit before, but she's never played a platformer or first person shooter. She followed the movie just fine, and left the theater smiling.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It seems to me that the further Lyndsey gets along in art school, the further she gets from reality. There were points where she didn't even seem able to connect two threads of her own logic together in her LotR review, and I can't fathom how she's going to justify Wreck-It Ralph as one of the worst films of 2012 in her upcoming list.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I still think she's the best there is outside Oancitizen.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wreck-It Ralph is nowhere near the worst of 2012, and should have won the Oscar over Brave. I'd put it as the best animated movie of '12, with ParaNorman and Brave as second and third.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I actually would have put ParaNorman over Wreck-it Ralph, but that's probably because I'm a sucker of Claymation. Secret World of Arrietty deserves #3.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

To me, WiR had the most heart of the various animated releases this year, and easily the strongest story. ParaNorman was great too, but I got a lot more out of WiR all in all.

Back on point, I watched her top 10 video. I have to admit I'm curious why she dislikes WiR so much, but her assertion of it being a bad year for animation is dead wrong. Brave was gorgeous, WiR was a lot of fun, and ParaNorman was proof that stop-motion is still alive and kicking in a good way. They were all good movies, and to top it off we also got some great animated shorts. Adam and Dog was fantastic, as was Paperman.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know who else followed Nostalgia Critic's Pixar Disney-cember or is following his current Dreamworks-uary (rundowns of those companies' films and what he thought). Am I the only one who's annoyed by how heavily he seems to weigh each film's comedy over its other elements? It feels like several movies, whether I liked them or not, complains that he would've liked "more jokes", while acknowledging that a movie may have a lot of good dramatic scenes instead, or that it was just trying to tell a story, not seeming to realize that those might have been more important than inserting extra comedy.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't know who else followed Nostalgia Critic's Pixar Disney-cember or is following his current Dreamworks-uary (rundowns of those companies' films and what he thought). Am I the only one who's annoyed by how heavily he seems to weigh each film's comedy over its other elements? It feels like several movies, whether I liked them or not, complains that he would've liked "more jokes", while acknowledging that a movie may have a lot of good dramatic scenes instead, or that it was just trying to tell a story, not seeming to realize that those might have been more important than inserting extra comedy.
You're not alone. He's really heavy handed in his opinions. It comes across to me as being jaded. "You have to surprise me, but give me exactly what I want when you do."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You're not alone. He's really heavy handed in his opinions. It comes across to me as being jaded. "You have to surprise me, but give me exactly what I want when you do."
Hate to see if/when he does a Studio Ghibli month.

Grave of the Fireflies: "It was pretty good, but could've had more jokes."

Bowielee

Bowielee

I love that JessOtaku and Bennet the Sage both reviewed that movie at around the same time and had polar opposite opinions of the movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I love that JessOtaku and Bennet the Sage both reviewed that movie at around the same time and had polar opposite opinions of the movie.
Ooh, I'll have to check that out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I have the applaud Bennet for taking the harder road on GotF. It's not easy to make a negative remark about a Miyazaki movie, especially one regarded as one of his masterpieces.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Nostalgia Critic? I thought he killed that off?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nostalgia Critic? I thought he killed that off?
He brought it back when he realized that the character had more to offer, basically after watching Timothy Green. After seeing that and coming up with tons of new ideas, he realized he was just burnt-out from his schedule and decided to bring him back. That cast from Demo Reel know helps him with his Nostalgia Critic pieces, since that show was discontinued (since no one cared about it).

He has new rules for NC now:

- Any movie not currently in theaters is fair game. There is no more arbitrary cut-off limit.
- New full-length video every two weeks instead of ever week.
- To make up for there not being a full length video every week, we get short 10-minute one ever other week.

I gotta say that his new Pearl Harbor review might be his greatest work to date, so clearly the time away from NC did him some good.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thanks, that was interesting. I'd have to watch the movie again to see where I'd lean--it's been six or seven years and only the more striking moments stand out in my memory.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

He brought it back when he realized that the character had more to offer, basically after watching Timothy Green. After seeing that and coming up with tons of new ideas, he realized he was just burnt-out from his schedule and decided to bring him back. That cast from Demo Reel know helps him with his Nostalgia Critic pieces, since that show was discontinued (since no one cared about it).

He has new rules for NC now:

- Any movie not currently in theaters is fair game. There is no more arbitrary cut-off limit.
- New full-length video every two weeks instead of ever week.
- To make up for there not being a full length video every week, we get short 10-minute one ever other week.

I gotta say that his new Pearl Harbor review might be his greatest work to date, so clearly the time away from NC did him some good.
So in reality he noticed the huge dropoff of subscribers/visits after stopping the character and realized his error? Good on him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have the applaud Bennet for taking the harder road on GotF. It's not easy to make a negative remark about a Miyazaki movie, especially one regarded as one of his masterpieces.
(It's not a Miyazaki film; same studio, different director.)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So in reality he noticed the huge dropoff of subscribers/visits after stopping the character and realized his error? Good on him.
I think it's more that he realized that his co-workers weren't getting as many views any more and that he needed to step up if he wanted the site to keep going.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think it's more that he realized that his co-workers weren't getting as many views any more and that he needed to step up if he wanted the site to keep going.
By returning the character that made the site popular and caused a fallout in viewers when he retired it. Yes, we established that. There's a reason the majority of his co-workers aren't getting many views either the vast majority of them are very untalented and too raw there are exceptions in the crowd but the production value over all is too poor to appeal to a large enough audience to keep people coming back.

If NC hadn't debuted on Youtube, the site would have never succeeded. Nearly his entire crew also would be more faceless names in the crowd without his character driven website that people just happened to click around after there weren't any new NC videos up.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I really enjoyed the Nostalgia Critic's review of Son of the Mask. The two points that made the review for me:

• CR's cameo
  • Satan approving of his daughter watching Bratz

On the other hand, I've realized one of the things I really dislike about the NC's style. His tendency to speak for his audience. i.e. "The scenes are just so imaginative and inventive that you just get lost in them" and other phrases like that. I realize he's using a collective "you", but I still don't like it and I think that's one of the reasons that people become so offended when he dislikes something popular. He so frequently speaks as if he's the voice of everyone that when he says something his fans strongly disagree with, they feel like he's trying to tell them how to feel; because he actually has been telling people how they feel so often.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nostalgia Critic Farewell to Roger Ebert

This might be my favorite thing from Nostalgia Critic.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Damn...that was a powerful send-up.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I wish he would have just done it as Doug Walker and not the Nostalgia Critic, though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wish he would have just done it as Doug Walker and not the Nostalgia Critic, though.
You mean in name, right? Because I didn't get his NC character from that video at all. Maybe he did it that way so more people would watch it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always felt the NC's opinions wer the same as Doug's, just with overreaction for comedic effect.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watching Doug's favorite characters, I'm up to the 5th one, which is Tyrion Lannister. Cool that he likes Tyrion, but I have to wonder if he even watches the show. He says Tyrion was born into a royal family and over and over calls Tywin the king ... How do you even make that mistake if you're watching Game of Thrones? It's made so obvious who the king is at any given time and it's never been Tywin Lannister. This wouldn't be a big deal if the politics weren't such an integral part of the plot.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh God, I almost choked laughing at the Jurassic Park review. Say what you will of him, Doug still delivers.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Another one bites the dust. So far Spoony, Jewario, and Welshy are done with TGWTG, and I think NChick setting up Chez Apocalypse points at the fact that TGWTG may be experiencing some behind the scenes problems. I'm pretty sure NChick set up Chez Apocalypse as a safety net in case TGWTG goes under. I foresee Diamanda Hagen, Oancitizen and possibly Cinema Snob parting from the site at some time in the near future, but that's just a feeling I get. Possibly even Phaelus, Lupa and Angry Joe.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

From what I've been hearing, most of them are leaving because they just aren't making money with the affiliation and need actual income from the site to make up for what they lose from TGWTG stuff. For instance, Spoony came out and said that he usually lost money from the doing the movies because that was a week/two weeks he wasn't putting out a video and he had to fly himself out there and pay for the hotel room. He'd make some from the DVD sales but not enough to recoup his losses and barely anyone was watching his videos on the site. Jew Wario seems to left for similar reasons, as well as his desire to do content for sites other than TGWTG.

The biggest problem with all of this is that no one wants to talk about what is actually going on, mainly because they still consider most of these people involved friends. It's kind of hard to suss out the situation when NO ONE wants to talk about it.

As for Team NChick and Todd... they and Doug are the ONLY people on TGWTG that get a paycheck of any kind from the site for their works. I doubt they will leave as long as those checks keep coming. Even if they did, Team NChick has already attracted some other folks to help them out, such as Bunny Reviews.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I, of course, love Rantasmo.

Like I said, it really seems like Lindey's backup plan.[DOUBLEPOST=1368860271][/DOUBLEPOST]Honestly, I access Phaelous' site directly for his and Lupa's videos. I access the direct Blip pages for Cinema Snob (who by the way is the most prolific person on the site. He puts out at minimum 2 videos a week in addition to filming his own movies) and Diamanda Hagen (the second most prolific person on the site). I access all the Chez Apocalypse folks through their website, and Angry Joe directly through his YouTube account. The only thing I watch on TGWTG anymore is Atop the 4th Wall and the NC videos.

And I have yet to figure out how Blockbuster Buster keeps getting featured. He's just fucking terrible.

Krisken

Krisken

I just hope Paw keeps going in some fashion.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just hope Paw keeps going in some fashion.
Oh, he is, He's still part of TGWTG and Chez Apocalypse, so even if TGWTG goes under or whatever, he's already got an established home.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I watch Cinema Snob directly from his website; TGWTG doesn't update the midnight screenings fast enough anyway.