[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Basically Qwark, Odo, Garak and Dax are pretty much the only thing keeping me watching. And to a lesser extent Worf and O'Brien.

2 more episodes down in OitnB. 2 more reasons that this show is quickly becoming my favorite thing on "tv" right now (especially with Venture Bros already going on hiatus on Sunday and Dexter and True Blood being chores rather than actually being enjoyable).

Kate Mulgrew is so God damn awesome as Red, she's making Voyager retroactively more enjoyable. Her line in the chicken episode where she says,
Those Spanish probably won't even eat it, just cut it's throat and drink it's blood or something else superstitious. All I wanted was to eat the chicken that was smarter than other chickens and absorb it's power
wrecked me. I had to watch her deliver that line 2 more times.

But the 4th episode,
with how it keeps alluding to the violence possible with the screwdriver but actually twists into a bittersweet happy ending with absolutely lovely characterization all around.
has been my favorite so far.

2 more episodes down in OitnB. 2 more reasons that this show is quickly becoming my favorite thing on "tv" right now (especially with Venture Bros already going on hiatus on Sunday and Dexter and True Blood being chores rather than actually being enjoyable).

Kate Mulgrew is so God damn awesome as Red, she's making Voyager retroactively more enjoyable. Her line in the chicken episode where she says,
Those Spanish probably won't even eat it, just cut it's throat and drink it's blood or something else superstitious. All I wanted was to eat the chicken that was smarter than other chickens and absorb it's power
wrecked me. I had to watch her deliver that line 2 more times.

But the 4th episode,
with how it keeps alluding to the violence possible with the screwdriver but actually twists into a bittersweet happy ending with absolutely lovely characterization all around.
has been my favorite so far.
Leah Delauria is excellent in that show as well. It's weird seeing the actress who voiced Patty Mayonaise from Doug on that show.

NARUTO: My wife was showing the kids this show. She liked it when she was younger. I always though it was meh. Watching it again I've come to the conclusion... it's shit.

figmentPez

Staff member
NARUTO: My wife was showing the kids this show. She liked it when she was younger. I always though it was meh. Watching it again I've come to the conclusion... it's shit.
I think it's enjoyable shit, though, in a so bad it's good way. Shippuden, though, manages to have some honest-to-goodness kick-in-the-feels character moments. I just wish there weren't so much bland and/or childish filler in between those moments of excellence.

The moment where Naruto is sitting alone under a street lamp in the middle of the night with a dripping twinpop made me cry. It was a very well handled moment, that manged to bring weight to what is usually a pretty frivolous show.

For those that don't follow the show, Naruto has just received news that his teacher, Jiraya, has been killed. Jiraya was Naruto's first real father figure in his life, and Jiraya sharing a popsicle with Naruto was one of their bonding moments.

I hated that show since High School, however I would've probably liked if the main three were secondary comic relief characters and literally any of the other groups were the main protagonists. Especially that bug dude, he was awesome!

I hate Naruto so much. Like hate it beyond any sensible measure of reason. From Naruto's annoying fucking voice (both sub and dub) to the dumb as shit plotlines.

I used to like Naruto, but then I realized that nothing ever is resolved. Orochimaru is still there, akatsuki is still there and every defeated "bad guy" has appeared again.

I'm getting close to the end of DS9, I just finished watching the Klingon Wedding episode (that was not what I expected a Klingon wedding to be like. It was way to... Pretty).

Non- spoilery thoughts:

While I enjoy some episodes, and the dominion war space battles have been absolutely epic, I still find myself tuning out on many episodes, particularly if they center around Kira or Bashir. Even though I'm not a huge Sisko fan, at least episodes revolving around him advance the over-arching plot of the series.

I hear he gets tolerable in future episodes, but god damn it is Alexander the same whiny little douchebag he was back in TNG, only now he's an idiot whiny little douchebag as well.

Love Nog becoming the first Ferengi Starfleet officer. I'm sure everyone else hates him, but I have a serious soft spot for Rom.

Spoilery Thoughts:
Bashir has become doubly annoying now that his enhancement stuff has come out. He's now a poor man's Data. I see what people saying earlier about his friendship with Miles was based off a total lie.

Kira needs to be flushed out the nearest airlock. Jesus christ, quit being such a damn hippocrite. The episode that totally soured me is when she is disgusted by the way the Vorta regard the founders as Gods. Hello, you worship aliens too, dumbass.

The death of Ziyal was pretty much the only the second thing in the entire series to evoke a strong emotional reaction for me. The first being O'Brien's suicide attempt in Hard Time (so far, my favorite episode of the series).

I used to like Naruto, but then I realized that nothing ever is resolved. Orochimaru is still there, akatsuki is still there and every defeated "bad guy" has appeared again.
It's winding down in the manga and thus the show will follow, so it's almost over. Assuming it doesn't pull a Bleach or an Inuyasha and get cancelled before it can end like the manga.

I really hope they replace Bleach on Toonami when it's over. I'm just sick of it at this point. Pick up Case Closed/Detective Conan again. Yes, the plot is never resolved in that show ether but it didn't need to be. Each episode was good in and of itself!

GasBandit

Staff member
It's winding down in the manga and thus the show will follow, so it's almost over. Assuming it doesn't pull a Bleach or an Inuyasha and get cancelled before it can end like the manga.

I really hope they replace Bleach on Toonami when it's over. I'm just sick of it at this point. Pick up Case Closed/Detective Conan again. Yes, the plot is never resolved in that show ether but it didn't need to be. Each episode was good in and of itself!
To me the real travesty was the timeslot they stuck Case Closed in.. it was like, their 5 am show paired with Shin Chan that nobody would ever watch. IMO they should have stuck those two right at 10pm in the sweet spot.

I'm getting close to the end of DS9, I just finished watching the Klingon Wedding episode (that was not what I expected a Klingon wedding to be like. It was way to... Pretty).

Non- spoilery thoughts:

While I enjoy some episodes, and the dominion war space battles have been absolutely epic, I still find myself tuning out on many episodes, particularly if they center around Kira or Bashir. Even though I'm not a huge Sisko fan, at least episodes revolving around him advance the over-arching plot of the series.

I hear he gets tolerable in future episodes, but god damn it is Alexander the same whiny little douchebag he was back in TNG, only now he's an idiot whiny little douchebag as well.

Love Nog becoming the first Ferengi Starfleet officer. I'm sure everyone else hates him, but I have a serious soft spot for Rom.

Spoilery Thoughts:
Bashir has become doubly annoying now that his enhancement stuff has come out. He's now a poor man's Data. I see what people saying earlier about his friendship with Miles was based off a total lie.

Kira needs to be flushed out the nearest airlock. Jesus christ, quit being such a damn hippocrite. The episode that totally soured me is when she is disgusted by the way the Vorta regard the founders as Gods. Hello, you worship aliens too, dumbass.

The death of Ziyal was pretty much the only the second thing in the entire series to evoke a strong emotional reaction for me. The first being O'Brien's suicide attempt in Hard Time (so far, my favorite episode of the series).

Nog and Rom kick ass. I pretty much like any episode that has them in it.

Naruto and Bleach both fail to me because while they are interesting in terms of visual aesthetic, the plots aren't that different from your average super hero comic. There isn't that much sub-text to either of them, good vs evil bla bla bla. Also Naruto and Bleach as protagonists just bore me, its disturbing how many characters in both series interest me more than them which is a sure fire sign of weak story telling.

And why the fuck is it called Bleach? Lets hope they don't pull a "Z-sword" on us, because while I love Dragonball that always seemed silly.

Bowielee

Pretty sure he means in terms of the antagonists never truly dying to come back later. Though Sasuke did do the whole "My parents are dead" for I don't know HOW many episodes.

figmentPez

Staff member
Did you seriously just equate that foxfaced little splooge monkey to Batman?
Actually, I equated the Joker and every other Batman villain coming back time and time again, often from a death that would be considered definitive in any other medium, to the villains in the Naruto universe coming back. I get that people hate the show, and there are some totally legitimate complaints about it, but if you're going to complain that "the villains keep coming back" then that complaint should be applied to other works of fiction as well. For the record, I think it hurts superhero comics that villains (and heroes) come back so easily after having been killed, but it's a minor issue, all things considered. It is, sadly, a trope of many types of fiction for villains and ancient evils to rise again and need to be defeated for the up-teenth time.[DOUBLEPOST=1374470367][/DOUBLEPOST]
And why the fuck is it called Bleach?
It's called Bleach because of the white of the hollow's masks. At least, that's my understanding.

I can buy that, not the best meaning but I can buy that.

Anyone else find Bleach's mythology lacking? Its an assortment of ghosts, death gods, powered humans, and any weird combination of the three. The supernatural world of Japan is incredibly expansive and inspired the violent action series of Yu Yu Hakusho to the silly children's series of Kintaro. This series has no oni, no youko, no kappa, no Nabeshin, its a huge disappointment to fans of the occult.

And then there is Naruto how the nine tailed fox doesn't adhere to the traditional legend, and is just some random all powerful demon. There is great story in the conventional youko, a monster who has existed for 900 years and usually very cunning for living that long. Kurama(I can not believe he went with that name, there is tribute and then there is plagiarism) gives off the air of a rogue kaiju blasting tailed beast blasts everywhere. I guess Naruto was to show the cunning of a fox, but he never did anything too impressive other than spam his magic attacks.

To me the real travesty was the timeslot they stuck Case Closed in.. it was like, their 5 am show paired with Shin Chan that nobody would ever watch. IMO they should have stuck those two right at 10pm in the sweet spot.
When Case Closed first aired, it was at a decent time (Midnight, I believe) but it never caught on because people wanted the story to advance, not knowing that it could essentially never be resolved because it would undermine the entire show. It's also very much a family show, despite the focus on murders. Your right though... if it had been on earlier, it probably would have taken off much faster.

And Shin chan was fantastic. I honestly feel like the macekre dub did the Tim and Eric-humor way better than they themselves did, partly because they had to make it all work with the animation. I could at least watch Shin Chan without wanting to punch Shin in the face.

Endeavor : 1965 costume drama about a young Inspector Morse (Constable Morse.) Another Police Procedural, but thankfully there is very little forensic science involved. Mostly just the lead paying attention to minor details and having the murders fall into his realm of expertise. The lead actor does play a great damaged genius. I really like the Chief Inspector in this series, he is a real mother hen to this detective that NOBODY ELSE likes.

I can buy that, not the best meaning but I can buy that.

Anyone else find Bleach's mythology lacking? Its an assortment of ghosts, death gods, powered humans, and any weird combination of the three. The supernatural world of Japan is incredibly expansive and inspired the violent action series of Yu Yu Hakusho to the silly children's series of Kintaro. This series has no oni, no youko, no kappa, no Nabeshin, its a huge disappointment to fans of the occult.
"Fans of the occult" don't really watch Bleach to begin with. They watch stuff like Mushi-shi. Bleach is an action series with superpowers and dead people. I don't think Tite Kubo ever set out to make an occult-themed series.

GasBandit

Staff member
For me, Bleach had an interesting premise and was very interesting to watch... until they actually went to the soul society. Then it all fell apart into inane banality rather quickly.

I kinda feel like the best episodes of Bleach are the filler ones. The main story stuff is just incredibly boring.
*Does double take*

What? In addition to the general filler problems of not being able to advance anything, the bleach filler arcs are filled with so many ridiculous, stupid, or nonsenical plot points, not to say the main arc avoids all these, but the filler is so much worse in this regard. About the only one worth anything is the first half of the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc. As far an entertainment value goes, at least the main story includes more interesting fights and less episodes of filler characters on random, light hearted personal episodes.

Axe Cop

The first episode debuted on Sunday and I tried it out on a whim. Even though the story behind the comic's creation is brilliant, I'm not really a fan of the comic itself. And yet, seeing everything animated and giving all the ridiculousness a voice seems to work more in favour for the character. There's something about hearing Axe Cop throwing out his ridiculous one-liners like "We'll take my car. It's more awesome" as completely straight-faced just works.

I guess my beef with the show, which is the same that I have with the comic, is that it's TOO ridiculous. Similar to Dr. McNinja, it's like it's trying too hard to be weird and forgetting to tell a story. Mind you, I haven't read very much of either, but that was my impression of both.

Axe Cop

The first episode debuted on Sunday and I tried it out on a whim. Even though the story behind the comic's creation is brilliant, I'm not really a fan of the comic itself. And yet, seeing everything animated and giving all the ridiculousness a voice seems to work more in favour for the character. There's something about hearing Axe Cop throwing out his ridiculous one-liners like "We'll take my car. It's more awesome" as completely straight-faced just works.

I guess my beef with the show, which is the same that I have with the comic, is that it's TOO ridiculous. Similar to Dr. McNinja, it's like it's trying too hard to be weird and forgetting to tell a story. Mind you, I haven't read very much of either, but that was my impression of both.
I hate the Axecop comic, but loved Dr. McNinja... go fig.