[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

figmentPez

Staff member
Just finished the first 14 episodes of Attack on Titan. Holy shit, is that show nuts.
I'm only finished with episode 7, but yes. This show is pretty damn intense.

EDIT: Also, how on earth have you seen 14 episodes? Wikipedia's page only lists a 13.5 episode that's supposed to air on July 6th.

fade

Staff member
Dexter

Season premiere. Seems like they're backtracking on the end of last season. Then, even straight from the writers mouth, they were really pushing the whole "hey look, don't forget Dexter is a bad guy!" bit. This season premiere, they seemed to be pushing really hard to make the point that Dexter is in fact not your typical psychopath because he shows empathy and emotion. Things like teary eyed meetings with Deb, the confrontation and release of the driver who cut him off, minor panic over Harrison's temporary disappearance, etc.

Alright, more Frank watches Star Trek. I got about 5 episodes into Voyager before being so bored I had to switch series. Voyager is unbearably boring. Are there any sources of energy in the Delta quadrant that aren't sentient? No? Ok then. Forehead of the week aliens all look super lame, even lamer when I recognize the makeup from a background DS9 character.

Now I watch some Next Generation.

The early episodes are all shitty rehashes of TOS. Like, directly. Naked Now is a straight lift from TOS (to the point of them referencing it in the episode) and Code of Honor is every terrible episode of TOS mixed together. Shitty gender politics, fight to the death, absurd ancient human-esque alien culture, silly captain trickery, all the TOS cliches. The show couldn't be wrenched from Roddenberry's hands quick enough.

And Wesley Crusher. I always remembered him being lame but Holy fucking shit, he is onscreen AIDS. I don't remember him being so central to every plot.[DOUBLEPOST=1373173177][/DOUBLEPOST]
Finish all of DS9 already?

Yeah, marathoned the shit out of it. Have been watching them while gaming, working out, etc, Always have my laptop and Netflix handy.

Deep Space Nine is fantastic. Funny thing is I always remembered thinking they resorted to episodes about Vic the lounge singer too often, but in reality, it was only a couple of times and nearly every one was a great episode. The really shitty DS9 episodes were the Ferengi centric ones. They were almost always completely dreadful (except Little Green Men, Quark, Rom, Nog and Odo being who crashed in Roswell in 1947 was cute)

Wesley makes acting ensign in like the 5th episode. Holy shit, if I were an enlisted non-com on that ship, I would be so fucking mad taking orders from a 12 year old.

The Enterprise gets a new chief engineer every episode too. They have some real turnover for that position.

On DS9, as much as I liked the series, the finale was a bit of a letdown. Most of the space battle footage was reused from the battle to retake DS9 and the battle for Chintoka and we find out that Sisko's big destiny from the Prophets is to push Gul Dukat and a book off a cliff. Pretty antic-climactic. Most of the other characters get a decent send-off, with the exception of old Dax, the pretend like she never existed. Even when Worf is remembering his good times on DS9, they cut her out of it.

Also, Nicole De Boer has one of the most beautiful smiles on Earth, that shit ain't no lie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or the end of the writer's strike.
From what I read, Roddenberry had a very firm hand on the direction and tone of the show - everybody had to "learn something" including the audience in the most anvilicious way with every episode, and Roddenberry's clashes with writers caused a revolving door of quitting and new writers, which explains the stumbling feeling of the first season. Once he was out of the picture, Berman and Piller could get to work sculpting the star trek universe in such a way that led to the series' main success and paved the way for DS9.

Wesley makes acting ensign in like the 5th episode. Holy shit, if I were an enlisted non-com on that ship, I would be so fucking mad taking orders from a 12 year old.

The Enterprise gets a new chief engineer every episode too. They have some real turnover for that position.

On DS9, as much as I liked the series, the finale was a bit of a letdown. Most of the space battle footage was reused from the battle to retake DS9 and the battle for Chintoka and we find out that Sisko's big destiny from the Prophets is to push Gul Dukat and a book off a cliff. Pretty antic-climactic. Most of the other characters get a decent send-off, with the exception of old Dax, the pretend like she never existed. Even when Worf is remembering his good times on DS9, they cut her out of it.

Also, Nicole De Boer has one of the most beautiful smiles on Earth, that shit ain't no lie.
Whelp, thanks for that... Guess I don't have to watch the rest of the show now.

Nah, don't worry about it....there are plot twists larger than that...actually, he didn't spoil all that much.

CONTINUE YOUR....TREK.

WAKKA WAKKA.

Whelp, thanks for that... Guess I don't have to watch the rest of the show now.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention and I'd forgotten you'd said earlier in this thread you were watching it but I honestly didn't spoil much and was extremely reductive about what I did.

Beware the Batman

The series premiere aired this morning. Not as bad as I was fearing. Alfred isn't looking to be as much of a gun-toting action character as some of the original ads for the show were looking, instead keeping him as more of a support character who will occasionally have some action. Also digging how this show is putting an emphasis on lesser-known Batman villains, with the first two villains in this episode being Professor Pyg and Mr. Toad. Still not liking the look of Batman or Bruce Wayne, though.

All in all, there looks to be potential in this.

My only qualm is Batman being a little shinier than he should be, other than that it looks all right to me.

Also Gravity Falls last night, holy shnikes what a cliff hanger. And its cliffhangeryness is even more extended because the season finale comes out three weeks from now for some reason. Seriously what is with the release of these episodes?

My only qualm is Batman being a little shinier than he should be, other than that it looks all right to me.

Also Gravity Falls last night, holy shnikes what a cliff hanger. And its cliffhangeryness is even more extended because the season finale comes out three weeks from now for some reason. Seriously what is with the release of these episodes?
I don't know, but it has another season and looks to be still going, so I'm happy. And yeah, what a cliffhanger.

At least we know more now about what the triangle hat guy in the opening is, but how Bill Cipher will play out over the course of the series and his connection to Stan Pines will be a new matter.

I don't know, but it has another season and looks to be still going, so I'm happy. And yeah, what a cliffhanger.

At least we know more now about what the triangle hat guy in the opening is, but how Bill Cipher will play out over the course of the series and his connection to Stan Pines will be a new matter.
I know right? And is Stan faking not knowing or was it some crazy mind erasure deally bop? And of course Soos mystery blocks the audience from figuring out what is behind the vending machine, hilarious.

I know right? And is Stan faking not knowing or was it some crazy mind erasure deally bop? And of course Soos mystery blocks the audience from figuring out what is behind the vending machine, hilarious.
I hadn't thought to question if Stan remembered anything or not, but now I am wondering about that. Just another stick on the fiery mystery of Stan Pines. Also, I'm guessing the kid with the book in Stan's childhood memory may be his twin brother, if he is in fact a twin.

I hadn't thought to question if Stan remembered anything or not, but now I am wondering about that. Just another stick on the fiery mystery of Stan Pines. Also, I'm guessing the kid with the book in Stan's childhood memory may be his twin brother, if he is in fact a twin.
Twin brother? Now that I did not think of! Also, notice how Bill referred to both the twins AND Soos as Stan's family? It would explain why he works for free at the shack.

Twin brother? Now that I did not think of! Also, notice how Bill referred to both the twins AND Soos as Stan's family? It would explain why he works for free at the shack.

I've become partial to the twin brother theory ever since I noticed how much everyone calls him Stanley yet Gideon and Bud Gleeful both call him Stanford. That, and show creator Alex Hirsch said that people were guessing wrong about the figure in the time travel episode (who looks like a younger Stan Pines). That has led to a lot of speculation that Stan may have had a twin. My guess is that something happened to the twin and Stan is now posing (to a certain degree) as his twin.

Also, I did not catch that about Soos. Good find.

I've become partial to the twin brother theory ever since I noticed how much everyone calls him Stanley yet Gideon and Bud Gleeful both call him Stanford. That, and show creator Alex Hirsch said that people were guessing wrong about the figure in the time travel episode (who looks like a younger Stan Pines). That has led to a lot of speculation that Stan may have had a twin. My guess is that something happened to the twin and Stan is now posing (to a certain degree) as his twin.

Also, I did not catch that about Soos. Good find.
That wasn't past Stan? Holy shnikes that makes things so much crazier and cool!

I'm pretty sure Soos isn't his family. In the interview Stan did for a podcast, he mention that he basically hired Soos when he was a kid because Stan needed help around the shop and the guy just never left. He's basically family at this point, but unless Soos is Stan's illegitimate Colombian love child, it's doubtful he's part of the family. Yes, Soos is short for Jesús, so he's probably Hispanic. At any rate, Soos knows more about what is going on than he lets on... it's probably why Stan keeps him around/why Soos stays around.

Stan also mentioned something about Wendy being so tall because of freak lumberjack genes, so she might not be that much older than Dipper than we thought. Her height is apparently why she only seems to hang out with older guys.

figmentPez

Staff member
Regarding Gravity Falls, did anyone else spot the numbers in the end credits?

20-15 2-5 3-15-14-20-9-14-21-5-4...

Oh, all it says is "To Be Continued..."

figmentPez

Staff member
Beware the Batman

Still not liking the look of Batman or Bruce Wayne, though.
I'm more bothered by the look of the world. It's so empty and sterile. The rooms and streets just don't work well with the character designs, and look cheap.

In addition, I just couldn't really connect to anything in the episode. Maybe it's the mood I'm in, but I just didn't get pulled in at all.

Man, some episodes of early Next Generation are just staggering in their storytelling incompetence.

Just finished an episode that begins as a silly shitty comedy involving space Irish and halfway into it becomes a half-assed rape/abortion allegory about clones that goes absolutely nowhere before a super convenient resolution. I am shocked this show got beyond the second season (which boasts only a handful of episodes that are beyond poor).

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, some episodes of early Next Generation are just staggering in their storytelling incompetence.

Just finished an episode that begins as a silly shitty comedy involving space Irish and halfway into it becomes a half-assed rape/abortion allegory about clones that goes absolutely nowhere before a super convenient resolution. I am shocked this show got beyond the second season (which boasts only a handful of episodes that are beyond poor).
You've said this before, and I think I had the same response - The series got better once Roddenberry was out of the way. They gave Troi a real uniform (and ALL the uniforms got much better, with jackets and pants instead of tight onesies) and something more to do than just cheerlead, Worf became more than just the resident tough that the villain of the week would beat up to show the audience how tough he was, Wesley goes the hell away (though there is a brief period in the immediate aftermath of Wesley leaving that Geordi and Data find themselves in the "I did some stupid science experiment and now the whole ship is at risk" niche), and Q introduces the Borg. OH THE BORG, HOW GREAT THEY WERE. Also the sisters of Duras start to make Klingon politics interesting.

I warn you now, Alexander Rozhenko will become the next "Scrappy" of the series. In ways you can't imagine.

I'm aware, I've watched a lot of Star Trek in my day, but most of it when I was much younger. Watching it now in big chunks and in order is definitely shattering my rose tinted glasses.

Borg got introduced here in the second season, in one of it's only episodes that wasn't awful shit.

Just giving my impressions as I go about.

Alright, this complaint isn't strictly reserved for Star Trek, but a lot of sci-fi in general. Why do they always have to talk up humans? Oh, it's so uniquely human, oh humans have this something something that makes them special, etc, etc, etc. It gets nauseating.

Also, are humans the only species to interbreed with others? If someone is half something, it's always half-human half something else. I guess it makes sense, since humans are the vast majority of the Federation apparently.

I warn you now, Alexander Rozhenko will become the next "Scrappy" of the series. In ways you can't imagine.
For what it's worth, Alexander has become a bonafied badass by the time of Star Trek Online. Hell, he was even tolerable for the few episodes of DS9 he was in.

Also, are humans the only species to interbreed with others? If someone is half something, it's always half-human half something else. I guess it makes sense, since humans are the vast majority of the Federation apparently.
Virtually all the races in the universe can interbreed (with varying levels of success). It's never fully explained WHY this is possible, but it's hinted that all humaniod-type races are ether distantly related to the same species or created by it. This is why they can produce viable offspring that can reproduce in turn, unlike virtually every other instance in nature that creates an infertile monstrosity like a mule or a liger.