Export thread

Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Limit: 500

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Kind of like the movie thread, throw in some talk on some tv you've watched and don't want to make a whole thread devoted to it.

For me, right now, watching the new Dexters. All I can think about is how attracted I am to the woman playing Batista's sister. Aimee Garcia is a fox for sure. Side note, I think I need to get laid.

I doubt Edward Olmos or Colin Hanks will be as good as John Lithgow this season (as I doubt any further antagonists will be, John Lithgow's Trinity was probably the shark jump as far as the show goes) but it should still be an interesting season.

BananaHands

BananaHands

American Horror Story.

Meh. The Maid thing is pretty cool.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I know Sons of Anarchy isn't the best show, but fuck all if it isn't my favorite. I can't believe I give so much of a shit about a group of such lowlives that I've devoted the last 4 years of my life against.

Gryfter

Gryfter

American Horror Story.

Meh. The Maid thing is pretty cool.
I'll give this show a few eps to grab me more but so far.. meh.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Only things I'm watching consistently right now are Dexter and Community, both of which have not been disappointing so far this season. The last episode of Community was hilarious. I'm waiting for the Walking Dead to start, but I don't think there's anything else registering on my radar until a Clash of Kings starts up in the spring.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think you mis-defined 'jump the shark', Frankie. The whole idea of jumping the shark is that the show is starting to fall to the wayside, so the show starts running out of ideas. Yet, John Lithgow's appearance on Dexter was pretty much the highest point of the show to date (previously was season 2, in my opinion). Jumping the shark would mean the show starts doing clip shows or Christmas specials or something.
Added at: 07:27
Back on topic, though. These days, I'm not watching a lot. Mondays is How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls. The latter is okay at best, but it's fun and oddly crude compared to other sitcoms. which is a nice change. Then there's Big Bang Theory. And Dexter.

And...I think that's it. There's a number of shows I keep wanting to check out and start watching, like Community. I started watching Breaking Bad (only two episodes in so far) and really digging it. Ditto on Sons of Anarchy.

I've honestly not been one to watch a lot of TV in the first place, anyway.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I sort of like 2 Broke Girls, but I wish it would develop their secondary characters past dumb stereotypes and stop using rape as a punchline every episode.

Dave

Dave

Only thing I've watched lately have been football and Castle. I have every Terra Nova DVRed but I haven't watched yet.

Philosopher B.

2 Broke Girls should get some plots instead of scenes that just happen.

and stop using rape as a punchline every episode
Yeah, WTF, do the writers have like a rape joke quota or something.

I watched an episode of Terra Nova recently and hated it. Cloying, poorly-written, badly-acted ... dinos ain't worth it. If I was rich, I'd pay the writers a million dollars if they promised never to write teens again.

- PhillyB, currently going through Psych on Netflix and ruining his body with laughter

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Rape? I can't remember a single punchline that was about rape. There were moments where Denning's character would talk about her...less than innocent sex life and such, but nothing that's hinted at rape.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I think you mis-defined 'jump the shark', Frankie. The whole idea of jumping the shark is that the show is starting to fall to the wayside, so the show starts running out of ideas. Yet, John Lithgow's appearance on Dexter was pretty much the highest point of the show to date (previously was season 2, in my opinion). Jumping the shark would mean the show starts doing clip shows or Christmas specials or something.
Jumping the Shark totally means that a show has hit it's high point and will never be as good as that moment. I think Trinity was that moment for Dexter. I don't think Dexter will ever be as good as it's 4th season again. If it proves me wrong, I'm all for it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That doesn't mean that the quality of the show has dropped considerably, though. It's like how I felt about season 2: there's no way they'll be able to top that. Season 3 proved that but season 4 blew that thought out of the water. When a show jumps the shark, I'd say it becomes unwatchable. That's definitely not the case with Dexter. It's still been a great show.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Nah, a show that's jumped the shark doesn't become unwatchable. Hell, Happy Days was still one of the best shows on tv even after Fonz coined the term. It just means the show has hit it's high point and is on the downward slope.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

What. No. Jumping the Shark is the horrible thing that makes it irrefutable that the show sucks now. In Happy Days when they went to California was HORRIBLE. Every example of Jump The Shark I've seen before has been an example of something bad happening.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Gotta go with Charlie on this one. Jumping the Shark was soooo bad in Happy Days... it's like Scrappy Doo bad.

Dexter is not even close to a shark jump. There have been weaker seasons but overall it is still one of the best shows on TV.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I actually agree with Charlie - Jumping the Shark is not the "pinnacle" of the series - it is the point of no return. It is the point at which you can point and say "THIS is where this show became no longer worth watching."

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Rape? I can't remember a single punchline that was about rape. There were moments where Denning's character would talk about her...less than innocent sex life and such, but nothing that's hinted at rape.
The dentist office, I'm fairly sure it's mentioned in the pilot when she's on the subway, I'm honestly not being all--- over sensitive on this one. There is AT LEAST one overt reference to being raped an episode followed by peals of laughter.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll just chime in, not to agree with Charlie, but to correct Frank.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, alright, you guys win, I was wrong. I always assumed it was the high point before the downward spiral not the low point before the plummet.

BACK ON TRACK ->

This season of Ultimate Fighter has been probably the best one fight wise. Bantams and feathers are really leaving it all out there.

Gusto

Gusto

I watched ALL of Community in one weekend and am thinking about watching it all again. And nothing will get me to CHANG my mind.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I watched ALL of Community in one weekend and am thinking about watching it all again. And nothing will get me to CHANG my mind.
I wholeheartedly endorse this plan.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We need to start watching season 2 before we get too behind on season 3's display on NBC.com.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Guys...guys help me. I can't stop Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares on Netflix. Why do I love this man?!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope it's the UK Version.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Why THE FUCK do you want to FUCKING stop?!

LittleSin

LittleSin

I hope it's the UK Version.
It is indeed

Why THE FUCK do you want to FUCKING stop?!
I really don't....except this show make me hungry. Not at first but around the midpoint when he starts cooking I'm all like 'EAT ALL THE THINGS'.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys... I think I'm somewhat enjoying American Horror Story. Please help.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's okay, the guys behind Nip/Tuck rule

Gryfter

Gryfter

Guys... I think I'm somewhat enjoying American Horror Story. Please help.
Its not bad. I like the potential of delving into the house's past. I like the maid thing. I have to say I am tired of the figure moving past the camera in the fore/background, they overuse it a little too much, especially in this last ep. I like that some of the creepy music sounds like the score to Hitchcock movies, Vertigo in particular. But, I am still not 100% sold on it. Will have to watch more but somewhat enjoying it too.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yeah, it's a love letter to every horror movie, so we're getting the good and the bad.

I will say, I enjoy the focus on the characters that aren't part of the family. It adds depth to the type of character that'd just get a creepy stereotype.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Sons of Anarchy, damn, that's a good cliffhanger.

I actually feel pretty hard for Juice. That's some rough trade. I also feel for the sheriff being put into that kind of situation.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Okay, so, I can't tell if American Horror Story's confusing plot is distracting me from how terrible it is... but I feel like I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Another 'reality' show I am enjoying for some reason: American Pickers. I just love seeing what these guys dig up!

Gryfter

Gryfter

I am still intrigued. I think the more we learn of the history of the house the more interesting it's going to get.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I am still intrigued. I think the more we learn of the history of the house the more interesting it's going to get.
Yeah, I love the maid/neighbor relationship. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The Big Bang Theory. Now if only they started showing new episodes instead of reruns. The reruns still hold up, but I'd love to see more of what happened to Leonard and Penny after that douchebag Wheaton's bowling plot...

Yes, I know. Old news. I live in Finland, we get good shows at a year's delay, minimum. If we get them at all... still have to rely on the 'net if I want my fix of Doctor Who...

Steve

Steve

The shows I'm really into right now:
Dexter-while I'll agree season 4 will be hard to top as everything about that season was perfect, I have high hopes for this season. It's started off strong and the religion angle is intriguing.
The Walking Dead-Makes Sunday nights the best night on TV.
American Horror Story-I love this show. Nip/Tuck was one F uped show and this is heading down the same path. The shovel to the face in last episode-loved it. It's got enough mystery to keep me coming back. I can see this season being great. Think it would be hard to carry this on for more than one season. Show has a "Shining" feel to it which I loved as well. It's fun watching the family descend into madness.
Sons of Anarchy-I had all but given up on this show after last season. In fact I removed it from my scheduled recordings list on my DVR. So glad I gave this show one more shot. This season is getting back to what made the show great. The club being vicious and not knowing who is going to die.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Big Bang Theory. It's Always Sunny seems like one of those shows that people either love or hate. I have loved this season. The beauty pageant episode was fantastic.
So far this season is starting off great. Shows I dropped-The New Girl, Terra Nova, Homeland. If you don't have me by three episodes your done.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

RUM HAAAAAAM! I'M SORRY!

Gusto

Gusto

I finished rewatching all of Community (2nd watch-through in as many weeks) and soon I'll be viewing it with my new girlfriend allll over again. :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We're going one-by-one through episodes of season 2.

Sometimes this show is just too much.

Love it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think the last TV I watched regularly was probably Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs, more than 2 years ago.

And no, I haven't downloaded any shows in that time, either. Just the occasional cartoon or something while visiting others.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I really enjoyed "Once Upon a Time" tonight. Maybe I'm just sucker for fairy tales meet the real world, but I thought it was very well done. I'm liking what they've done with the characters, and the visual style. It works well for me, and I'm gonna keep watching.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A thought occurred to me with Dexter. And this is purely speculation, so there's no worry of spoilers, even if you've never watched the show:

Would anyone else, aside from myself, find it absolutely fascinating to see where they could take it if he got caught? All the secrets finally spill out, his own co-workers split on whether he's a hero or if he should fry, his sister's reaction, etc. For example...argh, have to spoiler this from season 2:

How would LaGuarda (sp?) react once she found out Dexter sort of framed Doakes?

Admittely, it'd pretty much have to be the last season of the show, but I think that'd be really interesting.

Dirona

Dirona

So I've finally been watching Castle, and just finished season 3, and OMGWTFBBQ!!!!?? That was so NOT a cool ending to that season.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Ok, I like American Horror Story, unfortunately if Direct TV and Fox networks can reach an agreement by Nov 1st, I will no longer have FX and therefore won't be able to watch the rest of the show. Bummer.

Gusto

Gusto

I gotta get on some Season 3 of Castle, thanks for the reminder.

BananaHands

BananaHands

A thought occurred to me with Dexter. And this is purely speculation, so there's no worry of spoilers, even if you've never watched the show:

Would anyone else, aside from myself, find it absolutely fascinating to see where they could take it if he got caught? All the secrets finally spill out, his own co-workers split on whether he's a hero or if he should fry, his sister's reaction, etc. For example...argh, have to spoiler this from season 2:

How would LaGuarda (sp?) react once she found out Dexter sort of framed Doakes?

Admittely, it'd pretty much have to be the last season of the show, but I think that'd be really interesting.
I mean, the could do a season with them finding out, and a final season with him on the run.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

On the topic of Dexter. He hasn't been a whole lot of blood spatter work this season at all. And why is he the guy dealing with the fucking corpse at the station?

Gryfter

Gryfter

On the topic of Dexter. He hasn't been a whole lot of blood spatter work this season at all. And why is he the guy dealing with the fucking corpse at the station?
I don't know, if it wasn't for his blood splatter work they wouldn't have found the angel. Also, on the dealing with the corpe, who's to say he didn't volunteer to assemble it. He is sort of into that type of thing. ;)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That angel thing bothered me more than anything. Are those first responders that bad that they didn't notice any of that?

I shouldn't watch TV involving the police.

Steve

Steve

That angel thing bothered me more than anything. Are those first responders that bad that they didn't notice any of that?

I shouldn't watch TV involving the police.
I thought the same thing. After the trip wire why the hell would they open a cabinet that's buzzing? Could have been anything in there including a bomb. Still a great season, though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"If only this were a time hoodie!"

I love Community.

Philosopher B.

Been watching HIMYM lately. Fuckin' love that Barney has kept that tie.
He even had it wrapped around his arm when he was shirtless at the Halloween party.
Also, they really went over the top with
the Lily pregnancy thing. It was like she had dementia or something.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Chardee MacDennis is the game of games.

Also, man, Sons of Anarchy wise
Clay continues to slip more and more into cartoonish supervillainy. I don't even know how you'd continue this show after this season.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Just watched the first episode of Grimm. I kinda like it, but one thing really bothered me. Who has only one song on their iPod? The show looks fun, so I'll ignore that giant plot-hole for now, but that is some horribly contrived writing.

Null

Null

As mentioned in the other thread, American Hoggers is an enjoyable show.

The show that followed it tonight, Lady Hoggers, is putrid. And worse, it's pointless. The show they already had on featured two not-unattractive, extremely competent hog wranglers. They're really good at what they do, both very handy with fairly powerful guns (judging by the box of ammo Krystal was loading from, her revolver is a .357 Magnum), and are right there planting a knee on the neck of a boar so they can hogtie it.

Lady Hoggers, however, is about two bitchy Real Housewives of Gainesville who don't know how to hunt, use their gear, follow their dogs, or do anything except criticize their coworker who actually does. The one job they got hired for was to deal with the hog situation on the ranch belonging to an 83 year old woman. There were over a dozen hogs including a bunch of stoats (young boars). They decide that what they need to do is sterilize the alpha boar, and after the featured ladies fail to make any appreciable progress, aside from wasting half they day and getting one of their dogs injured, eventually their sidekick finishes the hunt. The RHoGs then criticize him for capturing the boar instead of waiting for their instructions, castrate the boar while their sidekick is holding it, then drive away while he releases it, calling him an idiot. They didn't remove any of the hogs from the ranch. They say, "Well, that boar's not going to be siring any more stoats, so that should eliminate the problem." They didn't also sterilize the sows, and eventually some of those stoats (whom they didn't bother with at all) are going to grow into boars and sows...but regardless of that, the boars are still on the old woman's ranch destroying everything. And they have the unmitigated gall to look at the camera and go, "Now that's what I call a job well done."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now that is a job well done...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just finished marathoning through the first season of the US adaptation of Wilfred. I'm glad to hear there is a second season, because if it ended there I'd be pissed.

Steve

Steve

Got a coupon in the mail from our cable provider giving us HBO free for a year. It was activated last night so I started Game of Thrones last night. Don't know why but I was expecting something more along the lines of fantasy (like Lord of the Rings). A good show but after hearing my brother in law and coworkers rave about it I had anticipated being blown away.
Okay just finished episode 7 where Stark was betrayed. Really enjoying this series. Only three more episodes left. Bah.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Batman: The Brave and the Bold just ended. I did not expect the show to get shut down this soon. I watched nearly every episode and begrudgingly like the show over all. There were a few terrible episodes, but over all, it was a good series. The last episode even had Batmite and it was really a good episode because he was there.

Adam

Adammon

Just watched the series premiere of 'You Deserve It", the new game show where the winner plays for the benefit of someone else.

It's played to maximum emotional impact, they're obviously not playing "Live" no matter how hard they try to shoe-horn the recipient into it, and the game itself goes painfully slow. It's no "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" but the added angle of playing for charity is interesting. The game play is very simple, nine small clues to help you figure out a Who, What, Where and some of the clues are pretty difficult. Each clue you pay for by removing a randomly selected dollar amount from the board.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Episode 12 of Sons of Anarchy.

How in the hell is this not going to be the last season of this show?

phil

phil

Into season 3 of Dexter.

biggest twist, I have to say is,

LaGuerta possibly solving a case! HEYOOO!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I enjoyed the most recent episode of the Simpsons. A lot.

Is there something wrong with me?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Tonight's Sons of Anarchy is the first part of the finale entitled: To Be.

I guess they're reconnecting with the Hamlet with bikers theme it started out as.

Steve

Steve

Regarding last Sunday's episode of Dexter we had the big reveal. I won't post it here but those who watch the show know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately I read a spoiler online from someone who figured it out a few weeks ago (I should have known better) so I was robbed of the excitement of finding out this latest episode. I would not have had a clue that was going to happen. Great show but it seems Dexter is getting a little sloppy this season. Like his presence at the university. I would think there are security cameras everywhere and he's running around the halls with Travis the night before?
Sons of Anarchy. Frankie I asked that very question. The club is coming unraveled. I can't wait for tonight's episode. They've got the show to the point where you feel no one is safe. That uncertainty makes a show wonderful.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Can't wait for Sons of Anarchy to wrap up this season.

Also am loving catching up on Boardwalk Empire. I'm about halfway through Season 2

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I guess Kurt Sutter has a seven season plan for Sons if he can keep it going.

I am absolutely fucking stoked to find out how.

Steve

Steve

I'm waiting for HBO to put Boardwalk Empire season one on demand. I don't want to start in the middle of season 2. I've heard nothing but good things about that show. As I said earlier just finished up Game of Thrones. Another fantastic show.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's not on HBOgo?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watched the Neil Gaiman episode of The Simpsons. He only had about 10 lines, but the episode was funny. Maybe I'm a sucker, but the fake book they made didn't sound terrible.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

So, Sons. Pretty lowkey episode overall (which is good, when the show decides not to go lowkey we get embarrassing shit like the RPG battle). Can't wait to see how it culminates next week. I'm beginning to see how the show continues now.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So, Sons. Pretty lowkey episode overall (which is good, when the show decides not to go lowkey we get embarrassing shit like the RPG battle). Can't wait to see how it culminates next week. I'm beginning to see how the show continues now.
"lowkey"

Gemma telling Jax EVERYTHING isn't lowkey.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

"lowkey"

Gemma telling Jax EVERYTHING isn't lowkey.
Not everything, and I meant lowkey as in there wasn't a lot of guns a blazing cowboy shit, like as I meantioned, the silly RPG fight from earlier in the season.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

OH, well yeah. But still the
Tigs vehicular homicide and Jax magically braining a one-9er shooting backwards on a speeding motocycle was kind of eye-rolling. I'm calling the end of the season will be... I'm blanking on the one-9ers leader. He has a cool name, too, I just can't remember it. But yeah, he's going to kill Tara.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's LaRoy and holy shit, that definitely could happen.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't know why, but the pronounciation of it just seems really cool to me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I like the One-Niners because they're the show's connection to the Shield.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You know what show I love... Raising Hope

It's one of the few shows I make time to watch every week.

Gryfter

Gryfter

You know what show I love... Raising Hope

It's one of the few shows I make time to watch every week.
Yes! This show cracks me up. I love Maw Maw.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yes! This show cracks me up. I love Maw Maw.
You HAVE to watch her filmography. She has been brilliant for several decades.

Gryfter

Gryfter

You HAVE to watch her filmography. She has been brilliant for several decades.
Oh definitely, Cloris Leachman is the bomb. She is fricken Frau Blücher.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Supernatural, "Death's Door" (Friday, Dec. 2). Don't read if you didn't see the episode from before Thanksgiving ether.

Bobby never gives the Reaper an answer, which I think is for the best. I can't imagine the show without Bobby in some fashion, now that Castiel is gone (or so we think anyway). It really seems like they want this to be the final season, as they've whittled the reoccurring characters down to just Dean, Sam, and Crowley.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Watched the latest Dexter. I don't know about you guys, but I've been digging this season. Dexter's crisis of faith and the parallels between him and this season's killer are great.

I have a theory, though:

I think this season will end with Deb finding out about Dexter. The parallel between the other killer and his sister are similar: he leads a very twisted, dark life and she has no clue. That said, I think Deb will also be surprisingly okay with it, much like she was at the end of the first book that the show is based on. There'll probably still be a lot of drama from it, but that's where I think it's been hinting towards this season.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They're making that

Deb thing as obvious as possible. If they mention he's her safe place, her comfort, etc. etc. etc. anymore she won't have any other dialog. I'd be more surprised if she doesn't find out at this point.

Steve

Steve

I haven't been a big fan of Dexter this season. I think the writers tried to hard with the twist. Those of you who watch it know what I'm talking about. I hate to harken back to season 4 but when Dexter was with Trinity you felt Dexter was in danger. Travis is not a menacing adversary. I think Gellar would have been. The key to this show is to have a great villain and they didn't deliver this season. Like a coworker said, though "a bad season of Dexter is still better than 90% of the other shows." And I hope Dexter/Deb doesn't go any farther than a teaser in the preview. I was already weirded out when I heard they were married in real life (now since divorced).

Wahad

Wahad

So. Last night's episode of Castle.

A FUCKIN' TIGER

That is all.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So...I've started watching Community. And in the last three days, I'm already near the end of the first season.

Oh. My. GOD. Why didn't I watch this show sooner? Favourite episode so far is the paintball episode. :D

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We (the internet) told you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So...I've started watching Community. And in the last three days, I'm already near the end of the first season.

Oh. My. GOD. Why didn't I watch this show sooner? Favourite episode so far is the paintball episode. :D
That's my favorite as well. It's just a perfect little action movie. I could watch it over and over.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

We (the internet) told you.
Unfortunately, we (the internet) weren't enough people to keep it on the air.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Maybe if people (ThatNickGuy) listened to us...

Seriously though, Dan Harmon still seems pretty confident about it.
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/13675680180/crucial-update-on-my-bodily-functions
I just really want one more season, cause that's all Dan Harmon originally wanted. We're so close.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe if people (ThatNickGuy) listened to us...

Seriously though, Dan Harmon still seems pretty confident about it.
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/13675680180/crucial-update-on-my-bodily-functions
I just really want one more season, cause that's all Dan Harmon originally wanted. We're so close.
Same here. If they can just make it to season 4, let everyone graduate Greendale and bring the series to a good close, I'll be happy.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I loved Eureka's holiday special. The animated bits were hilarious. Especially the shift between multiple different styles just before one of the commercial breaks.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

UGGGGH to the end of this season of Sons of Anarchy. Fucking UGGGGGGH.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!

Way to pull the bullshit from nowhere in order to get to next season with as little change as possible.

Kurt Sutter, watch some Breaking Bad. That's how you end a season of a show you spineless fuck.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I loved Eureka's holiday special. The animated bits were hilarious. Especially the shift between multiple different styles just before one of the commercial breaks.
I didn't even know Eureka still had another season to go, so this was an early Christmas present for me! I thought for sure the finale we saw last season was it.

But yeah, I just finished watching it, myself. I was giggling all the way through it like a child. I loved when they had the two animation styles clashing briefly at the end. :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I didn't even know Eureka still had another season to go, so this was an early Christmas present for me! I thought for sure the finale we saw last season was it.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. The way they talked about he series, it sounded like it would be ending without a proper finale. But it looks like we're getting one last season to finish things up, so I'm happy.

However, there were times when I thought that special was absolutely ridiculous... and not in a good way.

Steve

Steve

UGGGGH to the end of this season of Sons of Anarchy. Fucking UGGGGGGH.
Based on the final episode nothing mattered this season. What a way to destroy what had been the best season of the series. They would have been better off ending it last week. And what they set up for next season has no appeal to me whatsoever. And the final scene was so sappy all that was missing was a group hi-five.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Enjoying Neverland, haven't seen part 2 yet still have it on the DVR.

Shaw Coyote

Shaw Coyote

Just watched the current episode of Modern Family. It was their best episode to date. I nearly killed myself laughing!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Watched tonight's episode of Dexter.
Not sure if I'm proud of the fact that I called that twist.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I watched two episodes of that Once Upon a Time show.

What a pile of derivative shit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I liked it, but to each his own.

I finally got caught up on Bones. I love that show.

During christmas break, I'll be watching all the shows I've been holding off on seeing in lieu of homework.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Watched tonight's episode of Dexter.
Not sure if I'm proud of the fact that I called that twist.
I knew it was a dream almost right away. That said, I really don't like that direction they're taking. Hoping it'll be resolved without being icky.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So am I the only one who wants to talk about Boardwalk Empire?

Tress

Tress

So am I the only one who wants to talk about Boardwalk Empire?
I really, really liked Jimmy as a character. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm eager to see how much of a fucking tear Richard is going to go on now. I also feel like we got the first good glimpse into Nucky's true self. Everything else up to this point has been with the shiny veneer he puts on to charm other people.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I really, really liked Jimmy as a character. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm eager to see how much of a fucking tear Richard is going to go on now. I also feel like we got the first good glimpse into Nucky's true self. Everything else up to this point has been with the shiny veneer he puts on to charm other people.
Hey, it's like Jimmy said to Nucky in the beginning of the series. "You can't be half a gangster anymore."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dexter

*ahem* GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Want next season....NOW!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Watching right now. Must steer clear of this thread for a bit I think...
Edit: :aaah:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've been watching Freaks and Geeks for the last couple of weeks. Why did I wait so long to watch this show?!

Steve

Steve

I've been watching Freaks and Geeks for the last couple of weeks. Why did I wait so long to watch this show?!
One of my favorite TV shows. I will forever hate NBC for cancelling after one season. If any network deserves to be in last place it's you NBC.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've only got two episodes left. Then, I dunno, maybe I'll watch Undeclared.

Bowielee

Bowielee

One of my favorite TV shows. I will forever hate NBC for cancelling after one season. If any network deserves to be in last place it's you NBC.
It seems like some of the shows I love the most end up being cancelled after 1-2 seasons.

I guess I'm just not "target demographic" material.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Kati and I both keep running into that problem.
1) (us) "Hey, this show is pretty good!"
2) (Network execs) "Hmm...let's cancel it."

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Its so frustrating that all great TV must get cancelled. Just finished the last episode. Why, NBC? WHY?!

Wahad

Wahad

Sherlock - A Scandal in Belgravia

So excited that this series is back! Great opener once more.

Steve

Steve

Undeclared is alright. You'll see a few cameos from Freaks and Geeks and that will fuel you through the episodes. But it was hard for me not to compare it to F&G (even though it's entirely different) so I never fully bought into it.
And regarding the cancellation of Freaks and Geeks I wish they would have given the show some time to find an audience. I don't know if anyone here watched the series when it was on NBC but the network did nothing to promote the show. Then moved it around, changed nights of the show, it became almost impossible to find it. Even though it was receiving critical acclaim the network decided to shut it down after one. I remember an interview with Jerry Sienfield who said his show was in the bottom 10 the first season it aired. I believe Cheers also finished it's first couple of seasons low. But the network didn't have anything else to replace those shows with and they eventually found an audience.
Just because a show is great it doesn't mean an audience will find it (Arrested Development) but at least give it a couple of seasons before pulling the plug. I get so frustrated with the television audience. I don't know how shows like AD and F&G don't find an audience but shows like Two and a Half Men do.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just because a show is great it doesn't mean an audience will find it (Arrested Development) but at least give it a couple of seasons before pulling the plug. I get so frustrated with the television audience. I don't know how shows like AD and F&G don't find an audience but shows like Two and a Half Men do.
Because a lot of people just want something on that they can digest at half-power. I have family who do not watch television shows, but they'll sit and stare at the TV every night, if you get my meaning.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Holy shit, why didn't anyone tell me about Lucky Louie? I've dug Louis CK but had never even heard of it.

The show is the most amazing anti-sitcom.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Since I'm on winter break right now, I finally got caught up on all the shows I've been having to miss in lieu of studying and homework.

Big Bang Theory
Doctor Who
Supernatural
Archer: what little of it there is :(
Clone Wars
How I Met your Mother (I'm thinking of taking this one off the viewing rotation, I'm getting pretty bored with it)
Game of Thrones
House

Last to get caught up on is Fringe.

I'd like to get invested in some of the newer shows like Grimm, but I just don't have the time to commit to TV that I used to.

Necronic

Necronic

Been watching Black Books and Father Ted on Netflix. Funny shows that hold up surprisingly well (usually british/irish comedy doesn't). Also watched Pulling. Another good one.

Finally I have been watching Parenthood. That's a fantastic show, although my gf makes fun of me and says its a girls show. She's been slowly pulling me into Gossip Girl (omg Chuck is evil/slick) and Ugly Betty (not a bad show)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My wife and I have started watching The Twilight Zone on Netflix.

For the handful of episodes that the twists have been spoiled for years due to The Simpsons and pop culture references, there's a load of these that are still gems after 60+ years and are thankfully not so referenced and parodied as to have lost their individual novelty.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Started watching How I Met Your Mother, to uphold my end of a pact I made with a friend to get her to watch Community.
I'm nearly finished the first season and I'm kinda bored with it. Its pretty good, but it isn't great. Its basically the new Friends, I think.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Its pretty good, but it isn't great. Its basically the new Friends, I think.
Except Friends didn't have a Barney...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Except Friends didn't have a Barney...
And Barney is Legen.....

Wait for it....

DARY!

Krisken

Krisken

Just got done watching season 1 and 2 of Party Down. Christ, why did I put off watching this? Freaking awesome.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Earlier this week I watched the season premier of Justified. When the show was over, I was kinda pissed. Because it hit me, that I had to wait a week for the next episode, and that there are only 13 shows per episode. That show is too good to wait for and only be given so few episodes a year...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Coupling

A British comedy done by Steven Moffat (current top guy for Doctor Who). Oh, my god, I haven't laughed so hard at a sitcom in a very, very long time. More so than Community, which is really saying something.

Bowielee

Bowielee

DO NOT watch the American version. It is totally terrible.

I have no idea how they could make a literal shot for shot remake of the pilot episode using the exact same script (with tweaks to language like Apartment instead of Flat) and have it turn out as horrible as it did.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

DO NOT watch the American version. It is totally terrible.
I'm sure everyone's already seen Friends.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, Coupling is like what happens when Friends and Sex in the City love each other very much and do the special naked dance.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sure everyone's already seen Friends.
If they haven't, they have now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If they haven't, they have now.
I do enjoy HIMYM, but its not exactly revolutionary.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

So, Fresh Prince of Bel Air is my girlfriend's favorite show of all time so we've been watching it together. It really holds up well and is still one of the funniest sitcoms of the 90's by a long shot.

Krisken

Krisken

Colbert's chat with Maurice Sendak was freaking brilliant. Hilarious.

Covar

Covar

Happy Endings. Pretty funny, and I think the only show from last year that I'm actually still watching.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just discovered Grimm. It's like... Brimstone meets, I don't know, Harry Potter? Anyway, liking it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh god I'm watching How I Met Your Mother, and
I just watched the episode where Marshall's dad died, watching the episode where they go his funeral right now. I'm seriously crying right now. I can't deal with these storylines. Any movie or TV show where they tackle that inevitability. My dad is still alive, and so is my mom, thank god, but I will not be able to handle that when it comes.
Seriously.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I just finshed Jim Hensons The Story Teller as it was on NetFlix.

Soo...this show hit all my nightmare fuel qualifications. I liked it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just finshed Jim Hensons The Story Teller as it was on NetFlix.

Soo...this show hit all my nightmare fuel qualifications. I liked it.
It's awesome.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

From the advice of every person I've ever met, I started watching three shows simultaniously: How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development and Doctor Who.

I finished How I Met Your Mother a little while ago and really quite like it! Don't get me wrong...I'm sick of the gimmick of not meeting the mother. Marshall and Lily are my favorite. =^^= Doctor Who is great, I like it so much more than I thought I would, but it is also very different tahn what I expected. As for Arrested Development...I think I need to watch more of it before I judge.

Also, my husband and I really love Phineas and Ferb. (I adore Perry! Esepcially because it's Dee Bradley Baker.)

Also also...I watch way to much TV.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Jim Henson's Storyteller (well anything by Jim Henson, really) illustrates how much better practical effects are than CGI.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I finally got around to watching an episode of An Idiot Abroad. Holy Crap, that is some funny stuff.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Terra Nova, second episode showed yesterday... and already I'm fucking sick of the lovey-dovey family stuff that seems to be Spielberg's trademark. Otherwise, I'm still willing to see episode #3 and hope the show gets better.

Oh well... I still got Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Kitchen Nightmares, Sons of Anarchy, Mythbusters and Criminal Minds...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Been enjoying The Finder for a few weeks.

ElJuski

ElJuski

no, that's not right. Nobody doesn't think Arrested Development is a bad show. It's impossible.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

no, that's not right. Nobody doesn't think Arrested Development is a bad show. It's impossible.
To be honest, I never thought much of that show. Though it might've helped had I started watching it right away...

ElJuski

ElJuski

absolutely effin ridiculous

figmentPez

figmentPez

Been enjoying The Finder for a few weeks.
As have I. It's bizarre and a little goofy, but it holds together. Reminds me more of a USA show than Fox.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

absolutely effin ridiculous
Well I'm sorry for not having that channel when the show started here :rolleyes:

LittleSin

LittleSin

I didn't like Arrested Development.

I just hated...everyone.

ElJuski

ElJuski

god what the hell people

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

god what the hell people
De gustibus non est disputandum.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I don't speak nerd pointdexter

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Not to be a grammar nazi, but since I was at first unclear as to your view: " Nobody doesn't think Arrested Development is a bad show" means no one likes it.

(Also: seriously, people, I'm astonished anyone could dislike it!)

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Also, my husband and I really love Phineas and Ferb. (I adore Perry! Esepcially because it's Dee Bradley Baker.)
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Also, Arrested Development takes a while to get used to, but once you see the sheer amount of brilliance that went into the writing, you will all realize how incredibly wrong you are.

You. Were. WRONG.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I've seriously only seen two episodes of Arrested Development...so...I have no attachment to characters yet, and I'm not used to the humor. I'm not saying it's a bad show at all, I'm just saying I haven't watched enough of it yet.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I've seriously only seen two episodes of Arrested Development...so...I have no attachment to characters yet, and I'm not used to the humor. I'm not saying it's a bad show at all, I'm just saying I haven't watched enough of it yet.
And I agree completely. It takes a while to get used to it, which is why I have yet to get my GF to sit down and tolerate me watching it. It's not really a show that you can jump in the middle and catch the funny episodes, but then it also takes a while for many of the jokes to become funny or even noticeable...

It's probably like, 70% inside-jokes and recurring gags. Or just stuff that completely flies under the radar the first time through. But they are hilarious.

However, if you can stick with it long enough, it's a wonderful kind of show that (unlike most shows) only gets funnier with every viewing. And that is the 100% truth.

Seriously, Juski can back me up on this. Or maybe Charlie too, I haven't heard if he likes this show or not, but I would sure bet he does..

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I didn't like Arrested Development.

I just hated...everyone.
Wrong.
Added at: 03:29
And I agree completely. It takes a while to get used to it, which is why I have yet to get my GF to sit down and tolerate me watching it. It's not really a show that you can jump in the middle and catch the funny episodes, but then it also takes a while for many of the jokes to become funny or even noticeable...

It's probably like, 70% inside-jokes and recurring gags. Or just stuff that completely flies under the radar the first time through. But they are hilarious.

However, if you can stick with it long enough, it's a wonderful kind of show that (unlike most shows) only gets funnier with every viewing. And that is the 100% truth.

Seriously, Juski can back me up on this. Or maybe Charlie too, I haven't heard if he likes this show or not, but I would sure bet he does..
I'll back you up! That is exactly what makes the show so great, so rewatchable. Lots of jokes, you don't notice until you look for them on your third or fourth viewing, it REWARDS you for being a fan. And thats also why it just couldn't work on TV, you can't jump in the middle, so it was never going to have many more viewers than it had on its premiere night.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Arrested Development rewards viewers with patience, which is something not granted to the "yuk"-a-minute pace of the normal bullshit, aged-awfully sitcom like Big Bang Theory. But Big Bang Theory has nerds talking about science, so.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'll definately stick it out with Arrested Development, never fear! (My husband and I both love Big Bang - he loves it because he understand all of the physics jargon and jokes that go on.)

ElJuski

ElJuski

or in another words,

COME ON!

PatrThom

PatrThom

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"Don't let the bastards get you down."

--Patrick

Steve

Steve

Doesn't anyone watch Justified? Come on people!!! Gets better each season. Got some of the best bad guys on TV. Not Trinity bad. More like Deliverance bad. If you like Darryl from Walking Dead you'll be a fan of Boyd Crowter. Season 1's main villain he really become a key character.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Justified is rad, that I can bring to the table.

Mixing good elements from Deadwood and The Shield? I'm in, I'm in harder than I've ever been in anything.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Justified is the best show on TV right now.

Also, House was cancelled - this season will be its last

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yes, Justified is freaking amazing. It makes my terrible weeks better.

Tress

Tress

Justified is fantastic. I feel like 95% of all other shows aren't even in the same league.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, House was cancelled - this season will be its last
Shame, but it's had a good run. This is what... season 10? Honestly, I was surprised they did a season after they resolved the UST between House and Cuddy. That was seriously the point it should have ended, because this Season hasn't gripped me like the last one did.

Tress

Tress

This is season 8. Typically I consider any show that makes it to 5 seasons a success, and anything past 7 is pretty good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Generally speaking, very few shows remain good after Season 7 and House is starting to get a little... boring. All the constant cast changes haven't helped ether.

Espy

Espy

You know who didn't like Arrested Development? Hitler.

Covar

Covar

How I Met Your Mother had a good episode this week. This show has been great, and I think in large part because of the 2 year extension giving the writers more flexibility in the story, and not having them have to work in a potential mother.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How I Met Your Mother had a good episode this week. This show has been great, and I think in large part because of the 2 year extension giving the writers more flexibility in the story, and not having them have to work in a potential mother.
You mean they STILL HAVEN'T SAID HOW HE MET THEIR MOTHER?!

:cool:

Hylian

Hylian

I have been watching Rurouni Kenshin lately and I only have 4 episodes till the end and it has left me with a few conclusions. The first season was pretty good. It introduced the main characters nicely and it gave us some interesting stories along the way. Season two was just amazing. It had an awesome storyline and it didn't have many filler episodes. Most every episode was used to further the story along. Sadly that leads us to season three. Part of the trouble is that is follows after season two and so its flaws stand out even more. There is a decent amount of filler and the few story lines they bring up fill forced and rather silly. The danger that is presented feels artificial and the villains don't have any real lasting appeal and to make it worse the stories all seem to have a lackluster ending to them. Still overall I have thoroughly enjoyed the series and look forward to watching the OVAs and the movie that follow.

LittleSin

LittleSin

If my husband is to be believed you will need anti-depressants for the OVA's.

Also, Watch Jim Hensons The Story Teller: Greek Myths. I'm not impressed.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Archer.

If you aren't watching Archer.... why aren't you watching Archer?!?

Dave

Dave

Just watched Archer and Unsupervised last night for the first time.

Where the hell have I been?!? These things are comedy gold, Jerry!

ElJuski

ElJuski

yeah. Now get on Arrested Development as tons of other amazing shows. Quoting a ten year old sitcom is all well and good, Dave, but get some fresh blood injected in.

Dave

Dave

I watched a couple of AD episodes and didn't care for them. Glad you like it, but I'm not going to go back and get all wet over a series that lasted 4 seasons. I see you AD fanbois like a lot of you see Browncoats.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I watched a couple of AD episodes and didn't care for them. Glad you like it, but I'm not going to go back and get all wet over a series that lasted 4 seasons. I see you AD fanbois like a lot of you see Browncoats.
Sooo you're saying a show can only be good if it lasts for more than 4 seasons? That's specious reasoning, and pretty sad that you're missing out on so much.

Dave

Dave

Did I or did I not say that I watched a couple of episodes? I think I did. Didn't care for them. Not going back to try and watch a show I didn't care for. You realize that I said the 4 seasons thing in the same paragraph as Firefly, right? I'm comparing rabid AD fans with Firefly fans. Either you get them or you don't. I'm not an AD fan and I won't be because I'm not going to waste the time to let it grow on me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Did I or did I not say that I watched a couple of episodes? I think I did. Didn't care for them. Not going back to try and watch a show I didn't care for. You realize that I said the 4 seasons thing in the same paragraph as Firefly, right? I'm comparing rabid AD fans with Firefly fans. Either you get them or you don't. I'm not an AD fan and I won't be because I'm not going to waste the time to let it grow on me.
That's kind of excactly why it got cancelled... The first few episodes are probably the weakest of the series.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's kind of like tossing away a fantastic book because the first chapters didn't hook you. Which I guess is your prerogative but hell if it bums me out you won't give it a few more episodes to sink in. Half of the fun is watching all the plates spin.

And, by the way, all this "rabid" fandoy-ism is coming from a former hater who saw an episode, went "meh" and shelved it until a couple summers ago when I gave a legitimate go. I was stupid to have put it off for so long.

Covar

Covar

It's kind of like tossing away a fantastic book because the first chapters didn't hook you. Which I guess is your prerogative but hell if it bums me out you won't give it a few more episodes to sink in. Half of the fun is watching all the plates spin.
I hate that attitude. If an author can't be bothered to make the first chapters/episodes something that's worth reading/watching and leaves you wanting to come back for more then its not a fantastic book/show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hate that attitude. If an author can't be bothered to make the first chapters/episodes something that's worth reading/watching and leaves you wanting to come back for more then its not a fantastic book/show.
Or at least it lacks a fantastic beginning.

Dave's experience kind of happened at my friend's house--she wanted us to watch it, but since you really have to watch from the beginning, we only watched 3 episodes before those of us new to it said we'd seen enough. I'm sure if I go and watch all of it, I'll love it, and maybe that'll be the next show my wife and I get to. At some point.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I hate that attitude. Just because something doesn't explode your brain cells into little pleasure fireworks by the first few pages doesn't mean that what you're reading or watching isn't inherently worthwhile.
Added at: 16:43
also, I should point out that often times a reader or a watcher comes in with different expectations, which build upon continuation, which then reflect about their opinion of what they've consumed prior hence. So, just because I don't think it's fantastic now, doesn't mean I might change my opinion then.

Espy

Espy

If people never watched or read anything that didn't grab you in the first 5 seconds we would all be missing out on things.

There's a series by Tad Williams, his Otherworld series, some of the best Sci-Fi I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The first half of the first book is almost impossible to get through. It's just so damn hard. There is so much to take in and so many damn characters it's freaking ridiculous. I put it down 3 times and started over as many.

I'm so glad I stuck it out since it turned out to be such an amazing experience.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You know who didn't like Arrested Development? Hitler.
I didn't know it was showing in Argentina.

I think I've said too much...

PatrThom

PatrThom

And, by the way, all this "rabid" fandoy-ism is coming from a former hater who saw an episode, went "meh" and shelved it until a couple summers ago when I gave a legitimate go. I was stupid to have put it off for so long.
That was kind of how "The Simpsons" and "Tiny Toon Adventures" were for me. I saw an episode which turned me off and didn't watch another one until much later.

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If I had watched Futurama and only saw the eyePhone episode and "That's Lobstertainment", I'd have hated the show.

Covar

Covar

So everyone here has read every book of the Twilight Saga right? Because otherwise how will you know if it's good or bad?

A first chapter or episode is supposed to give people a reason to keep reading/watching. If there is absolutely nothing that makes you go "I should keep checking this out" you're probably not going to like it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Unless someone goes, "No, keep going, it gets really good!" And then I would, because I'm interested in being entertained or enlightened, not carrying some bullshit contrary chip on my shoulder.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Covar doesn't watch movies. He can't understand why people would want to see an hour and a half of opening credits.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I actually read the whole first Twilight book and have sat through I think 2.5 of the movies

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I actually read the whole first Twilight book
To bask in the anti-feminism?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I was actually volunteering at a college feminist organization garage sale, didn't have a smart phone, and it was the book at the top of the pile. I thought reading it in between customers was the most hipster thing I could possibly do.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Because you'd be reading it ... ironically? :awesome:

Eh, this bit is getting old. Everyone has their trash that they like. I shouldn't judge.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I read the first twilight book as well as watched the first movie. They were both just plain horrible with showing no signs of getting better.

As for Covar's deal, there's a huge difference between one complete book or movie and one or two episodes of a TV show, It's more like reading the first 2 chapters of a book or the first 15 minutes of a movie.

So, your comparison fails drastically.

Krisken

Krisken

::Has no idea what is going on in this thread::

Holy crap, Last night's Castle was AWESOME. I have to wait a week for the second half? GAH!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm somehow reminded of the arguments for FF13 - "It sucks at first, but 30 hours in it starts to get pretty good."

That aside, the first season of Star Trek TNG was really pretty bad, but for a few exceptions.

In other news, I like Grimm. It reminds me a lot of Brimstone.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I never said 30 hours in. If you can get through at least half a season of Arrested Development and not find it remotely enjoyable, you're probably a robot, but that's also your perogative to stop. The thing is, and especially with shit like TV shows, it's not a singular vision going into it, and often times, it's development is very evolutionary (Take Parks and Rec, for example).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Covar's not into evolution. If the species doesn't start off well, better to go with extinction.

ElJuski

ElJuski

PS from my bitching and harping about people's stupid decisions not to watch Arrested Development, I started watching Eureka last night. The first episode was wishy-washy, and--hold for it--I'll probably give it a handful more episodes before I make my final decision to scrap it.

Oh shit see what I did there

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Finally caught up on HIMYM. My opinion remains the same; its Friends. Its a relaiable source for light laughs stemming from very formulaic comedy. It gets the formula right, so I'm not really bad mouthing it. Enjoyable for sure, great for when there's nothing else on, but how so many people seem to just lose their shit over it is beyond me.

Espy

Espy

PS from my bitching and harping about people's stupid decisions not to watch Arrested Development, I started watching Eureka last night. The first episode was wishy-washy, and--hold for it--I'll probably give it a handful more episodes before I make my final decision to scrap it.

Oh shit see what I did there
See, I did that with How I met your Mother. Everyone kept saying it was this amazing thing so I watched it despite my dislike for laugh track comedies. I gave it a whole season or so because, I don't know, I hate myself? Aside from a few good jokes here and there it was just standard mediocre laugh track sitcom (in my opinion, I know people love it, don't git yo hackles up peoples) and I moved on.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I did the same thing with Lost. Sat through most of the first season and then just fell off. Will probably try again sometime in the future.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

See, I did that with How I met your Mother. Everyone kept saying it was this amazing thing so I watched it despite my dislike for laugh track comedies. I gave it a whole season or so because, I don't know, I hate myself? Aside from a few good jokes here and there it was just standard mediocre laugh track sitcom (in my opinion, I know people love it, don't git yo hackles up peoples) and I moved on.
Only reason I stuck HIMYM out to the most recent episode was I made a very lopsided pact with a friend where I said I'd watch all of How I Met Your Mother if she watched all of Community.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That sucks man. That's like you having to watch every episode of Voyager in exchange for them watching the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I watched Survivor "One World" last night. Rather good stuff.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am liking "The River" a good bit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I had a similar pact with a friend of mine. I got him to watch Doctor Who. He started watching it because he couldn't think of a show in return.

Then he came back to me with Vampire Diaries. Given how fucking sick I am of the vampire genre, I said no.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I've heard Vampire Diaries is pretty fun.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh, I'm sure it is. But between Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and lord knows what else, I'm tired of vamps. And zombies.

Espy

Espy

Just finished all five seasons of Friday Night Lights.

Kinda bummed now.

ElJuski

ElJuski

my buddy is going through Mad Men right now, and it's great (also excruciatingly hard not to spoil anything) to watch alongside.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just started watching season 6 of Futurama, (or season 7, or season 8, depending on how you decide to keep track of their seasons). I wasn't overly pleased with season 5, and felt only 2 of the movies were good as well, so I put off season 6 until now. Only seen the first two episodes so far and the first was crap, but the second was pretty good.
Just found out today that Cartoon Network ordered another two seasons (or just the one season, again depending on how you want to keep track of Futurama's seasons), for 2012 and 2013, I hope the quality is better than 5 was.

fade

fade

I just watched the pilot of TOS. I haven't ever seen that. It's amazing how much was established right there in the first episode. "Engage", "Number One", etc. Some things were different, like "Time Warp Factor 7" instead of just "warp factor 7", and Spock showing emotion. Hoo Boy the rampant sexism. I sure see why they dropped Pike, though. That guy was more wooden than Pinnochio.

fade

fade

I honestly thought the bridge looked more modern in the pilot than it did in the second episode/second pilot. They went from glass iPad like panels for controls to switches and knobs and raised bulbs. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I like how much Spock liked to shout in the pilot and while sexist by today's standards, it did have a female XO, which is something I'd imagine was nigh unheard of and so unrealistic to the suits that Majel Barret got busted down from Commander to Nurse in the cast.
Added at: 22:28
It was more plausible to folks that an alien would be second in command than a woman (though I understand Roddenberry had to fight tooth and nail to keep Spock).

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like "Grimm." It reminds me of Brimstone. I also like that NBC streams it in HD from their website so I don't have to torrent the episodes.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Just watched all of G1 Transformers with the kid. It was my first time as I wasn't allowed to watch that kind of TV when I was a kid. I actually really dug it! Well, the first two seasons and the movie, anyways.

The last two seasons suck on toast.

We had to buy Jet an Optimus Prime because he was upset over his death in the movie. We haven't been able to find a child friendly Soundwave, though. Too bad, it's his favourite character!

We are now watching Beast Wars. I forgot how much ass this show kicked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We haven't been able to find a child friendly Soundwave, though.
Waitm what? I had soundwave as a kid, did he... do something I should have been aware of?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I mean something that won't break up easy.

For example, the Optimus Prime we found is like this:

opt.jpg

There's no Decepticons in the Playskool line. The soundwaves we have found are from the new movies so they look like heaps of twisted metal. Original Soundwaves run hundred of dollars and 'collectible' soundwaves aren't what you would give a child. :p

fade

fade

Waitm what? I had soundwave as a kid, did he... do something I should have been aware of?
You never transformed him into Ass-Rape™ mode? You were missing out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Texas Forever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and last weekend I caught the first 10 minutes of Eastbound and Down. Is it indicative of the whole series? Like, ricky bobby the series?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's an R-rated, nastier version, yeah, the series is really awesome.

Gusto

Gusto

The first 2 seasons of Archer.

YYYYUP.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I watched Survivor "One World" last night. Rather good stuff.
Wow, lasts night episode was the strangest in the shows history.

One of the tribes just demolished the other in the immunity challenge, then gave up immunity to go to Tribal council voluntarily and engage in a huge argument over social issues.

When the wrong tribe walked into the council area, Jeff was completely speechless.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

whoa, people still watch Survivor

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Survivor is still airing?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Survivor is still airing?
Oh it's staggeringly popular in this manor-squire.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watched the first two episodes of season 5 Doctor Who, aka when Stephen Moffat takes over finally.

Good stuff, like I'd expected. Kind of rough emotionally though. Also, the Doctor needs to get his timing straightened out--he has a friggin time machine after all. I'll try to make time to keep going through this on Netflix; I'd like to keep watching.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I mean something that won't break up easy.

For example, the Optimus Prime we found is like this:

View attachment 4703

There's no Decepticons in the Playskool line. The soundwaves we have found are from the new movies so they look like heaps of twisted metal. Original Soundwaves run hundred of dollars and 'collectible' soundwaves aren't what you would give a child. :p
There is the soundwave from the newer animated series from right after the first movie. I actually loved those toys.

tfan_swave01.jpg

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ooooh! That's cool! Where doI get one like that?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Watched several more episodes of Futurama season 6. MUCH better than season 5 so far. Maybe the next two seasons won't be crap after all.

Bowielee

Bowielee

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I finished season 6 of Futurama, and it has completely made up for season 5. I stayed away because the first episode after the Christmas one was so unbelievably bad I was afraid, but the writers seemed to finally get themselves back on track after that. I have high hopes for season 7 now.

And depending on how you keep track of the Futurama seasons, when I say season 6 I could also mean: season 8, the second half of season 6, the second half of season 5, or season 7. You figure out which one I'm talking about.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Watched GCB last night, very nice twists! I was pleasantly surprised with the Cricket revelation.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Just watched Seasons 2 and 3 of Misfits. The show missed Nathan after the actor departed at the end of the 2nd season, that's for sure, but Rudy was a decent addition. I love the shit out of this show. It's like a nastier Heroes, only funny and entertaining.

fade

fade

Is that a remake of Misfits of Science from the 80s? Starring young Courtney Cox as magnet girl.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Not really...I don't think so.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Misfits is a hulu orignal series, at least here in the US. I never made it through the first episode. I take it that it gets better?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Hulu original? It's British as all hell, and I really liked it. Though, to be fair, I didn't care for it at first.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Like I said, hulu original in the states. I believe they're buying up the us broadcast rights for a bunch of lower tier BBC shows and calling them Hulu original series.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I only got as far as the first season of Misfits. It was okay, but it just wasn't enough to motivate me to keep watching. As for what I'm hooked on lately...

Death Note

It's an anime that a friend of mine kept pestering me to watch. Funny thing is, I watched the first couple of episodes and then stopped. Then went back to it and obsessively watched another half dozen or so. Now I'm back again and almost up to episode 20. I honestly don't know what it was that had me stopping the last times because it's a damn good show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Death Note

It's an anime that a friend of mine kept pestering me to watch. Funny thing is, I watched the first couple of episodes and then stopped. Then went back to it and obsessively watched another half dozen or so. Now I'm back again and almost up to episode 20. I honestly don't know what it was that had me stopping the last times because it's a damn good show.
My favorite anime. It's great on so many dramatic and psychological levels. I'm impressed that a fiction could have two dynamically opposed characters and have a fanbase that's split down the middle in preferring one over the other. Amazing writing there to accomplish that kind of keying into people's values and feelings.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll reserve comment on death note until you've finished it. Don't want this to turn into another ME3 with pages and pages of nothing but spoiler tags.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Re-watching Beast Wars.

Just watched 'Code of Hero'. Still gets me.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Been watchin Parks and Recreation like mad. Nick Offerman is friggin' hilarious.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just watched the new 30 Rock and Community last night. I'm undecided on whether or not 30 Rock is slipping. I'm not finding myself laughing as much. Community was great, I was happy to have it back.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

GCB - this is my new drinking show!

Espy

Espy

Man, I think 30 Rock has been on a roll. Which usually means it's about to get crappy. They tend to do a bunch of amazing episodes then a few crappy ones.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I am loving Young Justice so much. This series is fantastic. It's a great mixture of humor and really dark-serious moments. Stories have weight to them, but heroes are still acting heroically. Really my kind of superhero show.

If you're watching YJ, I think you should also be watching Sirene's Young Justice vlogs:

So much fun to watch because she's always excited about the show and I love it when she rants about the fandom.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Overall I'm loving the first Moffat-headed Doctor Who season, but way to ruin the Weeping Angels.

Krisken

Krisken

I like Once Upon a Time. Shut up.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I like Once Upon a Time. Shut up.
I think it's a great show. The villains are fascinating, "love to hate" type bad-guys. There are some nice twists on the fairy tales, and the costuming is fantastic.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone see South Park last week? It was hilarious man. Real good satire on the toilet seat argument for sure.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Just watched the ending to The Shield again after thinking about how people say long form fiction rarely gets a "good" ending. Well, The Shield ended "good".

God damn it's a good series.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have yet to see The Shield, but it's one of those shows that I always wanted to watch. I love Michael Chiklis.

Gryfter

Gryfter

The Shield ended perfectly. One of the most satisfying series endings I've ever seen.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You know what had a really good series ending? Ed Edd n Eddy. The movie tied things up so perfectly, and was probably the best ending for the series. I sometimes cry when I watch it. We miss you Danny Antonucci.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

A friend of mine got me into the BBC Sherlock Holmes show with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. Pretty good stuff. Only have two episodes left before I joine everyone else in the wait for season 3

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just finished watching the entire series of The IT Crowd. It was hilarious!

Frank

Frank

It really is one of the funniest shows to come out of, well, anywhere.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I had watched the first series a while ago, but for some reason netflix only carried series one and series four for the longest time. So, I was finally able to see the whole thing.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

A friend of mine got me into the BBC Sherlock Holmes show with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. Pretty good stuff. Only have two episodes left before I joine everyone else in the wait for season 3
I just finished the first series recently and completely love this show! I'm tempted to buy the series 1 and 2 DVD...

The wait is gonna be a long one.....

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

GCB was wicked good last night.

fade

fade

Still occasionally churning through DS9 for the first time. I friggin can't stand Dax's superior attitude. I skip any Dax-heavy episodes now.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Mad Men was the tits. I was afraid I'd get bored of it by now, but time and time again, it really makes out to be an awesome show.

Also in the second season of Battlestar Galactica. Man Starbuck cries a bunch.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Madmen season premiere was fun.

Also started watching The Killing. Season 1 is on Netflix and season 2 starts next week. It's not as strong as some of AMC's other shows but I am liking it so far.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Regular Show was pretty funny tonight. A really good "The Wizard" parody. Though...it does make me confused on why video-games in this universe are still eight bit.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

in case you forgot, Mad Men is still a masterpiece

Krisken

Krisken

I'm going to throw something not mainstream into the mix.

Battleground on Hulu has been amazing. I'm amazed at how witty this series can be.

Frank

Frank

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't really enjoy Mad Men that much.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Got to see the last two episodes of Sherlock.
WHAT THE HELL HOW DOES THAT EVEN....HOW'D HE.... BUT WE SAW... WHAT THE HELL?!

Covar

Covar

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't really enjoy Mad Men that much.
It's pretty boring to me, and I don't find the "look at how terrible people were in the 60s" jokes to be that amusing.

Espy

Espy

I don't find the "look at how terrible people were in the 60s" jokes to be that amusing.
What?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Looks like were talking about Mad-men. The reason I never got into it is well it seems...obvious. If it were a movie, showing 60s guys being jerks that's fine. But a whole series? I would probably get the satire in the first couple eps, I wouldn't need to see any more.

Frank

Frank

I'm watching The Tick live action series. I dig it but I can't help but not like Bat Manuel nearly as much as I liked the God awful and cowardly Die Fleidermaus.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm watching The Tick live action series. I dig it but I can't help but not like Bat Manuel nearly as much as I liked the God awful and cowardly Die Fleidermaus.
I've been wantin' to catch that. Speakin of which, how good is the comic?

fade

fade

The live action show is great. I didn't watch it until years later, and I was sad my lack of viewership helped contribute to its downfall. If I recall correctly, they had it up against something really popular, though, so it was kind of doomed from the start.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

New season of Adventure Time, not a bad start. I like how they went straight off from where last season ended. Oh Finn, you are the ultimate metaphor for puberty.

Krisken

Krisken

Again, Battleground on Hulu. You're all wrong for not watching it. WRONG. That's right, I went there.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

First time I've heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I caught an episode of the new Avengers cartoon. Man it was terrible. Why doesn't Marvel do good TV?

Besides 90's X-Men and 2010's Spider-man

Frank

Frank

What episode? The new Avengers series has some weak episodes, but the new season just started with a fucking bang with Doctor Doom and the Fantastic Four. It was pretty wonderful. Not JLU wonderful, but better than anything Marvel's done before. Watching Dr. Doom calmly fuck up the entirety of the Avengers (sans Thor and Giant Man) and the Fantastic Four at once and then proceed to kindly ask them to get the fuck out of his country was one my favorite moments in any super hero related property I've seen in forever.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If were talking marvel cartoons, what's everyone think Ultimate Spider-man gonna be like?

GasBandit

GasBandit

90s X-Men was SUCH a soap opera though. I could barely get through the rest of my saturday after all that ANGST.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

90s X-Men was SUCH a soap opera though. I could barely get through the rest of my saturday after all that ANGST.
X-men without angst is like a day with-out sunshine in my opinion. Though yeah it did get pretty soapy, "Were not married!" "In our hearts we are" UUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Gusto

Gusto

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

South Park was...interesting. Wondering if Cartman will
remain Jewish.

fade

fade

WHAT? I love the new Avengers cartoon. It's like 50 X the show the 90s X-Men was. The only good episode of the 90s X-Men (in all its Liefieldesque glory) was when they crossed over with Spider-Man and had Webhead make fun of their over the top corniness in the show.

For me, I just watched the first 2 episodes of Breaking Bad. Pretty good. Reminds me of a combination of Firefly and Sopranos. Not on content of course, but on feel and style.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Been cathin' up on Star Trek. I saw the ep where the Enterprise met that ship that looked like a giant glowing honey comb sphere. I won't spoil it for anyone but it was interesting.

Frank

Frank

Been cathin' up on Star Trek. I saw the ep where the Enterprise met that ship that looked like a giant glowing honey comb sphere. I won't spoil it for anyone but it was interesting.

TRONYA!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Heh, his voice sounded weird.

Saw South Park last night. I felt the ending joke was okay but...I don't get it at all.

fade

fade

More on Breaking Bad

This is a really good show. I'm up to the fourth episode, and I'm loving it. The interjection of dark humor and quirkiness is nice. Mostly I love the central exploration of the blurred line between good and evil, and the way the show focuses on the good that bad people do and the bad that good people do. It also very nicely does the Seinfeld wrap-around where everything comes back into play by the end of the episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Man I need to finish Breaking Bad. I finished the first two seasons, and haven't seen any since.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The 90's X-Men show has not aged well AT ALL. The current Avengers cartoon? Flipping awesome.

As for what I'm watching, now?

Castle

A friend of mine has been bugging and bugging and bugging me to watch this. So I just finished watching the first episode.

Dammit, I'm hooked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, his voice sounded weird.

Saw South Park last night. I felt the ending joke was okay but...I don't get it at all.
It was kind of mashing together the whole recent anti-bullying awareness stuff with references to Kony2012. Jason Russell, the guy who made the Kony2012 video, had a mental breakdown and was arrested for masturbating in public in San Diego. It was both illustrating the hypocrisy of so many "awareness" movements that are, in reality, just cashing in, and throwing in some demonstration that coercion is part and parcel of human interaction. And, of course, playing the ironic/absurdist angle where Butters' bully is his grandma.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have watched every game of the NHL playoffs so far.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It was kind of mashing together the whole recent anti-bullying awareness stuff with references to Kony2012. Jason Russell, the guy who made the Kony2012 video, had a mental breakdown and was arrested for masturbating in public in San Diego. It was both illustrating the hypocrisy of so many "awareness" movements that are, in reality, just cashing in, and throwing in some demonstration that coercion is part and parcel of human interaction. And, of course, playing the ironic/absurdist angle where Butters' bully is his grandma.
Oh no I get the bullyin subtext. I mean the ...jacking it in San Diego. It felt like a really forced joke.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh no I get the bullyin subtext. I mean the ...jacking it in San Diego. It felt like a really forced joke.
I wouldn't say it was forced. It was the absurdist "payoff" to the multiple offhanded references Kyle had made earlier throughout the show. At the time, it just sounded like a vulgar way of saying "you're going to turn into Jason Russell, because like him, you care more about money and fame than the cause about which you are trying to 'raise awareness'." Then at the end of the show, the only solution left is to literally travel to san diego and jerk it naked in public.

Gryfter

Gryfter

More on Breaking Bad

This is a really good show. I'm up to the fourth episode, and I'm loving it. The interjection of dark humor and quirkiness is nice. Mostly I love the central exploration of the blurred line between good and evil, and the way the show focuses on the good that bad people do and the bad that good people do. It also very nicely does the Seinfeld wrap-around where everything comes back into play by the end of the episode.
Man Fade, you are in for a treat because Breaking Bad is far and away one of the best shows on TV... ever. The characters are all complex and the story-lines draw you in and pay off. I think the episode in the 3rd season, "Fly", is one of the best 40 minutes of television I have ever watched and it is one among many for this show.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know what it was, but I made it to the end of Breaking Bad's first season and haven't returned to it. I liked it, I see what others like about it, but it just wasn't engrossing enough for me to continue.

Gusto

Gusto

Man I loved "Fly".

fade

fade

The episode where he
has to kill Crazy Eight
was actually really sad. I loved how he looked for any way out of it, and then cried the whole time. Beautiful.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The episode where he
has to kill Crazy Eight
was actually really sad. I loved how he looked for any way out of it, and then cried the whole time. Beautiful.
Yeah that was a good one. The show really does balance Walt's criminal and emotional life well in the first season.

I wouldn't say it was forced. It was the absurdist "payoff" to the multiple offhanded references Kyle had made earlier throughout the show. At the time, it just sounded like a vulgar way of saying "you're going to turn into Jason Russell, because like him, you care more about money and fame than the cause about which you are trying to 'raise awareness'." Then at the end of the show, the only solution left is to literally travel to san diego and jerk it naked in public.
Oooooooooooooh, I get it now. That actually is a lot funnier in retrospect.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Almost out of Parks and Rec on Netflix... damn. We've really been enjoying this show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished season 5 of Doctor Who (or first Matt Smith season for those counting from the very beginning).

Watched the last two episodes back-to-back; that was pretty damn epic.

The reveal about Amy's parents was a total mindfuck--I can't believe I didn't even consider that before.

Frank

Frank

Is this the first season of the show where Stan has almost at no point been the voice of reason? He seems to be the character going off the rails lately.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Green Lantern - I am starting to warm up to the show, the pilot movie was pretty bad. But now that they are in space having adventures, the show has picked up a bit. I'll give it some more time on my DVR list.

Ultimate Spider-Man - oof. I am not a fan of constant 4th wall breaking and repeated Family Guy cut-away jokes. The action and animation is pretty good, but the humor is too forced.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is this the first season of the show where Stan has almost at no point been the voice of reason? He seems to be the character going off the rails lately.
And Kyle's been turning almost nihilistic, and Cartman's converted to Judaism. All that's left is for Kenny to strike it rich.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ultimate Spider-Man - oof. I am not a fan of constant 4th wall breaking and repeated Family Guy cut-away jokes. The action and animation is pretty good, but the humor is too forced.
Yeah, I had a bad feeling about it just from the trailer. Not only did it look like a glorified toy commercial, with new suits and the Spider-cycle, but then he turned into a toaster when he was fighting Electro. I haven't bothered with even once episode. In the meantime, however...

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

It doesn't have the deep characterization like the DCAU stuff was, but it's got great action and some hilarious moments. Hulk so far has been my favourite, especially in the running gag of "Hulk, stop hitting him!" and then he hits the dude one more time. :D That's never going to get old for me. Curious to see when they're going to pull the trigger on the Skrull/Kree war, though. They're slowly sowing the seeds.

Also...

Eureka

Ah, it's nice to have it back, even if it's only for half a dozen more episodes. It's one of those shows that makes jumping the shark its bread and butter. Like this week's episode, for example. I was literally bouncing in my chair, saying, "It's wibbly wobbley timey wimey! I love it!" And then early into the episode, they threw a curve ball that made me think something else was going on. By the end of the episode, that suspicion was correct. I can't wait to see what the outcome of all this will be.

It just makes me sad we're only getting five more episodes. I'm going to miss this show. :( It's sort of like seeing a new Harry Potter movie and seeing all the old faces in the background again. After all these years, every new episode makes you feel like you're a part of the town. I can't think of too many shows that has that kind of effect.

fade

fade

I really enjoy Avengers. My kids like it, too, so we all watch it together.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It just makes me sad we're only getting five more episodes.
No, Season 5 is going to be 14 episodes, though it's likely to be split into two half-seasons.

fade

fade

Still Breaking Bad: The episode with the junkies and the little red headed kid sort of rips your heart out, doesn't it? Man, I just love how this show is playing so much with the hero/villain concept. The worst thing that Walt is doing is dragging down Jesse with him.

Gared

Gared

Recently got my hands on the entire run of M.A.S.H. Season 8 is a very good year.

Covar

Covar

Downton Abbey Season 1. Watched this on Netflix, now I need to get the dvds so I can see season 2. So good.

fade

fade

Finally watching the 2011 season of Futurama. The episode "Law and Oracle" is really funny.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just a head's up for you Sherlock fans, season 2 starts Sunday on PBS. If you are not a fan, start watching it!

Krisken

Krisken

Just a head's up for you Sherlock fans, season 2 starts Sunday on PBS. If you are not a fan, start watching it!
Wait, didn't they have a season 2?

fade

fade

I was a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes when I was a kid. I devoured everything by Doyle and daughter. I loved the BBC series with Jeremy Brett. I've been worried about trying this new show, because something feels wrong about it. Should I try it? I realize it's updated, but does it honor the spirit of Holmes?

Covar

Covar

Yes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wait, didn't they have a season 2?
It broadcast in the UK back in January or so, but airs in America Sunday.

Krisken

Krisken

It broadcast in the UK back in January or so, but airs in America Sunday.
AAAAAAHHHHhhhh! Now I understand.

Krisken

Krisken

I was a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes when I was a kid. I devoured everything by Doyle and daughter. I loved the BBC series with Jeremy Brett. I've been worried about trying this new show, because something feels wrong about it. Should I try it? I realize it's updated, but does it honor the spirit of Holmes?
Try it, but don't expect it to be like the old Holmes. It's really a fantastic series and should at least get your first impression of it. Just don't go into it expecting the characters to just be updated versions of the ones you are familiar with. They're very different monsters indeed.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I like this series because someone finally got Watson right. Smart, but not as smart as Holmes. He is also a bit more daring. The show even touches on his womanizing.

fade

fade

That's good to hear. I hate when they make Watson a dolt. He was nearly as intelligent as Holmes in the books, and on top of that, he was definitely the superior fighter when violence happened.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

fade Houston PBS is showing all 3 episodes of the first series tomorrow.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Anyone feeling so inclined might want to switch over to Spike tonight at about 9 PM EST. I make no promises as to quality, but their new show "Undercover Stings" might just have a cameo by your friendly neighborhood O_C in the role of transport driver...

@Li3n

@Li3n

JERRY FORGOT TO VOTE!!!!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Doctor Who, season 6, "A Good Man Goes to War".

Holy shit.

I love that Doctor Who is having holy shit moments.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

The Guardians of the Galaxy in the newest episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? YES.

Bowielee

Bowielee

JERRY FORGOT TO VOTE!!!!!
You know, watching that today, I wouldn't care if they had cancelled the show. It would have been a perfect endpoint for the show.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sherlock 2 Hound of Baskerville: Holy-crap this is one of the best things on the Telly.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've been revisiting Dead Like Me. What a fun, cynical, yet not-as-intellectual-as-it-thinks-it-is series this was. Mandy Patinkon was far and away the best part.

Frank

Frank

I loved the first season and thought the show kind of lost steam in the second and the movie was hot trash.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Pretty much, yeah. The movie was terrible.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

huh. Still watching Dead Like Me. The goth chick that Mason has sex with in the record store is Jewel Staite. Makes sense, the whole show was shot in Vancouver (Like just about every sci fi show). Still. Didn't expect to see her there.

JewelStaite.JPG

fade

fade

Transformers G1 on Netflix.

Again, I'm surprised at the attention to detail that went into the art compared to most modern cartoons. These detailed Transformers are full of straight lines and are cel-shaded. The stories are mostly corny, but a few plot points struck me as surprisingly thoughtful. I am confused by something. He-Man and the Masters never actually hit each other because the censors wouldn't allow it. They did throws, but that's it. So how can the Transformers shoot at each other, and even show death of Transformers in the same time period? Because they're robots? But they're so anthropomorphized, does it make a difference?

Something else bothers me.. the plot driven capabilities of transformers. Human weapons don't hurt Transformers... until they need to (like the street tough taking out Tracks's tire). Autobots can fly... until they fall off cliffs, or until it's inconvenient to the plot.

One thing that I found interesting is that they very consistently show the Decepticons as more capable than the Autobots. At least in battle. The Autobots get their asses handed to them at least once an episode, and usually win by some strategy rather than outright.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm gonna go on a limb and say no one here watches Grey's Anatomy or wants to talk about the finale with me :whistling:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm gonna go on a limb and say no one here watches Grey's Anatomy or wants to talk about the finale with me :whistling:
I am dissappointed with the Lexi angle but completely understand it.
I am of the mind that the ex-virgin goes with Avery.
I think that the core group will stay as a result of the injuries suffered to Arizona and McDreamy.
I am disgusted that they are rehashing a plot device from their own show.
I am still mad at the chief for his adultery.
Bailley is still the only believable character on the show.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am still mad at the chief for his adultery.
Bailley is still the only believable character on the show.
With the elder Dr. Avery this season?
And I love Bailey too.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

With the elder Dr. Avery this season?
Yes.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Transformers G1 on Netflix.

Again, I'm surprised at the attention to detail that went into the art compared to most modern cartoons. These detailed Transformers are full of straight lines and are cel-shaded. The stories are mostly corny, but a few plot points struck me as surprisingly thoughtful. I am confused by something. He-Man and the Masters never actually hit each other because the censors wouldn't allow it. They did throws, but that's it. So how can the Transformers shoot at each other, and even show death of Transformers in the same time period? Because they're robots? But they're so anthropomorphized, does it make a difference?
Hard to judge what the censors think, especially ones from 30 years ago, but I would assume that even anthropomorphized robots are still just robots in their eyes. It seems like there was similar logic in the Micheal Bay movies, since Sam is the main character because we apparently can't identify with the robots.

Something else bothers me.. the plot driven capabilities of transformers. Human weapons don't hurt Transformers... until they need to (like the street tough taking out Tracks's tire). Autobots can fly... until they fall off cliffs, or until it's inconvenient to the plot.
Autobots being able to fly (without needing a jetpack, flight mode, ect) was basically just around in the pilot episodes. Past that they pretty consistently couldn't.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Grimm season finale! Cliffhanger! Reveal! Over right when it was getting good! GAH!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

House finale tonight.

I watched the last part of Sherlock season 2 last night.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Autobots being able to fly (without needing a jetpack, flight mode, ect) was basically just around in the pilot episodes. Past that they pretty consistently couldn't.
My nerd is going to show but this.

In a future episode some Autobots go back in time and its revealed that Megatron and his ilk were considered 'new' flying models and very much admired.

fade

fade

In a future episode some Autobots go back in time and its revealed that Megatron and his ilk were considered 'new' flying models and very much admired.
Yeah, I saw that since I posted. Very much admired by Orion Pax, who becomes Optimus Prime. Also the whole "stick your cable in her because only yours is compatible with her interface" thing on the episode with all the female Autobots. Some writers were having a good time sneaking sex under the radar, I think.

They actually address it directly in several episodes I've seen since I posted that. The origin episode for the AerialBots and Stunticons, for example.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yeah, I saw that since I posted. Very much admired by Orion Pax, who becomes Optimus Prime. Also the whole "stick your cable in her because only yours is compatible with her interface" thing on the episode with all the female Autobots. Some writers were having a good time sneaking sex under the radar, I think.
I totally forgot about that line! :D

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

**grabs "cable"

"Upload dis!"

Frank

Frank

Yikes, so after Kristen Wiig's big sendoff at the end of the SNL season on Saturday, it's also been reported that Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis are also leaving. That's a pretty monstrous blow to their cast.

Gared

Gared

They still make SNL? And people still watch it? I thought it died in the mid to late 90s and early 2000s.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

At one point Eddie Murphy left. At one point Adam Sandler and Chris Rock left. There was another exodus with Will Ferrell right? They'll just reload. SNL isn't dead, lots of people still watch it, and it's still making careers even if it isn't super hip much anymore outside of the occasional Digital Short (not anymore)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

People come out of SNL with careers because people watch it. Some of them should drop and fail, others do better than they ever did on SNL. Amy Poehler is way better on Parks and Rec than she ever was on SNL.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was devastated when most of the original cast left in '79. Yet it still survived. Except the next cast did not make it till 1980 besides Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo...

Necronic

Necronic

SNL is pretty hard to watch these days though. I watched the Will Ferrel episode 2 weeks ago with my parents and almost all of the skits were boring and vanilla, more to their liking but even then they weren't that funny. Then in the middle of that they throw in one of those digital shorts that's pretty offensive. I mean, I like the blue stuff as much (if not more) than the next guy, and I think the digital shorts are some of the funniest things on SNL (the Natalie Portman one may be one of the funniest things I've seen anywhere for quite some time), but it makes no sense to me to have Prarie Home Companion blended with Def Comedy Jam.

Frank

Frank

I'm not saying the show is doomed or dead, just that it's going to be one of those (generally awful) new cast seasons next year.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Above posters were largely responding to Gared, I think.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Listen to the ABCs of SNL podcast with Kevin Smith and Jon Lovitz, Lovitz sheds some light on what made SNL great in the past and why it so often fails now.

I was wondering when Samberg was finally going to leave. He outgrew the rest of the cast some time ago.

Frank

Frank

Been watching Young Justice. I like the show quite a bit (even when it's showing it's toy commercial roots a little hard) but man, some of that shit they just gloss over is very annoying. I had no idea that stupid space car (buy my toy) they cruise around in was that weird sphere thing that's attached to Superboy.

I was a little wary over the 5 years later thing but I dig some of the ways they've grown the characters (bummed out that Zatanna is basically already out despite only being on the team for a very short period of time). And the Aqualad stuff is great.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think there is a videogame coming out that deals with some of that stuff, but I could be wrong. You'd want to ask Pez about it, not me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm not excited about this season of Young Justice, but maybe that's because some of my favorite cosplayers are soured on it, and their opinions tend to rub off on me. So far Invasion has been a mixed bag, and I feel like they've tried to hard to set up mystery in the 5 year gap to sell the upcoming video game AshburnerX mentioned.

I did like Blue Beetle, up until this episode, because he's started to feel very one-note. There was more depth shown in the character just chasing the fake Bibbo than in the entirety of his adventure with Superboy recently.

What I like:
-Garth/Beast Boy and the brother-sister relationship he's got going with M'gann.
-Wonder Girl fangirling over Wonder Woman.
-The way the Bat-Family fights together (the action sequences continue to be very good).
-Bibbo cameo.
- Druggie Roy, "I need to find speed... y" I'm looking forward to see how his being a father Lian plays out.
- Adam Strange, so much awesome there.

What I don't like:
-Angelfish. Nothing against Lagann, but I really don't like that the Superboy/Miss Martian breakup happened off-screen. I do like that there's some definite depth behind the reason for the breakup, but I don't think the 5 year gap is good storytelling in that regards. It really compounds the problems that the end of last season had with the magic hook-up of all teen characters paired off and happy. It's a matter of show, don't tell. We're told that all these characters are in relationships, but only get shown real interaction for some of them. SuperMartian was shown a fair bit, but it's gone and we've mostly been just told why. What's been shown of Angelfish doesn't have any depth to it, it's about as deep as Aqualad and Rocket was (which is to say: not at all).
- Too many characters introduced too quickly. When Justice League went Unlimited, they had the core 7 still around, and they helped define the newcomers by their relationships to them. That's not the case with YJ going Invasion. We don't know the old team anymore, and most of them are gone as well. With as much change as Kaldor, Wally, Artemis, Connor and Dick have gone through, they're not the same characters anymore. There hasn't been a lot of character development.
- Too much time spent talking about what's happened. It's a very talky show that resorts to "As you know..." way too often.
- Poor balance between flashbacks and current plots. So much happened in five years, and it's not coming out very smoothly.

Overall I'm going to keep watching, because it's still some amazing action, but this is not anywhere near as good as Justice League Unlimited or Teen Titans were.

Frank

Frank

It's kind of falling short of what I expect of Greg Weisman.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

House had a totally Holmes ending.

well besides all the hallucination crap

Covar

Covar

Been watching Young Justice. I like the show quite a bit (even when it's showing it's toy commercial roots a little hard) but man, some of that shit they just gloss over is very annoying. I had no idea that stupid space car (buy my toy) they cruise around in was that weird sphere thing that's attached to Superboy.
The Super-Cycle is actually a nod to the Young Justice book, It just helps that it's very marketable as a toy. I'd rather that then Wolf (who serves NO purpose) and the toy stealth and snow costumes. Ditto with the 5 year later jump (aka lets kill Optimus Prime and every other character this movie).

Frank

Frank

I don't mind it's existence, I didn't like that I had no idea what it was for like half a season. I looked it up and apparently there was a scene way earlier where the sphere turned into the space car trike thing. I must've blinked and missed it.

The show skims over seemingly important stuff. Like, in the season finale where they suddenly had a cure for the starro mind control things and only briefly made mention how they obtained it much, much further into the episode. Always seems so rushed. Pez's telling not showing comments are dead on.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pez's telling not showing comments are dead on.
I've got to give the credit to JesuOtaku, her rants on Twitter about YJ made me realize how bad it is about that.

fade

fade

Wow, they really killed off almost the entire original cast in the opening scene of the movie. Some of the major characters didn't even get to speak. Poor Wheeljack didn't even get a death scene despite being a central character. He only shows up as a corpse.

The animation quality dropped a lot after the movie, too. The background paintings especially got worse. I would've assumed the opposite.

Frank

Frank

There was some real insane leaps and stumbles in animation quality after the movie. Call of the Primitives (despite being balls retarded) has some of the nicest animation the series would ever see.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think they weren't expecting to continue the series after the movie.

fade

fade

I thought the whole reason they set the show in the future was so they could continue the series without the movie continuity affecting anything. But then they decided to move the show to the future for some reason.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

By setting it after the movie, they can continue with the new toys characters they introduced in it, and leave the old, discontinued toys out.

There was some real insane leaps and stumbles in animation quality after the movie. Call of the Primitives (despite being balls retarded) has some of the nicest animation the series would ever see.
*Googles that episode*

The heck...? Why do I not remember this episode at all?

Poor Wheeljack didn't even get a death scene despite being a central character. He only shows up as a corpse.
:(

fade

fade

It's kind of annoying when they make a decision in this show based purely on the toy line. It's pretty clear in "Starscream's Ghost" that the defecting triple changer Decepticon was supposed to be Blitzwing. I guess the Octane toy was new or needed a sales boost, though. So inexplicably, Octane is the defector, and Blitzwing disappears, despite already being set up as a defector in a previous episode.

Frank

Frank

The teaser for the next season of Dexter plays like how I perceive every post Juski makes now (thanks to Sara)

Frank

Frank

Wow, so holy shit on Sherlock. I wish I had watched it before now. What a wonderful first episode.

SeraRelm

Wow, so holy shit on Sherlock. I wish I had watched it before now. What a wonderful first episode.
S2E1 is even better.

Frank

Frank

Why aren't there more feature length series' such as that one? I know there used to be years ago (mostly British mystery shows again).

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

BBC Sherlock rocks. Fair warning though, S1E2 is as close to a bad episode as the show has had so far.
S1E3 is EXCELLENT, as are all 3 episodes of season 2.

SeraRelm

First time you hear
Moriarty
speak you're gonna be all "wtf? this dude sounds creepy weird."

It totally fits.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Having fun watching the Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror" and doing my best (bad) George Takei imitation saying "Oh, my!" after each line that Sulu has.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've been watching Reaper for the first time. I'm now very sad that it only lasted two seasons.

Gusto

Gusto

I've been watching Reaper for the first time. I'm now very sad that it only lasted two seasons.
On one of the first days of Halforum, I was told by someone (I think Vytamindi) that I resemble the lead dude on that show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finished Sherlock season 1... saw no season 2 on Netflix... argh.

SeraRelm

There are ways....

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not willing to pirate, nor buy the disc at this moment. So my only recourse is to pout.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

For the US, Sherlock season 2 just started airing recently, I think.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

For the US, Sherlock season 2 just started airing recently, I think.
Yes, and all three episodes are done.

SeraRelm

And what a season finale. I can't wait for S3!

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I only have 2 episodes of Reaper left and I'm extremely sad that this show got cancelled without any chance to resolve storylines.

Basically, screw everyone who ignored it while it was on the air(including me). Reading it's wikipedia entry, it looks like it was one of those shows that fell victim to the writer's strike. Many shows survived only a half a season after the strike.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm watching Spiderman and his Amazing friends on Netflix. It's very cheesy but Jet LOVES it.

In this episode the X-Men show up with WOlverine. I find it funny that Wolvie is Australian here...and then was later played by an Australian after he had been tuned Canadian.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm watching Spiderman and his Amazing friends on Netflix. It's very cheesy but Jet LOVES it.

In this episode the X-Men show up with WOlverine. I find it funny that Wolvie is Australian here...and then was later played by an Australian after he had been tuned Canadian.
Heh, S&HAF was one of my favorites when I was a tyke as well. I have a sneaking suspicion Firestar was one of the formative influences on my preference for women's hair colors later in life. Well, her and Scarlet from G.I. Joe.

Frank

Frank

And what a season finale. I can't wait for S3!
Yup.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm done with most of Game of Thrones season 1. I think it's very good, but I like the books more.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Everyone does.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm glad it's not just me.

Frank

Frank

BBC Sherlock rocks. Fair warning though, S1E2 is as close to a bad episode as the show has had so far.
S1E3 is EXCELLENT, as are all 3 episodes of season 2.
I'll disagree, S102 is much better than S202. I think the show has kind of disappointing second episodes in their seasons. I liked the second episode a lot. I'm disappointed by that too since Hound of the Baskervilles was my introduction to Sherlock Holmes.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm done with most of Game of Thrones season 1. I think it's very good, but I like the books more.
Name one film/show that's better then the book it's based on and i'll show you a crappy book...

fade

fade

I started a whole thread for that a while back. The number one example you're going to get is The Princess Bride. Which is a bit unfair I guess, because the same guy wrote both and he had a career as a screenwriter before writing the book. And the book's not bad. Of course, the movie stripped out the running "life's not fair" bit.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Name one film/show that's better then the book it's based on and i'll show you a crappy book...
Princess Bride.
*edit: ......like...... fade..... said already......:ninja:

SeraRelm

Well, I kind of disagree on the basis of one aspect.

Tyrion in the series is way cooler than Tyrion in the books (as far as I read/watched) and he's the main reason I watched/read it. I'm fine with the "omg gotta see what happens next" method of writing, but there's a point at which it gets drawn out, and after years of Rumiko Takahashi and Robert Jordan style writers, I feel I have almost no patience for that style anymore. Any conclusion, after being dragged along for so long, is going to feel abrupt.

So yeah, I like the show better, but it's because of the one character I really enjoy.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The changes to Tyrion are the changes I like the LEAST about the show. In my opinion, as bad ass as Peter Dinklage is portraying Tyrion in the show, Book Tyrion is way cooler.

SeraRelm

*shrugs* Book Tyrion seems like he's less intelligent and far more naive. Show Tyrion wins, in my book.

Frank

Frank

They took away book Tyrion's intelligence since they either removed the ideas for the defense of King's Landing or made them Cersei's ideas that he co-opted (the wildfire).

@Li3n

@Li3n

I started a whole thread for that a while back. The number one example you're going to get is The Princess Bride. Which is a bit unfair I guess, because the same guy wrote both and he had a career as a screenwriter before writing the book. And the book's not bad. Of course, the movie stripped out the running "life's not fair" bit.
The Little Kuriboh rule says abridged versions of abridged versions don't count... :p

(guess i'm gonna have to read that book now)

fade

fade

Can't tell if joking...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Can't tell if joking...
:ninja:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just recently started with Breaking Bad.
"But checkeredhat, why are you just starting NOW?"

I am asking myself that same question. I'm only on episode 5 and this show is seriously gripping.

Frank

Frank

That show seriously only really gets better. The 4th season is some of the best tv ever produced.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I prefer to start series late now, so I can torrent the whole thing and watch it at my own pace (which is invariably much, much faster than it aired).

Covar

Covar

Been taking a break from Psych, I understand how it happens, but the first 2 seasons did such a great job actually making the mysteries fair that it's a bit of a disappointment when we're provided yet another flashback clue a the reveal. So what have I been watching? Malcom in the Middle. Good times, good times.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Finished the first three season of Breaking Bad, which is all Netflix has. For a bit there it was starting to get too Dexter-y, but it's saved by the fact that all the other characters aren't complete idiots. And then shit got real.

Edit:
That show seriously only really gets better. The 4th season is some of the best tv ever produced.

I have to find somewhere to watch it then, I suppose.

Vrii

Vrii

If the GTA meetup goes through I might be able to arrange for it to appear on your computer in some way. Maybe.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Don't watch a shitty rip, Season 4 goes up on Netflix this Sunday.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Are you sure that that goes for Netflix Canada too? Ours is notably crappier.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

nah I don't know a damn thing about Netflix Canada

I just advocate paying for things / watching them through the official capacities

GasBandit

GasBandit

And he's right, I checked demonoid, they don't have full seasons in 720p (though individual episodes are if you want to take the time to collect them yourself).

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just advocate paying for things / watching them through the official capacities
Haven't you said before that you theatre hop almost every weekend?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yeah I'm a huge hypocrite

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah I'm a huge hypocrite
Hey, I hate people who pirate video games...

I've got so many snes and ds roms

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm not trying to justify it, since I think what I do is wrong and I'm just a bad person and it's too low-risk for me to stop, BUT at least I do go to the theater that often and kill myself with $10 popcorn sometimes

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We're all hypocrites.

If I can watch it online legally, I will. I don't even care about the ads. It gives the station ad revenue, they can see the page hits the videos get, so I'm supporting the show.
But if it's not available legally, I have been known to delve into the.... seedier side of the internet. For what it's worth, though, if I like a series enough to watch it online for free, I will buy the DVD when it comes out.. Hell, I don't even own a blu ray player but I bought Game of Thrones on Bluray the week it came out.

Adam

Adam

I pirate like a motherfucker.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

we're not all hypocrites since IIRC, a lot of people here think it's rebelling against high prices or whatever justifications they have

ANYWAYS, I'm more offended by someone watching the low quality rips and cams of movies I guess. I kind of go feral when someone is all like "that movie sucked, ugh" "What theater did you visit?" "I saw a cam while I was making dinner and posting on the internet"

Frank

Frank

I used to watch cams when I was poor, nineteen and the internet was still the wild west it was ten years ago. Now, I both can't be bothered to watch something in such shitty quality and I can afford to take in a movie as often as I want.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Season 4 of Breaking Bad was indeed added to Netflix Canada this morning.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Mazel tov

Frank

Frank

I had a bet with someone I work with that (Breaking Bad season 5 opener stuff)

the cameras would be the thing that would be the main worry right off the bat in the new season. I WIN!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Netflix quality in Canada is actually pretty poor. Basically it's sub-DVD level (cruddier than basic 480p).

Frank

Frank

Really? It looks pretty good on my big screen. Do you have it set to HD when available?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'll have to check that Frank... didn't even know there was that option. I would be very happy if that changes things.

I'm used to watching blu-rays on my home theatre so I get twitchy when the picture quality isn't even as good as a decently compressed DVD.

Necronic

Necronic

Been watching Forsyte Saga for the last couple of days (girlfriend's choice.) Not bad. If you liked Downton Abbey you would like this one. Plus it has the dude from Band of Brothers in it, the main red headed leader guy who was like incredibly awesome and inspiring. In this show he's a jerk.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Netflix quality in Canada is actually pretty poor. Basically it's sub-DVD level (cruddier than basic 480p).
For the most part, I haven't really noticed this, but I just started watchign Breaking Bad season 4 on here, after having watched some of it already via questionable methods, and those actually had higher resolution. And I'm not talking about HD downloads or anything either; I'm talking streaming video, same episode I'm watching now.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yeah, I've noticed that the quality varies widely. I tried watching a few different things last night and certain movies looked great while other movies and TV shows looked bad (the x-files has particularly brutal compression artifacts).

Frank

Frank

Season 4 looks like shit on Netflix, just checked it out. I've never seen anything look that bad on Netflix before.

For shame Netflix.

And just as I type this, the higher definition version kicks in. It looks ok. Not HD but much better than it was when I started it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eureka

The series finale was last night. I'm glad they had a chance to finish stories up and such before getting cancelled. I was worried last year, when the space crew went missing, that that was the last we'd see of the show.

And yeah, it was never the best show by any means, but I enjoyed it. There were so many familiar faces, some of which were only in the background or had a few speaking roles, but the show really made you feel like you knew everyone in the town. It was sort of like Simpsons or the Harry Potter movies in that sense. Consistently seeing familiar faces.

Even though it's had a respectable run and was never any kind of Emmy-winner, I'm still gonna miss this show. :(

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I can't stop watching Downton Abbey. I'm just on the 1st season but my goodness what a soap opera. I'd like to accidentally kill Thomas.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finally got my wife to give Scrubs a chance after a couple years of bugging her.

She's devouring it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I went through Scrubs withdraw for awhile. It was almost the worst pain imaginable:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I rewatched seasons 1-7 fairly recently.I don't own 8 or 9 on DVD.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I rewatched seasons 1-7 fairly recently.I don't own 8 or 9 on DVD.
I warned her that I'm only willing to watch to the "true ending" of the show.

Also, I do NOT remember JD and Elliot hooking up in season 1. At all. I just wiped them getting together from my head, apparently, even though I've posted Dr. Cov's relationship bit in places before from that same episode.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Right now I only have season 1-7, and 7 was a another sort of ending for the show cause that was the last season on NBC, before it got renewed by ABC. But season 7 ends with the lacklustre "My Princess" episode, and I need the closure that that last scene of season 8 provides...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Today I finished season 2 of Downton Abbey. I don't know how I am going to wait until season 3 starts in January!

Espy

Espy

Guys I'm pretty sure there are only 4 or 5 seasons of Scrubs.

Covar

Covar

I liked the spinoff.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Right now I only have season 1-7, and 7 was a another sort of ending for the show cause that was the last season on NBC, before it got renewed by ABC. But season 7 ends with the lacklustre "My Princess" episode, and I need the closure that that last scene of season 8 provides...
I always thought the ABC bit was the second half of season 7, not considered an entirely new season. Now I'm checking Netflix and damn, ABC had a lot more episodes than I remember.

In that case, it's 1-8. I loved season 8.

Frank

Frank

True Blood this season has been retarded fun. Boy though, it's really dumb.

As an aside, apparently the dvds and blu-rays of Game of Thrones season one were all recalled over that George Bush dummy head (that the creators of the show had said was used because dummy heads are expensive and are often reused and that's what was available) used in one scene on a pike in the background. So, the day I go to make a big old Amazon order, they're not available anymore. BOO-the fuck-URNs.

Gusto

Gusto

Watching Castle Season 4.

Taking a full drink whenever Beckett and Castle accidentally accuse another law enforcement professional working on the case.

Far

Far

Currently burning through Misfits. On season 3 now and not sure how I'm liking the show without Nathan which is kind of tragic considering how much I loved the first two. Sure he was a prick, but you could tell he had heart, most of the time. Rudy just seems to be all twat.
I liked how in the first two seasons, the powers that each of the 5 got could be seen as parallels of their personality/character. The new set they get don't seem quite as thought out. Like you could give either to any one of them and it would make little difference. It is very early in the season though so I suppose I am judging prematurely.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Been watching Hell On Wheels. It's not amazing, but it's pretty darn good. There are so many characters that it took probably about half the season to really get into its groove. Writing was a little sloppy in that regard for the first little while. A bit disjointed and there wasn't much overlapping in the stories, made it difficult to tell really just what everyone's deal is.

But it definitely picked up, and I've really enjoyed the second half.
Glad to see it got picked up for a second season, especially since that'll start on Sunday, and Breaking Bad's only got two more episodes before it goes on mid season hiatus.[DOUBLEPOST=1344617152][/DOUBLEPOST]
I liked the spinoff.
I stopped watching it after the first 4 or 5 episodes, but my friend assured me it improved a lot later on in the season, when they seemed to kind of finally settle on who was the main character of the show.

Covar

Covar

Yea the last season suffered under network meddling, it was great once they stopped trying to force JD or Elliot into the show.

Espy

Espy

Hell on Wheels is as close as we are gonna get to a tv/film version of Red Dead Redemption.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hell on Wheels is as close as we are gonna get to a tv/film version of Red Dead Redemption.
That is very much a large part of why I'm enjoying it. Though I'd still pay unreasonable amounts of money to see Josh Brolin play John Marston in a RDR movie.

Frank

Frank

Wait, Breaking Bad is stopping at 6 for a hiatus?

They're only playing 8 fucking episodes this year.

FUCK YOU AMC.

Also, I too enjoyed Hell on Wheels for what is was. I love the Swede whenever that guy shows up in something, for example, in True Blood when he:

gets his head slapped clean off his shoulders by Russell Edgington, magical.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wait, Breaking Bad is stopping at 6 for a hiatus?

They're only playing 8 fucking episodes this year.

FUCK YOU AMC.

Also, I too enjoyed Hell on Wheels for what is was. I love the Swede whenever that guy shows up in something, for example, in True Blood when he:

gets his head slapped clean off his shoulders by Russell Edgington, magical.
Oh, wait,you're right. It stops at 8 for hiatus, not 6. So last episode we'll get in 2012 will be September 2nd.

Frank

Frank

Charlie Don't Surf will probably be the one to enjoy this Breaking Bad/Men's Right cretin the most out of everyone. It's pretty amazing just how much of a clueless idiot this guy is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40682570&postcount=6988

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40694281&postcount=7175

The show's writers have basically tried to show Walt someone who rationalizes his increasingly amoral acts to attempt to portray him as something other than just a straight up sociopath. Then guys like the above use those same rationalizations to attempt to claim that Walt is moral.

Cajungal

Cajungal

How did I go so long without watching Adventure Time?

Covar

Covar

Charlie Don't Surf will probably be the one to enjoy this Breaking Bad/Men's Right cretin the most out of everyone. It's pretty amazing just how much of a clueless idiot this guy is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40682570&postcount=6988

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40694281&postcount=7175

The show's writers have basically tried to show Walt someone who rationalizes his increasingly amoral acts to attempt to portray him as something other than just a straight up sociopath. Then guys like the above use those same rationalizations to attempt to claim that Walt is moral.
I'm still on the second season of the show but right from the bat it's clear Walt is not cooking for his family, the first person to mention leaving money behind for his family is Jessie, and Walt agrees with it, because near as I can tell it's an excuse he can use. Seems the poster there fell for that hook line and sinker.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

GOD I love me some Breaking Bad. This may be my favorite episode this season so far.
Me thinks they're letting Todd in on a little too much. Really curious where that is going.

Edit:
OH SHIT I hadn't actually watched the whole thing yet. Holy fuck, Todd.

Bowielee

Bowielee

halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad. LOVE this show.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Bowielee! You're back!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Bowielee! You're back!
-ish.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Good enough!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just finished Boardwalk Empire Season 2

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

How is that show? I never got into it. A few friends of mine were watching in the first season and all told me it was pretty bad (none of them made it through the first season, but I keep hearing a lot of good things since then, and it seems to be pretty popular. It must have improved? It's a time period and subject matter I think is really damned cool and so that show's definitely on my radar.
Basically, I need you to tell me to watch it.

Jay

Jay

It's a good show, not great. Good.

Stop having other people ruin things for you and create your own mild expectations.

Espy

Espy

It's quite good. It's not The Wire but it's a damn good period piece. Second season really gets good.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think the latter half of Season 2 pushes it into really great. (Boardwalk Empire)

This season of Breaking Bad (5) is -
more blatant about Walt being an absolute monster. He's filmed like a horror villain in almost every shot. He looked like an evil baron tying a woman to the train tracks even in the latest episode

I'm also close to naming Breaking Bad better than The Wire. We'll see when it wraps up. Although I haven't rewatched The Wire in a bit soooo

Frank

Frank

Dat last shot of episode 5.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Alternate ending

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I saw a gif of that video above and almost died laughing

Espy

Espy

I think the latter half of Season 2 pushes it into really great. (Boardwalk Empire)
It really does just go from being a good show to damn awesome.

Season 2 of Treme also took it from a messy but good show to a really freaking great show. More people need to watch this instead of GENERIC COP and/or LAUGHTRACK BULLSHIT SHOW.

I'm also close to naming Breaking Bad better than The Wire.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lets not say things we will later regret.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'll be the first to admit that it's probably knee jerk stuff to Breaking Bad being on TV now, and The Wire getting dustier each year. But. Fuck. Breaking Bad has had each season get better and better, and if it stays on track for a series finale, then wowie.

Espy

Espy

I'm in agreement, it's easily the best thing on Television right now. Nothing but Mad Men can rival it and honestly I think it stands pretty firmly above MM. The Wire though... it's pretty much perfect. Breaking Bad is great, but it's had it's moments of imperfection.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think Breaking Bad has been pretty consistently good and better with each season/episode.

How do you feel about Season 5 of The Wire?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Boardwalk Empire is a nice relaxing television show that can just grab you and take you out for a night on the town.

The period just seems to blend away into a normal character driven drama, until wham it just cripples you and you sit there on the couch going, that poor poor (character).

And they can really get you with a few surprise "Holy Shit! They went there! I can't fucking believe they went there!"

Espy

Espy

I think Breaking Bad has been pretty consistently good and better with each season/episode.

How do you feel about Season 5 of The Wire?
If I had to rank them it wouldn't be at the top of the list but it was still fantastic. And I'm not saying BB hasn't been consistently good, just that it has had room for improvement, which as you note it has done. Actually I take my comment on consistency and BB back, it started as good and it crept its way to greatness.
The Wire started at the top and never left. :p

The point is though, that Breaking Bad is awesome and the best thing currently on TV. Mad Men is a very close second followed by Treme in my opinion.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I read a review (It may have even been in this thread, but I think it was on reddit) that compared the Wire and Breaking Bad, and made the argument that it was akin to comparing the Godfather with Goodfellas. Both are incredibly engrossing stories, both feature top notch acting and cinematography, both are fine examples of film. But one is a little more of a slow burn, with slightly more artistic and literary integrity, while the other is inarguably flashier and just a tad more commercial. Both are undoubtedly among the very best in not only their genre but their entire medium, but even so... one will always be regarded as the artistic classic, while one is just a few notches below.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I used that comparison to go between The Wire and The Shield. I think Breaking Bad has a lot more artistic merit than y'all are giving it credit for! I also would say Breaking Bad is shot more beautifully than The Wire.

Espy

Espy

I used that comparison to go between The Wire and The Shield. I think Breaking Bad has a lot more artistic merit than y'all are giving it credit for! I also would say Breaking Bad is shot more beautifully than The Wire.
I really don't mean to bag on it, it's a GREAT show. And it probably isn't really fair to compare the two. They are very different entities.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Just started watching Grimm. I've only seen the pilot and 2nd episode so far, but it seems like it could be a good show. I have high hopes for the next few episodes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just started watching Grimm. I've only seen the pilot and 2nd episode so far, but it seems like it could be a good show. I have high hopes for the next few episodes.
You shan't be disappointed. Their next season just started the 13th, and I was anticipating it almost as much as I am the next season of Venture Bros. I especially like how they stream the few most recent episodes from their website in HD, so I don't even have to torrent them.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We're watching it on Hulu since we gave up cable TV to save a few dollars. I don't know if I'll get the new episodes as they come out. If not, that's ok since I still need to watch the rest of the first season.

evilmike

evilmike

Eureka

The series finale was last night. I'm glad they had a chance to finish stories up and such before getting cancelled. I was worried last year, when the space crew went missing, that that was the last we'd see of the show.

And yeah, it was never the best show by any means, but I enjoyed it. There were so many familiar faces, some of which were only in the background or had a few speaking roles, but the show really made you feel like you knew everyone in the town. It was sort of like Simpsons or the Harry Potter movies in that sense. Consistently seeing familiar faces.

Even though it's had a respectable run and was never any kind of Emmy-winner, I'm still gonna miss this show. :(
I agree, Eureka was never the best show, but it was a consistently fun show. I finally got to see the series finale. It was well done, with one really great surprise.
The end bit on the road where Sheriff Carter and Zoe passed themselves. That was the other half of the scene showed in the first episode! That's a Futurama level of callback.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That new Sherlock series is fantastic. The first season finale took me completely be surprise.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That new Sherlock series is fantastic. The first season finale took me completely be surprise.
Heh, just wait 'til you get to the second season finale. :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aaaah when is it getting on Netflix??

Covar

Covar

When Superman stops drinking. :wololo:

Necronic

Necronic

A friend got me into Supernatural recently. I had never seen it or heard of it before. I am so addicted to this show that it is causing problems in my personal life.

Frank

Frank

Ugh, so Hell on Wheels is a solidly mediocre but enjoyable show. Last night's episode had an unreleased Beck song called Iron Horse (previously only used in an episode of Sons of Anarchy) and it's fucking driving me crazy. I want to hear the whole God damned thing.

Frank

Frank

Breaking Bad

JEEEEEEEEEEZUS. That dinner scene is maybe the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching anything ever.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Copper: I like the setting, but I'll have to give it a couple more viewings until I decide if it gets into the full rotation on my DVR.

Gusto

Gusto

Been watching Young Justice.

Necronic

Necronic

Ugh, so Hell on Wheels is a solidly mediocre but enjoyable show. Last night's episode had an unreleased Beck song called Iron Horse (previously only used in an episode of Sons of Anarchy) and it's fucking driving me crazy. I want to hear the whole God damned thing.
I read the description for that and I immediately thought of the comic book loveless. It seems pretty similar from a superficial plot point of view.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Been watching Young Justice.
That has been a pretty fun show, and not a bad follow from Green Lantern.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That has been a pretty fun show, and not a bad follow from Green Lantern.
Young Justice is the best of the current crop of Super Hero Cartoons that I've been watching.

Frank

Frank

I liked Avengers better. Young Justice glosses over shit so often to be kind of infuriating.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But how many times in one season can the Avengers be kidnapped and replaced in one season..?

That and some of the costumes in Marvel are pretty cruddy looking. At least when YJ uses a stupid villain, SportsMaster, at least they give him a decent (more modern) uniform. Instead of him running around like "Casey at the Bat"