[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Bail out after season 5. There are a total of 3 episodes that aren't trash in season 6, and season 7 is about on par with season 4.

Dude, Season 4 was awesome. :(
It's okay. I break down Buffy in the following:

Great: 2, 3, 5
Okay: 1, 4, 7
Utter Shit: 6

It's clearly a victim of them trying to figure out the show after High School. In a certain way it really follows its overarching theme pretty well, even if it results in a season that's all over the place. I don't think it was terrible, but it was book ended by two great seasons that really had things figured out, which might be it's biggest sin.

I would even put 6 in the "okay" category. I liked the stuff with Buffy trying to figure out what the hell to do with her life. She was broken from everything going on and fell into the arms of someone she didn't love, but was there for her while she was broken. You had the great storyarc with Willow's addiction, along with the amazing finale.

Yeah, in terms of big bads, the three geeks were definitely the worst of all seasons. Well, possibly second worse because The First just kept playing peak-a-boo throughout Season 7. But in terms of character development? It was awesome. Hell, the musical alone was great not just for its content, but in character development.

I'd reverse the positions of season six and seven. The final season was just one great big clusterfuck with the actors obviously only there to pick up a paycheck.

ThatNickGuy Seeing as we have someone in the thread who is in the middle of watching it, you may want to spoiler the bulk of your last post.

I'd reverse the positions of season six and seven. The final season was just one great big clusterfuck with the actors obviously only there to pick up a paycheck.

ThatNickGuy Seeing as we have someone in the thread who is in the middle of watching it, you may want to spoiler the bulk of your last post.

Good point and done. I'm also in the boat of putting Season 7 dead last. I enjoyed 6 a hell of a lot more.

I forgot that it also suffered from the fact that Adam wasn't supposed to be the main villain of the season. It was supposed to be Buffy's teacher/head of the Initiative, but apparently Whedon found her impossible to work with so they changed things last minute. They wanted to explore how Buffy deals with a human "monster." Something they tried again in a fashion in season 6 with the worst big bads of the entire show.

Oh, Yoshimickster when you get to season 4 is when you should start Angel, which originally aired following Buffy. It's also a great show, with only a half of season of awful (the back half of season 4). It kept the attention of Whedon while Firefly was being produced (he left Buffy in season 6 for Firefly feeling that it being the oldest could be left in the hands of others) so it maintains a pretty consistent level of quality, even if season 5 is a bit ... of a departure from the rest of show.

The main problem with season six is that it would have been great if they didn't have to write around resurrecting Buffy from what was supposed to be the series finale in the last season. If it had been able to use that time to show Willow's addiction as gradual and spent some time making Xander half way interesting in the season, it would have been way better.

A few things in defense of season 6

Dark Willow- loved that whole part of the season, from her addiction to magic to Xander coming in and saving the day with the power of friendship.

The Nerds. Ye, gods, the nerds were so stupidly awesome.

Once More With Feeling
[DOUBLEPOST=1374602082][/DOUBLEPOST]
I forgot that it also suffered from the fact that Adam wasn't supposed to be the main villain of the season. It was supposed to be Buffy's teacher/head of the Initiative, but apparently Whedon found her impossible to work with so they changed things last minute. They wanted to explore how Buffy deals with a human "monster." Something they tried again in a fashion in season 6 with the worst big bads of the entire show.

Oh, Yoshimickster when you get to season 4 is when you should start Angel, which originally aired following Buffy. It's also a great show, with only a half of season of awful (the back half of season 4). It kept the attention of Whedon while Firefly was being produced (he left Buffy in season 6 for Firefly feeling that it being the oldest could be left in the hands of others) so it maintains a pretty consistent level of quality, even if season 5 is a bit ... of a departure from the rest of show.
The nerds were never meant to be the big bads, They were a fake out from the beginning so people would be kind of blindsided by Willow going dark.

Agreed. Even though Season 5 was enjoyable in terms of weekly episodes, it didn't have the same strength as the previous two seasons. I've maintained for years that Angel's season 3 and 4 were like one giant uber-season.

In regards to what you said about the big bad for Season 4, I'd never heard about that before. Not to say I don't believe you, just that I hadn't heard about it before. Do you have a link to where I could read about it?

Once More With Feeling, Tabula Rasa, and Normal Again.

Then you get things like Giles leaving despite 2 episodes before realizing that he's not holding Buffy back by staying. Buffy unable to provide for herself and Dawn despite holding the Watchers in the palm of her hand. You know those people whose job it is to help the slayer, and who she had previously forced to reinstate Giles with backpay. The rules of Magic suddenly changing in order to get a painful metaphor for drugs. Xander and Anya splitting up...for no real reason, just no one is allowed to be happy. Spike's lack of soul counts for nothing at this point in the show, continuing a frustrating trend that began in season 5, and the whole Spike Buffy relationship just doesn't work for me.

But yea Once More With Feeling is just amazing. I think it's my second favorite episode in the entire series (The Body).[DOUBLEPOST=1374603023][/DOUBLEPOST]unfortunately I got nothing for you Nick, I was told this by my friends who were big into the show when it was airing. I unfortunately discovered the show later.

I liek 'em all. Seasons 4 and 6 are my least favourite but have some of the most memorable and beloved episodes. Season 4 is my least favourite but has my first and second favourites, Hush and Restless.

The Body is simply one of the most genius episodes of any show I've ever watched. I've never watched a show that presented the subject matter as realistically or as frankly. I only have one bugaboo about the episode.
They never should have had the vampire bit at the end. It is so shoehorned in that you know someone from production insisted that there be some action in the episode. If it weren't for that one scene, the episode would be perfection itself. Anya's speech still makes me cry every single time I see it, and I've watched the entirety of Buffy at least 10 times.

Season 2 will probably always be my favorite.

All the discussion may make some of the show seem bad, but really, the worst episode of that series is better than most shows on TV.

Fun to laugh at, at best, but there are definitely a couple Buffy episodes that I grudgingly rewatch when I'm watching alone.

The Puppet Show and Swim Team come to mind.

Finished off Orange is the New Black. Loved it. If I had an issue with it it's like everyone is afraid of the word bisexual and, and this comes from personal experience, that almost all of the staff is cartoonishly evil (with only a couple of exceptions). I'm not saying that there aren't shitheads in those professions, just it's usually not everybody.

I also like how the show started by making it look like Caputo would be the biggest staff villain and as the series went on, you come to realize that, despite being flawed and generally skeezy, he's one of the only people trying to make the prison work.

I've never seen a show where I liked so much of the really huge cast. It's really remarkable how few really hateable characters there are. And almost all of those hateable characters are given just enough characterization where you can see where they're coming from (almost).

fade

Staff member
Yeah you can extrapolate that to tv depictions of any ism. Sure, we're all guilty to some degree, but according to tv, anyone who isn't a member of an in-group is a raging bigot. The best you can be is apparently a raging bigot who is cutely ignorant of your bigotry, earning you a de-bigoting makeover montage.[DOUBLEPOST=1374675790][/DOUBLEPOST]
Drunk History

Tears in my eyes laughing
One thing that stands out to me about this show is how much it must cost to produce. Every skit has a well made set and costumes.

Jesus Christ, I'm in the middle of watching the episode of DS9 where the runabout gets shrunken down. Holy shit, so dumb.

My favorite part is where they have to beam a pocket of air into an area so they can jaunt around all tiny and the danger of running out of air exists. I can't remember if they gave a reason why they couldn't just beam more air when they were running out or not. So dopey.

I'm almost finished with the series and I guess I see how people like the overall story arcs. The Dominion war is cool and all that, but it's still a pretty big meh for me.