[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I wasn't saying the other species can't, just don't. It's always half-human.

It wasn't just hinted at, they outright explained that our galaxy was seeded by the same species.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wasn't saying the other species can't, just don't. It's always half-human.

It wasn't just hinted at, they outright explained that our galaxy was seeded by the same species.
Humans seem to be one of the very few races to be egalitarian enough to not shun their half-breeds. Klingons would kill such things as abominations at birth, if not kill the mother during pregnancy. Romulans do not allow any Romulan with a "defect" to continue living, lest they pollute the species (although there have been at least two instances of the Romulans suffering half-human Romulans in their military that I can think of right off), Vulcans are part of the federation, so there are probably more than just the few half vulcans we know about running around, and they could live on any federation world/work on any federation ship. The cardassians are far too xenophobic for such a thing to happen often, the only time I can think of that it happened was when a cardassian was flung into the delta quandrant disguised among the Voyager crew, but that was obviously extenuating circumstances. The Borg is the ultimate expression of mingled genetics - your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to their own.

Oh shit, you're right, Gul Dukat had Zeyal (spelling). She was half-bajoran, half-cardassian. So there was a non-human halfbreed.

I'm watching Orange Is The New Black, the most recent Netflix original show. I'm really liking it. It's about waspy white girl going to prison. It's mostly a character drama, which I like.

Humans seem to be one of the very few races to be egalitarian enough to not shun their half-breeds. Klingons would kill such things as abominations at birth, if not kill the mother during pregnancy. Romulans do not allow any Romulan with a "defect" to continue living, lest they pollute the species (although there have been at least two instances of the Romulans suffering half-human Romulans in their military that I can think of right off), Vulcans are part of the federation, so there are probably more than just the few half vulcans we know about running around, and they could live on any federation world/work on any federation ship. The cardassians are far too xenophobic for such a thing to happen often, the only time I can think of that it happened was when a cardassian was flung into the delta quandrant disguised among the Voyager crew, but that was obviously extenuating circumstances. The Borg is the ultimate expression of mingled genetics - your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to their own.
Actually, Klingons are pretty egalitarian themselves. They can and do accept members of other races joining the Klingon empire, as long as they conduct themselves as members of the Klingon Empire would. Half-Human/Klingon children usually don't grow up IN the Empire, but they have no problems actually joining up and working in it. This isn't to say that they don't get crap for their heritage, but when has a Klingon given up a chance to give up crap to anyone?

GasBandit

Staff member
Biologically klingon hybrids aren't as physically capable as full klingons. Those that make it in the hierarchy do so only because they surpass what they would normally be capable of. Even then, though, as they go up they will still find they are outmatched - the best of the hybrids won't be able to beat the best of the full blooded klingons.
Welllllll you say that... but.. there was this episode of Enterprise that explained why there were smooth-headed klingons for a century or two...

<buzzkill>Because in general an audience will be far more willing to relate if there's a tie into humanity, rather than something completely alien. Even Data's desire for humanity it is the driving force of why he's a fan favorite.</buzzkill>

Biologically klingon hybrids aren't as physically capable as full klingons. Those that make it in the hierarchy do so only because they surpass what they would normally be capable of. Even then, though, as they go up they will still find they are outmatched - the best of the hybrids won't be able to beat the best of the full blooded klingons.
There is more than one way to achieve honor in the Empire. Many hybrids become doctors and lawyers, both very honorable professions in their own right. But you are correct in that hybrids are almost never seen at the top levels of the Empire, though whether this is due to lack of skill or simply subterfuge is left up to the viewer/reader.

I had to convince my girlfriend that squat and cough is an entirely real thing done to women during strip searches. It is.

I just finished the first season. If there is not a second one, I will be pissed.

Edit.. Just looked it up and there will be a second season.

Now we wait.

For those unsure about the show, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. I would say it is on par with Breaking Bad in terms of quality. Also, while they play up the main character and make it seem more like a comedy, it's not. There are some funny bits, bit it's mostly all about the ensemble. The show takes great care to flesh out the characters by showing some of their past through flashbacks. I found it provocative, entertaining and heartfelt. Kate Mulgrew is excellent, as are Natasha Leone and, surprisingly, Jason Biggs.

Watched the latest episode of Under the Dome...several days after I had downloaded it. I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up on the show. Its pacing is slow as hell and it's heavily concentrated on character development. Which would be fine if any of the characters or the actors portraying them were even remotely interesting.

That said, there was something at the end of this episode that has me interested enough to check it out next week. But yeah, I'm giving the show one last episode before dropping it.

Also, I've been watching the last season of Dexter more for the sake of completion than genuine interest. Unless it ends with him dead or arrested, I'll be pissed off.

Watched the latest episode of Under the Dome...several days after I had downloaded it. I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up on the show. Its pacing is slow as hell and it's heavily concentrated on character development. Which would be fine if any of the characters or the actors portraying them were even remotely interesting.

That said, there was something at the end of this episode that has me interested enough to check it out next week. But yeah, I'm giving the show one last episode before dropping it.

Also, I've been watching the last season of Dexter more for the sake of completion than genuine interest. Unless it ends with him dead or arrested, I'll be pissed off.
Spoiler
His wife comes back from the dead and they live happily ever after when they move to Unicorn-land.

Now I have to wait until next summer for the next season of Orange is the New Black
Yeah, I was surprised by this show. Given how utterly shitty Weeds got after the third season I had severe doubts about watching anything else by it's creator but this show is surprisingly good. It's not Mad Men or anything but it's a decent dramady and it hasn't even come close to Weeds "everyone on the show is an awful person you will hate and heres some gross out comedy that isn't really funny" problem.

Alright, 3rd season TNG. For 3 seasons Betazoids have been able to read Ferengi then, in one terrible episode, they establish they cannot read them and that becomes canon from then on.

Ferengi are just generally awful. Their episodes are nigh unwatchable and they make no sense. They're so comically (in the not funny way) unpleasant that it stretches any sort of suspension of disbelief that anyone would deal with them.

What I'm saying is that other than the one that has a bug up his ass about Picard and Little Green Men, they just drag down anything they're in the front and center for.

Alright, 3rd season TNG. For 3 seasons Betazoids have been able to read Ferengi then, in one terrible episode, they establish they cannot read them and that becomes canon from then on.

Ferengi are just generally awful. Their episodes are nigh unwatchable and they make no sense. They're so comically (in the not funny way) unpleasant that it stretches any sort of suspension of disbelief that anyone would deal with them.

What I'm saying is that other than the one that has a bug up his ass about Picard and Little Green Men, they just drag down anything they're in the front and center for.

That holds even for DS9? I generally liked the Ferengi characters there--although I detested them in TNG.

Quark and Rom were fine as side characters, but whenever it was a Ferengi-centric episode (usually involving Zek and Moogie), I loooooathed them. With the exception of Little Green Men, that episode worked.

I've never liked Ferengi's as central characters to any plot. Quark is okay on his own. But when it involves the antics of his family I usually have to gag a bit. Their episodes are like watching a poorly written battle of wits with nasal pitched nerds.

I loved the Ferengi centered stuff. One of the cool things about alien races in ST is that many of them have their own set of cultural beliefs and values.

Qwark is one of the best characters in DS9. There was only ONE episode of DS9 that ever centered around Moogie, because Andra Martin refused to ever reprise the role again because her claustrophobia made the makeup unbearable.

The TNG stuff, yeah, the Ferengi are awful, but I completely disagree that they were terrible in DS9.[DOUBLEPOST=1374223731][/DOUBLEPOST]Then again, you all seem to love Bashir for some reason, and I'm almost through season 5 and have yet to find anything likeable about him.

I loved the Ferengi centered stuff. One of the cool things about alien races in ST is that many of them have their own set of cultural beliefs and values.

Qwark is one of the best characters in DS9. There was only ONE episode of DS9 that ever centered around Moogie, because Andra Martin refused to ever reprise the role again because her claustrophobia made the makeup unbearable.

The TNG stuff, yeah, the Ferengi are awful, but I completely disagree that they were terrible in DS9.[DOUBLEPOST=1374223731][/DOUBLEPOST]Then again, you all seem to love Bashir for some reason, and I'm almost through season 5 and have yet to find anything likeable about him.
Yeah, you're not done DS9 yet so I won't comment on anything specific other than the later ferengi stuff gets pretty wretched.

Bashir kinda sucks, I don't mind him too much, but his episodes usually involve more O'Brien, who I dig.

I've come to the conclusion that Kira is a self centered hypocrite. She is constantly getting on her moral high horse about everyone else for doing exactly the same stuff she does. She bitches about star fleet not respecting bejoran culture, while criticizing the ferengi, Klingon and trill culture on multiple occasions. Then there are the multiple times that she rags on soldiers in other militaries for committing lesser crimes than she did herself when she was in the resistance. Worst of all, when Odo admits to not thoroughly investigating a case resulting in the deaths of 3 Bajorans, she completely forgets how he completely forgave her for actually carrying out an assassination and founding their whole friendship on a lie.