[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

So I finally caught up on Seasons 5 and 6 of Game of Thrones.

Man, Season 6 was just full of awesome. All the shit is starting to pay off and come together. And thank fuck for the writers who edited out all the boring pointless shit from the novels that never really paid off. I'm looking at you, Quentyn Martell. Victarion Greyjoy. Euron Greyjoy's brother raping past and magic dragon horn.

So I finally caught up on Seasons 5 and 6 of Game of Thrones.

Man, Season 6 was just full of awesome. All the shit is starting to pay off and come together. And thank fuck for the writers who edited out all the boring pointless shit from the novels that never really paid off. I'm looking at you, Quentyn Martell. Victarion Greyjoy. Euron Greyjoy's brother raping past and magic dragon horn.
You can't know if those were ever going to get a payoff in the later books. I mean, okay, not the past thing, but the dragon horn? More than likely somewhat important.

You can't know if those were ever going to get a payoff in the later books. I mean, okay, not the past thing, but the dragon horn? More than likely somewhat important.
Sure. Unless he dies before it ever gets deployed. It's a better, tighter story without it.

It was also interesting to see that the Night King was using a Panabas from the Philippines during his scenes. A very cool and exotic weapon choice, good job there. Benjen using a Kusarigama, well, that was just unexpected.

The Flash

Great ep but...that...that's not even CLOSE to Killg%re. Will these people stop picking names out of hats for villains of the week? Although its at least better than the DISASTER that was their Rainbow Raider.

The Orville

Wayyyy better than I expected. The pilot was a little rocky, but episodes 2 and 3 were honestly pretty good. Comparable to season 4 ST:TNG. It really feels like a spiritual successor to that series (probably because a lot of the same people are working on it) and it's interesting to see, instead of the Federation Flagship and elite crew, the average rank and file. Everyone on the Orville is actually pretty good at what they do, but they're heavily flawed people who don't fit well in a highly regimented environment. The weak link is generally Seth MacFarlane himself and that's mostly because he's a mediocre actor and the rest of the cast is generally quite good. Also, "open this jar of pickles for me" was funny once, not every goddamn time you want Halston Sage to wreck some shit.

The effects are excellent and the alien makeup effects and designs really work. The Krill in particular are impressive.

The good thing about Seth MacFarlane being involved is that a lot of people he's worked with on other things are apparently willing to guest star on the show, giving us Liam Neeson, Charlize Theron, Kelly Hu, Jeffrey Tambor, etc.

I'm really enjoying it.

Also, the running gag of Scott Grimes' character being wounded in the leg is hilarious because he had the same running gag in his recurring role as Jimmy on Republic of Doyle.

Last edited:
This is like a million times worse when you realize that the average life expectancy in the Federation, for a Human during the 24th century, was 120.
Well, to be fair, a lot of people are having quarterlife crises these days around 25, too. So besides the misnomer, it actually kinda works out? I guess?

All hail the instant gratification of binge watching!

So *cough* how about that second season of Stranger Things?!

All hail the instant gratification of binge watching!

So *cough* how about that second season of Stranger Things?!
I only made it to the beginning of Episode 8 before I forced myself to get some sleep, but I'll say this so far:

I'm loving this season, especially the casting. It's like their characters wete written to reflect their iconic 80's roles. Paul Reiser's doctor would have totally fit in with his role in Aliens, and Bob's skill set feels like a grown up Mikey from Goonies.
My only complaint is ep. 7 feels like an unnecessary detour, and while it did flesh out the character, it slowed the momentum of the season.

Dave

Staff member
I binged Stranger Things last night until 2 am. I have a few issues with it, but it's still one of the best things on TV.

fade

Staff member
I called this at the end of last season, and I still stand by it. In The Good Place my guess is
Michael is the one being offered a second chance without his knowledge, not the humans. Or at least not just the humans.

American Vandal is one of the most entertaining pieces of fiction I've watched this year. Definitely the best mockumentary I can recall watching in a while. Heartily recommended, though I will say that the first episode was easily the weakest thus far (I'm one from done).