[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

There was potential with the Randy plot to be funny but it just kinda went nowhere. There was definitely a point where I watched a ton of those house flipping shows and they do open concept every single time so I loved that.

The cartman part...I don't know what that was supposed to be, but it sure wasn't funny.

The cartman part...I don't know what that was supposed to be, but it sure wasn't funny.
Cartman thought his relationship with Heidi was abusive because she wanted it to be one where they could both be honest and open about their feelings and where each participant cares about the other. This is because he only wanted to be cared for, not have to care about Heidi, so he goes all passive like he's an abused woman when he talks to Heidi about it; to him it's a gross imposition that no one has ever asked of him before and that no one should have to deal with.

This makes his attraction to Alexa obvious: She's literally an unfeeling machine who will lavish attention on him and do anything and everything he asks of her. He wants a servant, not a girlfriend.

Cartman thought his relationship with Heidi was abusive because she wanted it to be one where they could both be honest and open about their feelings and where each participant cares about the other. This is because he only wanted to be cared for, not have to care about Heidi, so he goes all passive like he's an abused woman when he talks to Heidi about it; to him it's a gross imposition that no one has ever asked of him before and that no one should have to deal with.

This makes his attraction to Alexa obvious: She's literally an unfeeling machine who will lavish attention on him and do anything and everything he asks of her. He wants a servant, not a girlfriend.
Also, it was a way to get rid of the gf storyline.

Kinda felt as far as break up stories go it was kinda weak in all honesty.

The Good place

Holy SHIT what an ending. Its just a shame a concept so weird and out there will mean it gets cance-

SEASON TWO STARTS THIS WEEK!

...well...LIFE IS AMAZING!

fade

Staff member
Kinda felt as far as break up stories go it was kinda weak in all honesty.

The Good place

Holy SHIT what an ending. Its just a shame a concept so weird and out there will mean it gets cance-

SEASON TWO STARTS THIS WEEK!

...well...LIFE IS AMAZING!
I like the show, but I called that twist in the first episode. In fact, I think
it's either purgatory or it really is the good place, and they're being given the chance to redeem themselves. The show sort of beat it into the audience that Chidi and Tahani were not so great themselves. Especially Tahani.

Kinda, but I feel even MORE classic Cartman is being a total bitch-ass and begging Heidi back while pretending he'd kill himself for 21 minutes!

Seriously, tonight's episode was...RADICALLY better than the season premiere.

figmentPez

Staff member
Orville sucks. Hard.

Tonally awful, not knowing if it wants to be a Star Trek parody or exactly Star Trek, and making me look at Seth McFarlane's smug fucking face for that long was the last straw. He is the literal worst and needs someone to tell him to stop being in front of a camera. This shitty TV show is pure vanity.
My best friend posted about enjoying Orville, but only for the sole reason that it reminded him of a Star Trek RP he used to be a part of on AIM... Kinda confirmed for me that it's exactly what I expected it to be: a bunch of sorta sci-fi-ish stuff going on with a lot of random relationship drama, and tons of juvenile attempts at humor that's more throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks than it is any sort of cohesive writing style.

Yeah, The Orville doesn't know what it wants to be. Correction it desperately wants to be a Star Trek comedy the problem is it isn't funny.

I like the show, but I called that twist in the first episode. In fact, I think
it's either purgatory or it really is the good place, and they're being given the chance to redeem themselves.
Given the flashbacks in the season finale, that seems unlikely.

Though, I do wonder if
ultimately, it will lead to a new kind of purgatory in which middle-ish souls get the opportunity to redeem themselves.

fade

Staff member
Given the flashbacks in the season finale, that seems unlikely.

Though, I do wonder if
ultimately, it will lead to a new kind of purgatory in which middle-ish souls get the opportunity to redeem themselves.
I thought about that, but they could also be doing that thing where they're only showing us half the scene. In fact, they already did it with the flashbacks to when "good" Michael was designing the neighborhood.

Yeah, The Orville doesn't know what it wants to be. Correction it desperately wants to be a Star Trek comedy the problem is it isn't funny.
I'm still giving it a few more episodes to see what is happening with it. I look back at TNG and how (honestly) awful that first season was.

fade

Staff member
In this show's defense, I don't get the impression they're trying to be laugh out loud funny. More like semi serious with the occasional chuckle.

My wife is even enjoying The Orville, and you could say that she's pretty much hated everything else that Seth has had a hand in. I haven't told her what his other shows have been, just so she could go in with an open mind.

I feel like the Orville would be a lot better if Seth McFarlane wasn't in it. The guy is talented, he can write and sing and all that stuff, and his voice work isn't bad, but he has no personal charisma. He just kinda comes off as an asshole.

The comedy I don't mind, the rest of the cast I don't mind.

The modern pop culture references eat away at me like a termite colony in an old house and Seth McFarlane is awful. I just can't do this show.

fade

Staff member
Luke Cage

I finally got around to watching most of this. I honestly think this is the best of the Netflix series. Cottonmouth is a good villain, because he's got a relatable backstory, and he's the kind who thinks he's right. Diamondback is less so, though he matches his comic counterpart well, right down to the trick weaponry. It is impressive that they expanded 40 pages of 70s art into 13 one hour episodes. There are some key differences, though, from the comic. Burstein has been changed from a friend/sidekick to a probable future villain. No one seems to have raised a stink about Shades being whitewashed (unless I missed it). In any case, Colter has some impressive range as an actor, and is enjoyable to watch.

GasBandit

Staff member
DS9, the school bombing episode

Ahhhhh right, I'd forgotten. THAT'S why I don't much like Bajorans.

All in all though, apart from the first-couple-episode stumblings that all serieses inevitably have, Season 1 is a lot better than I remember it. I'm starting to agree with Frank, it gets a bad rap.

I just recently re-watched TNG and now i'm into a rewatch of DS9 at season 2.

On the quality scale DS9 really isn't so bad, it has a few bad episodes but on average it's actually pretty good. And it doesn't have any stinkers on the level of Code of Honor.
It actually has one of the best episodes in "Duet"

DS9, the school bombing episode

Ahhhhh right, I'd forgotten. THAT'S why I don't much like Bajorans.

All in all though, apart from the first-couple-episode stumblings that all serieses inevitably have, Season 1 is a lot better than I remember it. I'm starting to agree with Frank, it gets a bad rap.
To be fair... 9/10, if it's a "Bajorans doing awful shit" episode, Winn Adami is the fucking reason it happened.

fade

Staff member
The Defenders

I really enjoyed this. Yeah, Gao bowing down to anyone was odd, and having her in combat was weird, but overall well done. Danny remains the weakest link, but it's also clear this is not just an actor issue, but it's an in-universe issue. First time they had a group fight, I moved literally to the edge of my seat.

fade

Staff member
One plot hole bugged me, though.
How did Bakuto blow off Knight's gunshots? They'd been going on about how they were all mortal now because they were out of the substance, and Alexandra and Murakami go down to normal injuries. But Bakuto seems unfazed. I guess you could argue that he is still high on his recent dip in the substance, but it stood out.