[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Didn't they do this last Orville plot on Black Mirror?
The core concept was the same in the Black Mirror episode.

And I think the execution was far superior in that version, but then Black Mirror is a pretty high bar to reach.

But all the same I enjoyed The Orville episode.

And I finished season one, can not WAIT for season 2! Its twice as crass as modern Family Guy, but A MILLION times better! Granted...that's still not saying much-BUT STILL!

Okay, so, like, while binging on Supergirl, somewhere around halfway through Season 2 I think I truly, deeply realized what women must feel watching, like, all the rest of TV ever.

You know, where all the cool new characters getting introduced all belong to the other gender, unless they're meant to be a love interest or just eye candy. And yet Supergirl still has far more significantly substantial male characters than most every other show has significant female characters.

Also, I loved the little homage to Raimi's Hercules in the fight scene during one Kevin Sorbo's episodes.

EH-its not too late to catch up. CLIFF NOTES: The early part of "Legends of Tomorrow" is FILLED with idiocy...granted, that's how EVERY beginning to a season of Legends goes-BUT STILL!

I've now got episodes 1-8 of the first season on DVR. Looking orward to starting it, though I hope I remember what happened where - it's been ages since I've seen anything from the Arrowverse.

Dave

Staff member
I'm rewatching Stranger Things and something immediately jumped out at me: What happened to the Byer's dog?!?

So, watched the first two episodes of Legens of Tomorrow.

Err, this show does get better, right? 'Cause the first two eps were....Flat. Ok, lots of character introductions and setting-up-the-status-quo and showing relationships and all that, makes sense, sure, but... It was stiff, slow, and a lot of what happened felt...Needless? The characters come across sort of a caricature of themselves?

I dunno, I mean, I'll watch some more, definitely, but Flash or SUpergirl had me looking forward to the next episode. This, ehhh.

Also, the talk about LoT on here is split over 3 or 4 threads and that's annoying :p

LoT season one is okay but it really hits it stride in the second season. Season one is clunky due to the Hawks and the main baddie but it gets better.

Just know the BULK of each season is good, but the season premieres...will fill you with annoyance, to say the least. Just wanna punch Rip STRAIGHT in the jaw!

fade

Staff member
One thing I don't like about The Orville is that the symbolism and proxies are a bit on the nose. Like they might as well say, "we've got to stop the Mews and Juslims from fighting over Space Jerusalem".

GasBandit

Staff member
The TVTropes term for that is "Anvilicious."

[DOUBLEPOST=1510608769,1510608734][/DOUBLEPOST]
Like that one episode of the original series that was over-populated, and would rather reintroduce disease rather than use birth control!
Or that one of the original series where the people with black on one half of their face and white on the other were racist against the ones that were white on the one side and black on the other.

Or the one where the "Yangs" and "Komms" were having a proxy war between the Klingons and Federation on the planet of Indochina.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or the TNG one where "Drugs are bad, mkay"

http://stardrugs.ytmnd.com/[DOUBLEPOST=1510609475,1510609194][/DOUBLEPOST]Or the one where the space-environmentalists are upset that nobody is listening to them about the hole in the ozone layer the degradation of subspace through the use of warp drives, so one of them forces the issue by blowing himself up and causing a massive subspace tear to form, thus forcing everybody to come to terms with the issue by pulling the equivalent of suicide bombing the panama canal into permanent inoperability because obviously the ends always justify the means when you're on the side of the environment.[DOUBLEPOST=1510609804][/DOUBLEPOST]And THEN there was the one in ST:Enterprise that was basically about the stigma of Vulcan-Brain-AIDS (which naturally only happened to people who homosex mind meld, because that's a deviant practice which is bad and wrong) that was so anvilicious it even had an ad for an AIDS support website at the end of the episode. Which seemed extra kinda out-of-place given how many years behind relevance it was.

Or the TNG one where "Drugs are bad, mkay"

http://stardrugs.ytmnd.com/[DOUBLEPOST=1510609475,1510609194][/DOUBLEPOST]Or the one where the space-environmentalists are upset that nobody is listening to them about the hole in the ozone layer the degradation of subspace through the use of warp drives, so one of them forces the issue by blowing himself up and causing a massive subspace tear to form, thus forcing everybody to come to terms with the issue by pulling the equivalent of suicide bombing the panama canal into permanent inoperability because obviously the ends always justify the means when you're on the side of the environment.
Yeah that one was fucked up. Then in Voyager they mentioned, once, that they had a new style of warp engine that didn't damage subspace in that way, and that was kind of the end of that.

Yeah I deserve that, STILL I feel awkward whenever superhero stories use Native American characters. Hell, this is the FIRST one on the Flash, and its a generic "reclaiming our history" story that I've seen/read a BILLION times before. Is it fucked that the closest thing we have to a Native American character whose MORE than their culture is Jackyln White in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Whose played by someone who AIN'T Sioux? Just saying.

Huh...rewatching 30 Rock and I realized something weird...why was Jack fired from Microwaves after failing at Television? You'd think the reverse would happen. I mean yeah it works for Jack's hero's journey, but still odd.

Huh...rewatching 30 Rock and I realized something weird...why was Jack fired from Microwaves after failing at Television? You'd think the reverse would happen. I mean yeah it works for Jack's hero's journey, but still odd.
You answered your own question. "Why? Because it works for Jack's hero's journey." That's all it has to do.

Yeah I deserve that, STILL I feel awkward whenever superhero stories use Native American characters. Hell, this is the FIRST one on the Flash, and its a generic "reclaiming our history" story that I've seen/read a BILLION times before. Is it fucked that the closest thing we have to a Native American character whose MORE than their culture is Jackyln White in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Whose played by someone who AIN'T Sioux? Just saying.
Canada had a show in the 90s called North of 60 that was set in a village where all the residents were natives (Dene, specifically) along with 3 white people (a Mountie, a shopkeeper, and an alcoholic)

The show used essentially every top-tier Native American actor in North America and I wouldn't be surprised if not a single one of them was Dene.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the entire cast of North of 60 had a role in Dances with Wolves.