[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Grimm season/series finale. RRrggh. Do not click spoiler if you intend the watch the finale and haven't yet.

TIME TRAVEL.

TIME. FUCKING. TRAVEL.

REALLY?

I mean, I expected some kind of deus ex machina involving the stick, but a rewind and reset? It's now just officially a stick that can do anything. Deus ex Stick.

Felt like a crappy cop out, but not bad enough to ruin the series for me. That, taken along with other things (like Trubel showing up and being all "oh yeah, Black Claw's done, why'd we even have that arc again?") just felt like maybe season 7 hadn't been planned to be the last season when it started, but they then found out they had to wrap up all the loose ends in a hurry. I suppose it's better than getting cancelled on a cliffhanger with an unfinished main arc, like My Name Is Earl - another NBC show.
[DOUBLEPOST=1491105849,1491105789][/DOUBLEPOST]
Binging Parks & Rec for the first time. I just finished the season with the election. Nowadays it comes across like a really unsubtle parody.
Heh, it came across that way back when it aired, too :p

GasBandit

Staff member
In what way? I was more going after the whole "clearly qualified, albiet uncharismatic woman vs charismatic idiot that was born into wealth and coasted through life" thing.
Perhaps it wasn't as specific as it would seem now, but it definitely wasn't subtle back then either.

Although it differs from current politics a little in that Bobby Newport turns out to be a benign nice guy for the most part, apart from being spoiled into oblivion.

Perhaps it wasn't as specific as it would seem now, but it definitely wasn't subtle back then either.

Although it differs from current politics a little in that Bobby Newport turns out to be a benign nice guy for the most part, apart from being spoiled into oblivion.
Yeah he was more of a "small time Bush" than a Trump.

About Grimm - they had to cut a lot of plotlines because the network more or less said "This is going to be your last season and we're only ordering half as many." That being said, they wrapped it up well, and if you're going to invoke an artifact of ultimate power combined with Diana's freaky powers, why not use them to reset it to a better ending? It could have been a lot worse. It was satisfying and leaves the door open for Netflix or Amazon or someone to pick up "Grimm: The Next Generation".[DOUBLEPOST=1491109419,1491109027][/DOUBLEPOST]Going back to the Big Bang Theory laugh track: Some genius replaced it with Tidus' laugh from FFX.

It's kind of magical. It comes off as so sarcastic it's like he's heckling them.

I have watched 4 episodes of Iron Fist. This show sucks.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
I'm enjoying it, but honestly the angle I'm taking is "what if Arrow were a bit less ham-fisted?" It's not perfect, but it's decent enough for me to give it the season.

I really don't understand why folks like Luke Cage more than Iron Fist. They're both suffered from the same problems IMO: 1. No decent central villain. 2. Way, way too much side-character development. 3. Boring dialogue.

Jessica Jones had a large amount of dialogue, but it was all fascinating.

I've been watching 13 ways... on Netflix. It starts off pretty great. I think we're 3/4 through it, and it has gotten a bit tedious. They do reveal enough each episode to keep us interested. I hope it pays off in the end, and isn't a major bummer of an ending.

I really don't understand why folks like Luke Cage more than Iron Fist. They're both suffered from the same problems IMO: 1. No decent central villain. 2. Way, way too much side-character development. 3. Boring dialogue.

Jessica Jones had a large amount of dialogue, but it was all fascinating.
See I found myself pretty uninterested with Jessica Jones. Luke Cage I enjoyed, but that series had style inspired by the comics original influences. Something that Iron Fist desperately needed.

I actually found myself yelling at the TV in the third episode after the 60th time Colleen told Danny to fuck off.

"JUST FUCKING LEAVE DANNY. CHRIST, HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DOES SHE HAVE TO SAY LEEEEEEAAAAAVE."

Luke Cage I enjoyed, but that series had style inspired by the comics original influences. Something that Iron Fist desperately needed.
Luke Cage was definitely a winner in terms of style (out of all the series). The environment felt like a cast member; especially Cottonmouth's club. I also really like Colter as Cage - he's really great. I think I had really high hope for LC, and low expectations for JJ, and I got it inversed for both in terms of enjoyment. Still, I am glad they are making these shows, and I don't regret watching them.

figmentPez

Staff member
About Grimm - they had to cut a lot of plotlines because the network more or less said "This is going to be your last season and we're only ordering half as many." That being said, they wrapped it up well, and if you're going to invoke an artifact of ultimate power combined with Diana's freaky powers, why not use them to reset it to a better ending? It could have been a lot worse. It was satisfying and leaves the door open for Netflix or Amazon or someone to pick up "Grimm: The Next Generation".
For a while I was getting some real Angel vibes with the final episode, and I was coming around to that type of ending, but obviously that went out the window. Though part of me kinda likes the optimistic ending, it really didn't help that Diana was the most inconsistently written character on the show. I know she's supposed to be "creepy kid, fear me because I'm fickle" but it just did not ring true. Especially when...

Diana let her parents die? I'm not sure what the authors were going for here. Was she corrupted by the big bad? Did she know that Nick would reset the timeline, and was going along with things? It felt like a total nullification of her character to be acting like that. She should have been throwing a fucking fit that the bad guy was messing with her parents. You can't just have a creepy kid who kills for her parents to be happy just let them go with no real explanation, or even questioning.

Cosplay Melee, episode 3

Pretty good episode, extremely clear winner. Of the final three, one's costume had elements that were more or less coming undone as he did the runway to show it to the judges, one had an amazing costume from the waist up, then just had leggings and boots that looked shockingly plain by comparison, and the third was a complete head to toe ensemble with LED lights.

But there is one moment that just keeps coming back to me. One of the girls, Lisa Rosenberg (Lisa Lou Who I think?) talked about doing mashup costumes, and one they showed was, according to her, "Harley Quinn as a ballerina". And, I mean, yeah, I guess? But honestly I thought it looked more like a weird mix of Harley and Mad Moxxi from Borderlands rather than "a ballerina".

Woof i was just curious if that was the one because you were unsure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yeah I mean the more I look, the more I get it, but seeing it in 3 seconds on the show it read more "Mad Moxxi" than "Ballet Harley Quinn".

Yeah i get that. I too hardly ever get that shit. The big obe thats got my goat at the moment is the morphsuit overwatch cosplays all the pros are doing which juat screams so lazy to me.

Yeah I mean the more I look, the more I get it, but seeing it in 3 seconds on the show it read more "Mad Moxxi" than "Ballet Harley Quinn".
I think the only reason there's a Mad Moxxi comparison is because of her body shape. A curvier Harley in lace would appear very Moxxish

Yeah i get that. I too hardly ever get that shit. The big obe thats got my goat at the moment is the morphsuit overwatch cosplays all the pros are doing which juat screams so lazy to me.

I mean, yeah, it is, but at the same time, the fans eat that shit up and it's easy, so it's a good "make this and sell prints / galleries of it to support doing something more interesting" project I guess.

I mean, yeah, it is, but at the same time, the fans eat that shit up and it's easy, so it's a good "make this and sell prints / galleries of it to support doing something more interesting" project I guess.
yeah i know, but when they are charging 10-50 dollars a month to see the more interesting shit on their patreons, i just get dumb.

Agreed. That does get old.

I won't name names, but there's one semi-famous cosplayer who is constantly begging for funds and offering fairly meager rewards for it. Like, $50 a month gets you a candid polaroid from a random shoot of her choice.

She also offers to sell costuming tutorials.

Her work is nowhere near good enough to be selling how-to guides to other people. Like, her work is okay, but it's not great.

But, you know, no one has to buy that shit.

Season 3 of My Name is Earl is...kinda clearly its gas-leak year. It has WAY too many two-parters, the prison arc shouldn't have lasted so long, and Karma is seen less like a force of pure righteousness during the second half and more like a monster for what it did to Earl and Billy.

Legends season 2 eps 1 and 2:Too...many...historical...and DC canon...INACCURACIES! HOW COULD VIXEN BE A 5th DEGREE BLACK BELT?! KARATE WASN'T INTRODUCED TO THE STATES UNTIL 1946, and I'm pretty sure it came a bit later to Africa as well. And come the fuck on, STAR GIRL AND OBSIDIAN?! They're two of the most mordern age superheroes of all TIME, legacy characters even! Bad enough Obsidian didn't even TALK. Not to mention the JSA's costumes look WAY too modern for 1940s America, at the end of season 1 I logically thought Hourman was from the future, like have the Justice League first than the JSA, a neat twist! On the subject of Hourman though, WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T HE TAKE MIRACLO?! Or at least have a Teargas ring, by the fires of Apokalips that's a missed opportunity. I'ma keep watching but...these eps pissed me off a little, Vixen's bitchiness aside, and holy shit she was mean, even given Ray's idiocy in not faking a Heil Hitler. YOU'RE SPYING DUMB ASS-show some subterfuge! But on that subject, was Vixen...the black lady, the best person to send to spy in a German club? Stargirl is practically an Aryan, that would've made more sense, and a great joke oppurtunity as well! And on THAT subject, its a weirdly progressive Nazi bar for them to let not one but TWO black people in there, just dancing around, and fuck that Nazi's insult to Jax was barely anything by racist nazi standards. I can believe in an assassin resurrected by two sets of magic, I can believe in a superhero created from a physicist and a former athlete doing the fusion dance, but that is a BIT to unbelievable. And finally, I'm assuming Rip's actor asked for more money as that's the only logical reason they'd make him disappear because fuck the CW. Any other characters I like that get written out for no reason?[DOUBLEPOST=1492306337,1492305903][/DOUBLEPOST]Episode 3: HOW THE FUCK DID VIXEN GET ON THE FUCKING WAVERIDER?! Its got futuretech safeguards and shit, how could she have POSSIBLY sneaked on?!

Edit: Last two Vixen Complaints: 1, I fucking hate the skeptical superhero trope, it makes no damn sense given that she gets POWERS from a damn magic amulet. TWO-she was RAISED in Zambezie? Then...where's her accent?! That's weird right?

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
And finally, I'm assuming Rip's actor asked for more money as that's the only logical reason they'd make him disappear because fuck the CW. Any other characters I like that get written out for no reason?
You're jumping to conclusions. There's a reason. You just don't know it yet.

Dude, don't try to apply logic to Legends, you will ruin it. Just go with the insane time-bending hijicks that ensue, you'll enjoy it more that way.

If y'alls say so.

Imaginary Mary: Imagine Wilfred, but the possibly real possibly imaginary character has a MUCH higher budget, and the plotlines are way less darker and more CBS-ey. Ain't the worst thing I've seen, but its nothing I haven't seen before.

*Cricket-Cricket*

Huh, me again.

Fried

MAN-this...sure is a sitcom. Got the milquetoast male lead who wants the girl despite her not being interested and will exploit him despite knowing his feelings(Jenna from Wilfred all over again), the best friend whose simultaneously a sleezebag/advice-guru, the deceptive second in command character who'd go behind the manager's back to get ahead, the mean employee who openly curses in a place of work and SOMEHOW doesn't get fired, and the lady businesswoman manager who spews corporate strategies ALL while bringing up how her romantic partner spurned her. Its kinda funny, but haven't we all seen this before?