[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

fade

Staff member
Preacher

Wh..what? I am not all the way through the pilot, and already I'm losing interest. Who the hell are these people? Why is Tulip so weird? I guess I get that they need to pad out a limited run series to tv season length, but geez.

Also, you can always tell when someone is going to explode or get hit by a bus. The camera always goes to "explode or get hit by a bus" position.

Preacher

Wh..what? I am not all the way through the pilot, and already I'm losing interest. Who the hell are these people? Why is Tulip so weird? I guess I get that they need to pad out a limited run series to tv season length, but geez.

Also, you can always tell when someone is going to explode or get hit by a bus. The camera always goes to "explode or get hit by a bus" position.
I loved the chase in 21 Jump Street (the movie) because they kept zooming in on a potential explosion. That did not happen.

Regardless of it being a SUCK ass adaptation,AMC's Preacher is a 6 episode story stretched out to 10 episodes. For fuck's sake, it made SENSE when they'd pad out Walking Dead as the comic was still going on, Preacher has been over for a decade and a HALF, they could speed it up!

Preacher

I hated the first 4 episodes, but I felt like the last 4 seemed to get on track.

Powerless

...*SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF*-I'm willing to give this show a shot, its an interesting concept and love Alan Tudyk but....BRUCE WAYNE HAS A COUSIN?! That's...fucking confusing given Batman's classic origin stipulates after his parents death he was ALL alone. I really hope the obvious episode happens where Bruce explains why he REALLY treats his cousin like crap is because after his parents were killed, Van's parents didn't take him in.

EPISODE 2:

Okay the superhero angle is all ready feeling like a pointless affectation, and starting to feel like a poor man's "Better off Ted" only Ted is a lady and Veronica is Bruce Wayne's amoral cousin who won't stop bitching about life...as well as WANTING to live in Gotham City...how delusional IS this guy?

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Powerless

...*SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF*-I'm willing to give this show a shot, its an interesting concept and love Alan Tudyk but....BRUCE WAYNE HAS A COUSIN?! That's...fucking confusing given Batman's classic origin stipulates after his parents death he was ALL alone. I really hope the obvious episode happens where Bruce explains why he REALLY treats his cousin like crap is because after his parents were killed, Van's parents didn't take him in.

EPISODE 2:

Okay the superhero angle is all ready feeling like a pointless affectation, and starting to feel like a poor man's "Better off Ted" only Ted is a lady and Veronica is Bruce Wayne's amoral cousin who won't stop bitching about life...as well as WANTING to live in Gotham City...how delusional IS this guy?
You can google it, but the character he plays is actually canon. Pre-crisis, though, I think.

Batwoman is his cousin too, and her father is consistently in her book. It's terrible.
HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?! I mean, holy shit, you'd think he'd live with his uncle in that scenario! Easy peasy lemon squeesy! Is Batwoman's dad at least an asshole, PLEASE tell me he's an asshole.[DOUBLEPOST=1492735150,1492735032][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can google it, but the character he plays is actually canon. Pre-crisis, though, I think.
DAMMIT SILVER AGE-this is why it took until "Brave and the Bold" to adapt the GOOD parts of you, that's just ridiculous!

Edit: WAIT A DAMN MINUTE-is DC trying to ACTUALLY make me believe Bruce has MULTIPLE aunts and uncles?! I...might need to lie down. Somehow this is worse than having my phone stolen, this was something that should've stayed dead Post Crisis.

Episode 3: Where aparently Ron is from Atlantis, the Kanes exist as I thought(*INTERNAL SCREAMING*) and Van Wayne Senior is a total ass-hole....can we just cut away from the sitcom part of this universe, and get to the superhero parts of it? Sinestro fought the Flash in this world, I WANT TO SEE THAT!

Also I was really pissed off one of the Atlanteans looked....not Atlantean. Fuck, have one of them look like a fish-person like in Young Justice, how fucking CHEAP is this show?

Last edited:
Episode 3: Where aparently Ron is from Atlantis, the Kanes exist as I thought(*INTERNAL SCREAMING*) and Van Wayne Senior is a total ass-hole....can we just cut away from the sitcom part of this universe, and get to the superhero parts of it? Sinestro fought the Flash in this world, I WANT TO SEE THAT!

Also I was really pissed off one of the Atlanteans looked....not Atlantean. Fuck, have one of them look like a fish-person like in Young Justice, how fucking CHEAP is this show?
I think you're overthinking this show. It's not supposed to make canonical sense, it's a humorous (or at least tries to be) take on the lives of the civilians in a superhero world, and just happens to be in a DC setting. Bruce Wayne's purpose in this show to give Van Wayne something to be jealous about/obsess over. Ron is from Atlantis because it's absurd that an Atlantean left the ocean to work a 9 to 5 job (and everyone thought he was from Atlanta, lolz). Batman and Aquaman and the others don't really matter--except for namedropping and background decoration--because the show isn't about the superheroes.

As for Bruce's family, his parents could name whoever they want as Bruce's guardian in the event of their deaths. So they probably chose Alfred over the asshole uncle.

Also, Van Wayne was created by none other than Bill Finger. And he knows a thing or two about Batman. ;)

The problem with the Civilian in a superhero world aspect, is because it feels so forced. The R&D crew could be working on anything, soda flavors, biocomputers, microsoft updates, and it'd still be the same sitcom style plot. The superhero gadget aspect feels like SUCH a pointless affectation, the show NOT having superheroes as regular characters ironically detracts from it. THAT-and because a superhero story is more interesting than people working from the sidelines of one.

YEAH-but it still says something about how Van SR asserts himself as an important Wayne in the company despite his brother not seeing him even worthy to raise his son. I want this guy to be raked over the coals, FEEL THE PAIN OF THE INFERNO!

Eh, even geniuses have bad ideas. The character's mere existence goes against Bruce's lonely upbringing, and the fact that this extended family only existed until the Silver age kinda says something.

When it comes to DC adaptations, I will ALWAYS overthink them.
And the source material. Batwoman has been around for quite some time; this isn't a new thing.

You should probably stop watching the show though. I haven't seen even a clip of it, but because it's a joke, I can assume it's only going to get less accurate going forward, not more.

Last edited:
When it comes to DC adaptations, I will ALWAYS overthink them.
I think you over think every adaptation. I've noticed a trend that you immediately seem to hate every adaptation immediately for being different than what you perceive it should be. Just chill, it doesn't need to follow the source material. If you want something 100% accurate to the source, just consume the source instead.

I haven't seen even a clip of it, but because it's a joke, I can assume it's only going to get less accurate going forward, not more.
Yeah, the show is trying to be off-the-wall and ridiculous. It's been hit or miss, and the misses can make the ridiculousness not work, but it's been getting better. Alan Tudyk and Christina Kirk have kept me watching it, so I'll at least finish this season and give them a chance to work out the bugs. I like the premise of focusing on the regular people who have to deal with the craziness of superheroes and supervillains in their lives.

Yeah, the show is trying to be off-the-wall and ridiculous. It's been hit or miss, and the misses can make the ridiculousness not work, but it's been getting better. Alan Tudyk and Christina Kirk have kept me watching it, so I'll at least finish this season and give them a chance to work out the bugs. I like the premise of focusing on the regular people who have to deal with the craziness of superheroes and supervillains in their lives.
It being a show that happens to be in the DC universe is something I enjoy a lot more than I thought I would. Making super-hero asides is a lot more funny, and connects better when they're using established heroes instead of proxy names.

@Yoshimickster, I don't see why you have a problem with Ron. Atlantans are people too. How exactly does one look "not Atlantean"? ;)

Last edited:
Well for one they still haven't done a bit about how Atlanteans need regular moisturization(to my knowledge), plenty of ways to work that into a sitcom setting. Or maybe they have some super moisturizer, I don't fucking no, point is it should come up. Also, I still feel one of the Atlantean business people could've looked like a fish person like Topo or Lagann from Young Justice, INSTEAD four human looking mother-fuckers in normal human clothes. But hey, show's still young, maybe I'll get my fish person.

I think you over think every adaptation. I've noticed a trend that you immediately seem to hate every adaptation immediately for being different than what you perceive it should be. Just chill, it doesn't need to follow the source material. If you want something 100% accurate to the source, just consume the source instead.
Okay yeah I kinda do, with Powerless I'm giving it more leeway(although I'm still surprised we let Van Wayne resurface from Limbo) but in the case of something like Preacher where the story order gets so mish-mashed, character's personalities of certain characters are COMPLETELY re-written I shall complain.

Arrow Season 5

Well I know almost...everyone I've talked to both online and real life said this season was pointless, but as long as their isn't any obvious character regression-

Olly: I'm sorry, no-one can no my secret *neck-snap*.

...why does every first episode of a new Arrowverse season suck moldy horse ass?

I meant Arrow, I haven't watched Flash since partway through the second season.

Arrow's 3rd season opener was vomit inducing.

Supergirl season 2 episode 1

Supes implies Lois knows that he and Clark Kent are the same person...I know I can just watch old eps of "Lois and Clark" like a normal person but FUCK-do I wanna see that! Holy shit with-in 20 minutes I believe this dude more as Superman than that Snyderverse fuck!

figmentPez

Staff member
I finally started watching Powerless. I'm 3 episodes in, and thus far it feels like a blander version of Better Off Ted. The sadest part to me is that the tech on Better Off Ted would fit in better with the DC universe than what's been show so far in Powerless. I'm enjoying the show, but it's doing more to make me miss BOT than it is to make me want a second season of Powerless.

I finally started watching Powerless. I'm 3 episodes in, and thus far it feels like a blander version of Better Off Ted. The sadest part to me is that the tech on Better Off Ted would fit in better with the DC universe than what's been show so far in Powerless. I'm enjoying the show, but it's doing more to make me miss BOT than it is to make me want a second season of Powerless.
Holy crap, Jackie is Veronica , Wendy and Ron are any of the other lab assistants on BOT with names, Emily is Ted...mixed with Linda, and Teddy is Abed from Community because he was clearly typecast into this role! Seriously his nerdiness, the way he freaks out, would it kill a director to give him some range?

Also-PREEEEEEEEEEEEEETTY sure the show is cancelled. Critics kept panning it, and NBC pulled the last three eps.

MAN-Cadmus really changed since the sixties didn't it? Originally it was basically a sci-fi hippy commune that was used for good, now its almost all the time scary!

I'm kind-of confused why it took 36 minutes for Jimmy to tell off Snapper Carr, dude is the BOSS-he should not be told what to do by some angry male Cat Grant replacement. ALSO-can the Berlantiverse writers stop picking names out of a hat for characters? This is NOT Snapper Carr, Snapper Carr is a smooth talking former metahuman superhero who helps an android from the future feel human. I'm more annoyed because this character is CLEARLY not meant to be Snapper Carr, but rather than come up with AN ORIGINAL name they just pick a random name of a random DC god damn character.

Why does the Flash's version of Top feel more like Count Vertigo than Arrow's Count Vertigo...who felt more like Scarecrow later on. This fictional multiverse fucking taxes me.