[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Honestly, I have really been enjoying the batshit craziness of Legends of Tomorrow this season. It's definitely the most comic booky of the bunch. Flash has been fine this season and Arrow has gone farther downhill but still has it's moments. I am behind on Supergirl.

Also started watching Legion and I am really digging it. They are doing a really cool take on David Hallier and love the retro look to it all.

But seriously if you aren't watching The Expanse you are missing out. You can watch the whole first season if you have Amazon Prime. The second season has been even better.

fade

Staff member
Fair enough... Though, iZombie isn't part of the Arrowverse (and is further removed from its comic origins besides.)
"Further removed" as in "the characters have some of the same names (but, uh, not the protagonist) and there are zombies involved"

Much better looking costume.

I've been watching Halt and Catch Fire season 3 on Netflix. Only 3 episodes in and I'm liking it more than season 2 so far. The characters moved from Texas to the Bay area at the end of last season, and I think it's helped give the show some new life.

Cosplay Melee on SyFy is the show Heroes of Cosplay should have been. It's a competition between 4 cosplayers (all of the 4 in the first episode, I've seen in various galleries including here) with a minor challenge, then a full character, based on a theme. 8 hours for the first competition, 2 days for the full costume. The judges are a famous cosplay model, a professional costumer and prop maker (including the JJ Abrams Trek movies), and Yvette Nicole Brown from Community. $10,000 prize for the episode winner.

Cosplay Melee on SyFy is the show Heroes of Cosplay should have been. It's a competition between 4 cosplayers (all of the 4 in the first episode, I've seen in various galleries including here) with a minor challenge, then a full character, based on a theme. 8 hours for the first competition, 2 days for the full costume. The judges are a famous cosplay model, a professional costumer and prop maker (including the JJ Abrams Trek movies), and Yvette Nicole Brown from Community. $10,000 prize for the episode winner.
We watched the first? episode this week (in a hotel in Austin, not sure if first) and really enjoyed it, the guy that did the Star Wars costume (Xavier was his name) really nailed the thing. It was a fun show to watch.

We watched the first? episode this week (in a hotel in Austin, not sure if first) and really enjoyed it, the guy that did the Star Wars costume (Xavier was his name) really nailed the thing. It was a fun show to watch.
Yeah it was the first episode. Xavier's work was incredible. It would fit right in with the gear my characters wear in SWTOR - he absolutely captured the aesthetic. I would totally see his character appearing in SWTOR, or Rebels, or one of the stand-alone Star Wars movies.

The first contestant eliminated was the obvious choice - not only did she do by far the least involved piece, but it was also the most generic. Yes, it could have been from Chronicles of Riddick. Or Skyrim. Or Wonder Woman. Or Lord of the Rings. Or Marvel's Asgard.

To me, the "star trek" character didn't look like something out of Trek at all - he looked more like a rogue Ultramarine or Alpha Legion character.

Yeah it was the first episode. Xavier's work was incredible. It would fit right in with the gear my characters wear in SWTOR - he absolutely captured the aesthetic. I would totally see his character appearing in SWTOR, or Rebels, or one of the stand-alone Star Wars movies.

The first contestant eliminated was the obvious choice - not only did she do by far the least involved piece, but it was also the most generic. Yes, it could have been from Chronicles of Riddick. Or Skyrim. Or Wonder Woman. Or Lord of the Rings. Or Marvel's Asgard.

To me, the "star trek" character didn't look like something out of Trek at all - he looked more like a rogue Ultramarine or Alpha Legion character.
So then new star trek

My wife is cool, because my comment when we saw his costume my comment was "A wild WarHammer appears!" She laughed. I think that he missed Trek completely.[DOUBLEPOST=1490358923,1490358886][/DOUBLEPOST]But to clarify, miles and miles and miles beyond anything I'm capable of doing.

Dave

Staff member
I'm liking The Expanse less and less each time I watch it. They are so fundamentally changing the characters that they are almost unrecognizable. And putting in false drama between crewmembers that are just plain made up. It's kind of infuriating to be waiting for great scenes and then have them completely changed for no real reason.

I'm liking The Expanse less and less each time I watch it. They are so fundamentally changing the characters that they are almost unrecognizable. And putting in false drama between crewmembers that are just plain made up. It's kind of infuriating to be waiting for great scenes and then have them completely changed for no real reason.
Having not read past the first book of the series I am still loving it as is my wife who hasn't read any of the books.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, uh, next week is the final episode of Grimm. Shit's hit the fan. The Zerstörer basically wiped out the police precinct in moments, is completely immune to bullets, and main cast are starting to die.

fade

Staff member
So, uh, next week is the final episode of Grimm. Shit's hit the fan. The Zerstörer basically wiped out the police precinct in moments, is completely immune to bullets, and main cast are starting to die.

gif
You know, this is a trope I'd like to see less of. Just once, I want a badass to appear, complete with cape and spikey shoulders and headdress, only to be taken down by some fat beat cop with one shot.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, this is a trope I'd like to see less of. Just once, I want a badass to appear, complete with cape and spikey shoulders and headdress, only to be taken down by some fat beat cop with one shot.
While I can commiserate, I don't think that will happen in a season finale for a show that's been running 7 seasons. :p

Also, really, the major upheaval here is not how strong and dangerous the Zerstorer is, but rather that now it will be all but impossible to hide from the normal human population that there are monsters living among them in disguise.

Upon further reflection, though, the manner of death for those that died last episode leads me to believe the first thing that will happen will be Nick using his stick to bring them back to life. Which will kinda be a cop-out (no pun intended).

gif
Looks like Nick made some poor choices and is on the Bad Ending path. Next playthrough he should use a walkthrough to get the Good Ending. Or even the secret Harem Ending.

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks like Nick made some poor choices and is on the Bad Ending path. Next playthrough he should use a walkthrough to get the Good Ending. Or even the secret Harem Ending.
On the one hand, I definitely think he should have listened to his Aunt and broken up with Juliette when he learned what he was.

But on the other hand, I also still can't accept that Nickalind (Adanick?) is a real thing. It feels so forced.

On the one hand, I definitely think he should have listened to his Aunt and broken up with Juliette when he learned what he was.

But on the other hand, I also still can't accept that Nickalind (Adanick?) is a real thing. It feels so forced.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but how do you fall in love with someone that repeatedly tried to kill you, your aunt, your best friends, your girlfriend, and who effectively raped you (rape via fraud/deception), and was ultimately responsible for your girlfriend's (albiet temporary) death?

Which is too bad because I like the actress who plays Adelind and when she wasn't a hexenbeast she was somewhat sympathetic, but there's just too much negative history.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I'm sorry, but how do you fall in love with someone that repeatedly tried to kill you, your aunt, your best friends, your girlfriend, and who effectively raped you (rape via fraud/deception), and was ultimately responsible for your girlfriend's (albiet temporary) death?

Which is too bad because I like the actress who plays Adelind and when she wasn't a hexenbeast she was somewhat sympathetic, but there's just too much negative history.
Most of my respect for the Adelind character got pretty much burned away when the writers had her spend two seasons basically doing nothing but running back and forth shrieking "My baby! My baby!"

The Flash Ep. 03x19

So we saw the debut of classic Flash villain Abra Kadabra. I always liked this villain, so I was excited for his debut.

However, for those that watched the episode, anyone notice the absence of HR? There's been a running fan theory that HR IS Kadabra. This was long before the Kadabra character was even announced, mind you. And the theory was largely around one of HR's many anachronisms: waving around a single drumstick...like a wand. It's such an odd character tick. But the fact that he wasn't in this episode at all feels...very strange to me.

Then you add in the fact that he's from the exact same Earth as Gypsy? Plus, if he's from another Earth, why did he know so much about Barry and Savitar? Like, every detail.

For me, this episode only cements the theory that HR is Kadabra.

That said, the action in this episode KICKED ASS.

EDIT:
Just reached the end of the episode and HR shows up at the VERY end, with everyone asking where he's been. Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting!

Last edited:
The Flash Ep. 03x19

So we saw the debut of classic Flash villain Abra Kadabra. I always liked this villain, so I was excited for his debut.

However, for those that watched the episode, anyone notice the absence of HR? There's been a running fan theory that HR IS Kadabra. This was long before the Kadabra character was even announced, mind you. And the theory was largely around one of HR's many anachronisms: waving around a single drumstick...like a wand. It's such an odd character tick. But the fact that he wasn't in this episode at all feels...very strange to me.

Then you add in the fact that he's from the exact same Earth as Gypsy? Plus, if he's from another Earth, why did he know so much about Barry and Savitar? Like, every detail.

For me, this episode only cements the theory that HR is Kadabra.

That said, the action in this episode KICKED ASS.

EDIT:
Just reached the end of the episode and HR shows up at the VERY end, with everyone asking where he's been. Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting!
Now that would actually be a less expected twist.

Top Gear is so much better without Chris Evans.

I like Matt, Rory, and Chris Harris. They work together well and they all do solid car reviews. Without shouting.

I know you mean that bespectacled used Q-tip in the shape of an irritating man, but every time someone talks about that, I still have to remind myself you don't mean Captain America.
I still cannot believe that ginger git married Billie Piper.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still cannot believe that ginger git married Billie Piper.
Celebrities are not known for their wise choice of spouses.

That said, I've always thought that when Billie Piper smiles, it looks like someone tried to decapitate her with a shovel and missed her neck by a couple inches.

The second episode of Cosplay Melee was not as good as the first. Two of the four contestants basically came up with concepts that didn't fit the week's given theme, which was Game Of Thrones. Game of Thrones is low fantasy medieval. So one contestant made a "transforming crocodile sword" that was more like a crappy weapon from FF13, and the other decided that since she likes playing an elf, her character would be an elf, even though there ARE NO FUCKING ELVES IN GAME OF THRONES. The Children Of The Forest are the closest and they're dryad or puck-like, rather than High Elf, which is what she chose to go with.