[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Seriously, it WOULD be nice if an established couple didn't break up in between seasons, and then one of them start dating Lagoon Boy....he is awful.
Yeah but it's okay because the overarching story they were dealing with galaxy wide implications will pause for everyone and pick right back up 5 years later.

Pitch is turning into a pretty good story about a baseball team. There's still some dumb " we don't want to lose our MLB partnership and cooperation" moments, but they're spacing it out as the show becomes more of an ensemble cast.

So I binged out Channel Zero: Candle Cove with my friend who loves horror and creepy pastas. It was ok. I don't think it quite nailed how unsettling it wanted to be after the first episode. But it was a good attempt at a genuine horror tv show.

I think my main beef is that:

They went out of their way to explain everything except for why the kid was so obsessed with teeth. It seemed like the teeth thing had no bearing on anything in the show.

She dug it though, so it was a good time.

So I binged out Channel Zero: Candle Cove with my friend who loves horror and creepy pastas. It was ok. I don't think it quite nailed how unsettling it wanted to be after the first episode. But it was a good attempt at a genuine horror tv show.

I think my main beef is that:

They went out of their way to explain everything except for why the kid was so obsessed with teeth. It seemed like the teeth thing had no bearing on anything in the show.

She dug it though, so it was a good time.
I always took the teeth thing as an innocence thing, with the loss of baby teeth as "tolls" to acquire that power. It would also explain why the adults never saw the show (they didn't have any innocence for the kid to mess with). Except then they revealed that it was the kid all along, which basically destroyed whatever symbolic meaning the teeth ever had.

*shrug*

It was alright. Everything up to the last episode was pretty great, but the reveal sucked.

Me before watching Jessica Jones: MAN-after something THAT gritty I don't expect the next Marvel Netflix show to get even darker!

One watching of one episode later:....holy shit.

Watched the first episode of BBC America's Dirk Gently series today (DVR'd it). And it was really good. Very confusing so far, but that is intentional. Then watched the second episode that aired tonight and a few things were answered, but not nearly enough. Continued being good as well. Really want to see the rest of it. Highly recommended for fans of Douglas Adams' book series.
I just bought the season pass to watch this and HOLY SHIT, It's crazy. I'm loving the hell out of it. Totally fun and weird as hell.

I just bought the season pass to watch this and HOLY SHIT, It's crazy. I'm loving the hell out of it. Totally fun and weird as hell.
The whole thing is on Netflix in Canada, and I started it thinking "This might be okay," and ended up staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching all of it. It's outstanding.

The whole thing is on Netflix in Canada, and I started it thinking "This might be okay," and ended up staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching all of it. It's outstanding.
I wish I could watch more, but my wife is like "Oh, hell no, ONE episode and I'm wore out". I just can't wait until tomorrow's snow day. Hopefully we can get a few episodes in.

So after finishing my Friends re-watch, I decided to re-watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As I thought before, I thought the first season was fine but mostly skippable (except for the premiere, Angel, and the finale). It was clear they were still finding their feet and figuring out how this show and its characters work. I actually thought more episodes were vampire-related, but there was more monster-of-the-week stuff than I remembered. The hyena episode was fun for what it was.

Second season, though, they're clearly finding their footing. Especially when Spike shows up. Marsters is a huge shot in the arm for the show. He owns every scene he's in and has instant chemistry with EVERYONE. It's extraordinary and no surprise the writers decided not to kill him off as planned in the mid-season 2-parter.

"From now on...we're gonna have a little less ritual...and a little more FUN around here!"

So after finishing my Friends re-watch, I decided to re-watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As I thought before, I thought the first season was fine but mostly skippable (except for the premiere, Angel, and the finale). It was clear they were still finding their feet and figuring out how this show and its characters work. I actually thought more episodes were vampire-related, but there was more monster-of-the-week stuff than I remembered. The hyena episode was fun for what it was.

Second season, though, they're clearly finding their footing. Especially when Spike shows up. Marsters is a huge shot in the arm for the show. He owns every scene he's in and has instant chemistry with EVERYONE. It's extraordinary and no surprise the writers decided not to kill him off as planned in the mid-season 2-parter.

"From now on...we're gonna have a little less ritual...and a little more FUN around here!"
He's from my area. Him, Jeremy Renner, and Timothy Olyphant of "Justified" fame all grew up in Modesto. Besides Star Wars, a few of the good things to come from here.

GasBandit

Staff member
Only a week until Grimm starts up again!

I'm grumpy, though...

Because it's 13 episodes instead of the usual 22, and because it's the final season.

Well, I guess better to end after 6 seasons than stretch it out into infinity while running out of ideas, like so many other shows have done.

We're still working our way through the DVD edition of Babylon 5. We usually manage to get through a couple of episodes each session.
Last night's included "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari."
First aired almost 19 years ago, but still powerful.
Cranky was away for a couple months, so we put B5 on hold until his return last night. Last night's episode was Day of the Dead, and the show continues to play with our attachment to the characters.
"It's some guys' fantasy: A love-hungry redhead who'll disappear in the morning, never to be seen again."
Uf.

--Patrick

Just caught up on Dirk Gently. What a fucking weird, wonderful show. It's complicated without being incoherent - there are a lot of different storylines that cross, parallel, and twist around each other. Everything is connected. Yet, for all that, it's not difficult to follow along and every story is told well.

Holy shit the last 5 minutes of season 1 though.

Also:

People of Earth. Hilarious, touching, extremely well-written and acted. Who knew that a show about a support group for alien abductees experience-ers could be so great?

It seems at first like "we prefer to be called experience-ers" is kind of a riff on tumblr / people being overly sensitive about how they're referred to, but the show actually handles it well and shows how terminology matters. "Abductee" immediately confers a sense of victimhood - something terribly has been done to you; "Experience-er" is more neutral - you're someone who's had an extraordinary experience, whether positive or negative.

Last edited:
It's complicated without being incoherent - there are a lot of different storylines that cross, parallel, and twist around each other. Everything is connected. Yet, for all that, it's not difficult to follow along and every story is told well.
The Difference Between Douglas Adams And JJ Abrams In 40 Words Or Less.

Foursome season one episode 1 on Youtube Red.

Oh my Satan...this was awful. Its a slew of high school TV show cliches, mixed in with swearing and sex to make you think its edgey!

ON-that note, what's good on Youtube Red, got the one-month trial and feel like absorbing more media like the sponge I am.

Foursome season one episode 1 on Youtube Red.

Oh my Satan...this was awful. Its a slew of high school TV show cliches, mixed in with swearing and sex to make you think its edgey!

ON-that note, what's good on Youtube Red, got the one-month trial and feel like absorbing more media like the sponge I am.
...You got a Redtube trial? Man, I never understood people paying for that stuff.

I pay for youtube red, because it means no ads on youtube and comes with the other suite of google services (like google music, which I use a lot). I've never watched a single youtube red exclusive, though.

And judging by the exclusives ON Red...no ads seems like the best thing with this deal. I mean I gave that Foursome show the pilot benefit of the doubt, but the second ep was just as freaking weak.

GasBandit

Staff member
A few nights ago I started watching Westworld.

It's pretty good, but th͈̫͉̗̟̗͉e͍͛s̹͔̟ͩě͖̐̎͗̚ ̩ͤ̋̽̽̔v͙i̪̥̖̝̦̲̬̍͊ͥ̈́o̘̜̘̣͖͈̺ͩ͐̓ͩ̉̄͊l̪̠͓͔̟͕ĕ̺͈̳̯ͨ̆͒̏n̫͍̭͚̪̊̃t̬̰̫͔͋̓̂ ̟̥͙ͣͬ̈́ͅd̥̫̏͂̈e͓͖̳ͦ͊̄̑l̟̻̯̦͕̊̑i̭̣͒ͫ͂̓̓̋g̱̦̞̲̊͗h̫͎̪ͬ̊̈̌̋̂̋t̫̫̥͉͈s̻̭̘̓̒͗̌ ̘͙̙̹͈̞̟͑̄̾h̙̹͚̗̗͈̀̈́a͈̱̫̟v̎͑̋e͎͈͖̦̭͎ͪ̂ͅ ̞͈ͨ͌̇̎v͍̖ͯͬͩ̍ͮͩì̘̖͈͖͌ͩ̐̾ͫo̤̬̽̓ͥͦͨ̌̿l̬̣̠̘̃ͭ̿̅͒̏ë́̋͑͊̓ͤ̉n͕͖̖͎̭̩̩̽ͫ͂̆t̥̱̱̮͒͋ͪ͑ͧͯ ͎͔̱̤̝̮͙ͪ̌͑͆̈̚ë͉̫̩̤̯̟̹́̌͋͌̈́ͮ͌n͓̈́̊d̺̻̤͖̻ͮͬ̍͂̀̉s̭̗̱ͣ̂̿͌ͮ̇̓.̗͇ͦ͗̉ͪ̃͐