[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

New Earth/Animated Mr. Freeze, coldhearted personality and weird obsession with freezing by which I mean(first ep, never once did Snart specify why he needed cold weaponry). From what I've seen and read, Captain Cold was oddly enough a hot-blooded villain prone to anger and passion, as well as someone who'd stave from murder unless he needed to.....unlike the CW show where he killed a mofo in his first outing.

Actually, Captain Cold should've come later after the Flash was more public knowledge, that way him happening to choose the perfect stolen weapon to combat him would make ALL the sense.
Except he did want a cold gun to slow down the Flash. It's said in his debut episode. I don't know how far you are in The Flash or if you've watched Legends of Tomorrow where Captain Cold is part of the main team, but he doesn't have the personality you're describing. His speech is monotone, but it's pretty clear what he enjoys and what pisses him off. The killing thing is different from the comics, but they get there in the show. In fact, most of your complaints are things developed into.

Remember Daredevil season 1? Think of it like him and the costume; he didn't have it most of the season, but eventually the show got there. Same with The Flash.

So it gets better is what you're saying, good to know. Also my complaint about the cold gun is that it seemed more about theme than any rational decision to defeat him, where as his origin he researched probable ways of defeating the Flash before sticking to a cold theme, he didn't give a shit about ice before villainy he just went with what worked. I mean HOW would CW Snart know a freeze ray would stop him, at that point in the series the Flash was pretty much an urban legend, with no scientific data describing what could harm him. ALSO-its REALLY convenient that Cisco was running on Batman logic in that he created a ray that could possibly defeat Flash, OTHERWISE he'd be screwed. Somehow, him accidentally creating a freeze-ray from stray cyclotronic rays feels more believable.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Grimm is just too good at the "holy shit what the fuck" Cliffhangers. It's starting to feel like a daytime soap, only not inane.

We finish the Night Manager, Bosch, and Goliath recently. Bosch was great. Goliath started nice, but fizzled out. Night Manager was a bit much. Had to suspend my disbelief too many times. We couldn't finish the first episode of Sneaky Pete. What a terrible mess. I'd expect that caliber of show from ABC or Fox.

The Flash

Okay I know Rainbow Raider is a classic Flash rogue but...that was even worse an adaptation than their Captain Cold. He felt more like Psycho Pirate or Scarecrow than Roy G.Bivalo, yeah they SAID his powers were light based, but it was pretty much purely about emotion, plus if I wasn't a fan of the character those black and white paintings would just be pointless background to me, I'd have NO idea who this guy ways. CLEH-maybe they'll go more into it, and It was an enjoyable cross-over none the less.

I just looked up the original Yao Fei from DC comics, holy SHIT did they take a leap with him in Arrow. He had magical doctor powers in the comics, in this he's a bad-ass archer! A bit of a leap I'm just saying, bit of a leap.

I guess, still odd though. Still better than Roy G.Bivalo on The Flash I'd say, that guy just screamed "bare minimum" when they showed his black and white paintings in his apartment. Him being called the Rainbow Raider doesn't even make sense in this ep, he only used the color red! Also I'm able to take Yao Fei's so much, because they changed the character SO radically that he's his own guy. With Roy, they TOLD me he was a light based villain but...it looked more like just rage vision, it didn't work for me.

Digging Captain Cold now though, STILL don't care for him just buying the cold gun though. "How would a high school drop out make a cold gun?" By learning stuff on his god damned own dammit, quit pushing your education agenda on me!

The Flash again

"I need something pretty and toxic...something with gold."

...or you...could just... NOT have a theme weapon and not waste your team's collective time! Dear lord, what is it with super villains and theme obsession? Old gripe about the super hero medium as a whole, but still.

ALSO-it is a plothole that Leonard and Mick couldn't make a new guns by themselves? He figured that thing inside and out, plus I'm assuming the materials he got Cisco were from his new connections as...don of Keystone city, that is SO weird. I mean they SAY Captain Cold is a high school drop-out, but as the show has shown he's basically a genius. I can deal with thos, but it feels like Cisco and his jack-ass brother's kidnapping were only meant to happen to teach Barry about the consequences of tampering with space time.

...so...many...conflicting...feelings about CW Flash's Trickster. ON the one hand, the original Trickster was pretty much just a thief and not a psycho-murderer, on the other hand, its Mark Hammil basically playing a DC Hannibal Lecter....these conflicting feelings oddly enough make me love this show more.

ON THE SUBJECT OF MARK HAMMIL TRICKSTER-how good was that 1990s Flash series? I'ma watch it anyway, just wanted to know.

Supergirl ep 1

FUCKING UGH-how many times are CW shows going to make me suffer through a scene where someone tells the superhero/ine to not save the day EVEN THOUGH-they are great at saving the day. I've heard good things about this show, I'm down, but I'm fucking sick of this scene.

EDIT: Oh sweet Satan Howard was right, that dumb ass scene where Kara is incapacitated by Kryptonite tranq-darts was stuuuuuuuuupid! This is "Batman Superman" stupid,when Wonder Woman and the Amazons attacked Supergirl because she was a PERCEIVED threat, not because she IS one. For fuck's sake, WHY do we keep letting super stories start this way?

Last edited:
If you're going to watch Supergirl, you've got immense garbage to sit through before it gets good. The upshot is that if you make it through episode 1, you've already seen the worst episode.

Cool, ALSO on 4th season of Arrow and am pretty sure they just picked the name Damian Darhk because it was an awesome villain name...that was wasted on what I'm reading was a boring villain from Titans. On that subject, how WAS the first volume of "Titans"? I know it went down the crap factory in volume 2, but was the first volume good? All I know is that they once battled a demonically empowered former rock star named "Goth" which sounds like either the dumbest thing ever, or the greatest thing ever.

@Yoshimickster , since you're working your way through the CW comic shows, are you including iZombie in your viewing? It's not part of the Arrowverse, and it varies from its source material more than the others, but it's a really strong show.

On the Flash, Henry Allen leaving for Barry's sake is fucking stupid and we all know it. What was the real reason, was Henry's actor just expensive or was CW just cheap?[DOUBLEPOST=1486142672,1486142570][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Yoshimickster , since you're working your way through the CW comic shows, are you including iZombie in your viewing? It's not part of the Arrowverse, and it varies from its source material more than the others, but it's a really strong show.
I wasn't, but I'll keep it in mind, thank you.

Is it cool that I'm PRETTY mad about Anarky in Arrow? Maybe if they made him the Ulyses version, as from what I've read he's more about corrupting concepts and identities that weren't originally his, such as how making Anarky a psychotic sadist is the opposite of the original character who represented the actual political side of anarchy. Its almost as bad as the version from "Beware the Batman" who was basically the Joker, DESPITE Murakami making a HUGE deal about "not writing another Joker story". ATTENTION ANY FUTURE BATMANIMATED SERIES WRITERS WHO ARE SPYING ON ME BECAUSE MY EGO SAYS I'M IMPORTANT-you will not get away without bringing in the Joker at some point, eventually you'll have to, or have an obvious analog to him.

fade

Staff member
This is my short synopsis of Arrow:

Season 1: Wow! Neato
Season 2: This is okay, it can still work
Season 3+: meh