[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I personally don't really have much of a problem with it, but movies are the way they are because of the people who made them. Sure on paper, Leia is in that bikini because Jabba wants her as a sexy trophy, but the reason Jabba wants her as a sexy trophy probably had a lot to do with the writers wanting to have Carrie Fisher in a skimpy bikini during the film.

GasBandit

Staff member
I personally don't really have much of a problem with it, but movies are the way they are because of the people who made them. Sure on paper, Leia is in that bikini because Jabba wants her as a sexy trophy, but the reason Jabba wants her as a sexy trophy probably had a lot to do with the writers wanting to have Carrie Fisher in a skimpy bikini during the film.
Like Dei said, it was 1983, and women were decorations.

Remember the old "George Lucas told Carrie Fisher that there is no underwear in space" bit, too.

Like Dei said, it was 1983, and women were decorations.
I get that. I'm just saying "this isn't sexist because of plot reasons" doesn't work when the plot reasons can be made up to justify stuff. A better recent example is "this hot female soldier wears super-skimpy clothing because she's actually an alien that breathes through her skin, which in no way effects the plot other than explaining why she wears such little clothing" from that video game that I'm too lazy to look up.

GasBandit

Staff member
I get that. I'm just saying "this isn't sexist because of plot reasons" doesn't work when the plot reasons can be made up to justify stuff. A better recent example is "this hot female soldier wears super-skimpy clothing because she's actually an alien that breathes through her skin, which in no way effects the plot other than explaining why she wears such little clothing" from that video game that I'm too lazy to look up.
Metal Gear 5. It was kind of a big deal. But yeah, that's Kojima being a creepy shit, which he has demonstrated that he is, often and repeatedly.

But the difference is, Jabba is a bad guy, the objectification is portrayed as evidence of his badguyness, and thus is in the proper context. Now, if Leia had chosen to KEEP WEARING the gold bikini after her rescue, I might have a finger to raise and a throat to clear in concern.

Metal Gear 5. It was kind of a big deal. But yeah, that's Kojima being a creepy shit, which he has demonstrated that he is, often and repeatedly.

But the difference is, Jabba is a bad guy, the objectification is portrayed as evidence of his badguyness, and thus is in the proper context. Now, if Leia had chosen to KEEP WEARING the gold bikini after her rescue, I might have a finger to raise and a throat to clear in concern.
No one believes you'd be concerned.

Oh, I get that. But you can't convince me the prospect of putting Carrie Fisher in that outfit had nothing to do with the writing process.

GasBandit

Staff member
No one believes you'd be concerned.
Well, 4 year old me probably wouldn't have noticed, TBH. But in debating a movie's "problematic" factor 34 years later is a little different :p[DOUBLEPOST=1513813868,1513813829][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, I get that. But you can't convince me the prospect of putting Carrie Fisher in that outfit had nothing to do with the writing process.
Then why didn't they find an excuse to do it in the first or second movie? Why wait until the third?

Well, 4 year old me probably wouldn't have noticed, TBH. But in debating a movie's "problematic" factor 34 years later is a little different :p[DOUBLEPOST=1513813868,1513813829][/DOUBLEPOST]
Then why didn't they find an excuse to do it in the first or second movie? Why wait until the third?
I feel like you are @PatrThom 'ing me now.[DOUBLEPOST=1513813938][/DOUBLEPOST]
No Underwear in Space so we can see Leia's nipples. They probably also got bolder by the 3rd movie.

I'm still trying to decide if "Think of the children!!!!" would have applied to this situation in the early 80s.

GasBandit

Staff member
"It is a piece we penned ourselves, entitled The Bloody Murder of the Foul Prince Romero and His Enormously-Bosomed Wife. I assure you, the violence of the murder and the vastness of the bosom are entirely justified, artistically."

I'm sorry, I got to "Rey in a gold bikini in Episode 9" and now my brain can't process any more information, because all of its cycles are being dedicated to this mental image.

Hey, I said this already in the other thread, but if the new trilogy is going to follow the patterns of the old ones, then it's going to be either Poe or Finn in the gold bikini.

Or both.

Huh. I meant for my post to rile up Halforums.

But I thought it was gonna be from calling the green skinned Star Wars character an Orion.

Normally we don't go to the movies if we have work today, but our theater was only going to be showing The Shape of Water these few days, so we had to take the opportunity.

Absolutely worth it. It's unconventional, methodical, unsettling, sweet, moving. Doug Jones must've gone through more prosthetic hell for this role than even Abe Sapien. Sally Hawkins as Elisa had a serene atmosphere to her for much of the movie, which could break at any moment when she's ready to strangle the world to be as silent as her she is so that maybe it could understand where she's coming from. Really loved this, and hopefully Guillermo del Toro and the rest of the people behind it get some kind of recognition.