Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I don't think that I had used a septic system much before we built our place. Our builder let us know that very little can go down through it.

Thank goodness right, because he skimped so badly on the pump?

Did you know that even soap vs body makes a difference?

Most septic tanks definitely have a hard time dealing with a body.
It can take years to process. The livers are great though for keeping the field fresh though!

I had meant to type body wash though.

The liver part is true though. My uncle swears by it and flushes chopped liver down his toilet every so often and he hasn't had any significant issues with his system.

Needless to say, antibacterial soaps are a no-no, since septic systems rely on bacterial action.
Also the whole "feed your septic some hamburger" thing may be bunk.

--Patrick
So I studied that issue and at the time I understood that the volume of antibacterial soap to the volume of he rank meant there was no real issue.

I had just moved into a neighborhood, when the police found a fresh body in a septic tank one street over. I just signed a one year contract.
This is understood very differently if we assume you are a contract assassin and your hiding spot is discovered at the beginning of a multiple long term job.

So I studied that issue and at the time I understood that the volume of antibacterial soap to the volume of [the tank] meant there was no real issue.
Probably correct if you're running 12 people's worth through it a day, even accounting for bleach.

--Patrick

So. Let's say we have a translator who makes it a habit to turn in Google Translated documents. Because we translation editors aren't idiots, we catch him every single time, fix the machine translation so it's at least of acceptable quality, dock the translator's pay, and then tell our PMs to stop giving him cases, because he keeps handing in Google Translated work.

The PMs here in Taipei know not to give him cases. They've permanently blacklisted him from taking cases with us.

The PMs in our Shanghai branch, however, apparently didn't get the memo. Or they're so strapped for translators that they'll keep giving this guy cases. And then he plugs them into Google Translate and then mails it back. And we editors are stuck with the thankless task of editing a machine translation again.

Everyone here in Taipei, from the editors to the PMs, are pissed at the Shanghai branch for allowing this guy's shenanigans to continue. Apparently the guys in Shanghai don't see anything wrong with paying someone to use Google to translate stuff. Either that or we've been doing too good a job editing the Google Translated documents, so the people in the Shanghai branch figure that the end result is fine, so obviously there's nothing wrong with the system.

On the bright side, our head PM here in Taipei has said she's going to start rejecting all cases sent to us from Shanghai that's been translated by this guy, sight unseen. We don't even have to open up the file, if we see his name in the "translator" field, we're sending it back. Nice to know our PMs have got our back.

Last edited:
I'm torn between a hug for the idiot translator and a bro-fist for the PMs having your back... So have a nice, eco-friendly thumbs-up.

My cat. Florida, has had problems with his left ear all his life. It was first diagnosed as chlamydia (feline version) but has gotten worse to the point where we had an ear ablation done on him. The growth that they scraped out was sent away for testing and we got the results back today. He has squamous cell carcinoma. We're going to have an x-ray done tomorrow and a cytology on his lymph glands to see if the cancer has spread. His prognosis isn't good. I hate cancer.

fade

Staff member
When she was like 10, my little sister named our cat "Generic". I don't even know where she got that word from.

Roommate search is over. The mortgage payment has been missed. The question now is how long do I have to find a new place.

The hope is for the cheapest studio in the safest neighborhood I can find. Unload excess crap to raise funds for deposit and first rent. Oh, and find new homes for the cats. :(

At least my sister is working on the cat front.

For now all I want to do is go to bed. Tonight I can start gathering things to offload to Goodwill or pawn shops or Craigslist. Got extra TVs and a full stereo setup that are now surplus. Plus a whole lot of furniture that will no longer be needed.