Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Found a grand total of ONE potential apartment so far that wouldn't eat an entire paycheck and more for rent. And that one looks to not be worth bothering with because of other issues. Even if the money wasn't a problem, I've fucked my life up too much to be worth the bother.

At least I can drop my health insurance premium down to less that $3/mo with the cheapest option on the Marketplace. The current plan I have jumps from $27 to $72 per month. :(

Our pure white long-haired kitty with heterochromia was named "Tigger" by the shelter. Sometimes it's just bizarre and changing is the right thing to do. Her name is Alia.
Pud was named Linus which was unacceptable. Lulu had been Wren which was cool enough for a middle name. Cupcake had been Valentina. WTF? We named her before we even started the adoption paperwork. Strider had been Mini which is foolish. She probably ate the person who gave her that name.

I said named with love. There's a difference. Our cats were given random, possibly under the influence names at the shelter. If a person doesn't change those, I wonder if they love their pet enough to be allowed to keep them.

As if traffic isn't bad enough on Fridays, POTUS is coming here! He'll be going from Honolulu to Pearl Harbor then back to Waikiki all during rush hour on the one main highway, closing lanes and making a mess of getting my kids home from school (because God forbid they close school to avoid this bullshit).

I couldn't cancel my afternoon counseling appointments. I am so screwed.

fade

Staff member
Our kids have school off today for the world series parade. I mean it's a freaking baseball game.

Our kids have school off today for the world series parade. I mean it's a freaking baseball game.
My daughter didn't even get her field trip to city hall postponed a few years ago when the Superbowl parade was happening right there at the same time. Wtf Texas.

If the Bills or Sabres ever win a championship (lol) every single school and non-bar business is going to shut down for the parade. It's a once in a lifetime thing. I bet half the teachers will be at the parade too.

GasBandit

Staff member
My daughter didn't even get her field trip to city hall postponed a few years ago when the Superbowl parade was happening right there at the same time. Wtf Texas.
Heh, we should be glad it's just Baseball, if it were Football, I'm sure they'd close school for the whole week :p

That said, the Houston god-damned ASTROS have won the world series.

Last year, the CUBS won.

If the Mets win next year, I'm calling it - the end of the world is here.

Heh, we should be glad it's just Baseball, if it were Football, I'm sure they'd close school for the whole week :p

That said, the Houston god-damned ASTROS have won the world series.

Last year, the CUBS won.

If the Mets win next year, I'm calling it - the end of the world is here.
No, we still need the Mariners and Padres to win it before we can worry about the end of the world.

I'm hoping to go into the office and find that they all called to reschedule. Then I'm going to pick the kids up early and go to the other side of the island!
One no show and the other returned my call! YES! Although the secretary at my son's school gave me an attitude for picking him up early without a note. "For future reference, that isn't how we do things." Yeah yeah...in the future I'll break out my crystal ball so I'll know if I can get out of my internship early.

GasBandit

Staff member
One no show and the other returned my call! YES! Although the secretary at my son's school gave me an attitude for picking him up early without a note. "For future reference, that isn't how we do things." Yeah yeah...in the future I'll break out my crystal ball so I'll know if I can get out of my internship early.
"For future reference, you're an officious prick. Have a nice weekend!"

Dave

Staff member
I’m a good person, am I not? Why does the universe hate me?

Sitting at the hospital with my mom. No idea how bad it is, but I might have to make the call to have her go through surgery or just let her go. My sister and brother are nowhere to be found and no matter what I do it’s going to be a bad decision.

And saying the universe hates me when she’s the one hurt is so fucking selfish.

Dave

Staff member
Okay I'm back. It's been a long morning but things are going to be fine.

Sometime in the night my mother decided she had to go to the bathroom so - without her walker - she got up and went, but fell. When she fell she fractured her eye socket, nasal passage, broke her nose, and had a bleeding on her brain. When I typed the first part I was going by emergency room physicians who told me if the bleed got any bigger they'd have to take her to surgery, which at best would exacerbate her dementia and at worst kill her. So I'd have to decide at that time (which would have been an ASAP kind of thing) whether or not her quality of life would be worth putting her through that.

We get to the ICU and they inform us that the emergency room people were being rather alarmist. The neurosurgeon said that considering how awake and alert she was that it was probably going to be fine, but we wouldn't know until the second scan. And even if it grew and she needed surgery, it would not do to her dementia what they had told me it would.

The scan came back clean, and by clean I mean the bleed had not grown. They just need her to rest and heal as best she can, so I just came home. I will take a quick nap before going and viewing the house today. Hopefully THAT goes well.

Oh, and this all started at 5:30 or so in the am. It WOULD have started at 2:30 in the am, but the home she is in had my number wrong. Got that taken care of at least.

Dave

Staff member
Another up & down day. First my poor mom and then we put a bid on a house.

03442C9B-F4DF-482D-89D0-C8664B81C15C.jpeg[\spoiler]