Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Just popping in to interrupt and say ^ Seven Psychopaths is great, as well as In Bruges. Can't wait for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Cancer sucks, but incompetent ER triage teams and careless surgeons suck even worse.

My father had his surgery a few weeks ago and has been having issues ever since. He has been back to the ER multiple times with issues including severe pain, vomiting and fever. Each time, his symptoms are on the list of things he was given on a post op list to go to the ER for immediate help if they happened. Each time he went right away.

The first two times they saw him right away, took x rays and ran tests, but they did nothing for him and sent him home. This last time, they triaged him ridiculously low and he was there pretty much all night and people with little ouchie boo boos on their fingers were going in ahead of him. When they finally took him in, he still waited hours for an on call surgeon. They finally got there and did x rays and scheduled him for an immediate emergency surgery. His surgery a few weeks ago failed and caused horrible complications and a raging infection. The x rays from an earlier visit showed the issue too, but they had the idiot, budget doctors working that day evidently.

He’s going to have a much more difficult recovery ahead of him now and I’m angry. This setback was due to laziness and sloppy work on the part of the various doctors parts and totally preventable.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, NOW it's a rant.

They totaled the van. That means that they either take the van that was given to me by my father after he passed and they give me $1900 or they cut me a check for $1700 and if it costs more than that to fix, too fucking bad. Oh, and now I can't carry collision insurance on it any more because it is now considered a "salvage".

But it gets better! Since there was a third car involved, if they can fix her car it has priority. She was driving a 2015 Honda CR-V so there's a chance it could hit the $25,000 max. If that happens, we get nothing. So we'd have to start suing. Like we'd get anything from her. Maybe the bar she was drinking at if she was at a bar. Or maybe the person who sold her the car she was driving that didn't have the interlock device.

Bottom line is, we were completely legal, she was driving drunk and now we're screwed. Do I give up my dad's van and take the additional $200? Doubt it. I might have to get one thing at a time fixed on it when I can afford it, but we'd be down a vehicle. Can't afford to get a new car.

Fuck you, Emily Bergren, you fucking bitch.

Okay, NOW it's a rant.

They totaled the van. That means that they either take the van that was given to me by my father after he passed and they give me $1900 or they cut me a check for $1700 and if it costs more than that to fix, too fucking bad. Oh, and now I can't carry collision insurance on it any more because it is now considered a "salvage".

But it gets better! Since there was a third car involved, if they can fix her car it has priority. She was driving a 2015 Honda CR-V so there's a chance it could hit the $25,000 max. If that happens, we get nothing. So we'd have to start suing. Like we'd get anything from her. Maybe the bar she was drinking at if she was at a bar. Or maybe the person who sold her the car she was driving that didn't have the interlock device.

Bottom line is, we were completely legal, she was driving drunk and now we're screwed. Do I give up my dad's van and take the additional $200? Doubt it. I might have to get one thing at a time fixed on it when I can afford it, but we'd be down a vehicle. Can't afford to get a new car.

Fuck you, Emily Bergren, you fucking bitch.

Holy shit, dude. What was the first non-rant post about this? I missed it.

Dave

Staff member
It was in the random thread because at the time it wasn't that bad. Lady hit us and another car. It was her 4th DUI. 5:33 in the afternoon and her BAC was >.15. She was taken away in handcuffs and is ineligible for release. She was supposed to not be able to drive without an interlock device but we see how that worked.

/files away this example under the pro/con arguments for no-fault insurance states

That's really crummy. You may never see the money, but you should at least sue her, get a default judgement (since I doubt she's going to show up and defend herself) then use the sheriff to garnish wages.

But even if things worked out and you got the $1,700 - $1,900 that's not an adequate replacement for the value of that car to you guys.

Her selfishness is costing you dearly.

What is wrong with people?? I am sitting here stunned that you can possibly be out financially because some moron drove drunk and totaled your van.

And that this person drives drunk so often that they are meant to have a breathalyzer installed in their car. They're a hazard to everyone around them and should be spending the rest of their life in prison. Ridiculous.

What is wrong with people?? I am sitting here stunned that you can possibly be out financially because some moron drove drunk and totaled your van.
I doubt anyone here actually remembers this, but I'm actually missing an uncle to this sort of selfish stupidity.
He was studying to go into radio/recording/media, and he was on the freeway headed back to college after visiting home, and his van was hit head-on by someone who had deliberately entered the wrong side of the freeway with the intent to commit suicide (left a note and everything). According to my uncle's buddies (who were convoying with him and who were out front), the guy deliberately aimed for them, missed, and instead collided with my uncle, killing both of them instantly.

Dude got his wish, but I lost an uncle. I was all of maybe 7-8 years old, never really got to know him, and it sounds like we had so much in common, too.

So yes, what is wrong with people, indeed.

--Patrick

That’s just awful. I’m so sorry to hear that. I can’t even imagine what that does to a family. I’m both sad that this happened to you and your family and now even more angry at people who still do this.

I still can’t believe that people drink and drive any more. There’s no excuse and other people pay for it.

Don't you DARE complain about "financial difficulties" when you "have" to buy a new refrigerator so it matches the new dishwasher you also just bought. Not when your full time employees are trying desperately to not be reduced to sleeping in their cars in your parking lot.

Dave

Staff member
Welp, this just keeps getting better. Can’t afford to fix the van even after they pay us. Can’t afford to let them take it because we need the vehicle. Meeting with a lawyer next week to try going after drunk bitch. Getting the alignment fixed because that’s the biggest issue right now. The rest might take a bit of time.

And no, I’m not taking donations. We’ll get through this, but it’ll suck.

First call of the night was a homicide. 15 year old, apparently a decent kid, good football player, got shot and killed. Another one was shot and is in the hospital, apparently.

I had to keep his girlfriend calm and away from where he was lying on the ground. Had to keep his brother separated, pointing him to where his mother was already on the ground bawling after being given the news.

I've worked active scenes before, but for some reason this one's hitting heavy. Maybe because, by all accounts, this kid wasn't a thug. Some of the folks he was hanging out with tonight are, but this kid had it all going on for him, apparently.

First call of the night was a homicide. 15 year old, apparently a decent kid, good football player, got shot and killed. Another one was shot and is in the hospital, apparently.

I had to keep his girlfriend calm and away from where he was lying on the ground. Had to keep his brother separated, pointing him to where his mother was already on the ground bawling after being given the news.

I've worked active scenes before, but for some reason this one's hitting heavy. Maybe because, by all accounts, this kid wasn't a thug. Some of the folks he was hanging out with tonight are, but this kid had it all going on for him, apparently.
Don't know how much you can divulge, but do you have a suspect?

GasBandit

Staff member
My cousin is 35 years old. She has two kids (16 and 13). She has stage 4 cancer of the ileum. Her house is in foreclosure b/c she stopped being able to work due to treatment, and her husband works at a restaurant. They're giving her at the most two months with no real treatment other than poison to extend her life a few more weeks. Fuck cancer.