Rant VIII: The Reckoning

I need a thank you rating. Update: Today Vero looks like herself again. The color is back to her face, but it is still very bruised. Also, I saw her withou bandages and she has a small but very nasty wound next to her eye. This would decrease her 150% beauty to a mere 149%. The doctor says she is mostly ok, but they need to keep her under observation because her lungs.

I convinced Gaby to write a letter for her mother. Vero cried while she read it. The leter said: "I miss you, please be well soon and come back home, everything is a mess with daddy in charge. I love you."

Last edited:
this is excellent and your daughter wrote the best thing she could have written. vaya con dios to you are yours buddy, you deserve it.

Holy shit, I just caught all this... all of my best wishes to you, your wife, your daughter, and your mother-in-law. If there is ANYTHING we can do, please let us know...

Tomorrow Gaby has to go to school. Thanks to that, she finally realized that her mom is not here and that she is not going to be around for awhile... That was heartbreaking

Tomorrow Gaby has to go to school. Thanks to that, she finally realized that her mom is not here and that she is not going to be around for awhile... That was heartbreaking
Might be too late, but make sure her teachers are aware of the situation - at least enough to know that her mother is in the hospital, Gaby is very concerned about it, and it is likely to affect her mood and reactions. A little extra care and concern go a long way toward helping Gaby get through an already tough day.

Anybody here would like to help me calculating how fast the car that caused the accident wad going? You can't imagine how fucked up police investigations are here.

Going by the location of impact, damage, and the way it jumped after striking the parked vehicle, I'd estimate 40-50 mph (65-80kph).

Rough guess, without seeing the entire scene. @Frank, it might have been a while since you've worked one, but does that seem about right?

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the apparent point of impact. In the picture, it looks as though the primary impact point on the front of the Suzuki is where the asterisk is located in the following sixel graphic:
[O-*-S---O]
...where O is a headlight and S is the Suzuki logo.
This would make sense if a vehicle struck the rear of the Suzuki while traveling at an angle towards the sidewalk, because the off-center impact to the rear of the Suzuki would not only push the Suzuki forward, it would also swing the rear of the Suzuki towards the curb, which would swing the front of the Suzuki a bit to the left as it smashes into the pickup in front of it.
But the Suzuki has been somehow disengaged from the pickup and pushed up onto the curb. At first I thought maybe this was because its wheels were angled towards the curb, causing it to turn and climb the curb as the vehicle behind continued to push, but the Suzuki's tires are facing straight forward, so that wouldn't have been the case (unless the impact was also hard enough downward to lift the front wheels off the ground and over the curb, but that's not likely).

So I don't know how it can have the passenger side of the grille stove in like that BUT with that dent it should still be sitting there hugging the back of the truck with its dented right side, not with the left as shown in the picture.

Was there a second car that knocked the Suzuki up onto the curb after the first one hit it and canted it?

--Patrick

The suzuki was the speeding car. The chevrolet was the one who hit my wife and MIL (I didn't know you can abreviate mother in law like this). This is a picture of the chevrolet from the rear.IMG-20170924-WA0012.jpg

The pictures were taken after they rescued my wife and her mother, so I don't know the original location of the vehicles. I'm not even sure if they were actually in the sidewalk or trying to cross the street.

Today Vero left the icu. She ended in the same room with her mother. It's amazing how she seems to recover just by being able to talk with her relatives waiting for her.

Yeah, viewing that from the rear, I'd estimate closer to about 65kph. Fast enough to do damage, but not so fast that the force transferred to anything else.

Modern cars are designed to crumple, absorbing most of the energy of the collision to the body of the vehicle, rather than transferring it to the people inside. Makes for impressive-looking wrecks, but fewer major injuries inside.

You have my most sincere wishes for a speedy recovery of both of these tough women.

It appears that the initial point of impact is the front left of the Suzuki. I roughed out an accident diagram. The yellow on the right is where I estimate the paint on the sidewalk was, before the accident, then showing where it was after the accident. The Suzuki struck with sufficient force to make the Chevy roll in the direction of it's wheels (forward). I could be mistaken in this - I don't see any marks left by the tires, but it would account for the Suzuki's final resting position.

Short version. I have to come up with $700 by Friday or the house is lost. My checking account has ~$50 after paying cable, phone, and car insurance on this paycheck. My next one will be a week too late.

I put an ad on Craigslist for a house share @ $600/mo, but that appears to be too little, too late. No response yet, and with each passing day, it gets less likely that a roommate will save the situation. There just isn't enough time. Posting additional ads elsewhere looks to be a waste of time when the deadline is so soon.

I could sell off all my records and the stereo, but that would only buy me a month or two, with the added effect of losing all my records. My sister and her husband are looking to see if they can scrape something together to buy some extra time to find a roommate, but he just lost his job, too.

My mom's pension was paying the mortgage, but with her in the nursing home, all that money has gone to them instead.

Oh, AND the cats all need to go to the vet. If anything needs done, any hope of paying the mortgage even if I get a reprieve can be kissed goodbye.

I'm going to have dinner and then just go cry myself to sleep. I've failed.

Dave

Staff member
As someone who has been through that let me ask you a few questions.

1. If you got the money for Friday, would that keep you out of the weeds for only a month when you'd have to do it all over again, or would it keep you solvent for longer?
  2. If you DO lose the house, do you have a plan?
It sucks. Trust me, I know it from experience. My family and I were HOURS away from being homeless when we caught a lucky break. I've been through it.

As someone who has been through that let me ask you a few questions.

1. If you got the money for Friday, would that keep you out of the weeds for only a month when you'd have to do it all over again, or would it keep you solvent for longer?
  2. If you DO lose the house, do you have a plan?
It sucks. Trust me, I know it from experience. My family and I were HOURS away from being homeless when we caught a lucky break. I've been through it.
1. It would at least buy time to place more ads for the house share. I've only got the Craigslist ad up so far. I was asking around to see where I could put it for grad students to see. University newspaper, backpage, and reddit were the next steps.

2. Nope. I was blindsided by the "we've got four days to get a roommate" call. That made it hardly worth the time to place extra ads because of the lack of lead time. As it stands, I'd need someone to accept, sign on, and pay almost before the ad was posted.

The only bright side is that it would take time to do foreclosure proceedings, so I wouldn't have to vacate right away after this weekend.

Dave

Staff member
Remember, going into foreclosure does NOT necessarily mean you will lose the house. You have time and can fight this.

https://www.foreclosure.com/statelaw_WV.html

I'm not going to ask you to air anything out here (more than you have) but has the bank told you already that they are unable to work with you and resolve without a sale of the property? Or was this a "you have to do it by Friday or we're selling" kind of deal? They still have to follow procedure and process.

Remember, going into foreclosure does NOT necessarily mean you will lose the house. You have time and can fight this.

https://www.foreclosure.com/statelaw_WV.html

I'm not going to ask you to air anything out here (more than you have) but has the bank told you already that they are unable to work with you and resolve without a sale of the property? Or was this a "you have to do it by Friday or we're selling" kind of deal? They still have to follow procedure and process.
My sister has done most of the dealing with the bank, because she has guardianship of our mom. We've been just getting by so far, and she was able to get a small cut in the mortgage payments, but they were unwilling to accept partial payments, so AFAIK, this is the end of the line.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, @DarkAudit. You certainly don't deserve to have to deal with this problem, and you're definitely not at fault. Get some rest, and then tomorrow figure out what you need, what you want, what you can do (and can't do). There are a million paths from the point you're at right now. Change is hard, particularly change forced from the outside and not by choice, but it can lead to something more fulfilling.

Maybe it is time to hold on to things as they've always been, and to fight for them.

But maybe it's time to let go of things you've been holding onto.

And I'm not just talking about possessions.

I don't recall your stance on faith, but for what it's worth, you and your family will be in my family's thoughts and prayers.

Well, I may be completely fucked here.

At the beginning of the summer I moved from where I'd been living for the past 4? years to an apartment with a friend - significantly more expensive, but it felt like a clean break from some issues that had been building up with the old roommates, and I figured I wouldn't have too much trouble finding work before the money I had in my account dried up. Kind of funny in hindsight.

At the beginning of this month I had enough to get through the end of October with a bit of a credit card balance. Still two months to find work and get back on top of things, but the stress was kicking in hard, and I ended up with a brutal migraine a couple weeks ago. While I had that migraine, I left a tap running without noticing on the other end of the apartment while I went back to bed. Roommate noticed it when he got back from work a few hours later. Flooded not only our bathroom, but got into the floor and did some damage to the apartment below, as well. Also, the building turns out to be full of asbestos, so that water isn't evaporating. We don't have insurance.

Added bonus, our landlord has apparently decided (I say apparently because she only talks to my roommate now!) that she "doesn't feel safe" with me living here and wants me to move out. This is something that I could fight for at least a couple of months, but when the rent is causing financial strain, most of the friends I've made in the area have moved elsewhere, and my roommate's already started treating me as second-class in the apartment...do I even want to?

I dunno. I'm feeling pretty hopeless about everything right now and I have no sense of how to even begin resolving any of it.

@DarkAudit I don't know if financial rules are the same in the States as they are here, but if someone files for creditor protection or for other types of financial protection, they can't take your house or your car (if you depend on it to earn an income). If you and your sister have already spoken to the bank about what's going on and they haven't been more accommodating, then maybe it's time to contact someone higher up at the bank or contact a credit counseling company to help you and to negotiate for you. Many times the banks are being this way because the staff answering the phone don't know what the bank is willing to accept for partial payments or skipped payments. The more senior reps at your branch have the authority to do much more for you. You are in the middle of an incredibly stressful and exceptional situation and I can't believe that they wouldn't want to work with you. You genuinely want to pay them back when you can and that should make all the difference.

The other thing I was wondering, is do you have a copy of your mother's mortgage? A lot of them have strange promotions in them that you might be able to take advantage of right now that could help you through this. For example, many mortgages offer a feature where you can skip several payments a year, but only with advance notice of course. Some mortgages allow interest only payments at times. Many mortgages have their own Disability and/or Life insurance automatically included in them and you have to opt out of it. Your mother certainly seems like she would qualify for disability mortgage payments if that was on the mortgage.

Update on where I'm at: my parents are amazing. Worst case scenario here looks to be moving back with them until I'm back on my feet - I don't really want to be back in Ontario, but it beats the fuck out of the uncertainty of all of this.

Going to spend a couple days seeing if I can make things work here, and if not I guess I'm getting on a plane and leaving some of the stuff I've collected behind.

Okay, gonna sit down and put my two cents in now that we have more pictures from @Cog.
I'm no accident investigator nor insurance adjuster, but I'm a smart layperson, so here's my take:

The Suzuki hit the pickup directly in the left rear taillight, just like @Officer_Charon's diagram shows. That much is not in dispute, given the pictures and the fact that the dent in the Suzuki's front that I called out earlier pretty much exactly matches the damage done and is the shape of the left edge of the pickup's bed where the left rear taillight is. So there's evidence for the initial impact, but here's what I think happened next:

-The pickup's transmission is in [P]ark, or the emergency brake is on. Whatever it is, at least two of the pickup's wheels are going to resist turning, either because of brakes or because of the parking pawl.
-The Suzuki strikes the pickup obliquely from behind, just like in the diagram. WHAM!
-Enough momentum is transferred from the moving Suzuki to the pickup to overcome the tire friction that is otherwise holding the pickup still, much like a Newton's Cradle. As a result, the pickup jumps forward suddenly and violently. The pickup's direction tends to be straight forward, though, because the rear wheels aren't steerable and are pointed parallel with the street.
-There is now an empty space between the Suzuki and the pickup due to the pickup being shoved out of the way.
-This transfer of momentum has slowed the Suzuki significantly, but doesn't stop it completely (its wheels are still rolling), and so it continues its journey towards the curb, albeit much more slowly.
-The pickup loses enough momentum that the friction of its tires brings it to a stop a fraction of a second after being hit and just a very short ways from where it was originally parked.
-Since the pickup has stopped still again, the slower-rolling Suzuki impacts the rear of the pickup again (as shown in the second picture), this time with the leftmost corner of its hood (since it has rolled much closer to the curb by now), which would explain why the left headlight got peeled/folded outwards like in the picture. This also matches the second bit of Officer_Charon's diagram.
-This time, though, all the momentum is used up folding the headlight and crumpling the other side of the Suzuki, and all the vehicles are now stopped.

In order to find out how fast the Suzuki was going, you need to know three things: The weight of each vehicle, and the distance the pickup traveled from its starting position after being hit. After that, it's just tribological math, as shown in a video linked in the video game thread, of all places. The vehicle weights (plus a little extra for any cargo or occupants) are things which can be looked up on the manufacturer's websites, but it's that distance that's all-important to measure, because without that, then you have to start doing materials science instead to try and figure out how fast you would need to go in order to put a dent THIS deep into a Suzuki grille, etc. The tribology method is probably easier.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I got an email from my new boss today. I haven't met her yet. She works in another city. She just wanted to let me know she's running a competition for jobs at my level. I nearly threw up. I'm the only one currently. Then she explains that the main reasons are to fill the second one of the positions like mine that they have been planning to have out west that they've done nothing about for years (ok, no worries) and to make it easier to have people act for me (again, no worries). Then I realize...those were the main reasons...

That bitch...she's letting me know that she thinks I'm replaceable and is putting some pressure on me to rush back before I'm ready. I still have 7-10 months before I will be contacted by HR formally to return. I can return voluntarily before then at any time, but she decided to bring out the scare tactics today. The clearly only hire the spunkiest ditch pigs to work on that floor of the building.

Our living room TV gave up the ghost yesterday. It started locking up (screen would go off, would not respond to remote or physical switches) for a few seconds at a time, then a minute, then 2-3 minutes, annnd it's gone permanently.

I'll probably try popping it open this Sunday, see if there's something obviously wrong and fixable like a blown cap or a hairline crack in a board that I can jump over... But I'll probably break it in different ways while doing that so whee.

It was bought used 3.5-ish years ago, so it's not like it didn't get good use, but I don't have "new TV" in our budget. Grumble.