Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Perhaps that's why he makes these pathetic sounding yowls the whole time I'm in there too. The first time he reached his paw in through the curtain liner and touched my leg while I was in there, I was nearly scared to death.

His new thing is to join me while I'm working at my new desk that I just set up. On my lap? At my feet? No. He takes a flying leap and launches himself at the top of my chair and wraps himself around me like a scarf. He's not small.

Perhaps that's why he makes these pathetic sounding yowls the whole time I'm in there too. The first time he reached his paw in through the curtain liner and touched my leg while I was in there, I was nearly scared to death.

His new thing is to join me while I'm working at my new desk that I just set up. On my lap? At my feet? No. He takes a flying leap and launches himself at the top of my chair and wraps himself around me like a scarf. He's not small.
Clearly, he's trying to keep you away from immersing yourself in a biting acid bath, and while at work, trying to keep your neck warm and cozy so you don't suffer pain and discomfort. Yes. He hasn't been taking tips from the neighbour's boa constrictor at all.

Dave

Staff member
Which leaves me with...the first draft of a YA novel that I now completely hate, and a barely started memoir that I haven't touched in months and don't know what to do with anymore. I've said before that I've considered giving up on writing altogether and that thought is getting strong again.
I'm not big on YA novels, but I think you really have something with the memoir. What I read made me want more.

Lady friend was supposed to come stay with me this weekend but got familied so she ain't coming. Now I have to wait a week to go see her. Boo.

Fuck this weekend. I have this amazing pork shoulder marinating in the fridge and I was planning on making the kind of meal you only make for someone you're planning on being intimate with, but lazily and well after you both wake up from the food coma. Ultra butter potatoes, roast veggies from the garden, etc and perfectly soft honey pork shoulder.

God damn it.

Got several messages and then a wake-up phone call from the boss this morning. I was scheduled to work in the cafe side of the place today. Which was the first time I'd heard anything about it. Both of my parents were out with their respective cars, so I had no way to get out there (20 minute drive, 75 minute bike ride, bus system out that way isn't great). And last I checked, my name wasn't even listed on the cafe schedules anymore. I told my boss this and he said it's fine and stay home. He'd talk with the cafe supervisor.

See, I was hired on to work in the bike shop side of the cafe & bike shop. But 4 people left recently to go back to school. So they offered to train me on that side, which would give me more hours. Which is great. Except...I didn't do very well. My insecurities meant I was terrified to screw anything up. I was overwhelmed with trying to keep track of all the different kinds of drinks, what goes in them, or what glasses to put them in, etc. After about a week and a half, I noticed I didn't have any shifts in the cafe for the following two weeks. When I confronted the cafe supervisor, she said because I wasn't learning things as fast as she needed me to learn them. Which is fair, but she didn't communicate this with me until after I confronted her about the schedule. Then she said she'll try me out on a few more shifts and decide from there.

Meanwhile, the other guy working in the bike shop left for school, so I picked up more shifts on that side. Meanwhile, my name was no longer listed at all on the cafe schedule, so I stopped checking. I didn't bother asking the supervisor because I took it as a sign that I didn't work out in the cafe like she said.

And now suddenly I'm apparently back on the schedule, without any word? What the hell?

I wish I could just find another job, but there's jack shit out there for jobs. I was lucky enough to even get this one.

I'm currently in work this morning, because my boss assigned me a 2hr presentation with LESS than two work days prep time.

At least I'm paid for it, but working on your day off sucks ass.

Applied and was accepted to attend a TED Talk for educators later this month. School board wants me to take unpaid days off to attend as it's not related to 'board programming'. IT'S A FREAKEN EDUCATION CONFERENCE!!!! Grrrrr.

Holy fucking shit, that sucks, man. Not much I can do from a practical perspective here (and I hate that) but at the very least I'm sending all the good vibes I can your way.

She has fisures in her skull, her eye may be affected. Column and brain seems to be ok. She has lesions in her both her lungs

I'm sorry to hear she got injured. I hope the accident won't have any permanent effects on her and your family's life.

Friends. I have a confesion to make.

My wife wasn't alone during the accident. Her mother was with her. I didn't metion her because, honestly, I could think in anybody but my wife at the time and then I was embarrased about it and also because she was doing a lot better. In fact, she was going to be released from the hospital. I feel bad for that. Last night something happened and she needed a transfusion and need to be evaluated for surgery.

As for Vero, my wife, they found fluids in her lungs that need to be drained. She will stay in the icu at least until monday.

Last edited:
Friends. I have a confesion to make.

My wife wasn't alone during the accident. Her mother was with her. I didn't metion her because, honestly, I could thing in anybody but my wife at the time and then I was embarrased about it and also because she was doing a lot better. In fact, she was going to be released from the hospital. I feel bad for that. Last night something happened and she needed a transfusion and need to be evaluated for surgery.

As for Vero, my wife, they found fluids in her lungs that need to be drained. She will stay in the icu at least until monday.
You don't owe any of us anything. Don't feel bad for not telling us all the details. Share what you feel necessary bro.
We all hope your wife and MIL have full and speedy recoveries!

In other news, Gabriela, my daughter, is in complete denial about everything. She doesn't want to hear about the accident orhow her mom is doing or send her a message or write a letter to make her feel better.

Last edited:
In other news, Gabriela, my daughter, is in complete denial about everything. She doesn't want to hear about the accident orhow her mom is doing or send her a message or write a letter to make her feel better.
Cog, I pray to God that everything turns out well with your wife and MIL, but I would strongly recommend that your daughter does SOMETHING to engage with her Mother right now in her current condition. If (God forbid) the worst happens, your daughter might be significantly worse off for having done nothing right now.

Reactions: Cog
Cog, I pray to God that everything turns out well with your wife and MIL, but I would strongly recommend that your daughter does SOMETHING to engage with her Mother right now in her current condition. If (God forbid) the worst happens, your daughter might be significantly worse off for having done nothing right now.
It really depends on the age and stage of their development. There are children and youth who did see their parent in a state of significant medical intervention and that is the only image of that parent they could recall after their death due to the trauma of the whole situation.

That said, a note, flowers, or some token would be appropriate, even if it's something you purchased and simply asked her to sign (or drew her handprint on it if she's too small to sign). It's ok to do all the work and simply involve her a little bit, it'll still be helpful for her in the future to have done it.