[Movies] Pacific Rim

Oh for Christ sake. (To your friend, of course, not you.) It's people in giant robot suits fighting giant monsters. That's not an idea that's exclusive to Evangelion.
I thought the fact the monsters are called Kaiju made it pretty obvious this is a sort of love letter to the Japanese monster movies of days past. Even the fact the monsters seem to come in many different shapes and sizes (one even had wings in that new trailer) really makes me imagine those crazy battle royales between monsters and robots that defined franchises like Godzilla or Ultraman.
I argued both these points. He's just kind of a dumbass about things like this.

I, for one, am delighted that the Glados voice appears to have been kept.

I hope the movie doesn't have mostly night-time fight scenes though. I want to see the fights as clearly as possible.

I
I have a jackass friend who is boycotting this movie (supposedly) because Del Toro didn't admit that he "totally ripped of Evangelion."
This seems to be a pretty common perception.

It's also completely fucking ridiculous.

I can't see this opening day, as it's my daughter's birthday, and my wife would have my head on a platter.

However, there's enough guys on my watch looking forward to this that I might be organizing a watch party to go see it.

I can't see this opening day, as it's my daughter's birthday, and my wife would have my head on a platter.

However, there's enough guys on my watch looking forward to this that I might be organizing a watch party to go see it.
Man, I would not want to be the guy that tries to sneak in hooch or pot, talks during the movie, or is in any way obnoxious during THAT viewing.

Dave

Staff member
I'm sorry, but I'm kinda "meh" on this. I also hated the Transformers movies. I'm mostly interested in how they run the dual pilot thing. But monsters of this size are unsustainable physiologically.

I'm sorry, but I'm kinda "meh" on this. I also hated the Transformers movies. I'm mostly interested in how they run the dual pilot thing. But monsters of this size are unsustainable physiologically.
Dude, this is clearly not Transformers. For starters, the CGI action in this doesn't look like two globs of metal rubbing up against each other.

Dave

Staff member
Dude, this is clearly not Transformers. For starters, the CGI action in this doesn't look like two globs of metal rubbing up against each other.
I know, but I prefer movies that are more than just all "GRAAAH!! CGI!!!!!" with the humans just there to make overacted and cliched lines. That's what this seems to be to me.

Eh, it's Del Toro, the man is in love with story, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

Eh, it's Del Toro, the man is in love with story, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it.
so much this.

Go in expecting a long movie aout giant ass robots fighting giant ass monsters, end up watching a movie about a schizophrenic child that uses fantasy to escape the brutality of fascism.

so much this.

Go in expecting a long movie aout giant ass robots fighting giant ass monsters, end up watching a movie about a schizophrenic child that uses fantasy to escape the brutality of fascism.
Hey. At the end there, you totally have to question if it was completely fantasy.

Hey. At the end there, you totally have to question if it was completely fantasy.
I loved that movie. I hope that something similar happens with pacific rim (as in a movie larger than its genre) Hell even if Del Toro just made a dumb action movie, I would be pretty happy.

I loved that movie. I hope that something similar happens with pacific rim (as in a movie larger than its genre) Hell even if Del Toro just made a dumb action movie, I would be pretty happy.
Well, I expect this to be a pretty solid genre flick but I know we will see the Del Toro touches to the genre and that excites me.

Pan's Labyrinth is probably one of the best fantasy films ever made.
Ditto.

I've never been too disappointed with a Del Toro film. Hellboy 2 isn't one of my favorites, mostly because of what he did with all the characters. Abe is a complete love-sick loon through most of the film. Hellboy is even whiner than he was in the first film. I HATE that Hellboy and Manning don't have that same sense of respect they garnered for each other at the end of the first film. Krauss was awesome until he and everyone else decides to quit the department. So yeah. Not my favorite.
What did I like? What I always like. Del Toro's love of monsters and detail. Specially when he decides to go practical effects and make-up. His movies, while not always character-strong, are certainly always beautiful.

Once I, and it was hard, divorced the film version of Hellboy from the comic I was able to roll with everything different way better. The only thing I still struggled with was Hellboy and Liz gittin' it on.

Ew.

Other than that the first film was probably one of the best comic book movies ever and the second amplified that by about a zillion.

But I understand why some wouldn't care for them.

Wasn't that the entire point of the movie? Isn't that Del Toro's entire intention?

This movie is exactly as it's advertised and presented as, -2 stars!

Hey, if what I have seen is what I will get, I'm glad to know that I'm not missing out on anything.

*edit* That is to say, it doesn't seem like going to see it will give me much more than I saw in the trailers, so I'll pass.

Uuuuuuuuugh. No babysitter right now means no movie. :( Our normal babysitter is out of town and our other babysitter isn't available during any of the showtimes next week.

LAME.