[Movies] Pacific Rim

It's doing well and will (hopefully) make its budget back by the end of the weekend, but it's not doing gangbuster business.

I get the feeling it'll be kind of like Batman Begins: not a fantastic opening, but word of mouth shoots it back up. Plus, like Avengers, I think it'll get a LOT of people doing repeat viewings. I know I plan on seeing it at LEAST a second time.

Also, is it out overseas yet? Because I see China and Japan loving the HELL out of this. Japan, especially, for obvious reasons.

Big blockbuster opening at 3rd place is not really doing well, I'm sure most of the studio folks are pissed.

But yeah, hopefully it has legs.

Oh man oh man, I just got back from this.

First things first. I know I normally shit on 3D. I hate 3D. I don't think it adds to movies, I don't like how it makes everything darker, blah blah blah.

I saw this in 3D and LOVED IT. The 3D effects are perfectly used, the lighting of the overall film doesn't make it too dark, and the fact that most of the action happens at night makes the added darkness thematically fitting. I did peek over my glasses during the night scenes and noticed how BRIGHT it was for night, so obviously they had this in mind when filming. The added depth really did add to the monumental feel of everything, I loved it.

Second, OMG GIANT ROBOTS! I expected this to be a dumb, fun action movie, and it was. I didn't expect to be a giddy little kid jumping in my seat. This movie is pure, unadulterated joy. It was made with absolute love of the genre, and it shows in every single scene.

Goddamn I miss my Power Rangers toys. THANKS MOM FOR THROWING THEM AWAY.

RRRRRRROOOCKET PUUUUNCHU!

Good fun, if you can ignore the mediocre writing and appreciate giant robots fighting giant beasts from a wide enough angle to see the actual fight.

Good fun, if you can ignore the mediocre writing and appreciate giant robots fighting giant beasts from a wide enough angle to see the actual fight.

I thought the writing was great. Is it cheesy and full of tropes? Yes. Is this entirely on purpose because it's a love letter to a cheesy genre? Yes.

Where a movie places is not important. First, third, eighth, whatever. The only thing important is that the movie make money. And unfortunately, Pacific Rim has only made something in the $40 million range. The budget was at least $200 million, so that's a low total for a big sci-fi action flick in a prime summer slot. This thing had better have legs in the box office, or we will not see a sequel.

And now it's time for my rant. Fuck you, average audience. Fuck you all. Apparently Pacific Rim isn't doing well because it's not a sequel, it's not based on a popular book/tv show/whatever, and it doesn't have a big name star attached to it. How dare something be original and different, amirite? Instead you dumb mouthbreathing fucks are all flocking to Grown-Ups 2 (and Despicable Me 2, which I get because it's something for the kids). Grown-Ups 2? The first was shit, Adam Sandler hasn't made a good movie in over a decade, and you're all fucking morons. That is all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373852869][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's doing well and will (hopefully) make its budget back by the end of the weekend...
what.

Where a movie places is not important. First, third, eighth, whatever. The only thing important is that the movie make money. And unfortunately, Pacific Rim has only made something in the $40 million range. The budget was at least $200 million, so that's a low total for a big sci-fi action flick in a prime summer slot. This thing had better have legs in the box office, or we will not see a sequel.

And now it's time for my rant. Fuck you, average audience. Fuck you all. Apparently Pacific Rim isn't doing well because it's not a sequel, it's not based on a popular book/tv show/whatever, and it doesn't have a big name star attached to it. How dare something be original and different, amirite? Instead you dumb mouthbreathing fucks are all flocking to Grown-Ups 2 (and Despicable Me 2, which I get because it's something for the kids). Grown-Ups 2? The first was shit, Adam Sandler hasn't made a good movie in over a decade, and you're all fucking morons. That is all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373852869][/DOUBLEPOST]

what.

It's made twice that, counting international. $91.3 million so far.

China's mech jaeger was the coolest, anyway.
I thought Russia's was hilarious. A giant, ugly piece of shit that was so heavily armored that it just out-survived most things. Sounds like almost every Russian military vehicle ever made (especially their tanks).

I thought Russia's was hilarious. A giant, ugly piece of shit that was so heavily armored that it just out-survived most things. Sounds like almost every Russian military vehicle ever made (especially their tanks).

I loved that the inside, and their suits, looked like a tank. It was very fitting.

I know they had to focus on the two main characters for the movie, but I kinda wished we'd seen more of the other Jaeger pilots.

Actually, one thing that bugged me was near the end, where they had that big father-son moment with the other pilots. They barely spent much time on them and all of a sudden, we're supposed to give a crap about this heart-warming moment?

I could go for a prequel that shows more about the first kaiju attack, building the first jaegers and the earlier battles, and just more background. It's a fascinating world del Toro created.

I could go for a prequel that shows more about the first kaiju attack, building the first jaegers and the earlier battles, and just more background. It's a fascinating world del Toro created.
Lots of potential there, even from a scientific standpoint. I would guess they would have tried numerous ways to seal, bury, or destroy the breach. Autopsies of kaiju would be a worldwide fascination. Space exploration would die as ocean exploration grew exponentially. How long would political barriers last before everyone accepted this was a threat to the whole planet, not just those countries around the Pacific Rim?

I was impressed that he managed to create a world in which giant battle mechs seems perfectly normal, and was able to sell it to its audience in a fairly short amount of time.

I wasn't able to see it this weekend, so probably going to go the coming weekend, but there's one thing I really need to know first...

Does the GLADOS voice make it to the final film?

Because if not, I'm not watching this movie.

It's not doing so well. Which is sad.

GROWN UPS 2 AMIRITE?
Gist of the Cinema Snob rating was that it makes anything look like Citizen Kane and was one of the worst movies they'd been subjected to.

My twin 11-year-old cousins wanted to see Grown Ups 2 before we took them mini-golfing instead. I recounted to them the opening the review describes--a deer wanders into the house and pisses all over Adam Sandler. They started cackling. So Despicable Me 2 isn't the only thing for kids in theaters.

-_-[DOUBLEPOST=1373859008][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wasn't able to see it this weekend, so probably going to go the coming weekend, but there's one thing I really need to know first...

Does the GLADOS voice make it to the final film?

Because if not, I'm not watching this movie.
It does. Even gets a couple funny lines, though not GLaDOS-type of funny.

It does. Even gets a couple funny lines, though not GLaDOS-type of funny.
Good. I'll be seeing it then.

Also, I thought the first Grown Ups movie was a horrible and awkward experience to sit through. I can't imagine treating my friends like that and not have the crap beaten out of me. They tried to portray it as good-natured horseplay, but it just looked like a bunch of assholes being assholes to each other.

Also, I thought the first Grown Ups movie was a horrible and awkward experience to sit through. I can't imagine treating my friends like that and not have the crap beaten out of me. They tried to portray it as good-natured horseplay, but it just looked like a bunch of assholes being assholes to each other.
Apparently for the sequel they have Sandler being outright sadistic to both friends and family. CO-ME-DY!

So, it was a documentary about those actors then?

I wouldn't even say it's cheesy. It's over the top, to be sure, but I think it's more "wearing the fun on their sleeve" and just letting loose to have fun with the whole thing. It's more earnest than cheesy, without a shred of irony.

Sooooooo... I got done ahead of my deadline and we got a babysitter and hit this movie like the fist of an angry Kajiu! SO. MUCH. FREAKING. FUN. I think the russian Jaeger was my favorite, that thing was just awesome.

Dave

Staff member
Read through my posts in this thread. I have been very -meh- about this since it was first in trailers. Then the reviews started coming in and they were positive. So I took my son this morning to see it at a discount. Verdict? I loved it!!

Most movies of this type are very "we have special effects and no story". In Pacific Rim, the stories are still there, and the special effects are a counterpoint to these. Holy shit, right?!? The battles were good and the interactions were decent. There were a few plot holes, but I can get over them. There were a lot of cliches and the final speech was very, VERY Independence Day.

But I'm glad I went to see it and I'm glad you guys were excited for it because had it not been for you all, I would have given this a pass.

I loved this movie. It was full of tropes and yeah, predictable - but it executed everything so well, you don't mind. It was a perfect homage to the entire kaiju and mecha genres. I've heard it called a Live Action Mecha Anime, and you know, that's not really a bad description, except it left out the shitty parts of most anime.It's like a tribute band made of way more skilled musicians than the band they're paying tribute to, or a bacon cheeseburger made by a world-class chef who isn't trying to redefine it, just make the best damn bacon cheeseburger you'll ever eat.

Also, whomever designed the Jaeger Pilot armor should do the armor for the Mass Effect movie.

I'm going to see it again in 3D if possible.