[Movies] Pacific Rim

I'm reminded of how China Mieville described his novel, Kraken:

Del Toro may share his perspective, I get that sort of feeling from the trailer.
I get a distinctly Independence Day feel from the trailer. Could be serious, could be cheesy, can't really tell. Will wait for the full movie. Honestly, I was excited about the movie until I saw the trailer, now I'm just slightly above ambivalent. Too many potentially good movies coming out next year.

GLADOS kind of took me off guard. To be honest it feels a little forced. I want GLADOS making tests and being snarky, not just a pure computer talking technical points of the suits. I kind of wish they changed it up a bit, like let Ellen McLain talk normally and then maybe have her talk in the GLADOS voice while malfunctioning as a nerd gag. The fact she sounds 100% GLADOS just throws me off. It would be like in WoW if Lorewalker Cho started talking like Winnie the Poo just because the voice actor was known for it.

Hey guys thats not actually GLADOS. It just sounds kind of like GLADOS because it's a computer generated voice and a lot of those sound similar. I think people might be playing that up a little more than it should be.

Hey guys thats not actually GLADOS. It just sounds kind of like GLADOS because it's a computer generated voice and a lot of those sound similar. I think people might be playing that up a little more than it should be.
That is 100% Ellen McLain doing her GLADOS voice.

I'm not familiar with the actress, I figured it was just similar voice filtering techniques. Weird but... meh? Maybe I'm just not a big enough portal fan to be annoyed by this. I find the voice charming in the trailer just like I do in Portal. It would be a nice easter egg for it to somehow tie the universes together though... that would be fun.

I'm not familiar with the actress, I figured it was just similar voice filtering techniques. Weird but... meh? Maybe I'm just not a big enough portal fan to be annoyed by this. I find the voice charming in the trailer just like I do in Portal. It would be a nice easter egg for it to somehow tie the universes together though... that would be fun.
The issue is that GLaDOS is rather iconic by this point in nerd culture, so having her reprise the same voice for another random AI, I just feel that takes away from the movie more then it adds to it. Now anytime the AI talks all the nerds are going to be like "Haha it's GLADOS!" rather then paying attention to whats happening, then half-way through the movie after not hearing a single snarky line and just a bunch of "powering up suit reactors", people are going to be like "Why isn't she acting like GLADOS?"

Again, it's like how Blizzard recently got Jim Cummings to voice a character in WoW, Lorewalker Cho. They didn't just decide "Well, Pandaren are technically bears, so just do the Winnie the Poo voice.", they had him do a different voice.

Again, I would be fine if Ellen was talking normally and only through certain points spoke like GLaDOS to elicit a nerdgasm, but they instead decided "Well you are a computer, so just be GLaDOS."

What if...WHAT IF...the Portal Universe and this universe are connected.

After all, the monsters come through a huge fuckin' PORTAL.

Duuuudes.

What if...WHAT IF...the Portal Universe and this universe are connected. After all, the monsters come through a huge fuckin' PORTAL.
PACIFIC RIM IS ACTUALLY HALF-LIFE 3

Best Youtube Comment Ever.
Cave Johnson here!

Lab boys say that you might have traveled into a parallel Universe, where moon rocks works like panacea, so I'm alive and laughing. They also mentioned that our fancy portal tech carrying ship has drowned. Not a big problem, though it made a huge problem, which is HUGE ALIENS! Our solution is simple: build HUGE ROBOTS and we'll put you inside them. Don't worry: Caroline and I will keep you safe. Oh, by the way, those mechs are covered in asbestos. Keeps off the rats.

The issue is that GLaDOS is rather iconic by this point in nerd culture, so having her reprise the same voice for another random AI, I just feel that takes away from the movie more then it adds to it. Now anytime the AI talks all the nerds are going to be like "Haha it's GLADOS!" rather then paying attention to whats happening, then half-way through the movie after not hearing a single snarky line and just a bunch of "powering up suit reactors", people are going to be like "Why isn't she acting like GLADOS?"

Again, it's like how Blizzard recently got Jim Cummings to voice a character in WoW, Lorewalker Cho. They didn't just decide "Well, Pandaren are technically bears, so just do the Winnie the Poo voice.", they had him do a different voice.

Again, I would be fine if Ellen was talking normally and only through certain points spoke like GLaDOS to elicit a nerdgasm, but they instead decided "Well you are a computer, so just be GLaDOS."
I understand the thought process, I just really don't think it's going to be an issue.

I understand the thought process, I just really don't think it's going to be an issue.
I will agree it won't for the majority, since most don't play Portal or Portal 2, but it will for me. Maybe I am just more sensative to it, it took me a few episodes of Adventure Time to stop thinking about Jake as "Bender as a magic dog with less vulgarity", but at the least he was a totally different type of character for the most part. AI character voicing another AI character is even worst.

I will agree it won't for the majority, since most don't play Portal or Portal 2, but it will for me. Maybe I am just more sensative to it, it took me a few episodes of Adventure Time to stop thinking about Jake as "Bender as a magic dog with less vulgarity", but at the least he was a totally different type of character for the most part. AI character voicing another AI character is even worst.
Well, it's not that different from Tom Cruise playing a action guy in one film then a different action guy in another film when you think about it.

What I do get is that it can pull someone out of a movie. I really struggled with John Dimaggio (sp?) voicing the Joker in one of the animated Batman movies, because he just sounded like Bender to me. It was... weird.

Well, it's not that different from Tom Cruise playing a action guy in one film then a different action guy in another film when you think about it.
It's a little different, mostly because I find it harder to suspend belief on voices since I know them specifically for the voice and the character they play with that voice. I can suspend belief when Tom Cruise plays two action guys because I can understand it's Tom Cruise. When you hear someone doing the same voice for two character you don't think "Oh Ellen McLain", you think "GLaDOS?"

I mean let us remove Ellen/GLaDOS, and instead the voice actor they got for the AI was Peter Cullen. doing the exact same voice as Optimus Prime. Do you think more people would be "Oh cool it's Peter Cullen" or more would be "OMG OPTIMUS PRIME" and get totally taken out because of how weird it was to have him in two totally different giant robot movies?

Even so some actors can be just as bad in some ways, like nearly every modern movie Nicholas Cage has done.

What I do get is that it can pull someone out of a movie. I really struggled with John Dimaggio (sp?) voicing the Joker in one of the animated Batman movies, because he just sounded like Bender to me. It was... weird.
What's funny about Cruise is his next two action movie roles are named Jack, too. Jack Reacher and then another Jack in Oblivion.

Also, I should think that for your example, Scythe, you're a bit over the top there... Jim Cummings is known for JUUUUUUST a bit more than merely Winnie the Pooh...
How does this make it over the top? I am giving an example of how a voice actor using the SAME VOICE for a different character can be jolting, more so when used in different settings. I never said Jim Cummings was only known for Winnie the Poo, I am saying that him using the Winnie the Poo voice on another show/game just because he was playing another bear would be jolting.

Again, if Ellen used a different voice then GLaDOS I wouldn't have a problem.

How does this make it over the top? I am giving an example of how a voice actor using the SAME VOICE for a different character can be jolting, more so when used in different settings. I never said Jim Cummings was only known for Winnie the Poo, I am saying that him using the Winnie the Poo voice on another show/game just because he was playing another bear would be jolting.

Again, if Ellen used a different voice then GLaDOS I wouldn't have a problem.
On the flip side, Seth McFarlane has like four voices that he uses for everything, and no one seems to mind.

On the flip side, Seth McFarlane has like four voices that he uses for everything, and no one seems to mind.
To be fair though, he has only been in like three movies. One of which was a bit cameo as a Tooth Fairy illegal arms dealer. His biggest role was Ted, and frankly I didn't have any desire to see that movie, so thinking "Brian the Bear" was not an issue. Even then, Brian is his real voice, so it's less jarring then say, using Stewie or Peters voice for Ted.

I WANT to see Pacific Rim.

To be fair though, he has only been in like three movies. One of which was a bit cameo as a Tooth Fairy illegal arms dealer. His biggest role was Ted, and frankly I didn't have any desire to see that movie, so thinking "Brian the Bear" was not an issue. Even then, Brian is his real voice, so it's less jarring then say, using Stewie or Peters voice for Ted.

I WANT to see Pacific Rim.
Ted was actually pretty good, and I'm not a fan of family guy.

I got all excited when I saw Legendary Pictures logo and the giant creature rising from the deep, because I thought it was finally a trailer for the Godzilla movie that Legendary has been working on for a couple of years.

Then it wasn't Godzilla and I let the hate fill me.

Getting butthurt that the voice is the same as glados because it's a big part of nerd culture is funny. This movie isn't being made for nerd culture, so the majority of the people watching it aren't going to have ANY idea who she is and the computer suddenly getting snarky is going to pull THEM out of the movie. Who do you think Hollywood cares about? The nerds or the rest of the movie watching world? Yeah, easy answer there.

True, BUT Del Toro is a giant nerd. A giant amongst nerds. A nerdy giant.

I'm guessing he just thought it would super cool to have the actress of something his nerdy self loves doing the voice in something his nerdy self is making. This guy is and always will be a supremely awesome nerd. This is his way of saying, hey, you like Glados? ME TOOOOOOOO! :awesome:

Getting butthurt that the voice is the same as glados because it's a big part of nerd culture is funny. This movie isn't being made for nerd culture, so the majority of the people watching it aren't going to have ANY idea who she is and the computer suddenly getting snarky is going to pull THEM out of the movie. Who do you think Hollywood cares about? The nerds or the rest of the movie watching world? Yeah, easy answer there.
While it obviously is being made to appeal to a wide audience, it would be rather bold to say it was not being made to also appeal to nerd culture. GLaDOS was picked specifically for the nerd cred, and even the massive aliens are called Kaiju, after the the famous giant monsters of Japanese film, like Godzilla. Only a nerd would even get that. I shouldn't even need to mention the fact that giant robots PUNCHING alien monsters to death with rocket propelled fists is rather geek-tastic.

In the end I will feel how I wish to feel about it. I am sure it will be a fun movie regardless, but every time GLaDOS talks I am going to be weirded out.

I agree. They could easily have asked Ellen Mclain to do a different voice. The fact that she's doing her Glados voice tells me they wanted the Glados reference in there.

I, however, will giggle with glee every time I hear the Glados voice, because it's awesome.

Wait a minute...aliens...from another dimension. Why does that sound famili-

Wow....Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles movie took a weirder direction than we thought it would.

I think you'll just have to make up different dialogue in your head, like I do whenever I see Samuel L Jackson in Star Wars.

The Sith are going DOWN mothra farker!

and I think anyone in Japan would understand the Kaiju reference.