[Movies] Pacific Rim

Okay, am I the only one who hates Charlie Hunnams fake american accent? It drives me nuts in Sons of Anarchy.

Okay, am I the only one who hates Charlie Hunnams fake american accent? It drives me nuts in Sons of Anarchy.
Again, Like is Agree. The dude can barely hold the accent when he screams, and his character screams ALL THE TIME.

I have wondered about the "british must speak American" thing for a while now.

I buy that they want American audiences to relate as much as possible, but is that still really something that is an issue? Chris Hemsworth tones down the Aussie thing a bit as Thor, but not to the point where it's gone.

I have wondered about the "british must speak American" thing for a while now.

I buy that they want American audiences to relate as much as possible, but is that still really something that is an issue? Chris Hemsworth tones down the Aussie thing a bit as Thor, but not to the point where it's gone.
He's also, y'know, playing a alien Norse god. Meanwhile, especially since Idris Elba isn't using an American accent in the trailer, I assume that Charlie Hunnam's character is supposed to be American, where a British accent doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I've never had a problem with Hunnam's accent (didn't even know it was fake), so I'll be alright with it.

He's also, y'know, playing a alien Norse god. Meanwhile, especially since Idris Elba isn't using an American accent in the trailer, I assume that Charlie Hunnam's character is supposed to be American, where a British accent doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I've never had a problem with Hunnam's accent (didn't even know it was fake), so I'll be alright with it.
And Hunnam is playing a Power Ranger in a fancy suit, what's the difference? It's not like he's playing a detective in Gangster Squad.

And Hunnam is playing a Power Ranger in a fancy suit, what's the difference? It's not like he's playing a detective in Gangster Squad.
He's playing one of the two pilots of the specifically American (as opposed to the Russian, Japanese, or Chinese) super robot. The character was likely written to be an American, especially since, like I said, they don't have any problem with Idris Elba keeping his British accent. Being one of the main characters, it's also not unlikely that we'll get some backstory from him, which could well include details that don't fit someone from England or anywhere else where he would likely pick up a British accent.

Oh come on, it's a SF action movie that takes place in the Pacific and isn't tied to any outstanding franchise or story, backstories can easily get re-written. It's not exactly Batman, with an established characterization and locality.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh come on, it's a SF action movie that takes place in the Pacific and isn't tied to any outstanding franchise or story, backstories can easily get re-written. It's not exactly Batman, with an established characterization and locality.
From stories I've heard in the industry, it could very well be subject to the whim of one psychotic coked-up producer (cough*JohnPeters*cough) who wants something ridiculous ("GIANT FUCKIN SPIDER") in the movie and woe betide any who defy him.

Except that unless a character detail was just choosen at random, there's often a reason for that character detail, which the director may not want to change. I'm not sure why you're so against the idea that a character may be intended to be from a certain country (or similarly be a certain race or gender). Depending on the situation, those details may well be entirely unimportant and they may take whichever actor fits the actually relevant characteristics, but in other cases, the director's view of the character may involve a specific match on one of those details.

I just re-watched undeclared and in it Hunnam's british character has this terrible american accent he jokes around with.

It is, sadly, the same terrible american accent he now uses.

I thought Del Toro had total control?
Del Toro could be the one responsible for it, with an irrational, unwavering desire for the lead pilot of an American war machine to be American. Totally seems comparable to wanting to insert a "Giant Fucking Spider" in a superman movie. Crazy idea to hire an actor to play a defined character, rather than just re-writing the character to match whatever actor you hire, letting them play themselves within the movie plot.

:facepalm:

Del Toro could be the one responsible for it, with an irrational, unwavering desire for the lead pilot of an American war machine to be American. Totally seems comparable to wanting to insert a "Giant Fucking Spider" in a superman movie. Crazy idea to hire an actor to play a defined character, rather than just re-writing the character to match whatever actor you hire, letting them play themselves within the movie plot.

:facepalm:
I don't like your tone, bitch.

Oh for Christ sake. (To your friend, of course, not you.) It's people in giant robot suits fighting giant monsters. That's not an idea that's exclusive to Evangelion.

I thought the fact the monsters are called Kaiju made it pretty obvious this is a sort of love letter to the Japanese monster movies of days past. Even the fact the monsters seem to come in many different shapes and sizes (one even had wings in that new trailer) really makes me imagine those crazy battle royales between monsters and robots that defined franchises like Godzilla or Ultraman.