Only a test...

Breaking news

A possible solution?

evilmike

evilmike

The Russian option

Bowielee

Bowielee

As long as they don't do this in the same way as Cloverfield, I can't wait to see this. I've always wanted to see the Kaiju battle movies hit over here in the US. Though, I do have to admit, I still have a soft spot for guys in rubber suits smashing models rather than CGI, but asking Hollywood to use practical effects of any kind over CGI is futile.

Frank

Frank

This is Guillermo Del Toro right?

That's got to mean a whole shit ton of practical effects. That dude loves them too much.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, assuming Del Toro isn't being hamstrung by the studio, and so far word seems to be he's being allowed to act like a kid in a candy shop, expect some really amazing visual effects, many of which will be practical.

I cannot contain my glee for this thing. I am so excited. Giant monsters and Del Toro. Gaaaaaaah!

Covar

Covar

A possible solution?

Hail to the King baby!

The test video is brilliant. The bits of the gorilla whale you do see certainly look better than zilla did. Plus the bits in spoilers make it sound like we're going to get cool fight scenes. I'm hopeful, especially since we still have to wait another 2 years for Toho to bring the franchise back into production.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Heeeeeeeeeeeell yes! Robots fighting monsters straight up!

strawman

strawman

Dear Hollywood:

Nobody stores video on tape any longer, and digital signals don't have a problem with vertical hold, nevermind static.

If you are going to show these features of a supposedly unstable signal, please make sure you are using an old analog TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio, sitting on top of a VCR, with an obviously frayed video cable between the two, rather than a 16:9 HD digital image.

Thank you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Dear Hollywood:

Nobody stores video on tape any longer, and digital signals don't have a problem with vertical hold, nevermind static.

If you are going to show these features of a supposedly unstable signal, please make sure you are using an old analog TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio, sitting on top of a VCR, with an obviously frayed video cable between the two, rather than a 16:9 HD digital image.

Thank you.
Yeah, and telephones (even landlines) don't go back to a dialtone when you hang them up, but it's an accepted cinema tool. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, broadcast video long ago abandoned the quadruplex system, which means those "blurry" frames should tear the entire frame, they should not have multiple horizontal tears within the same frame.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

You know what else is true? I don't give a shit about any of these technical nitpicks and think the movie looks fun.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think anyone is holding it against the movie, just more of a general nitpick about hollywood in general.

On that note, Dear "found footage" movies. My video camera does not show the viewfinder options on the actual recorded tape/digital medium.

drifter

drifter

I felt the same way about the nitpicking in the World War Z thread. Different strokes for different folks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There's a world of difference between minor gripes about how broadcasts appear and the unbelievably stupid WWZ "zombie wave".

drifter

drifter

I have neither read WWZ nor am I particularly interested in the zombie genre as a whole, so the fact that it breaks from convention (or the stated lore from the book) doesn't particularly bother me. I also don't particularly care about the physical impossibility of the 'zombie wave' since it's not like reanimated, brain-eating corpses are all that close to reality.

I'd guess that for you, it breaks the reality of what is presented, the same way that the digital/analog mix-up makes stienman twitchy. I don't think the factor of improbability is what is important, it's the fact that it breaks immersion. For you, it's a dealbreaker; for me, it's just another ruleset I would accept as part of the presented world. For stienman, with his technical background, the tv thing is kinda bullshit; for Tress, it's just another visual cue. So like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I never read the books either, and I'm one of the few people that actually like some of the "fast zombie" movies. I think from a purely cinematic standpoint it looks retarded.

strawman

strawman

Meh, I just think it's funny. As drifter points out, it's like anything else in the movie. The director has a vision and wants to evoke certain emotions in the viewer. Same reason they use shakey cam - when we're running our vision may indeed shake, but our eyes and brain work together to present a steady image to ourselves, so the shakey cam is definitely not realistic, and since there aren't physical cues for our brain to work off it can make people sick.

But it's the vision they want to present, evoking the emotions they want to evoke. Same thing with hacker screens, impossible car crashes and explosions, etc.

evilmike

evilmike

The first trailer is up!

Espy

Espy

:aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :aaah:

drifter

drifter

ROCKETO PAAANCHU!

Bowielee

Bowielee

ROCKETO PAAANCHU!
Beat me to it.

Also... FUCK YEAH! I will watch the hell out of this.

GLaDOS is the voice of their computers!

Frank

Frank

Yeah, the only thing I noticed was GlaDOS.

That's rad.

Guillermo Del Toro is such a fucking nerd. I love that guy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I NEED to see this.

Dear Mayans,

Please do not end the world. At least not until this is released and I have time to see it. Thank you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I NEED to see this.

Dear Mayans,

Please do not end the world. At least not until this is released and I have time to see it. Thank you.
The world won't end, because TODAY WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow.

I don't even

I mean

Wow.

bhamv3

bhamv3

GLADOS GLADOS GLADOS!!!!

If that computer isn't at least a little snarky, I'm going to be very upset. Singing is also acceptable.

"Well it looks like despite your best efforts, which mainly involved lots of of you waddling around the water like an elephant seal, the monster is still alive. *clap* *clap* *clap* Oh good, my slow clap module still works."

Covar

Covar

Sad it's not Godzilla. All that being said, this looks awesome. I will definitely be going to see this.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Who wants to bet this makes MAD money in Japan?

Adam

Adam

That....That doesn't look good, at all. The concept is fun and neat but it looks really, really silly in execution.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That....That doesn't look good, at all. The concept is fun and neat but it looks really, really silly in execution.
Are you trying to imply a movie based on the spirit of cheesy godzilla movies is SILLY?

I say good day to you, sir.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Wow, that looks like I will actually be able to see those giant robots fight.... that's right, I am looking at you Transformers.

Adam

Adam

Are you trying to imply a movie based on the spirit of cheesy godzilla movies is SILLY?

I say good day to you, sir.
Except there's no cheese in that trailer at all. I will say the rocket punch is pretty damn cool but everything else is pretty serious-looking. Obviously the actual movie may incorporate more cheese.

As for the Transformers comparison, I see very little difference in the visibility of the robots; that last shot was no different than Transformers2 and Optimus being knocked across the highway.

Espy

Espy

-20 Espy Points.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Except there's no cheese in that trailer at all. I will say the rocket punch is pretty damn cool but everything else is pretty serious-looking. Obviously the actual movie may incorporate more cheese.
I'm reminded of how China Mieville described his novel, Kraken:

It's a dark comedy about a squid-worshipping cult and the end of the world. It takes the idea of the squid cult very seriously. Part of the appeal of the fantastic is taking ridiculous ideas very seriously and pretending they’re not absurd
Del Toro may share his perspective, I get that sort of feeling from the trailer.

Adam

Adam

I'm reminded of how China Mieville described his novel, Kraken:

Del Toro may share his perspective, I get that sort of feeling from the trailer.
I get a distinctly Independence Day feel from the trailer. Could be serious, could be cheesy, can't really tell. Will wait for the full movie. Honestly, I was excited about the movie until I saw the trailer, now I'm just slightly above ambivalent. Too many potentially good movies coming out next year.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Espy

Espy

GasBandit

GasBandit

No, NOW the first REAL trailer is up.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

GLADOS kind of took me off guard. To be honest it feels a little forced. I want GLADOS making tests and being snarky, not just a pure computer talking technical points of the suits. I kind of wish they changed it up a bit, like let Ellen McLain talk normally and then maybe have her talk in the GLADOS voice while malfunctioning as a nerd gag. The fact she sounds 100% GLADOS just throws me off. It would be like in WoW if Lorewalker Cho started talking like Winnie the Poo just because the voice actor was known for it.

Espy

Espy

Hey guys thats not actually GLADOS. It just sounds kind of like GLADOS because it's a computer generated voice and a lot of those sound similar. I think people might be playing that up a little more than it should be.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Actually I believe that is Ellen Mclain.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hey guys thats not actually GLADOS. It just sounds kind of like GLADOS because it's a computer generated voice and a lot of those sound similar. I think people might be playing that up a little more than it should be.
That is 100% Ellen McLain doing her GLADOS voice.

Espy

Espy

I'm not familiar with the actress, I figured it was just similar voice filtering techniques. Weird but... meh? Maybe I'm just not a big enough portal fan to be annoyed by this. I find the voice charming in the trailer just like I do in Portal. It would be a nice easter egg for it to somehow tie the universes together though... that would be fun.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm not familiar with the actress, I figured it was just similar voice filtering techniques. Weird but... meh? Maybe I'm just not a big enough portal fan to be annoyed by this. I find the voice charming in the trailer just like I do in Portal. It would be a nice easter egg for it to somehow tie the universes together though... that would be fun.
The issue is that GLaDOS is rather iconic by this point in nerd culture, so having her reprise the same voice for another random AI, I just feel that takes away from the movie more then it adds to it. Now anytime the AI talks all the nerds are going to be like "Haha it's GLADOS!" rather then paying attention to whats happening, then half-way through the movie after not hearing a single snarky line and just a bunch of "powering up suit reactors", people are going to be like "Why isn't she acting like GLADOS?"

Again, it's like how Blizzard recently got Jim Cummings to voice a character in WoW, Lorewalker Cho. They didn't just decide "Well, Pandaren are technically bears, so just do the Winnie the Poo voice.", they had him do a different voice.

Again, I would be fine if Ellen was talking normally and only through certain points spoke like GLaDOS to elicit a nerdgasm, but they instead decided "Well you are a computer, so just be GLaDOS."

LittleSin

LittleSin

What if...WHAT IF...the Portal Universe and this universe are connected.

After all, the monsters come through a huge fuckin' PORTAL.

Duuuudes.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

What if...WHAT IF...the Portal Universe and this universe are connected. After all, the monsters come through a huge fuckin' PORTAL.
PACIFIC RIM IS ACTUALLY HALF-LIFE 3

Best Youtube Comment Ever.
Cave Johnson here!

Lab boys say that you might have traveled into a parallel Universe, where moon rocks works like panacea, so I'm alive and laughing. They also mentioned that our fancy portal tech carrying ship has drowned. Not a big problem, though it made a huge problem, which is HUGE ALIENS! Our solution is simple: build HUGE ROBOTS and we'll put you inside them. Don't worry: Caroline and I will keep you safe. Oh, by the way, those mechs are covered in asbestos. Keeps off the rats.

Espy

Espy

The issue is that GLaDOS is rather iconic by this point in nerd culture, so having her reprise the same voice for another random AI, I just feel that takes away from the movie more then it adds to it. Now anytime the AI talks all the nerds are going to be like "Haha it's GLADOS!" rather then paying attention to whats happening, then half-way through the movie after not hearing a single snarky line and just a bunch of "powering up suit reactors", people are going to be like "Why isn't she acting like GLADOS?"

Again, it's like how Blizzard recently got Jim Cummings to voice a character in WoW, Lorewalker Cho. They didn't just decide "Well, Pandaren are technically bears, so just do the Winnie the Poo voice.", they had him do a different voice.

Again, I would be fine if Ellen was talking normally and only through certain points spoke like GLaDOS to elicit a nerdgasm, but they instead decided "Well you are a computer, so just be GLaDOS."
I understand the thought process, I just really don't think it's going to be an issue.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I understand the thought process, I just really don't think it's going to be an issue.
I will agree it won't for the majority, since most don't play Portal or Portal 2, but it will for me. Maybe I am just more sensative to it, it took me a few episodes of Adventure Time to stop thinking about Jake as "Bender as a magic dog with less vulgarity", but at the least he was a totally different type of character for the most part. AI character voicing another AI character is even worst.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Maybe she'll get snarky, that'd be awesome.

Espy

Espy

I will agree it won't for the majority, since most don't play Portal or Portal 2, but it will for me. Maybe I am just more sensative to it, it took me a few episodes of Adventure Time to stop thinking about Jake as "Bender as a magic dog with less vulgarity", but at the least he was a totally different type of character for the most part. AI character voicing another AI character is even worst.
Well, it's not that different from Tom Cruise playing a action guy in one film then a different action guy in another film when you think about it.

What I do get is that it can pull someone out of a movie. I really struggled with John Dimaggio (sp?) voicing the Joker in one of the animated Batman movies, because he just sounded like Bender to me. It was... weird.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well, it's not that different from Tom Cruise playing a action guy in one film then a different action guy in another film when you think about it.
It's a little different, mostly because I find it harder to suspend belief on voices since I know them specifically for the voice and the character they play with that voice. I can suspend belief when Tom Cruise plays two action guys because I can understand it's Tom Cruise. When you hear someone doing the same voice for two character you don't think "Oh Ellen McLain", you think "GLaDOS?"

I mean let us remove Ellen/GLaDOS, and instead the voice actor they got for the AI was Peter Cullen. doing the exact same voice as Optimus Prime. Do you think more people would be "Oh cool it's Peter Cullen" or more would be "OMG OPTIMUS PRIME" and get totally taken out because of how weird it was to have him in two totally different giant robot movies?

Even so some actors can be just as bad in some ways, like nearly every modern movie Nicholas Cage has done.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Nicholas Cage is Nicholas Cage in.. Nicholas Cage: The Cagening. This time... It's the same.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

What I do get is that it can pull someone out of a movie. I really struggled with John Dimaggio (sp?) voicing the Joker in one of the animated Batman movies, because he just sounded like Bender to me. It was... weird.
What's funny about Cruise is his next two action movie roles are named Jack, too. Jack Reacher and then another Jack in Oblivion.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nicholas Cage is Nicholas Cage in.. Nicholas Cage: The Cagening. This time... It's the same.
And awesome.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get enough of Nicholas Cage insanity. He's so bad, he wraps right back around to awesome.

strawman

strawman

When I saw the Star Trek movie I was worried about sylar/Spock.

Turned out that it wasn't a problem.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Also, I should think that for your example, Scythe, you're a bit over the top there... Jim Cummings is known for JUUUUUUST a bit more than merely Winnie the Pooh...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also, I should think that for your example, Scythe, you're a bit over the top there... Jim Cummings is known for JUUUUUUST a bit more than merely Winnie the Pooh...
How does this make it over the top? I am giving an example of how a voice actor using the SAME VOICE for a different character can be jolting, more so when used in different settings. I never said Jim Cummings was only known for Winnie the Poo, I am saying that him using the Winnie the Poo voice on another show/game just because he was playing another bear would be jolting.

Again, if Ellen used a different voice then GLaDOS I wouldn't have a problem.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

How does this make it over the top? I am giving an example of how a voice actor using the SAME VOICE for a different character can be jolting, more so when used in different settings. I never said Jim Cummings was only known for Winnie the Poo, I am saying that him using the Winnie the Poo voice on another show/game just because he was playing another bear would be jolting.

Again, if Ellen used a different voice then GLaDOS I wouldn't have a problem.
On the flip side, Seth McFarlane has like four voices that he uses for everything, and no one seems to mind.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

On the flip side, Seth McFarlane has like four voices that he uses for everything, and no one seems to mind.
To be fair though, he has only been in like three movies. One of which was a bit cameo as a Tooth Fairy illegal arms dealer. His biggest role was Ted, and frankly I didn't have any desire to see that movie, so thinking "Brian the Bear" was not an issue. Even then, Brian is his real voice, so it's less jarring then say, using Stewie or Peters voice for Ted.

I WANT to see Pacific Rim.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

To be fair though, he has only been in like three movies. One of which was a bit cameo as a Tooth Fairy illegal arms dealer. His biggest role was Ted, and frankly I didn't have any desire to see that movie, so thinking "Brian the Bear" was not an issue. Even then, Brian is his real voice, so it's less jarring then say, using Stewie or Peters voice for Ted.

I WANT to see Pacific Rim.
Ted was actually pretty good, and I'm not a fan of family guy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ted was actually pretty good, and I'm not a fan of family guy.
Same, I stopped really watching the show awhile back but holy hell Ted was hilarious.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I got all excited when I saw Legendary Pictures logo and the giant creature rising from the deep, because I thought it was finally a trailer for the Godzilla movie that Legendary has been working on for a couple of years.

Then it wasn't Godzilla and I let the hate fill me.

KCWM

KCWM

Getting butthurt that the voice is the same as glados because it's a big part of nerd culture is funny. This movie isn't being made for nerd culture, so the majority of the people watching it aren't going to have ANY idea who she is and the computer suddenly getting snarky is going to pull THEM out of the movie. Who do you think Hollywood cares about? The nerds or the rest of the movie watching world? Yeah, easy answer there.

Espy

Espy

True, BUT Del Toro is a giant nerd. A giant amongst nerds. A nerdy giant.

I'm guessing he just thought it would super cool to have the actress of something his nerdy self loves doing the voice in something his nerdy self is making. This guy is and always will be a supremely awesome nerd. This is his way of saying, hey, you like Glados? ME TOOOOOOOO! :awesome:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Getting butthurt that the voice is the same as glados because it's a big part of nerd culture is funny. This movie isn't being made for nerd culture, so the majority of the people watching it aren't going to have ANY idea who she is and the computer suddenly getting snarky is going to pull THEM out of the movie. Who do you think Hollywood cares about? The nerds or the rest of the movie watching world? Yeah, easy answer there.
While it obviously is being made to appeal to a wide audience, it would be rather bold to say it was not being made to also appeal to nerd culture. GLaDOS was picked specifically for the nerd cred, and even the massive aliens are called Kaiju, after the the famous giant monsters of Japanese film, like Godzilla. Only a nerd would even get that. I shouldn't even need to mention the fact that giant robots PUNCHING alien monsters to death with rocket propelled fists is rather geek-tastic.

In the end I will feel how I wish to feel about it. I am sure it will be a fun movie regardless, but every time GLaDOS talks I am going to be weirded out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I agree. They could easily have asked Ellen Mclain to do a different voice. The fact that she's doing her Glados voice tells me they wanted the Glados reference in there.

I, however, will giggle with glee every time I hear the Glados voice, because it's awesome.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait a minute...aliens...from another dimension. Why does that sound famili-

Wow....Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles movie took a weirder direction than we thought it would.

T

The_Khan

I think you'll just have to make up different dialogue in your head, like I do whenever I see Samuel L Jackson in Star Wars.

The Sith are going DOWN mothra farker!

and I think anyone in Japan would understand the Kaiju reference.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Ellen's voice in the trailer was made to sound like GlaDOS, it will sound slightly different in the actual movie.

http://kotaku.com/5973435/glados-did-appear-in-pacific-rims-trailer-but-wont-return-for-the-movie

Espy

Espy

He's such a geek. I love it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So Pacific Rim is still the secret 6th season of Sons of Anarchy?

Espy

Espy

Okay, am I the only one who hates Charlie Hunnams fake american accent? It drives me nuts in Sons of Anarchy.

Calleja

Calleja

Okay, am I the only one who hates Charlie Hunnams fake american accent? It drives me nuts in Sons of Anarchy.
Again, Like is Agree. The dude can barely hold the accent when he screams, and his character screams ALL THE TIME.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I love how all the SoA outtakes are him completely forgetting to even try to fake his accent.

Espy

Espy

And he's doing it in Pacific Rim!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH. Why can't he just be british! GAH!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I have wondered about the "british must speak American" thing for a while now.

I buy that they want American audiences to relate as much as possible, but is that still really something that is an issue? Chris Hemsworth tones down the Aussie thing a bit as Thor, but not to the point where it's gone.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hugh Laurie spoiled everyone with his American accent.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I have wondered about the "british must speak American" thing for a while now.

I buy that they want American audiences to relate as much as possible, but is that still really something that is an issue? Chris Hemsworth tones down the Aussie thing a bit as Thor, but not to the point where it's gone.
He's also, y'know, playing a alien Norse god. Meanwhile, especially since Idris Elba isn't using an American accent in the trailer, I assume that Charlie Hunnam's character is supposed to be American, where a British accent doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I've never had a problem with Hunnam's accent (didn't even know it was fake), so I'll be alright with it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He's also, y'know, playing a alien Norse god. Meanwhile, especially since Idris Elba isn't using an American accent in the trailer, I assume that Charlie Hunnam's character is supposed to be American, where a British accent doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I've never had a problem with Hunnam's accent (didn't even know it was fake), so I'll be alright with it.
And Hunnam is playing a Power Ranger in a fancy suit, what's the difference? It's not like he's playing a detective in Gangster Squad.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

And Hunnam is playing a Power Ranger in a fancy suit, what's the difference? It's not like he's playing a detective in Gangster Squad.
He's playing one of the two pilots of the specifically American (as opposed to the Russian, Japanese, or Chinese) super robot. The character was likely written to be an American, especially since, like I said, they don't have any problem with Idris Elba keeping his British accent. Being one of the main characters, it's also not unlikely that we'll get some backstory from him, which could well include details that don't fit someone from England or anywhere else where he would likely pick up a British accent.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Oh come on, it's a SF action movie that takes place in the Pacific and isn't tied to any outstanding franchise or story, backstories can easily get re-written. It's not exactly Batman, with an established characterization and locality.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh come on, it's a SF action movie that takes place in the Pacific and isn't tied to any outstanding franchise or story, backstories can easily get re-written. It's not exactly Batman, with an established characterization and locality.
From stories I've heard in the industry, it could very well be subject to the whim of one psychotic coked-up producer (cough*JohnPeters*cough) who wants something ridiculous ("GIANT FUCKIN SPIDER") in the movie and woe betide any who defy him.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Except that unless a character detail was just choosen at random, there's often a reason for that character detail, which the director may not want to change. I'm not sure why you're so against the idea that a character may be intended to be from a certain country (or similarly be a certain race or gender). Depending on the situation, those details may well be entirely unimportant and they may take whichever actor fits the actually relevant characteristics, but in other cases, the director's view of the character may involve a specific match on one of those details.

Espy

Espy

I just re-watched undeclared and in it Hunnam's british character has this terrible american accent he jokes around with.

It is, sadly, the same terrible american accent he now uses.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, I'm going with the Giant Fucking Spider theory.

Calleja

Calleja

I thought Del Toro had total control?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ellen's voice in the trailer was made to sound like GlaDOS, it will sound slightly different in the actual movie.

http://kotaku.com/5973435/glados-did-appear-in-pacific-rims-trailer-but-wont-return-for-the-movie
Hey, I found one of us in the comments:

Chad_Sexington 2 days ago
cue comments about the amaziningness of valve and how tasty Gabe Newells flacid penis tastes
EDIT: And Gabe Newell's penis tastes like cherries.

strawman

strawman

I give you an american faking a frenchman trying to fake american:

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I thought Del Toro had total control?
Del Toro could be the one responsible for it, with an irrational, unwavering desire for the lead pilot of an American war machine to be American. Totally seems comparable to wanting to insert a "Giant Fucking Spider" in a superman movie. Crazy idea to hire an actor to play a defined character, rather than just re-writing the character to match whatever actor you hire, letting them play themselves within the movie plot.

:facepalm:

T

The_Khan

Man I really hope they do a good job with RIM. I really want to be satisfied by their hard work.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, del Toro has just confirmed that he is making his dark mystical DC Comics movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98604

Not much word, other than that the superteam line-up for the film is Swamp Thing, Etrigan, John Constantine, Deadman, the Spectre, Zatanna and her father John Zatara.

T

The_Khan

Also, del Toro has just confirmed that he is making his dark mystical DC Comics movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98604

Not much word, other than that the superteam line-up for the film is Swamp Thing, Etrigan, John Constantine, Deadman, the Spectre, Zatanna and her father John Zatara.
Wow that's awesome. Del Toro, you're awesome.

Calleja

Calleja

Del Toro could be the one responsible for it, with an irrational, unwavering desire for the lead pilot of an American war machine to be American. Totally seems comparable to wanting to insert a "Giant Fucking Spider" in a superman movie. Crazy idea to hire an actor to play a defined character, rather than just re-writing the character to match whatever actor you hire, letting them play themselves within the movie plot.

I don't like your tone, bitch.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I wasn't really directing it at you, was mainly just using your post as a jumping off point.

drifter

drifter

Dude...

Calleja

Calleja

Bitch, please.[DOUBLEPOST=1357633737][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wasn't really directing it at you, was mainly just using your post as a jumping off point.
Well, you weren't being very reverent, were you?

Bitch.

(sorry, been re-watching Breaking Bad)

evilmike

evilmike

The trailer that was released at CES (now in HD):

evilmike

evilmike

Another con trailer

Espy

Espy

CHARLIE!!!!!! Doing some Charlie work![DOUBLEPOST=1367270683][/DOUBLEPOST]Also: HOLY SHIT

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Any nerd who isn't TOTALLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW should promptly hand in their nerd card.

Tress

Tress

I
Any nerd who isn't TOTALLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW should promptly hand in their nerd card.
I have a jackass friend who is boycotting this movie (supposedly) because Del Toro didn't admit that he "totally ripped of Evangelion."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh for Christ sake. (To your friend, of course, not you.) It's people in giant robot suits fighting giant monsters. That's not an idea that's exclusive to Evangelion.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I thought the fact the monsters are called Kaiju made it pretty obvious this is a sort of love letter to the Japanese monster movies of days past. Even the fact the monsters seem to come in many different shapes and sizes (one even had wings in that new trailer) really makes me imagine those crazy battle royales between monsters and robots that defined franchises like Godzilla or Ultraman.

Tress

Tress

Oh for Christ sake. (To your friend, of course, not you.) It's people in giant robot suits fighting giant monsters. That's not an idea that's exclusive to Evangelion.
I thought the fact the monsters are called Kaiju made it pretty obvious this is a sort of love letter to the Japanese monster movies of days past. Even the fact the monsters seem to come in many different shapes and sizes (one even had wings in that new trailer) really makes me imagine those crazy battle royales between monsters and robots that defined franchises like Godzilla or Ultraman.
I argued both these points. He's just kind of a dumbass about things like this.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I, for one, am delighted that the Glados voice appears to have been kept.

I hope the movie doesn't have mostly night-time fight scenes though. I want to see the fights as clearly as possible.

Frank

Frank

I
I have a jackass friend who is boycotting this movie (supposedly) because Del Toro didn't admit that he "totally ripped of Evangelion."
This seems to be a pretty common perception.

It's also completely fucking ridiculous.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I can't see this opening day, as it's my daughter's birthday, and my wife would have my head on a platter.

However, there's enough guys on my watch looking forward to this that I might be organizing a watch party to go see it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

All this movie needs is to be revealed as the secret official grown-up sequel to Power Rangers, and we're done.

Shawn

Shawn

WANT!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I can't see this opening day, as it's my daughter's birthday, and my wife would have my head on a platter.

However, there's enough guys on my watch looking forward to this that I might be organizing a watch party to go see it.
Man, I would not want to be the guy that tries to sneak in hooch or pot, talks during the movie, or is in any way obnoxious during THAT viewing.

Dave

Dave

I'm sorry, but I'm kinda "meh" on this. I also hated the Transformers movies. I'm mostly interested in how they run the dual pilot thing. But monsters of this size are unsustainable physiologically.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm mostly interested in how they run the dual pilot thing.
GATTAI!!!!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm sorry, but I'm kinda "meh" on this. I also hated the Transformers movies. I'm mostly interested in how they run the dual pilot thing. But monsters of this size are unsustainable physiologically.
Dude, this is clearly not Transformers. For starters, the CGI action in this doesn't look like two globs of metal rubbing up against each other.

Dave

Dave

Dude, this is clearly not Transformers. For starters, the CGI action in this doesn't look like two globs of metal rubbing up against each other.
I know, but I prefer movies that are more than just all "GRAAAH!! CGI!!!!!" with the humans just there to make overacted and cliched lines. That's what this seems to be to me.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Don't. Care.

Giant Robots versus Kaiju. Your argument is invalid.

Espy

Espy

Eh, it's Del Toro, the man is in love with story, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

T

The_Khan

Eh, it's Del Toro, the man is in love with story, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it.
so much this.

Go in expecting a long movie aout giant ass robots fighting giant ass monsters, end up watching a movie about a schizophrenic child that uses fantasy to escape the brutality of fascism.

Shawn

Shawn

so much this.

Go in expecting a long movie aout giant ass robots fighting giant ass monsters, end up watching a movie about a schizophrenic child that uses fantasy to escape the brutality of fascism.
Hey. At the end there, you totally have to question if it was completely fantasy.

T

The_Khan

Hey. At the end there, you totally have to question if it was completely fantasy.
I loved that movie. I hope that something similar happens with pacific rim (as in a movie larger than its genre) Hell even if Del Toro just made a dumb action movie, I would be pretty happy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Pan's Labyrinth is probably one of the best fantasy films ever made.

Espy

Espy

I loved that movie. I hope that something similar happens with pacific rim (as in a movie larger than its genre) Hell even if Del Toro just made a dumb action movie, I would be pretty happy.
Well, I expect this to be a pretty solid genre flick but I know we will see the Del Toro touches to the genre and that excites me.

Pan's Labyrinth is probably one of the best fantasy films ever made.
Ditto.

Shawn

Shawn

I've never been too disappointed with a Del Toro film. Hellboy 2 isn't one of my favorites, mostly because of what he did with all the characters. Abe is a complete love-sick loon through most of the film. Hellboy is even whiner than he was in the first film. I HATE that Hellboy and Manning don't have that same sense of respect they garnered for each other at the end of the first film. Krauss was awesome until he and everyone else decides to quit the department. So yeah. Not my favorite.
What did I like? What I always like. Del Toro's love of monsters and detail. Specially when he decides to go practical effects and make-up. His movies, while not always character-strong, are certainly always beautiful.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I thought the first Hellboy was excellent.

Espy

Espy

Once I, and it was hard, divorced the film version of Hellboy from the comic I was able to roll with everything different way better. The only thing I still struggled with was Hellboy and Liz gittin' it on.

Ew.

Other than that the first film was probably one of the best comic book movies ever and the second amplified that by about a zillion.

But I understand why some wouldn't care for them.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Even though it's OOC compared to the comics, this scene still cracks me the fuck up.

Shawn

Shawn

I suppose i forgot to specify that it was Hellboy 2 i disliked. The first one is gold.

Covar

Covar

Reading the Rotten Tomato blurbs, even the negative reviews make me want to see this movie.

$4B2192780AC2639F.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Reading the Rotten Tomato blurbs, even the negative reviews make me want to see this movie.

View attachment 11308
I'm sold.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's a BAD review?!

Frank

Frank

Wasn't that the entire point of the movie? Isn't that Del Toro's entire intention?

This movie is exactly as it's advertised and presented as, -2 stars!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Hey, if what I have seen is what I will get, I'm glad to know that I'm not missing out on anything.

*edit* That is to say, it doesn't seem like going to see it will give me much more than I saw in the trailers, so I'll pass.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's a BAD review?!
Agreed. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Friday night or Saturday morning, my wife and I are there.

Espy

Espy

Uuuuuuuuugh. No babysitter right now means no movie. :( Our normal babysitter is out of town and our other babysitter isn't available during any of the showtimes next week.

LAME.

Shawn

Shawn

Friend and I will be catching a matinee sometime next week. Woo!

strawman

strawman

Uuuuuuuuugh. No babysitter right now means no movie. :( Our normal babysitter is out of town and our other babysitter isn't available during any of the showtimes next week.

LAME.
Now, see, if you'd outsourced your baby, like LittleKagsin, you wouldn't be in this pinch.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This.
And this.

:aaah:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Seeing it tomorrow night - Theater near my house is having a 10pm showing.

Fuck. The Hell. Yes.

Far

Far

Tanker sword.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I am catching the 7:05 screening tonight.

Espy

Espy

I HATE YOU ALL

Cajungal

Cajungal

WOOO! If Jake's double shift wraps up early enough we'll catch it tonight!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Just got back. Del Toro and his team have crafted a great world, with equally good characters and action, to fill it within a really good story. Well worth seeing and go support something that is both original and good this summer.

Personal favorite touch: deep bass drums in the score that remind me of Godzilla.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I HATE YOU ALL

If it makes you feel any better, the soonest I'll be able to see it myself is Sunday. Because work sucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1373599569][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, anyone who sees this: please tell me whether the 3D is worth it or not. I fucking hate 3D with a passion and wish it would go away. The ONLY viewing time available on Sunday that's NOT 3D is 12:50 PM, while the 3D version has three showings.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If it makes you feel any better, the soonest I'll be able to see it myself is Sunday. Because work sucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1373599569][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, anyone who sees this: please tell me whether the 3D is worth it or not. I fucking hate 3D with a passion and wish it would go away. The ONLY viewing time available on Sunday that's NOT 3D is 12:50 PM, while the 3D version has three showings.
I won't get to see it until Saturday, but I will tell you this--there are night fights in this movie. The mechanism for the 3D effect muddies colors and darkens the screen. Some of the night scenes for Pirates of the Caribbean 4 were practically indiscernible in 3D. So if you choose 3D for this, you're risking seeing less at times when the film is darker.

Wife and I are hitting a 2D matinee. I wouldn't have minded seeing this in iMax, but they only have 3D iMax--not happening.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I can say that the 3D was good. Even though the fights do tend to be night, they still look good and the 3D effect is not hindered.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can say that the 3D was good. Even though the fights do tend to be night, they still look good and the 3D effect is not hindered.
The 3D's effect being hindered isn't the issue; it's general visibility that tends to get dimmer when you do 3D + night.

But I haven't seen this movie yet. I can only go on the past.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Is it important to the movie, though? For example, if you watched this without the 3D, would it lessen the entertainment or narrative value of the movie?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Is it important to the movie, though? For example, if you watched this without the 3D, would it lessen the entertainment or narrative value of the movie?

It's a movie about giant robots fighting sea monsters. I don't think 3D is going to enhance or hinder its artistic narrative.

That said, I don't think 3D ever has, for any movie, so... yeah.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Go see this movie. I really can't think of a movie that was more fun to watch in the last 5 years.

strawman

strawman

One of the reviewers I follow said this:

Let me get this bit over with: to my mind, every technological advance necessary to create a walking mech will be obviated by better uses of that advance. As my friend Dave put it so brilliantly several years ago, (and I paraphrase) "If your tech is so superior that you can get away with giant killer robots, the only reason to use them is for sheer intimidation. This means that what you should be building is giant killer robot clowns."

The point is, when I see giant robots I write them off as "magic" and then watch them fight. It looks cool when they do that. In that frame of mind, and attending a late show with my 18-year-old daughter and 15-year-old son, the film was awesome. I had a blast.

I can imagine a frame of mind in which I'd enjoy the film much less.

Look, if you don't love kaiju (the giant monster genre), this just isn't going to be your movie. If you do love kaiju, nothing I say will keep you out of the theater. Am I right? Of course I'm right. Why are you still here? Go buy tickets already.

The story? VERY PREDICTABLE, especially if you're familiar with the genre. Lots of the kaiju tropes were there, and that's fine. It's familiar. There were some "why don't they just lead with THAT next time" moments, and that's its own trope. Many of you would be disappointed if it were absent.

The visuals? Beautiful. We saw the film in 3D and that added a lot. If you can stomach 3D, this is a good film to spend the extra money on.

Pacific Rim comes in at #5 for me this year. Respectable! It cleared the Threshold of Awesome!
Looks like 3D is well used.

Espy

Espy

The 3D's effect being hindered isn't the issue; it's general visibility that tends to get dimmer when you do 3D + night.

But I haven't seen this movie yet. I can only go on the past.
Not if the filmmakers plan for it. A lot of that bad 3D was when everyone just started post converting movies as a cash grab. The filmmakers didn't plan for the movie to be in 3D so it wasn't shot for it. Thats not as big an issue anymore.

Also, a lot of theaters have crappy bulbs in their projectors to save money or because they are lazy, if you have one of those at your showing it's all going to look dimmer.

strawman

strawman

The one nice thing about imax is that they control enough of the projector itself that you don't have to worry too much about dim bulbs or poor sound systems. They are audited.

Too bad they still use the older polarized glasses that bleed when you tilt your head...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I might have to drive to a bigger town and see this in 3D.

Far

Far

The one nice thing about imax is that they control enough of the projector itself that you don't have to worry too much about dim bulbs or poor sound systems. They are audited.

Too bad they still use the older polarized glasses that bleed when you tilt your head...
Not saying its like this at all theatres but at mine, and the company I work for, we don't own our projectors and if a bulb were to shatter after going over it's lamp life, which is tracked by the projectors themselves and alert us as to when they need to be changed. If a bulb bursts past it's life while in the projector, we, at theatre level, pay for all repairs and if damaged enough, a whole new projector and they are not cheap. So there is definitely some incentive beyond just wanting to provide the best show possible to maintaning the bulbs.

Generally bulbs are changed out about 200 lamp hours before warrently recomends and could feasible run without much issue for another 500. They don't start dimming until then but are checked weekly to assess bulb life as there are, but rarely, faulty bulbs. Those you would usually find within a few hours of striking though.

Another issue that may cause poor brightness is a cracked or damaged reflector dish, which can occur if the exhaust fan isn't turned on at the start of the day and will take upwards of a week to get fixed here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hell, anyone who's run a home theater projector can tell you bulbs Ain't Cheap and are a BFD.

Far

Far

I can't recall the price of our bulbs but I'm pretty sure they are upwards of 5k.

strawman

strawman

A discount site lists a sony SRXT420 4k projector bulb at over $3k. $5k wouldn't surprise me for a theater grade bulb.

Tress

Tress

Just saw the movie. I thought it was great.

Strengths:
  • The action scenes are spectacular. They are clear, dynamic, and interesting. Other directors should take note: this is how you film fight scenes.
  • The visuals are stunning. The use of color is especially great.
  • The homage factor: it's obvious this was made by someone who loves the kaiju and mecha genres. If you are like me and are a big fan of those genres as well, you will be satisfied.
  • The actors are all solid. No Oscar nominees here, but no one's acting is poor. Everyone does a servicible job.
  • There are a few witty moments sprinkled in. You might even laugh a few times.
Flaws:
  • The dialogue is, as you probably already heard, very cheesy. I ignored this because, quite frankly, I wasn't there to enjoy dialogue. YMMV.
  • The ending has a few "WTF" moments, even for a film about giant robots punching giant monsters.
  • The intro was too short in my opinion. I wanted to see more of the first appearance of the kaiju.
So that's basically it. A great, entertaining film with a few flaws. It's pretty much everything you would expect.

Also, I saw it in 3D. I did feel like the 3D was used well, and at no point in time did it look dark or muddy. It added depth to the film, and there were no cheesy "Look out a thing is flying at your face!" moments. The visuals looked nice through and through. Having said all that, I don't think it's necessary. I think it would still be enjoyable in standard.

One last thing: To all the neckbeards out there. If your B.O. and/or bad breath are so disgusting that I can smell you while you're two rows behind me, then something needs to change.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'll be going to see this either tomorrow or Sunday. Really looking forward to it. I very nearly went last night despite my best friend wanting to go this weekend.

Cajungal

Cajungal

So much silly fun.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

trying not to read this thread. sitting here at the movie tavern in fort worth tx having a drink before i go watch this movie. didn't want to see it in 3d but that is the only showing that was playing left tonight here at this movie theater and i can't bring myself to go anywhere else anymore. gotta love a theater with actual comfortable seats, serves food and has a full bar.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

trying not to read this thread. sitting here at the movie tavern in fort worth tx having a drink before i go watch this movie. didn't want to see it in 3d but that is the only showing that was playing left tonight here at this movie theater and i can't bring myself to go anywhere else anymore. gotta love a theater with actual comfortable seats, serves food and has a full bar.

Spoiler: Giant mechs fight giant monsters.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Man, I already saw that in the trailer. MOVIE RUINED.

Frank

Frank

You mean the US military doesn't BRING THE RAIN and win the day? Fuck this, where's Transformers 4?

Tress

Tress

You mean the US military doesn't BRING THE RAIN and win the day? Fuck this, where's Transformers 4?
Well, the US jaeger is the main focus of the movie, so... kinda. But not really.

I did notice that there are no jaegers from Central or South America in the main storyline. All they get is a brief mention*. Apparently Latin America can go screw itself.

From what I can tell, many of the shots of destroyed jaegers were from South America along with a few from North America. And Canada gets shit on constantly. The kaiju seem to have a taste for poutine.

Frank

Frank

Well, I meant an AC-130 with lots of lens flare and not a mech that is the star of the movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Got back a little while ago. Most of it is exactly what you expect--no more, no less.

That said, Del Toro managed to squeeze in some of his personal visual touches that we've seen in many of of his other movies, and some of the non-giant mech vs giant monster scenes seem to be more what Del Toro would have done if this was one of his own projects. They're fun scenes--all sides of the movie compliment the others. There aren't any boring parts, not even the talking bits, so there's one Godzilla movie trope it didn't follow.

The fights were fantastic. Hell, just them suiting up the first time was awesome, before one Jaeger confronts a monster. Great music, I'm still rocking to it an hour and a half after the movie ended. It's a really easy movie to get into and get behind everyone in it. There's also some interesting stuff with the neural interface--I was afraid the movie was going to skimp on this, but it was paid attention and made interesting.

Ending stuff

The wormhole and the alien world were something else. I love how the one alien kind of looks at Gipsy Danger in semi-awe, before realizing what's going to happen, as if it was marveling at the work of another lifeform.

And on a side-note, what idiot in this world thought it would matter if they put up a fucking wall? They'd seen how the kaiju wrecked buildings--the wall was just as ineffective. So stupid.

Tress

Tress

...and some of the non-giant mech vs giant monster scenes seem to be more what Del Toro would have done if this was one of his own projects.
I don't understand... he directed, produced, and co-wrote the screenplay for the movie. How was this not one of his own projects?
Ending stuff

And on a side-note, what idiot in this world thought it would matter if they put up a fucking wall? They'd seen how the kaiju wrecked buildings--the wall was just as ineffective. So stupid.
I thought that was odd as well. I mean, if it was a wall covered in giant cannons firing on the kaiju while it tried to break through, I could maybe see the logic. Even then it would be questionable. But just building a giant wall? It was obviously huge since it lasted an hour of the kaiju just hammering away (that's what it said on the news report in the film), but there's no way a giant wall was ever going to work.

D

Dubyamn

I don't understand... he directed, produced, and co-wrote the screenplay for the movie. How was this not one of his own projects?

I thought that was odd as well. I mean, if it was a wall covered in giant cannons firing on the kaiju while it tried to break through, I could maybe see the logic. Even then it would be questionable. But just building a giant wall? It was obviously huge since it lasted an hour of the kaiju just hammering away (that's what it said on the news report in the film), but there's no way a giant wall was ever going to work.
I had figured it was a little bit of social commentary about a different wall. It also gave the Jaeger program and awesome feeling of being the complete underdogs.

I loved the movie. Not a smart movie by any means but the action was perfectly done and I was able to keep track of who was fighting and how the fight was going. Though the last fight I couldn't readily tell which was the even bigger Kaiju.

I would watch movies about:
1. The other Jaeger teams
2. The first kaiju attack
3. the building of the first jaegers
4. the engineering marvel that was the elbow rocket

Pretty much if they continue going back to this well I will support them fully.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Funny quote from the Cinema Snob midnight screening:

"People who don't like this movie don't like joy. And fuck them."

Far

Far

As much as I loved it, and I did, I would be really happy if it did not get milked. I would buy scale models of the Jaegers in a heartbeat though.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just got back from it, myself. Not only was it flipping awesome the whole way through, I made me totally feel like a giddy 5-year old. In fact, I loved it so much that I immediately went to Toys R Us (which was almost directly opposite the theatre in the mall) to see if they had Pacific Rim toys.

They don't. :( I don't even know if someone is making them. Because cripes, I want one! Make them big and then have human figures inside.

Frank

Frank

It's not doing so well. Which is sad.

GROWN UPS 2 AMIRITE?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's doing well and will (hopefully) make its budget back by the end of the weekend, but it's not doing gangbuster business.

I get the feeling it'll be kind of like Batman Begins: not a fantastic opening, but word of mouth shoots it back up. Plus, like Avengers, I think it'll get a LOT of people doing repeat viewings. I know I plan on seeing it at LEAST a second time.

Also, is it out overseas yet? Because I see China and Japan loving the HELL out of this. Japan, especially, for obvious reasons.

Frank

Frank

Big blockbuster opening at 3rd place is not really doing well, I'm sure most of the studio folks are pissed.

But yeah, hopefully it has legs.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh man oh man, I just got back from this.

First things first. I know I normally shit on 3D. I hate 3D. I don't think it adds to movies, I don't like how it makes everything darker, blah blah blah.

I saw this in 3D and LOVED IT. The 3D effects are perfectly used, the lighting of the overall film doesn't make it too dark, and the fact that most of the action happens at night makes the added darkness thematically fitting. I did peek over my glasses during the night scenes and noticed how BRIGHT it was for night, so obviously they had this in mind when filming. The added depth really did add to the monumental feel of everything, I loved it.

Second, OMG GIANT ROBOTS! I expected this to be a dumb, fun action movie, and it was. I didn't expect to be a giddy little kid jumping in my seat. This movie is pure, unadulterated joy. It was made with absolute love of the genre, and it shows in every single scene.

Goddamn I miss my Power Rangers toys. THANKS MOM FOR THROWING THEM AWAY.

RRRRRRROOOCKET PUUUUNCHU!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://necaonline.com/41110/product...es/pacific-rim-18-gipsy-danger-action-figure/

Is it wrong to want one of these, even at 35 years old?

Because the only thing I see wrong with wanting this is that it would need an 18" Kaiju to go with it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Two word review.

Fucking awesome.

klew

klew

Good fun, if you can ignore the mediocre writing and appreciate giant robots fighting giant beasts from a wide enough angle to see the actual fight.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Good fun, if you can ignore the mediocre writing and appreciate giant robots fighting giant beasts from a wide enough angle to see the actual fight.

I thought the writing was great. Is it cheesy and full of tropes? Yes. Is this entirely on purpose because it's a love letter to a cheesy genre? Yes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You went into this for the writing?! What is wrong with you!? :p

Tress

Tress

Where a movie places is not important. First, third, eighth, whatever. The only thing important is that the movie make money. And unfortunately, Pacific Rim has only made something in the $40 million range. The budget was at least $200 million, so that's a low total for a big sci-fi action flick in a prime summer slot. This thing had better have legs in the box office, or we will not see a sequel.

And now it's time for my rant. Fuck you, average audience. Fuck you all. Apparently Pacific Rim isn't doing well because it's not a sequel, it's not based on a popular book/tv show/whatever, and it doesn't have a big name star attached to it. How dare something be original and different, amirite? Instead you dumb mouthbreathing fucks are all flocking to Grown-Ups 2 (and Despicable Me 2, which I get because it's something for the kids). Grown-Ups 2? The first was shit, Adam Sandler hasn't made a good movie in over a decade, and you're all fucking morons. That is all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373852869][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's doing well and will (hopefully) make its budget back by the end of the weekend...
what.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Grown-ups 2 currently has a 7% rotten tomatoes rating.

Tress

Tress

Grown-ups 2 currently has a 7% rotten tomatoes rating.
HAHA THE CHEERLEADERS AT THE CARWASH ARE GAY LOL.

Idiots. :facepalm:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Where a movie places is not important. First, third, eighth, whatever. The only thing important is that the movie make money. And unfortunately, Pacific Rim has only made something in the $40 million range. The budget was at least $200 million, so that's a low total for a big sci-fi action flick in a prime summer slot. This thing had better have legs in the box office, or we will not see a sequel.

And now it's time for my rant. Fuck you, average audience. Fuck you all. Apparently Pacific Rim isn't doing well because it's not a sequel, it's not based on a popular book/tv show/whatever, and it doesn't have a big name star attached to it. How dare something be original and different, amirite? Instead you dumb mouthbreathing fucks are all flocking to Grown-Ups 2 (and Despicable Me 2, which I get because it's something for the kids). Grown-Ups 2? The first was shit, Adam Sandler hasn't made a good movie in over a decade, and you're all fucking morons. That is all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373852869][/DOUBLEPOST]

what.

It's made twice that, counting international. $91.3 million so far.

Tress

Tress

It's made twice that, counting international. $91.3 million so far.
Oh, I see that now. Thanks for pointing it out. It makes me feel a little better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh, I see that now. Thanks for pointing it out. It makes me feel a little better.

Also keep in mind that - so far as I know - it hasn't open up yet in China or Japan, where it will do CRAZY business.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also keep in mind that - so far as I know - it hasn't open up yet in China or Japan, where it will do CRAZY business.

China's mech jaeger was the coolest, anyway.

Tress

Tress

China's mech jaeger was the coolest, anyway.
I thought Russia's was hilarious. A giant, ugly piece of shit that was so heavily armored that it just out-survived most things. Sounds like almost every Russian military vehicle ever made (especially their tanks).

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I thought Russia's was hilarious. A giant, ugly piece of shit that was so heavily armored that it just out-survived most things. Sounds like almost every Russian military vehicle ever made (especially their tanks).

I loved that the inside, and their suits, looked like a tank. It was very fitting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I know they had to focus on the two main characters for the movie, but I kinda wished we'd seen more of the other Jaeger pilots.

Actually, one thing that bugged me was near the end, where they had that big father-son moment with the other pilots. They barely spent much time on them and all of a sudden, we're supposed to give a crap about this heart-warming moment?

Tress

Tress

I could go for a prequel that shows more about the first kaiju attack, building the first jaegers and the earlier battles, and just more background. It's a fascinating world del Toro created.

klew

klew

I could go for a prequel that shows more about the first kaiju attack, building the first jaegers and the earlier battles, and just more background. It's a fascinating world del Toro created.
Lots of potential there, even from a scientific standpoint. I would guess they would have tried numerous ways to seal, bury, or destroy the breach. Autopsies of kaiju would be a worldwide fascination. Space exploration would die as ocean exploration grew exponentially. How long would political barriers last before everyone accepted this was a threat to the whole planet, not just those countries around the Pacific Rim?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was impressed that he managed to create a world in which giant battle mechs seems perfectly normal, and was able to sell it to its audience in a fairly short amount of time.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As always, Ron Perlman was awesome.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wasn't able to see it this weekend, so probably going to go the coming weekend, but there's one thing I really need to know first...

Does the GLADOS voice make it to the final film?

Because if not, I'm not watching this movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's not doing so well. Which is sad.

GROWN UPS 2 AMIRITE?
Gist of the Cinema Snob rating was that it makes anything look like Citizen Kane and was one of the worst movies they'd been subjected to.

My twin 11-year-old cousins wanted to see Grown Ups 2 before we took them mini-golfing instead. I recounted to them the opening the review describes--a deer wanders into the house and pisses all over Adam Sandler. They started cackling. So Despicable Me 2 isn't the only thing for kids in theaters.

-_-[DOUBLEPOST=1373859008][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wasn't able to see it this weekend, so probably going to go the coming weekend, but there's one thing I really need to know first...

Does the GLADOS voice make it to the final film?

Because if not, I'm not watching this movie.
It does. Even gets a couple funny lines, though not GLaDOS-type of funny.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It does. Even gets a couple funny lines, though not GLaDOS-type of funny.
Good. I'll be seeing it then.

Also, I thought the first Grown Ups movie was a horrible and awkward experience to sit through. I can't imagine treating my friends like that and not have the crap beaten out of me. They tried to portray it as good-natured horseplay, but it just looked like a bunch of assholes being assholes to each other.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, I thought the first Grown Ups movie was a horrible and awkward experience to sit through. I can't imagine treating my friends like that and not have the crap beaten out of me. They tried to portray it as good-natured horseplay, but it just looked like a bunch of assholes being assholes to each other.
Apparently for the sequel they have Sandler being outright sadistic to both friends and family. CO-ME-DY!

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, it was a documentary about those actors then?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I thought the writing was great. Is it cheesy and full of tropes? Yes. Is this entirely on purpose because it's a love letter to a cheesy genre? Yes.
This is what I tell people who don't -get- Cabin in the Woods. Perfectly put.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wouldn't even say it's cheesy. It's over the top, to be sure, but I think it's more "wearing the fun on their sleeve" and just letting loose to have fun with the whole thing. It's more earnest than cheesy, without a shred of irony.

Espy

Espy

Sooooooo... I got done ahead of my deadline and we got a babysitter and hit this movie like the fist of an angry Kajiu! SO. MUCH. FREAKING. FUN. I think the russian Jaeger was my favorite, that thing was just awesome.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I want to see this movie so bad. :(

Dave

Dave

Read through my posts in this thread. I have been very -meh- about this since it was first in trailers. Then the reviews started coming in and they were positive. So I took my son this morning to see it at a discount. Verdict? I loved it!!

Most movies of this type are very "we have special effects and no story". In Pacific Rim, the stories are still there, and the special effects are a counterpoint to these. Holy shit, right?!? The battles were good and the interactions were decent. There were a few plot holes, but I can get over them. There were a lot of cliches and the final speech was very, VERY Independence Day.

But I'm glad I went to see it and I'm glad you guys were excited for it because had it not been for you all, I would have given this a pass.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

very, VERY Independence Day.
very, VERY Two Towers
very, VERY Return of the King x3
very, VERY Braveheart
very, VERY Henry V

Null

Null

I loved this movie. It was full of tropes and yeah, predictable - but it executed everything so well, you don't mind. It was a perfect homage to the entire kaiju and mecha genres. I've heard it called a Live Action Mecha Anime, and you know, that's not really a bad description, except it left out the shitty parts of most anime.It's like a tribute band made of way more skilled musicians than the band they're paying tribute to, or a bacon cheeseburger made by a world-class chef who isn't trying to redefine it, just make the best damn bacon cheeseburger you'll ever eat.

Also, whomever designed the Jaeger Pilot armor should do the armor for the Mass Effect movie.

I'm going to see it again in 3D if possible.

Dave

Dave

very, VERY Two Towers
very, VERY Return of the King x3
very, VERY Braveheart
very, VERY Henry V

I think the analogy with Independence Day works ever so much better. Alien life forms invading. We have but one chance - ONE!! - to take these bastards down. TODAY...WE CANCEL THE APOCALYPSE BECAUSE IT'S OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

Covar

Covar

a bacon cheeseburger made by a world-class chef who isn't trying to redefine it, just make the best damn bacon cheeseburger you'll ever eat.
Congrats, you've summed up my thoughts on this movie. Del Toro had a goal for this movie, and he clearly succeeded in hitting it. What really stood out to me was the sheer craftsmanship that went into every part of this movie. Every aspect felt like it was given proper attention and thought, refined to fit neatly into its place. The result is everything works together wonderfully with nothing feeling out of place or worked in for the heck of it.

"Where the fuck is my shoe?!"

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

"Boat, activated." Hee hee hee.

I'm going to try and see it again, if possible.

Also, I present for your edification: Fourth-string Jaegers.

Null

Null

I will admit one thing - when they were going through the Jaeger start up sequence, my brain went, "BIG O! SHOW TIME!"

klew

klew

The robots reminded me of Heavy Nova on Genesis.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I just loved how they managed to show the scale very excellently.... these weren't robots moving at normal speed... these were metal behemoths, with inertia, and they took a bit of time to move.

MAN, I need to see this thing again

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am not convinced that eight shithooks, er Chinooks could lift one of those things...

Tress

Tress

I am not convinced that eight shithooks, er Chinooks could lift one of those things...
I believe you are correct. We have would have to assume that those are somehow improved future-tech helicopters. You would probably need at least 4 more modern Chinooks to make it happen, possibly more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just loved how they managed to show the scale very excellently.... these weren't robots moving at normal speed... these were metal behemoths, with inertia, and they took a bit of time to move.
And I loved how it showed in the first sequence how moving a foot forward took effort inside the cockpit, so the pilots would be moving step-for-step with the Jaeger.

Shawn

Shawn

In the movie thread I made a comment that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is so good because of the love and dedication that went into making it.
That is EXACTLY what happened here with Pacific Rim. I was so blown away by just the visuals alone that I was able to forgive some of the glaring plot holes and cliche's. But, as people have mentioned before, cliches do not always make a movie bad. In fact they can sometimes make a movie enjoyable. That's why they became cliches in the first place.
Overall verdict: The movie is a work of art. But in this case it's the kind of art that you can rock out to and absolutely just sit back and get swept away by. It brought exactly what it offered: Robots vs Monsters. But it did so in a way that didn't sink to any attempts to get a certain kind of audience into the theaters. It wanted to bring in the people who wanted to see a Robots vs Monsters movie done RIGHT. All those people who want to see Bumble-Bee piss on John Turturro can go see Grown-Ups 2 instead. I heard the intro to THAT movie is perfect for people like that. And considering that one currently has a 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes it's pretty fitting.[DOUBLEPOST=1373937484][/DOUBLEPOST]Is it wrong though that I wanted the ending of the movie to be...

The team destroys the bridge, and they announce the stopping of the war clock. As they do, the tech guy turns to the general and says "Uh. They just opened up another bridge. And the first Kaiju has come through, laughing and flipping us off."

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh god I'm dying here. There are some absolute gems in the comments.

Frank

Frank

My boner still hasn't gone away yet.

BErt

I...I don't...do I brofist this?

I really, really liked this movie.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Put down the blue pill and see a doctor.

Or learn to pee while standing on your head.[DOUBLEPOST=1373941259][/DOUBLEPOST]A comment I put on a Yahoo! board about the movie.

It was the most fun I had in a movie theater since heavy petting in high school.

Frank

Frank

Lovely piece of fanart. I don't know who to credit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Even Kris Straub has gotten in on the act.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Lovely piece of fanart. I don't know who to credit.
Dana Guerrieri. She has prints for sale here: currently out of stock, but the store says more are coming.

Frank

Frank

Dana Guerrieri. She has prints for sale here: currently out of stock, but the store says more are coming.
Hey, thanks. I saw that posted elsewhere without a credit. I want to get one now.

Shawn

Shawn

Downloading the soundtrack now.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hee hee hee!

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Here's one thing that I'm both sad about and happy for at the same time. No video game adaptation.

I'm sad that something so ripe to turn into an amazing game won't get one and happy that the shitty cash-in licensed garbage piece of shit that would likely have been made never will be.

Shawn

Shawn

Here's one thing that I'm both sad about and happy for at the same time. No video game adaptation.

I'm sad that something so ripe to turn into an amazing game won't get one and happy that the shitty cash-in licensed garbage piece of shit that would likely have been made never will be.
I would be happy if they gave this idea some thought and worked on it for a few years before releasing it. Give us some time to truly appreciate the movie, and then give us a fully enriched game that goes into more detail about the time periods not covered in the movie.

Tress

Tress

Go take a look at Xbox Live. :troll:

Frank

Frank

I would have never known about that since the Xbox is dead to me.

Case not helped, that game falls into the latter category, shitty butt-ass cash-in trash-fuck ball-shit dick-dirt.

Frank

Frank

Fuckin' Yukes. God they're a dreadful company.

Anyways, the main theme is now my jogging music. It's got a perfect beat for a steady jog and it really pumps me up. Main theme is so excellent and catchy. Game of Thrones theme composer is the guy behind it. Ramin Dijawadi is good at his job. Fun fact, his first composing gig was System Shock 2.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fuckin' Yukes. God they're a dreadful company.

Anyways, the main theme is now my jogging music. It's got a perfect beat for a steady jog and it really pumps me up. Main theme is so excellent and catchy. Game of Thrones theme composer is the guy behind it.

Heh, at 46 seconds I start humming in countermelody - "Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar... you gotta find first gear in your giant robot car!" Then at 1:11... "YOU. DIG. GI-ANT. ROBOTS. I. DIG. GI-ANT. ROBOTS. WE. DIG. GIANT. ROBOTS. CHICKS. DIG. GI-ANT. ROBOTS."

Frank

Frank

Isn't there some rumbling of that show coming back?

That would be excellent.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Isn't there some rumbling of that show coming back?

That would be excellent.
I wish. Cartoon Network says it's pretty much over and done with forever.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself. I broke out Adobe Audition and did a quick and dirty, ugly ass mashup of what I was talking about. I had to pitch shift and stretch the vocals to get them in tune, maybe I should have raised the Pacific Rim theme halfway to meet in the middle, but oh well.

It's attached to this post.

Attachments

strawman

strawman

This was an awesome movie. This movie, like avatar, uses 3D to great effect.

Null

Null

Frank

Frank

This was an awesome movie. This movie, like avatar, uses 3D to great effect.
I missed out on the 3D. When I went I caught the AVX showing which for whatever reason wasn't in 3D. First movie in forever I wanted to see in 3D.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I missed out on the 3D. When I went I caught the AVX showing which for whatever reason wasn't in 3D. First movie in forever I wanted to see in 3D.
Sounds like a great reason to see it again.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've already decided that when it comes out on video, I'll be getting the 3D blu-ray.

Far

Far

Our second show of the day is 2D for some reason. Usually if we have both versions the earliest is the 2D show.

Frank

Frank

This movie is doomed financially.

I am sad.

Just over 100 million worldwide. Needs to do at least 4 times that for the studio not to consider it an utter failure.

Shawn

Shawn

Okay. Which one of you @#$%ers ain't seeing it?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Okay. Which one of you @#$%ers ain't seeing it?
We're the fanboys that the film was made for...

Bubble181

Bubble181

So, I'll probably only see one "big" movie in theaters this summer. It was going to be Man of Steel, but you all seem sort of happy about this one :p

Which one would you say would be the better choice to go see with my girlfriend?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Man of Steel isn't fit to lick Pacific Rim's boots :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Man of Steel isn't fit to lick Pacific Rim's boots :p

Pacific Rim is everything that I'd wished Man of Steel would have been.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Pacific Rim is everything that I'd wished Man of Steel would have been.

The amount of love that went into this movie would have made for a very different (and better) Man of Steel.

strawman

strawman

Pacific rim might end up a "failure" but I believe it'll have a good blu-ray release.

However, I never once thought "Oooh, that's a good line..." while watching it, so it's likely that it won't have a cult following like princess bride.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...nd-how-pre-release-tracking-becomes-a-weapon/

Far

Far

It still has yet to release in China, July 31, and Japan, August 9 as well as several other countries. International take is becoming more and more important to a film than it's ever been.
So, I'll probably only see one "big" movie in theaters this summer. It was going to be Man of Steel, but you all seem sort of happy about this one :p

Which one would you say would be the better choice to go see with my girlfriend?
Both my girlfriend and myself enjoyed Lone Ranger more than Man of Steel, and Pacific Rim far more than either of these.

It's been interesting to watch reactions to the film when guests don't know what it's about. Often I get asked which movie they should go see if I'm sitting at box office doing work(note: I love this dark power people put into my hands as if I'm some font of movie knowledge sent here to guide their choices.) When asked I explain that Pacific Rim has been, so far this year, the most fun movie to watch coupled with an engaging story that, while not stellar, doesn't detract from the awesome that is giant robots pummling giant monsters.

If it's a group of guys they are all for it. If there is one woman, it gets vetoed immediately and they usually settle on grown ups two and a bit of my soul dies.

That said, this only applies to guests that come in with no prior knowledge of the movies we are playing(who does this btw?!). If they had been aware of the film before hand, often the whole group is jazzed to see it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, once this baby hits China and Japan, it'll be like printing money.

Espy

Espy

I wouldn't say this is "better" than Man of Steel, it's a very, very different movie. Both are giant action movies so if your gf wants to see giant robots fight then this is it, if she wants to see super powered dudes fight then go see MoS. My wife saw both and liked MoS better, but still enjoyed the heck out of Pacific Rim.

Far

Far

For me, maybe not the best parts, but certainly the most memorable of both were the action and fights. In that way I think they are comparable. Where I think Pacific Rim pulls out ahead is that its story didn't detract from the spectacle and enhanced it while Man of Steel's didn't. I won't say I think one or the other was better as a film, but in terms of fun, Pacific Rim any day.

I think it's partially a problem I have with Zack Snyder's style over substance directing vs Del Toro who is able to make a stylistic film heartfelt and engaging.

Espy

Espy

Eh, both have a lot of heart I think, the difference is that Del Toro's feels like you are 12 years old and playing with the most awesome toys in the world and Snyders feels a little heartbreaking because you have to watch your hero deal with life, and life sucks.

So yeah, if you want fun go to Pacific Rim. :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Forum said:
So what you're all saying is that I need to go see this movie?

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So what you're all saying is that I need to go see this movie?

--Patrick
Only if you want to have a good time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Only if you want to have a good time.
And you don't even have to take your clothes off, oh no.

drifter

drifter

Well, you don't have to...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Just got back from Imax 3D showing.

Perfection.

What else can I say?

bhamv3

bhamv3

However, I never once thought "Oooh, that's a good line..." while watching it, so it's likely that it won't have a cult following like princess bride.
Cancelin' the apocalypse has potential.

"Today... we are CANCELIN' all leave. Report back to your posts immediately."

"Today... we are CANCELIN' this installation."

"Today... we are CANCELIN' all nookie tonight. You're annoying me with the constant canceling, canceling. Asshole."

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

This movie is doomed financially.

I am sad.

Just over 100 million worldwide. Needs to do at least 4 times that for the studio not to consider it an utter failure.
Wait till the home sales blow through the roof when it's released.

klew

klew

Are people happy with the way things turned out, that Del Toro dropped out of directing The Hobbit for this? Or wish that he stayed with The Hobbit, meaning we might not have gotten Pacific Rim (or gotten a different version years from now)?

Covar

Covar

Yes. Pacific Rim and the Hobbit were both awesome. This is in no way a similar situation to Singer leaving X-Men 3 and being responsible for two terrible movies in a summer.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think it worked better all around. This way we got Peter Jackson on The Hobbit, which is his wheelhouse seeing as he did the LOTR movies, and we got the best movie of the summer.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't think The Hobbit is a film that *needed* to be made by del Toro. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, but it wasn't a project that seemed destined for him in the way that some other projects seem destined for others.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think The Hobbit is a film that *needed* to be made by del Toro. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, but it wasn't a project that seemed destined for him in the way that some other projects seem destined for others.
I'm extremely glad that the same Director who did the LOTR movies is the one who ultimately directed The Hobbit. Jackson had a pretty solid vision and as much as I love Del Torro's work, it may have altered the unified vision, even though Jackson still would have been consulting on the movies.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I just got back from it. 3D showing.

It... was okay.

The movie was fun and exciting, but there were problems with both the visuals and the plot/writing/characters.

Firstly, as I feared, most of the action took place at night. Or in the rain. Or underwater. Sure, the fight scenes were clearer than, say, Transformers, but they could've been clearer.

Secondly, there were some bizarre plot holes in the movie. Gipsy Danger's got a sword capable of slicing through Kaijus like butter. You didn't think to use it right from the start? Why wait until you're in the stratosphere before pulling it out? Mako's traumatized by her memories so she can't pilot effectively. As opposed to all the other pilots, who never experienced anything traumatic related to the Kaijus, I suppose? Pentecoste puts himself in the cockpit for the final fight, despite being out of practice and at risk of killing himself, the leader of the Jaeger program. Did he forget the hordes of copilot candidates we saw earlier? And just how did Ron Perlman stay alive inside an acid-filled monster's belly for however long he was in there?

Finally, problems with characters. The main character Raleigh has the screen presence and charisma of a random guy off the street, not a professional actor. There were times when I felt like he was trying to do a James Franco impression, and failing. All of Idris Elba's best lines were in the trailer. The young Australian pilot's a two-dimensional asshole, which makes it hard to care about him when the movie tries to sell the heroic sacrifice at the end. And Rinko Kikuchi's performance was rather stilted, possibly because she's not used to performing in English. Oh, and Ron Perlman delivered one of the worst performances I've ever seen from him.

All in all, this movie could've been better. It's not terrible, it's too spectacular to be terrible. But it's a pretty solid C or C- in my book.

klew

klew

isn't it a Hollywood rule that all helicopters must explode or crash?

Shawn

Shawn

My mom gave me an interesting insight as to why a few people may not be seeing this film.
She just assumed it was going to be no better than Transformers.

Tress

Tress

...fuck you, Michael Bay, you piece of shit.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's too late for me to go over all of these, so here's the quick and dirty:

Night scenes: I saw it in 3D, and even with the added darkness, I thought all of the scenes were clear, cinematic, and beautifully arranged. This is going to be subjective, but I thought it looked great.

Secret Sword: Common trope, you never start with your best weapon, no matter how much sense it makes.

General Soon-to-Die getting in a mech: He knew it was going to be a suicide mission, he couldn't send anyone else. Succeed or fail, there would have been no need for him afterwards, because either it works and the Kaiju can no longer cross the threshold, or it fails and they all die. Also, the rule of cool and general badassery comes into play here.

Ron Perlman surviving: We don't know that it was full of acid. It was a baby. Also, see above re: cool and badass. As for his performance, I thought he did rather well for his role. He chewed the scenery just like a character in this genre would be expected to.

Mako's trauma: She's the hotshot rookie with hundreds of hours of training suiting up for the first time. Of course she's going to choke, how else is she supposed to pull a 180 and turn awesome?

Asshole that redeems himself: Really what's important is that his cool dog lived.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's too late for me to go over all of these, so here's the quick and dirty:

Night scenes: I saw it in 3D, and even with the added darkness, I thought all of the scenes were clear, cinematic, and beautifully arranged. This is going to be subjective, but I thought it looked great.

Secret Sword: Common trope, you never start with your best weapon, no matter how much sense it makes.

General Soon-to-Die getting in a mech: He knew it was going to be a suicide mission, he couldn't send anyone else. Succeed or fail, there would have been no need for him afterwards, because either it works and the Kaiju can no longer cross the threshold, or it fails and they all die. Also, the rule of cool and general badassery comes into play here.

Ron Perlman surviving: We don't know that it was full of acid. It was a baby. Also, see above re: cool and badass. As for his performance, I thought he did rather well for his role. He chewed the scenery just like a character in this genre would be expected to.

Mako's trauma: She's the hotshot rookie with hundreds of hours of training suiting up for the first time. Of course she's going to choke, how else is she supposed to pull a 180 and turn awesome?

Asshole that redeems himself: Really what's important is that his cool dog lived.
Yeah I don't think that he got that it was a send-up not a take-by-scene film.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just got back from it. 3D showing.

It... was okay.

The movie was fun and exciting, but there were problems with both the visuals and the plot/writing/characters.

Firstly, as I feared, most of the action took place at night. Or in the rain. Or underwater. Sure, the fight scenes were clearer than, say, Transformers, but they could've been clearer.

Secondly, there were some bizarre plot holes in the movie. Gipsy Danger's got a sword capable of slicing through Kaijus like butter. You didn't think to use it right from the start?
Why wait until you're in the stratosphere before pulling it out?
I know you've watched Voltron, Power Rangers, Evangalion, or any other types of shows like this, this is the way Kaiju is done, and the movie is a love letter to Kaiju.

Mako's traumatized by her memories so she can't pilot effectively. As opposed to all the other pilots, who never experienced anything traumatic related to the Kaijus, I suppose? Pentecoste puts himself in the cockpit for the final fight, despite being out of practice and at risk of killing himself, the leader of the Jaeger program. Did he forget the hordes of copilot candidates we saw earlier?

Not all pilots are drift compatable.

And just how did Ron Perlman stay alive inside an acid-filled monster's belly for however long he was in there?

He wasn't inside the monster's belly, except when the baby ate him, which killed him.

All in all, this movie could've been better. It's not terrible, it's too spectacular to be terrible. But it's a pretty solid C or C- in my book.

You hate joy and fun, and should be sterilized :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Bowie, you didn't see the scene in the end credits?

Anyway, basically, you guys are saying this shit don't make sense, but that's okay because the end result is pretty damn cool?

... I guess I can get behind that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Bowie, you didn't see the scene in the end credits?

Anyway, basically, you guys are saying this shit don't make sense, but that's okay because the end result is pretty damn cool?

... I guess I can get behind that.
No, I didn't stay through the credits. I can guess what happened from your comment.

It's possible the baby doesn't even have acid, each iteration of Kaiju is different from the one before. It also seemed that the acid is separate from the Kaiju's actual saliva because it slobbered all over the Jeagers without it melting them until it purposely spit acid, so it may come from a separate gland, like a spitting cobra.

bhamv3

bhamv3

No, I didn't stay through the credits. I can guess what happened from your comment.

It's possible the baby doesn't even have acid, each iteration of Kaiju is different from the one before. It also seemed that the acid is separate from the Kaiju's actual saliva because it slobbered all over the Jeagers without it melting them until it purposely spit acid, so it may come from a separate gland, like a spitting cobra.
Yeah, but he was in there for anywhere between minutes to hours. I don't think he had an air supply with him. I dunno, to me it was a throwaway gag that re-emphasized how things in this movie don't make much sense.

Frank

Frank

My mom gave me an interesting insight as to why a few people may not be seeing this film.
She just assumed it was going to be no better than Transformers.
And when the next Transformers movie breaks a billion, that theory will be proven not so correct.[DOUBLEPOST=1374317397][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, but he was in there for anywhere between minutes to hours. I don't think he had an air supply with him. I dunno, to me it was a throwaway gag that re-emphasized how things in this movie don't make much sense.
I think you're taking a cute, funny stinger too seriously.

Shawn

Shawn

I wasn't a fan of this ending, for those reasons. As much as I enjoyed the character, I kinda wish he'd stay dead to maintain that cartoon logic doesn't apply in that universe.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hope this doesn't spell bad news for another movie of this nature that I'm really looking forward to ...

Shawn

Shawn

I hope this doesn't spell bad news for another movie of this nature that I'm really looking forward to ...

That's a lot of fish.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

[/spoiler]
That's a lot of fish.
I think you messed something up there :p.

And I have confidence this isn't going to be like that shitty '98 movie. Roland Emmerich doesn't even like Godzilla--he and his Independence Day buddy were put in charge because they seemed a good fit for a movie where New York City was gonna get wrecked.

strawman

strawman

Yeah, so if you can accept monsters and machines that large, thought sharing gear, interdimensional portals, and so forth, then suspending your disbelief for those other things shouldn't be too taxing.

If it helps, think of this as a live action anime.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And then there was....ATLANTIC RIM!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh Asylum...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wonder if it'll be as good as TRANSMORPHERS!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

:cry:

Espy

Espy

You know, I can't imagine the asylum folks are actually satisfied or happy doing what they do. I mean I imagine a group of people who dreamed of making movies and then find themselves making one horrible rip off after another every day. How do they live with themselves? Why not put all that effort into something NOT horrible?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You know, I can't imagine the asylum folks are actually satisfied or happy doing what they do. I mean I imagine a group of people who dreamed of making movies and then find themselves making one horrible rip off after another every day. How do they live with themselves? Why not put all that effort into something NOT horrible?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Welp I know what I'm getting my sister for Christmas this year. She loves pretty much everything Asylum.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just saw the list of Asylum rip-offs presented somewhere. Give them props for trying, that's for sure.

Actually, give them lots of props. They might be able to make a decent movie if they have enough props.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I just saw the list of Asylum rip-offs presented somewhere. Give them props for trying, that's for sure.

Actually, give them lots of props. They might be able to make a decent movie if they have enough props.

--Patrick
The CEO of Asylum says he counts on people buying his movies as a mistake by being so closely named to the originals. Basically he openly admits to making his profits off idiots and I'm also cool with that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's true. In fact, I remember my first encounter with one of them while working at Jumbo Video. They made War of the Worlds, which came out on video the exact same week as the Tom Cruise movie of the same name. You have no idea how many people I had to inform that it wasn't the Tom Cruise movie and not to rent it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's true. In fact, I remember my first encounter with one of them while working at Jumbo Video. They made War of the Worlds, which came out on video the exact same week as the Tom Cruise movie of the same name. You have no idea how many people I had to inform that it wasn't the Tom Cruise movie and not to rent it.
The Asylum version was probably better than the turd that was the Tom Cruise movie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Asylum version was probably better than the turd that was the Tom Cruise movie.
Haven't seen either, but I'm certainly open to the possibility.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I absolutely hated War of the Worlds. I suppose it doesn't help that it's one of my favorite sci-fi stories.[DOUBLEPOST=1374368718][/DOUBLEPOST]Regarding The Asylum, I heard that their rip off of Battleship was better than the real movie.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's nice how Asylum gives washed up actors jobs too ;)

Tress

Tress

Don't even joke. The Cruise version was bad, but nothing compares to the shittiness of Asylum movies. Well, nothing except maybe SyFy flicks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

nothing compares to the shittiness of Asylum movies. Well, nothing except maybe SyFy flicks.
And this stuff.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Don't even joke. The Cruise version was bad, but nothing compares to the shittiness of Asylum movies. Well, nothing except maybe SyFy flicks.
Most SyFy flicks are Asylum movies.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Just got back. I wanted to go so badly I just went alone while my wife was willing to watch the baby. No one else could make the time.

First I have to say it was an awesome movie. The action was perfectly visible and the animation top notch. You really felt like they had two giants or more fighting each time. I didn't even see it in 3D, and it was very impressive. Makes me want to go again and see it in 3D.

Yes it had a LOT of plotholes and seemingly dropped storylines, but it didn't really take anything away from the movie.

I loved the fact that in the end the Kaiju were basically the same thing as the Jaegers. Weapons engineered to fight. They even mentioned that they have two "brains", much like the Jaegers require two humans to pilot properly. I also found the framing of the climax rather brilliant, how they showed how now WE were the giant monster on their home turf, and about to blow up some alien assholes.

When it comes to dropped storylines, I kind of wish they went into more depth why the Kaiju were so focused on capturing Charlie Day's character. They pretty much told us that the brain syncing was the reason those two Kaiju went to Hong Kong, but after both of them are killed they never even theorize why they were focused on him. Were they impressed by the tech? Were they trying to silence him so he couldn't do it again and learn about the barrier?

The biggest plot hole, though, was how the hell the two were able to get back to Earth at the climax. Okay I understand the portal was not closed yet, but I thought the barrier only allowed Kaiju through it, thus why they had to enter it with a Kaiju corpse, and yet they just float right through? I also find it funny that the "portal" was lucky enough to be in the ceiling of some water world, sure would have sucked if gravity reversed or they popped out in a dry area.

Lastly, and this might just be me, but I found the whole "romance" to be rather silly. They pretty much start falling all googly eyed for eachother the minute they meet, and had no really conflict other then one being shy and both being emotionally damaged. It would have been a much bigger "payoff" if they just killed of the father of the Australian Jaeger and forced the two seemingly fight happy pilots to force a team up, ending with them coming to better terms with eachother and working together for the victory. Yes it's a trope, but a much more satisfying one then the two love birds who obviously want to get together just getting together without any real conflict between them.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Romance is a bigger trope, so that's why they went in that direction.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, I don't think you can find a closer bond with someone than linking minds. If someone knew every thought and memory of yours and still wants to be around you, they're a keeper.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, I don't think you can find a closer bond with someone than linking minds. If someone knew every thought and memory of yours and still wants to be around you, they're a keeper.

If they could still look me in the eye, I'd be amazed.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's nice how Asylum gives washed up actors jobs too ;)
Someone has to employ the cast of 90210 and Melrose Place.

D

Dubyamn

That actually doesn't look too bad. Might actually need to check that out.​

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The former Geography Teacher in me is screaming out in pain...

bhamv3

bhamv3

By an amazing coincidence, today I went on a trip with my wife's church group, and on the bus they showed Atlantic Rim.

This movie is bad. Seriously bad. You can't imagine how bad. I'm trying to think of a single redeeming feature of this movie, and I can't think of one at all. It doesn't even have campy charm. It's just bad.

Dei

Dei

Taking my son to see this today, husband is lame and wants nothing to do with it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Taking my son to see this today, husband is lame and wants nothing to do with it.

Force him! He'll thank you.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Divorce him. He's no longer worth it.

Dei

Dei

So I did enjoy this movie a lot but I do feel the obligatory need to bitch about
the only significant female character ending up romantically involved with the main character at the end. Blah blah blah, high tension situation, mind meld yadda yadda. Still a point of irritation to me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So I did enjoy this movie a lot but I do feel the obligatory need to bitch about
the only significant female character ending up romantically involved with the main character at the end. Blah blah blah, high tension situation, mind meld yadda yadda. Still a point of irritation to me.

Yeah, I realized pretty early into the movie that it would fail the Bechdel Test pretty badly.

Dei

Dei

ThatNickGuy said:
Yeah, I realized pretty early into the movie that it would fail the Bechdel Test pretty badly.
I don't necessarily care about the Bechdel test, but that just frustrates me.

Tress

Tress

To be fair, all they did was hug. No kissing, no exchange of vows, no declarations of affection. You could make an argument that there was no love story there, just two really close people at the end of an ordeal.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I actually left with the impression that it wasn't romantic.

Espy

Espy

I agree with the guys above. I mean, was there implied romance? That wasn't it felt like to me, more like a "we have a bond now" thing but I don't feel like it was explicitly romantic.

Tress

Tress

Were they? That wasn't it felt like to me, more like a "we have a bond now" thing but I don't feel like it was explicitly romantic.
Exactly.

Dei

Dei

Except he more or less made a romantic comment right before the last fight.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I agree with the guys above. I mean, was there implied romance? That wasn't it felt like to me, more like a "we have a bond now" thing but I don't feel like it was explicitly romantic.
Did everyone forget the part right before the final mission where he looks at her, says "You know normally I always think about the past, but now, I am thinking about the future." then he looks at her, smiles at her, she looks surprised then she smiles at him, and he continues, "I always did have bad timing" and then they did the head drop into the Jaeger.
Actually, looks like Dei remembers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Did everyone forget the part right before the final mission where he looks at her, says "You know normally I always think about the past, but now, I am thinking about the future." then he looks at her, smiles at her, she looks surprised then she smiles at him, and he continues, "I always did have bad timing" and then they did the head drop into the Jaeger.
Actually, looks like Dei remembers.

He was just trying to soften the blow for when Miko saw the terrible stuff involving her in his head.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well Ravenpoe...

Lucky for the command center they only dropped into her horrific childhood memory during the training process, because it would have been a whole other ball game if Gypsy Danger humped the hanger to death.

strawman

strawman

His old boss pretty much told him to take care of her. His quote could mean that he's changed because he now has a responsibility, whereas he before didn't care what happened to him one day to the next.

Wheth the responsibility is romantic or sibling love really isn't specified, and hardly matters.

Those who want it to be romantic will see it that way, and those who want them to merely be siblings will see it that way. The film makers really did leave it up to the viewer.

He did show some mild interest initially in the film, but after drifting with her that could have readily evolved to either feelings of passion, or feelings of great, but non sexual, love.

In fact, he might have a hard time not seeing her as a child needing to be sheltered and protected from now on, just as the old man saw her.

Really, though, there was little reason to use an essentially all male cast with the one troubled child bit part played by a female.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Really, though, there was little reason to use an essentially all male cast with the one troubled child bit part played by a female.

There was the female russian pilot.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So far the only complaints against this movie have been because they used obvious tropes.... which was the purpose of the movie. So yeah, it did what it was supposed to.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

His old boss pretty much told him to take care of her. His quote could mean that he's changed because he now has a responsibility, whereas he before didn't care what happened to him one day to the next.

Wheth the responsibility is romantic or sibling love really isn't specified, and hardly matters.

Those who want it to be romantic will see it that way, and those who want them to merely be siblings will see it that way. The film makers really did leave it up to the viewer.

He did show some mild interest initially in the film, but after drifting with her that could have readily evolved to either feelings of passion, or feelings of great, but non sexual, love.

In fact, he might have a hard time not seeing her as a child needing to be sheltered and protected from now on, just as the old man saw her.

But the lead did run off to sulk for six? years after losing a battle.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

But the lead did run off to sulk for six? years after losing his brother while mentally attached to him.
FTFY

Dei

Dei

Gilgamesh said:
Yeah if that doesn't fuck you up, nothing will.

Espy

Espy

I will agree it could be taken that way, I guess even the pre-battle talk just didn't feel "romantic" to me. Eh, either way it doesn't bother me a ton since it didn't delve into Armageddon/Aerosmith territory.

Frank

Frank

I didn't see it as really romantic either, possibly romantic maybe, but it was minor.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have a feeling it didn't come off as romantic solely due to bad acting.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It came off as romantic to me, but maybe I've watched too many monster movies. It really doesn't take much of anything to get the main guy and main girl together in those.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Is everyone forgetting how Mako was googly-eyed for Raleigh throughout most of the movie?

Tress

Tress

Well shit, I'm sorry the movie didn't end with a firm handshake and the two main characters sitting on opposite ends of the raft, facing away from each other.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I didn't see it as really romantic either, possibly romantic maybe, but it was minor.

oh, not that type of minor...

Bowielee

Bowielee

THANK YOU, I've been looking for a copy of that picture for awhile now.

As to the usual reduction of women's roles, even with the possible romance aside, I did note that even though she was supposed to be presented as a strong female character, she pretty much couldn't do anything without being saved by a man. So, yeah, it follows the usual testosterone tract, but that was pretty much to be accepted in the context of this type of movie. Like Dei said, blah, bitty, blah, the song is the same.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well shit, I'm sorry the movie didn't end with a firm handshake and the two main characters sitting on opposite ends of the raft, facing away from each other.
Oh we are going to play this game? Well shit, I'm sorry the movie didn't end with them sucking each others faces off while on a life-raft, or going back to base to have sex in some healing tube.

You can have "romance" without turning into a raunchy porno.

When she first met him, she looked at him wide eyed, and said he was "not what she expected". As far as flow goes that is the hook that she finds him attractive. When next time they talk, she is going into her room, but before she closes the door she sees him with his shirt off in the room across, she shy fully closes the door and stares at his naked chest through the peep-hole. Later on, they form a "connection" during the fight. She clumisily goes to the wrong door, HIS door, and he wants her to open up to him. By the end, the big climax is on the horizon and he says a bunch of lines that basically amount to "I want to marry you" and she begs for him "please don't leave me." when it looks like he is dead. When she learns hhe is alive they stare into each others eyes and touch foreheads together.

I am sorry, but I wouldn't do ANY of the above stuff with someone I was not attracted to, nor even a friend or sibling I was close with. My sisters would find it oddly unsettling to touch foreheads like that.

strawman

strawman

I was honestly expecting them to do the james bond
slinking into the raft and asking the helicopters to come awhile later.

Yes, all the stuff ScytheRexx mentioned happened and suggested
romantic intentions on both sides. But again, that was prior to drifting, which may have fundamentally changed their relationship. Depending on culture the last scene could be seen as romantic or not, but I think if they had done anything further (ie, james bond) it would have been unsettling for many viewers. "Oh, your adopted father just sacrificed himself, and you're sitting in a liferaft over his watery grave enjoying your new boyfriend... well then..."

I think it is a tiny stretch to suggest a sibling relationship over a romantic relationship, but they've both lost people close to them in very personal ways, and romance doesn't have to be in the cards for them to have a very close relationship.

But I don't think it matters either. Like art you can take what you want out of it.

Tress

Tress

I started to write out a whole response to this, but I just don't feel like dealing with it. I disagree with some of what you said, I have zero interest in continuing what is shaping up to be a rather stupid argument, and I think we should all just drop it.

So no, we're not going to "play this game," smartass.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also just remembered this scene...

Before the first drift test, when she is in her room, she looks through the peep-hole to try and get a glimpse of the main guy and sees the main guy walking up to her door. She jumps away to her desk to act like she was doing something else, but the main guy chickens out of knocking, deciding to give her space. It cuts back to her and she hears a knock, jumps over and opens it like a giddy school girl with a smile expecting the main guy, only for the smile to fade when she realizes it's her adopted father, the commander.
This happened before they did the first drift together.

Even if we do assume they are just "drift friends" or something, she obviously had a huge crush on him.

So no, we're not going to "play this game," smartass.
If you don't want "smartassry" then don't be a smartass in kind. You took our entire argument and made it sound like we were being silly that we saw romantic undertones to the relationship, by saying that "Oh well sorry they didn't just have a firm handshake or something" because you were so dead set on it being some drift friendship.

I simply took the exact way you were breaking it down and threw it right back at you in the opposite way, to show you how stupid it was.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The way she looked at him and got nervous when he took off his shirt pretty much removes any doubt in my mind that she wants to jump his bones.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Whether they were romantically interested in each other or not is not the original point that's being missed like a baseball at a barn.

Was the movie using romantic tropes? Yes. It was supposed to be. Was it overtly romantic to ruination of the film? Not by a long shot.

The end.

Tress

Tress

If you don't want "smartassry" then don't be a smartass in kind. You took our entire argument and made it sound like we were being silly that we saw romantic undertones to the relationship, by saying that "Oh well sorry they didn't just have a firm handshake or something" because you were so dead set on it being some drift friendship.

I simply took the exact way you were breaking it down and threw it right back at you in the opposite way, to show you how stupid it was.
Well you're just so clever, aren't you? I stand in awe of your brilliance.

All better now?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

All better now?
It would have been better if you discussed your points and actually carried out a discussion about why you think the whole thing was more platonic, using facts and relevant scenes. Then we wouldn't have to have you being passive aggressive.

But since this is how it went, sure, all better.

Was the movie using romantic tropes? Yes. It was supposed to be. Was it overtly romantic to ruination of the film? Not by a long shot.
That was the original argument? I didn't get that at all. The first quote that started this implied it could be argued that no romance arc existed at all. For there to be romantic tropes, it has to have a romantic arc, even if that arc is secondary to the much larger arc. If the argument is that the romantic arc didn't ruin the film, I can agree with that.

strawman

strawman

Man, I can't even pay people to stand in awe of my brilliance.

Must be nice.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

ScytheRexx - There was no arc, there was more of a quarter circle. There needed to be ALOT more elements to constitute an arc. So noooooope.

Again, Romantic tropes? Yep. Romantic arc/storyline etc? Nope.

strawman

strawman

I dunno. He was obviously in love with his machine, but it wasn't until she modified it with a phallus, er, sword, that it was complete.

So, there's that.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I dunno. He was obviously in love with his machine, but it wasn't until she modified it with a phallus, er, sword, that it was complete.

So, there's that.
You know what? That's a great point. Remember the complaint that he always had a sword but never used it? What if that was only added in the rebuild? So that's why it was never used until the battle where it appears? Very nice point.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You know what? That's a great point. Remember the complaint that he always had a sword but never used it? What if that was only added in the rebuild? So that's why it was never used until the battle where it appears? Very nice point.
To me, it's like arguing why Voltron started with the lions, rather than forming Voltron right off the bat and pulling out the Blazing Sword. Or why the Power Rangers didn't jump right into ther Zords and stomp on the monster of the week before the villain of the season does whatever thing they do to make it become giant.

It's just a trope of the genre and I, for one, love the fact that they did it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx - There was no arc, there was more of a quarter circle. There needed to be ALOT more elements to constitute an arc. So noooooope.
I worked on movies. attempted my own, and finally settled in a more technical job at a worldwide company that sells film equipment. I think I know what elements make a narrative arc.

A narrative arc is simply a section of the story that has an exposition, a rising action, and finally a resolution to the arc that was started in the exposition.

The romantic arc had all three. The exposition was the crush and building of desire, the rising action was the two becoming close as pilots, and the resolution is the two surviving to live another day together. (If he died, that would have still been considered a tragic resolution) Even the two Australians had a full arc dedicated to them, with the exposition forming the rivalry, the rising action being their conflict breaking out, and the resolution ending with them coming to terms with the main character and Mako.

Though they dragged it on even longer by putting in a second resolution with the guys sacrifice.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I worked on movies. attempted my own, and finally settled in a more technical job at a worldwide company that sells film equipment. I think I know what elements make a narrative arc.
He's about to argue that because you didn't actually make films, you don't know what you're talking about :p

Just giving Gilgamesh shit, and not meant to be taken seriously.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

He's about to argue that because you didn't actually make films, you don't know what you're talking about :p
Who says I never made a film. ;)

bhamv3

bhamv3

To me, it's like arguing why Voltron started with the lions, rather than forming Voltron right off the bat and pulling out the Blazing Sword. Or why the Power Rangers didn't jump right into ther Zords and stomp on the monster of the week before the villain of the season does whatever thing they do to make it become giant.

I think that's why I had such a big WTF moment when they only pulled out the sword at the last minute. I expected Pacific Rim to be more serious and make more sense than Voltron and Power Rangers.

I mean, yes the end result is cool, and yes it's okay for some things to be illogical if the end result is entertaining. I guess I just expected more, y'know?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

ScytheRexx - the fact that you say you worked in film/made a film and still don't get it is amusing. Just wanted to point that out.

Arc indicates a beginning (which there was) a middle (which is where the film ended them in and an end (that wasn't there). If you can't understand that on a simple level, then you're just set in your -I know better than you just cause- then yeah, I'll stop here as Tress was smart enough to do.

Covar

Covar

The "that would be a very short and terrible episode/movie" trope.

Also I want to note Mighty Morphin actually had a canon reason for this trope. In the first episode after receiving their powers and defeating Goldar and some putties the rangers are told the 3 rules to follow or "lose the protection of the power"

1. Never use your powers for personal gain
2. Never escalate a battle unless Rita forces you.
3. Never reveal your secret identities.

strawman

strawman

That's really strange. I thought she made it clear that she added the sword as part of the rebuild.

I'll have to watch it again, maybe I'm imagining things, though the wiki seems to agree with me: http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Gipsy_Danger

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think that's why I had such a big WTF moment when they only pulled out the sword at the last minute. I expected Pacific Rim to be more serious and make more sense than Voltron and Power Rangers.

I mean, yes the end result is cool, and yes it's okay for some things to be illogical if the end result is entertaining. I guess I just expected more, y'know?
See, it's not illogical. Now everybody's happy.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That's really strange. I thought she made it clear that she added the sword as part of the rebuild.
She did. She didn't bring it up until the last minute though, so it still kind of falls into one of those "why didn't you use this sooner? type of deals.

Arc indicates a beginning (which there was) a middle (which is where the film ended them in and an end (that wasn't there). If you can't understand that on a simple level, then you're just set in your -I know better than you just cause- then yeah, I'll stop here as Tress was smart enough to do.
I already gave you the full knowledge of what makes an arc. If you didn't see the resolution, I can't really help you with that, but it was there. Him surviving and the touching of foreheads was itself just as much an end as Corban Dallas and Leelu kissing out light and having sex in a healing tube. Trust me, I like discussion and change my mind when someone points out something factual. I have yet to see that here because for whatever reason people don't see the romance arc build over 60% of the movie that didn't focus on the robots beating up monsters or Charlie Day being a nerdy Charlie Day.

But at this point, I think I will have to agree to drop it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think I will have to agree to drop it.
Yep.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know which other giant robot movie had people saying "Don't think about it too much, just turn your brain off and enjoy the cool stuff?"

That's right, Real Steel.

... what, you guys thought I was about to compare Pacific Rim to Transformers? Dude, I'm not a complete monster.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know which other giant robot movie had people saying "Don't think about it too much, just turn your brain off and enjoy the cool stuff?"
That Austin Powers sequel where he went back in time.

Bowielee

Bowielee

... what, you guys thought I was about to compare Pacific Rim to Transformers? Dude, I'm not a complete monster.
I have actually heard that Real Steel was much better than it had any right to be.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Lies. No one liked Real Steel enough to even say that.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

There's a difference between a movie being a tribute/send-up and just trying to do a style and failing miserably.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have actually heard that Real Steel was much better than it had any right to be.
It was pretty decent, to be honest, though it also gave me a few "this makes no sense" moments.

Eh, best not to think about them too much. Robots fighting stuff. I'm happy with that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I liked Real Steel. :(

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'd say it was easily not bad, but not great. Really only for the plot being so all over the place and the actors feeling mostly flat and 2D.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It's cool man I was mostly just joking.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd say it was easily not bad, but not great. Really only for the plot being so all over the place and the actors feeling mostly flat and 2D.

I'll agree with that for the most part. It wasn't the greatest movie of all time or anything, but I enjoyed it enough that I might eventually buy the BluRay if I find it cheap. ($10 or less)

PatrThom

PatrThom

gofo.JPG
source

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I prefer the "5 minutes 'til end of episode" button in Megas XLR.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Quick sword point - they never used except as a last resort since they stated kaiju blood / innards are super toxic / acidic / fuck up the earth something bad.

although, the Crimson Typhoon jaeger was like, three spinning blades, but maybe that was just for over the ocean

Dave

Dave

Maybe it was a technical thing. Because the sword undergoes a lot of stress (instead of a solid piece of metal it is a series of interlocking ones) it has a limited lifespan, which would make it expensive to continue replacing. Or they don't like to pull out all of their weapons because the kaiju learn and change tactics based on what they see. Or the sword can't keep the acid out and gets damaged with each use.

It's a movie. They can't always explain everything.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You don't open ranged combat with a sword.

drifter

drifter

bhamv3

bhamv3

I could accept there being tactical or humanitarian reasons for not using the sword immediately, but the way it was portrayed in the movie was Mako going "Oh hey, here's a little surprise I neglected to tell you earlier... SUDDENSWORDFINISHINGMOVE!"

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I could accept there being tactical or humanitarian reasons for not using the sword immediately, but the way it was portrayed in the movie was Mako going "Oh hey, here's a little surprise I neglected to tell you earlier... SUDDENSWORDFINISHINGMOVE!"
It's been established that it was added during the rebuild, hence it wasn't used in previous battles. In case you missed that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's been established that it was added during the rebuild, hence it wasn't used in previous battles. In case you missed that.
I got that. Therefore, it's meant to be plausible that Raleigh doesn't know about the sword. Problems with this:

1. Mako knows about the sword. She could've chosen to use it, or at least mention it.
2. A bunch of people at the base know about the sword. They could have mentioned it, probably when briefing Raleigh about the changes to Gipsy Danger.
3. Raleigh and Mako have drifted, which supposedly allows them to share all memories. Mako must have been suppressing her knowledge of the sword pretty hard, for Raleigh to not pick up on it at all.

Shawn

Shawn

There is absolutely no good excuse for why the sword was used when it was. I might be able to buy the toxic factor, which might lead them to only wanting to use brute force to take the creatures down. But they were quick to show that they were just as willing to blow the things the fuck up just as often as bludgeon them to death.
But there is no excusing a single person from mentioning the sword sooner. The sword was available, and it was a valid weapon. Regardless of how cool the scene was, Gipsy Danger drags a cargo ship onto land (killing who knows howmany) and uses it as a club. The sword would have been a much better choice between the two of them. Someone at HQ could have just said "why are you dragging that ship behind you? Just stab his ass!". And that's assuming the drift with Mako didn't divulge it, or even the drift with the machine itself. If the whole point is that the drift basically turns you INTO the machine, there should be nothing that it can do that you are not aware of.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There is absolutely no good excuse for why the sword was used when it was. I might be able to buy the toxic factor, which might lead them to only wanting to use brute force to take the creatures down. But they were quick to show that they were just as willing to blow the things the fuck up just as often as bludgeon them to death.
But there is no excusing a single person from mentioning the sword sooner. The sword was available, and it was a valid weapon. Regardless of how cool the scene was, Gipsy Danger drags a cargo ship onto land (killing who knows howmany) and uses it as a club. The sword would have been a much better choice between the two of them. Someone at HQ could have just said "why are you dragging that ship behind you? Just stab his ass!". And that's assuming the drift with Mako didn't divulge it, or even the drift with the machine itself. If the whole point is that the drift basically turns you INTO the machine, there should be nothing that it can do that you are not aware of.

But that wouldn't have been nearly as cool.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ya'll are hilarious.

Asian girl busts out a sword in combat cause it's tropey and cool. That's all you needed to know.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Plot holes and logical inconsistencies that are deliberate design decisions remain plot holes and logical inconsistencies. For some people, and some movies, they work. For some people, watching certain movies, it's jarring.

For example, I'm not going to question why an air traffic controller like Johnny, making his pterodactyls out of weather reports, hasn't been fired yet. I'm not going to question why the autopilot's a blow-up doll. I'm not going to ask what sort of nervous disorder makes a guy miss his mouth every time he tries to take a drink. And I'm definitely not going to ask why everyone keeps calling the doctor Shirley. For a movie like Airplane, which doesn't have a single serious moment in it, and never pretends to be anything else, it works.

However, I feel Pacific Rim should be held to a different standard. Saying "This doesn't make sense, but that's okay because of Rule of Cool" is fine and well. But unfortunately, I can't turn off my logic filters quite so easily, especially since Pacific Rim is so much more serious in tone than farces like Airplane.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Plot holes and logical inconsistencies that are deliberate design decisions remain plot holes and logical inconsistencies. For some people, and some movies, they work. For some people, watching certain movies, it's jarring.

For example, I'm not going to question why an air traffic controller like Johnny, making his pterodactyls out of weather reports, hasn't been fired yet. I'm not going to question why the autopilot's a blow-up doll. I'm not going to ask what sort of nervous disorder makes a guy miss his mouth every time he tries to take a drink. And I'm definitely not going to ask why everyone keeps calling the doctor Shirley. For a movie like Airplane, which doesn't have a single serious moment in it, and never pretends to be anything else, it works.

However, I feel Pacific Rim should be held to a different standard. Saying "This doesn't make sense, but that's okay because of Rule of Cool" is fine and well. But unfortunately, I can't turn off my logic filters quite so easily, especially since Pacific Rim is so much more serious in tone than farces like Airplane.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't want anyone to think I didn't find the sword cool though. The sword was definitely cool. All kinds of awesome cool.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm all for handwaving away little nitpicky bullshit, but not when it violates like. a movie's own internal rulebook.

Frank

Frank

I'm all for handwaving away little nitpicky bullshit, but not when it violates like. a movie's own internal rulebook.
But did it?

Espy

Espy

Wait, Gypsy Danger having a sword is throwing people for a loop? What? Why? What?

Shawn

Shawn

Wait, Gypsy Danger having a sword is throwing people for a loop? What? Why? What?
Just that it has a sword, but they don't use it until after they get the @#$% beat out of them and taken into the atmosphere. If it were like a massive gun with limited ammo I might understand. But it's a sword. It never runs out of ammo.

Espy

Espy

Oh good lord. :facepalm:

I just, I don't know. I just don't give a shit when they used their sword. Sometimes one can analyze a film to death and this thread seems to be heading in that direction.

strawman

strawman

Here you go. If you can't suspend disbelief there's a simple explanation:

It's very experimental, and hasn't been tested thoroughly. It's sectioned so that it'll wrap around the body and can be stowed, and can even be considered extra armor if unused. It obviously requires a lot of power to stiffen from chain to sword, and it's probably one of the reasons there are two nuclear reactors onboard, rather than one.

All the power has to go through contacts of some sort on the hand to the sword hilt, and after all that fighting there must be some doubt that it would work at all, not only because of the possible contact damage, but also due to possible damage to the sword. This was an unusually large kaiju, and their survival wasn't due to being in a cool machine, but because they knew how to fight.

So it's not brought out in the beginning because it's untested, and it is brought out when there really are no other options because there are no other options.

Further, Mako is essentially riding for the first time - she isn't going to be thinking about that one experimental thing she added to the jaeger months ago, she's thinking about how she doesn't want to die, and how to make that happen, or how awesome it is to be driving and drifting for the first time. Drifting puts people in each others heads, and anything that floats to the subconscious level is seen by the other, but it isn't a mind reading machine - you don't get access to everything the person knows. You do get all their active feelings and thoughts.

If she didn't think about the sword until the critical moment, then neither did what's his name.

The only real plot hole in this whole sword issue is that you can bet what's his name would have read the docket concerning the upgrades to his machine. There's no way he wouldn't become intimately familiar with all the jaeger's new nooks and crannies. He obviously knew how to vent coolant - which may be an old feature, but he couldn't have taken that for granted with the upgrades. (speaking of which, if they were drifting he needn't have told her how to do it, or even to do it - that was just for story exposition - so if the sword thing bothers you, this should really bother you)

Maybe he just accepted "refurbished and with two nuclear power plants rather than one" and didn't bother to look into it further, or maybe he didn't want to think about it due to the issue with his brother in connection with that machine, so you might be able to explain it away, but I don't see that happening.

And if that isn't enough, the final explanation is, "Because it's in the script that way."

Now, using the jaeger action figure, please show the court where the bad movie touched you...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe he just really, really, really wanted to hit the kaiju with a tanker, and he didn't think of using the sword later because it didn't really solve the "falling to death" problem.

Didn't the idea how to survive that come from Idris Elba?

GasBandit

GasBandit

(speaking of which, if they were drifting he needn't have told her how to do it [vent coolant], or even to do it - that was just for story exposition - so if the sword thing bothers you, this should really bother you)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Holy shit I'm amazed anyone in this thread even knows what fun is. Do you tear everything apart to this level? I wanted robots beating the shit out of monsters and I got it. I wanted cities leveled by massive battles and I got it. A GODDAMN ROCKET PUNCH TO THE FACE. This movie made me feel like a kid playing with my old Gundam and Godzilla models and toys again, knocking over Lego houses and Army men. It was 2 full hours of ridiculousness and awesome wrapped in a love-letter to the kaiju/sentai battles of the last few decades.

Jesus Christ, lighten up a little.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

But his sword wasn't explained enough! Oh Oh and the Romance was soooo laaaaame.

:rolleyes:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh Oh and the Romance was soooo laaaaame.

:rolleyes:

. . . You mean "Pacific Rim" isn't a porno set in Hawaii?
Well there goes MY interest!

Far

Far

Seemed to me there were lots of us who were able to love it despite any plotholes or what have you.

D

Dubyamn

Holy shit I'm amazed anyone in this thread even knows what fun is. Do you tear everything apart to this level? I wanted robots beating the shit out of monsters and I got it. I wanted cities leveled by massive battles and I got it. A GODDAMN ROCKET PUNCH TO THE FACE. This movie made me feel like a kid playing with my old Gundam and Godzilla models and toys again, knocking over Lego houses and Army men. It was 2 full hours of ridiculousness and awesome wrapped in a love-letter to the kaiju/sentai battles of the last few decades.

Look I knew that bit with a sword was wonky. Hell that was half what me and my friends talked about after the movie.

Still loved the entire movie and didn't think that it violated any of the rules the genre set for itself.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Loved this movie. 'Nuff said.

Shawn

Shawn

Oh I can enjoy the film and still question the plot holes. Doesn't mean I'm not buying this damn thing on Bluray the second it's available.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh I can enjoy the film and still question the plot holes. Doesn't mean I'm not buying this damn thing on Bluray the second it's available.
Quoted for truth. Apart from the Blueray thing, I don't have a Blueray player.

GasBandit

GasBandit

At last, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things has the answer!

PatrThom

PatrThom

At last, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things has the answer!

I like the alternative "Because I didn't want you to know I was 'packing'" punchline better.

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

If Toho made Pacific Rim

Covar

Covar

If Del Toro made Godzilla:

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I was thinking about going to see Pacific Rim again this week and guess what?

It's already gone from the theater here. Of course Grown Ups 2 is still there this week AND next week.

Screw you movie going public... just screw you.

Terrik

Terrik

Just saw it here in Shanghai last night. Pretty much everything I wanted it to be.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's sad. This movie will make its money back and more through the international market (making over 50% more than North America), but it won't sell anyone over here on a sequel. :(

Far

Far

Huh? I read ahwile back that WB told him to go ahead and start writing the sequel. It was also largely dependant on how it did in China and from what I've read has given them WB their biggest opening ever there.

Frank

Frank

It's sad. This movie will make its money back and more through the international market (making over 50% more than North America), but it won't sell anyone over here on a sequel. :(
Here's hopin' it pulls off enough to warrant a sequel. It's still got a ways to go.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/pac...likely/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bhamv3

bhamv3

I would totally watch the shit out of a sequel.

I would also totally overanalyze the shit out of the sequel.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Timmus

Timmus

Just saw it last night. Loved it. Surprise sword didn't bother me in the least and I'm glad they didn't chekov's gun it.

Espy

Espy

Honestly I don't think we need a sequel. I'd rather see Del Toro move on to more stuff he has his heart set on. Like At the Mountains of Madness.

But I won't turn down a sequel.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Honestly I don't think we need a sequel. I'd rather see Del Toro move on to more stuff he has his heart set on. Like At the Mountains of Madness.

But I won't turn down a sequel.

spoilered for size

Shawn

Shawn

I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel, but I'm not going to be terribly disappointed if we don't see one.

Eriol

Eriol

I don't want a sequel. The story is pretty much finished. The sequel should be "the aliens open up 10 portals at once, and overwhelm us, we're dead, the end." The story is done, as-is. It's not as bad a crime as every Highlander film except the first one, but you get the general idea.

strawman

strawman

Story wise a sequel would have to be them opening up a portal, and us taking the fight to them because we know we can't win on our side of the portal. They've only hit a dozen planets or so, and it's obvious they aren't going to go, "ouch, that hurt too much, lets search the galaxy for a different planet instead..." since there are very few planets that would suit them.

If we somehow develop (or steal) the technology to create portals we could start invading their worlds - and assuming they only keep military capable forces at the locations where they intend to invade, it could be a very different, almost avatar-like, film in many ways.

There are a lot of directions a good sequel could go.

I would say that as-is the story is unfinished. We blew up some military leaders on the other side of the portal, but that's certainly not winning the war.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would say that as-is the story is unfinished. We blew up some military leaders on the other side of the portal,
Thus solving the problem once and for all.

but that's certainly not...

Timmus

Timmus

A movie in which we are the godzillas would be pretty sweet. Good suggestion.

Espy

Espy

I assumed that enemy story was wrapped up, what with all the you know,
nukes

GasBandit

GasBandit

I assumed that enemy story was wrapped up, what with all the you know,
nukes
Because one nuke will surely be the end of any militant spacefaring civilization?

strawman

strawman

Nevermind the fact that a nuclear power plant can't be used as a megaton nuclear weapon.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Nevermind that if they have the technology to make plasma cannons capable of annihilating the Kaijus... why don't they just arm all their tanks, planes, ships and helicopters with them to wipe out the invaders with ease?

strawman

strawman

Well, if we're being rational about it, flesh based kaiju is easily pierced by small missiles or torpedoes, so developing a missile that would pierce and then explode inside the kaiju is trivial. And it would be far cheaper to make millions of these missiles a week than it would be to make even a few big robots.

Shoot, we are about the size of worms to them. We could even inject human submarines inside one with traction capabilities and have the humans tunnel around inside the kaiju until it dies.

Develop a robotic missile that enters the kaiju, roots around until it finds the brains, then mushes them up real good.

But the easiest course of action, of course, is to develop chemical and biological weapons against them. Imagine a missile that injects a few thousands gallons of neurotoxin into one.

Eriol

Eriol

As others on the internet have said, if you have the technology to field giant robots, you have the technology to do something a lot smarter, and cheaper, and more effective.

Timmus

Timmus

But what about cool!?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

As others on the internet have said, if you have the technology to field giant robots, you have the technology to do something a lot smarter, and cheaper, and more effective.

But not nearly as cool.

Timmus

Timmus

In order to get the entire world to cooperate on that scale it had to be cool.

Eriol

Eriol

I agree, the "Rule of Cool" helps a lot. And made a great movie. Poor military tactics, but a great movie.

Timmus

Timmus

And after the kaiju threat is eliminated you could have a great pseudo blood sport going on.[DOUBLEPOST=1375387000][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Jaegermeister must sell so well in that universe.

Eriol

Eriol

"Jaeger" just means "hunter" in German. And since the program was "disgraced" by the beginning of the movie, maybe not!

GasBandit

GasBandit

And after the kaiju threat is eliminated you could have a great pseudo blood sport going on.

Timmus

Timmus

Before my time grandpa!

Far

Far

There will be a kaiju/jaeger hybrid made from anything left behind in their world. Also, I bet Charlie drifting with a hive mind has some ramifications

bhamv3

bhamv3

a few thousands gallons of neurotoxin into one.
I see what you did there.

Tress

Tress

bhamv3

bhamv3

I still say the ending to the Hobbit HISHE video is the best I've ever seen.

evilmike

evilmike

Honest Trailer