[MLB] Opening Day 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how the Dodgers are seemingly trying to claim anyone and everyone off the waiver wires. Is that the stench of desperation I detect? Not to mention it's a blatant attempt at buying a championship, because they can't actually develop enough talent.

Having a problem, fellas? Did that Giant sweep make you realize that it ain't gonna happen this year?

Zappit

Staff member
Holy shit. The Sox are about to trade away Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, and Carl Crawford to the Dodgers, who will also be taking Nick Punto off our hands in exchange for pretty much all their top prospects and James Loney. How big a salary dump is this? Sox had one of the top three payrolls in the league, and will have a payroll of just over $46 million next season. That's $300 million worth of contracts overall.

More Holy Shit: The Dodgers are going to eat 95% of those contracts. Ben Cherington just pulled off the greatest salary dump/fleecing of a trade partner in the history of the game.

And despite the best efforts of one J. Axford to give the game away, the Buccos have their Jolly Roger shot down yet again.

Dear Pittsburgh, Saint Louis and Los Angeles:

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Sincerely,
TBBC

16 over to .500. Sigh.

20 and counting.

[ETA]Reports from sources close to the front office show an organization that is a complete pile of shit. Guys nose deep in their devices rather than paying attention to what's going on on the field. Former players coming back to help the club are met with "who the fuck are you?" Former players who won RINGS with the club before you were a stain on the sheets, asshole.

If I say I'm done with them before the season is over, naturally, they'll go on a tear and break the streak. If I stand pat, they'll be Astros bad the rest of the way. I have a feeling which of those outcomes is the more likely.

I know one thing. If these front office wastes of space aren't gone after the season, I'm not setting foot in PNC next year. And I'm encouraging anyone willing to listen to do the same.

Fuck this noise.

"Goodbye, Pittsburgh, thanks for playing. Here's a copy of the home version of our game, that you can play all during the off-season. Bye-bye now!"

You can only fire people so many times before no one will want to play for you.

Meanwhile, I have completely not expected to be in a playoff race at this time. Less than two games out of the final wild card? You woulda told me that a month ago, I'd have laughed in your face.

It's all but certain the Giants will win their division, and the Dodgers will probably not make the playoffs despite their fanbase being obnoxious douchebags from opening day through August. This makes me happy. Sure, I would love for the Giants to win it all, but if that doesn't happen it will still be a good year.

Suck it, Dodgers!

You can only fire people so many times before no one will want to play for you.

Meanwhile, I have completely not expected to be in a playoff race at this time. Less than two games out of the final wild card? You woulda told me that a month ago, I'd have laughed in your face.
If I'm an agent, I don't let any of my clients sign with the Pirates. Especially not the prospects. I'm not going to let them risk their careers lugging telephone poles on the beach when they're supposed to be working on their changeup.

A drive all the way to Pittsburgh is not an option at present, but I have started the purge of all Pirates gear from my house. Taking the hats and shirts to Goodwill would be far more goodwill than what the club has shown it's fans.

Over 75 years ago, a gentleman from a city on the opposite side of the state made a discovery about baseball fans: they don't attend games when the team is extremely good; they only attend if the team is competitive.

The Pirates have correctly discerned that the way to get people out to their ballpark on the rivers is to be competitive for three-fourths of the season. It got you talking about them back in July, that's for sure. They probably have a lot of season ticket renewals for 2013 already, despite the nose-dive in the standings.

There is only one way for the supporters for ANY team to show their displeasure at a team's actions: stop buying tickets for games and stop buying the team's stuff. Until enough fans do so, some owners will play the Donald Sterling/Bill Bidwell game of just throwing people out there and rake in the profits.

Great! Just in time to watch your new team collapse over the final week of the season, end up in the Wild Card, and lose to the Cardinals!

And the Giants have eliminated the Dodgers from the playoffs.

The sadistic grin on my face is Cheshire Cat sized right now! :D

So the NL is all set: Braves host the Cards in the play-in game, then winner goes to either Washington or Cincinnati.

Wouldn't it be something if the A's win the division, and Texas ends up having to go to Baltimore for the play-in game? Or worse yet, Yankee Stadium?

I'm hoping for a Bay Bridge Series Part II, wherein the Giants win convincingly and every local A's fan shuts their fucking mouth about what happened back in '89.

Well, the Mariners close out this year's season today, ending below 500 once again. I tell ya, it's been a hell of a rebuilding decade. But hey, now that they've finally decided to move the fences in for next year, maybe we'll be able to recruit some sluggers.

So. We have Atlanta hosting Saint Louis, and Texas hosting Baltimore in the "Wild Card Play In" games.

The two defending league champions playing the equivalent of a game seven to get to the next round.

Giants even up their series after being behind by two games. Hope there's enough fight left in them to take it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.