[MLB] Opening Day 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giants with a 2-0 lead in the fifth, and they're still batting.

And Matt Cain on the mound.

Make your NLCS plans now, Giants fans.

EDIT: BOOM. Posey. Good night, Cincinnati, have a nice winter.

O's take the lead on a Nate McLouth solo shot in the 5th.

Wouldn't it be something if the A's beat the Tigers and the Nats and Orioles come back to win game five - making for a Beltway vs. Bay Area post season?

B

BErt

Hey!

Ah, but you do not understand. I dislike your greedy first baseman to no end.
I Actually do understand this, and I'm sorry. I hate seeing that and it sucks. But at least he has some history in Detroit, no?

Muck Fichigan. ;)
Yes, have fun with your 2nd place* finish in your division. ;)

photo.JPG

Still?! This is very unbecoming of the #5 team in the nation. I really, really hope you guys get to beat up on Oregon in the National Championship game...I am so very sick of the SEC.

Anyway, back on topic...hooray baseball! Thank God the Yankees have to use Sabathia tomorrow. It more than makes up for Verlander having to go tonight. I like our starters top to bottom way more than NYY.

(*really 4th if we're counting suspended teams amirite :awesome:)

Three of the four teams remaining are the last three World Series champions. The odds are very good that some familiar faces will be hoisting the trophy in a few weeks.

Welp, I guess it's the Giants by default, then.

It's NEVER a good October when three of your top ten most hated teams are in the post-season.

B

BErt

Tigers pitchers not named Jose Valverde: 28.1 innings, 0 ERA.

Jose Valverde: 1.1 innings, 7 ERA.

There's a lesson here, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. Must be one of those newfangled "saber metric" dealies...

It means Jose Valverde can forget about being offered a multi-million dollar free agent contract from the Yankees or Red Sox anytime soon.

Though it sounds like he'd be perfect for the Pirates' rotation.

Answer: The 1976 World Series.

Question: When was the last time the New York Yankees were swept in a best-of-seven playoff series?

Man... the Mariners' ownership still doesn't freakin' get it. Every year for the past 5 seasons there've been more and more theme nights, give-aways, and nights honoring some past player, all in an attempt to get more people to come to games as attendance plummets because the team has posted losing seasons 7 of the last 10 years. This year's attendance, 1.6 million people, which hit a capacity of only 44.6%, was the lowest in Major League Baseball. So what are they doing to get more people to go to the game next year?

The answer, of course, is obvious. They're raising the ticket prices.

Even the freakin' Cubs aren't raising ticket prices.

What they REALLY need to do is get some players around ol' King Felix. Oh, and a couple of other pitchers who can pitch halfway decent.[DOUBLEPOST=1350939242][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and - GO GIANTS!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how much we can expect from an ownership that's never been to a single home game, except the one that we played in Tokyo at the start of 2012. The overall trend seems to be "anything but a winning team" to sell tickets. Instead, everything focuses around bobblehead nights, and train set giveaways, and other gimmicky crap. Though, at least this year they didn't give out blankets on Native American appreciation night while we played the Cleveland Indians...

I just don't want to see the Cardinals back in the World Series. And I can actually tolerate the Giants, since Baaaaaaaaary left.

Trivia: the Giants and Tigers have never faced each other in the World Series, despite being two teams having played in their respective leagues for over 110 years.

Ultimate Geekery: Giants are 7-5 in interleague play against the Tigers. Giants won the last three-game series against the Tigers, back in 2011.

Everyone seems to think the Giants are going to get destroyed by the Tigers. Good. The Giants do best when they're the underdogs. No one thought they could make it to the WS in 2010, and certainly no one thought they could win it.

B

BErt

Nuh uh, you're not allowed to use "Nobody believes in us." It's too powerful.

The AL Central is a joke; we only won 88 games in the regular season. That's only good enough for the 7th best record in the AL. We have no business being in the playoffs. Our starting pitchers have been great, but there's no way that's sustainable against the Giants. None. Plus, our defense is horrible.

Nobody believes in us!

...please, nobody believe in us?

I'm just amused because this is the first time I wouldn't have minded so much if the Yankees won the World Series - so Ichiro could finally get a ring. Aside from that... I'd love to see the Tigers win and bring some pride back to Detroit for at least a little while.

B

BErt

Hey, are you guys watching a baseball game? Because I turned on Fox and they're just showing live coverage of an abortion. Maybe it's a regional coverage thing?

Kudos to Panda though. Holy hell what a game.

It's nice to see Panda and Zito do so well, since they were the 2 big names left out of the 2010 World Series.

B

BErt

Valverde held Sandoval to a base hit! In your face Panda!

...I need alcohol.

The guy who sang "God Bless America" tonight graduated from my high school! He's the younger brother of a guy in our marching band that we were all friends with!

Status
Not open for further replies.