Export thread

Opening Day 2012

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's finally here. First pitch in Tokyo in less than an hour.

2012 has been the target Pirates ownership has been pointing to for years. Who knew they were pointing at year 20 of the streak? Keeping K-dro Alvarez on the major league roster is just the kind of boneheaded move that will make "here we go again" the motto of this year's bunch of Buccos.

And yet, none of that will stop me from trying to make as many games in person as I possibly can, or cheering my lungs out when I'm there, in front of the TV, or listening to the radio.

Play frickin' ball! :D

Covar

Covar

Why do they have to make it Wednesday?!

I'll be buying MLB.tv later this week (payday tomorrow!).

Null

Null

It's finally here. First pitch in Tokyo in less than an hour.

2012 has been the target Pirates ownership has been pointing to for years. Who knew they were pointing at year 20 of the streak? Keeping K-dro Alvarez on the major league roster is just the kind of boneheaded move that will make "here we go again" the motto of this year's bunch of Buccos.

And yet, none of that will stop me from trying to make as many games in person as I possibly can, or cheering my lungs out when I'm there, in front of the TV, or listening to the radio.

Play frickin' ball! :D
Well, at least you got AJ Burnett...

PotaDOS

I read today that the Reds signed Joey Votto to a ten-year extension worth $225 million. He's signed through 2023, with a club option for 2024.

What is this, I don't even?

Piotyr

Piotyr

I read today that the Reds signed Joey Votto to a ten-year extension worth $225 million. He's signed through 2023, with a club option for 2024.

What is this, I don't even?
Plus, he has a full no-trade clause, so he's a Red as long as he wants to be one.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So much for that good start to the season.

Did I mention how much I HATE the Cardinals?

BErt

Oof...Verlander goes into the 9th inning with only 81 pitches thrown and just completely melts down. Heartbreaking.

At least hockey is on tonight...? I predict I will be drinking heavily regardless of the Wings/Preds result. Do not bet against this.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And hopefully it will be because of the great pain we will inflict upon you.

Chase it down with some Visene, too, kay?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, what you REALLY need to do is fire the owner.

And the only way you do that is to STOP GOING TO GAMES.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No, what you REALLY need to do is fire the owner.

And the only way you do that is to STOP GOING TO GAMES.
And what will that accomplish? Will replacing the Nuttings suddenly stop Alvarez from striking out every at bat? How will a change that far up fix this year's Pirates?

Hurdle and Ritchie are supposed to be hitting gurus. Days like today have been the norm since they arrived.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I didn't say it'd fix anything THIS year. You have what's called a "culture issue" in Pittsburgh.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A culture issue doesn't fix the woeful hitting. Ray Searage has done a great job improving the pitching. That looks to have carried over into this year.

The fans have been told over and over that this was the target year. Was the target to be the first Pirates team to be no hit since '71?

Getting rid of the hitting coach for a team that couldn't hit in a t-ball game shows that this is an unacceptable situation.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, now, there's your first problem: Ray Searage was part of our "Brew Crud" squad pre-NL.

Null

Null

Okay, there's a 4-way tie for 1st in the AL east, between the Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Rays. Basically everyone who isn't the Red Sox. That's pretty cool. :awesome:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well, now, there's your first problem: Ray Searage was part of our "Brew Crud" squad pre-NL.
And yet with the job he's done here after just one season, people should be tossing rose petals at his feet.

Null

Null

The Red Sox managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, giving up a 9-run lead in the 5th to lose 15-9 to the Yankees. This is after losing the series opener, on the 100th Anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park, 6-2 to the Yankees. Bobby Valentine's job is already looking less than secure, 2 weeks into the season.

As a Yankees fan, all I can say is WOOOHOOO! :awesome:

Tress

Tress

The Giants blew a gift-wrapped opportunity against the Mets today. All it took was putting their nearly-immobile first baseman at second (where he had never played before), then watch as he flails about in a fog of confusion rather than try to turn a double-play.

Tress

Tress

Thankfully it was only a temporary thing. The shortstop had to lead the game, the second baseman slid over to play short, and the backup shortstop was sick. Still, the backup first baseman is younger and more athletic, and he should have been the one to try playing second.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well, at least you got AJ Burnett...
Hell yeah! Nice debut for the Buccos, eh? :D

Covar

Covar

The Red Sox managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, giving up a 9-run lead in the 5th to lose 15-9 to the Yankees. This is after losing the series opener, on the 100th Anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park, 6-2 to the Yankees. Bobby Valentine's job is already looking less than secure, 2 weeks into the season.

As a Yankees fan, all I can say is WOOOHOOO! :awesome:
:fu: I turned it off in the 4th damn it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

GO ASTROS!!!! And take the Rockets with you!

ElJuski

ElJuski

White Sox hat comes in the mail same day Humber throws a perfect game. COINCIDENCE!? Yeah, but still pretty funny. Also, I want to start following baseball again, and especially the White Sox, but NOW I CANT :( :(

Covar

Covar

You're in DC, start watching the Nation...ahahahahahahahhahaha :rofl:

ElJuski

ElJuski

>: I

(although the cheap tickets are pretty awesome)

Covar

Covar

>: I

(although the cheap tickets are pretty awesome)
At least you have a hometown team. I pull for the Yankees because they're my grandfather's team, plus my whole family is from NY originally (I've been in NC longer than I ever lived in NY though). It's why I'm a Giants fan. Funny enough though MLB considers the Orioles and the Nationals home market teams for my city. :facepalm:

/me makes note to go watch the Durham Bulls more this year.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well, the Giants' Pablo Sandoval ends his hitting streak to start the season at 20 games. Not bad, Pablo. Not bad at all.

jwhouk

jwhouk

DA just loves Josh Harrison about now.

Doesn't do anything for the 12-strikeout one-hit shutout by the reigning AL MVP, though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't be so sure about that. The pirates had four guys in the starting lineup hitting .200 or lower. That's unacceptable. A no-hitter would get more folks' attention that the hitting coach needs to go.

Unfortunately, it's not getting much better. The Pirates' AAA team in Indy hasn't scored in 40 innings.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Wait, I thought the Pirates were a Triple-A team?

;)

Covar

Covar

Did they not watch any Cowboy games last season? :rimshot:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Aaron Rodgers has better form on the mound. Only problem is his rather strange delivery...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yo, Tony Plush...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Pirates fans get annoying when they actually win a game or two.

Thankfully, they don't do that very often.

And also thankfully, there aren't too many Pirates fans out there, either. ;)

Tress

Tress

Hey, Dodgers! Look in the rear view mirror. Someone's getting closer...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Matt Cain = PERFECTION!!!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

What's more notable is, it's the first in Giants history. Think about that for a while. Over 120 years of great pitchers - Christy Mathewson, Carl Hubbell, Juan Marichal, Amose Rusie, Joe McGinnity, Gaylord Perry, Rube Marquard - and the Giants didn't have a single pitcher throw a perfect game before last night.

Tress

Tress

He has to be one of the most deserving guys ever. For starters, he's a nice guy that people love around the clubhouse. Cain has also been one of the league's best pitchers for years, but his record looks awful do to nonexistent run support. I don't know how many times he's pitched 7+ innings and lost 1-0, or 2-1. Lincecum is the one with all the fame and accolades (and he truly earned them), so it was nice to see Cain get the spotlight for once.

I'm also excited that the Giants finally hit some homers at AT&T Park. That was getting embarrassing.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Geez, isn't this like the sixth or seventh time the M's have been on the bad side of a pitching performance?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Even after the disaster in Baltimore, the Pirates are still over .500. Time to go to Cleveland and see if it lasts.

I fucking HATE interleague baseball.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants complete a 3-game total shutout sweep of the Dodgers and are now tied for the NL West lead. Life is good.

Tress

Tress

jwhouk

jwhouk

Should have a bunch of zeroes being swept away with that.

Tress

Tress

I'm amazed (and a little disappointed) there are no Dodger fans on this board.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The Giants complete four shutouts in a row and are now in SOLE possession of first place in the NL West! :thumbsup:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Did Mike diMuro call him out on the play?

;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

The question always is that, are umpires really this bad, or is it just that every game is televised now and the mistakes are magnified where they weren't in years past?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, the Giants scoreless inning streak ended pretty quick there.

Tress

Tress

Yeah, Matt Cain's having an off night. Oh well, it was an awesome streak while it lasted.

Tress

Tress

Wow, nothing makes people complain more than when an All-Star roster is announced. Even the teams with the most players still find time to complain about how this player or that player was snubbed.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Can you imagine how much worse it would be if they didn't require each team to have one representative on the squad?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Can you imagine how much worse it would be if they didn't require each team to have one representative on the squad?
How many years was Burnitz the only Brewer at the ASG? ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

I don't know, why don't you ask Lloyd McClendon how many times he was the only rep for the Pi-rates at the ASG? ;)

(Pot, kettle, black, buddy.)

Covar

Covar

Like the NHL does (and NFL, but no one gives a shit about the pro-bowl)? It would be horrible. Especially since there's always politics involved in picking the teams anyway.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Did that really just happen in Milwaukee?

That had to be the worst game I've ever seen played by two teams, and yet somehow the Milwaukee Brewers, on their last at-bat of the game, won it on a homer by Aramis Ramirez.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ZOLTAN!

jwhouk

jwhouk

...and yet the park was only two-thirds full.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

...and yet the park was only two-thirds full.
So? When it's 100F or more out, and you're one of the million or so still without power since Friday, where are *you* gonna be?

Plus... it's Houston.

jwhouk

jwhouk

What's that? I can hear you over the wave of excuses.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

'Scuse me? Can't hear you when you're all the way down there...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Now that I've looked at the box score, wait a cotton-pickin minute here! 95% is a lot more than 2/3, bub. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

To paraphrase the great Leo Durocher: "...Is Seattle still in the league?"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants hitters responsible for five of the eight runs in the All-Star game tonight. You're welcome, National League!

Tress

Tress

Listen, Mets fans. Yes, Wright probably should have started. And you could make a case for Dickey being the starting pitcher. Okay. Fine. But those are relatively minor snubs, especially compared to those deserving players who weren't even selected for the team.

There was absolutely no reason to lose your shit like that.

The fans that started a petition to have Sandoval removed from the game? Go fuck yourselves. The writer on Bleacher Report who called Sandoval "the slowest player in MLB" and kept calling him "Fatty"? You can go fuck yourself too. The twits that trolled SF Giants message boards, talking about how Cain was overrated and didn't deserve to be on the team? The same guys who hoped someone from the AL would break Buster Posey's leg again because he didn't deserve to be there? Guess what, you can fuck right off.

Something about the All-Star game brings out the worst in baseball fans.

Having said that, I was happy to see the Giants play so well on the national stage. It was a fun game (on mute, since those announcers are brain dead).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm willing to bet all of the above was instigated by Dodger fans. ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Friday is the day the second half of the season begins.

Or, as DA refers to it, "the day the Pirates start their long slide down into second division." ;)

And the Milwaukee Brewers will be there to assist them. :)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Or as I refer to it: "football seasons a-comin!"

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Okay Giants, I'm happy for you, I really am. You ended up winning tonight against the Braves and are now on a 5-game win streak, and that's great! But it's just that . . . CASILLA . . . just . . . AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!1!!!!!!!1! . . . !

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Prince got knocked down in the 2nd inning tonight. Instead of charging the mound, he bided his time... then lined one right back through the box. :D

Tress

Tress

Okay Giants, I'm happy for you, I really am. You ended up winning tonight against the Braves and are now on a 5-game win streak, and that's great! But it's just that . . . CASILLA . . . just . . . AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!1!!!!!!!1! . . . !
If that man ever gets to close another game, I will personally drive over to the stadium and smack Bochy upside the head. They need to limit Casilla to the 8th inning or earlier, and make Romo the closer. This shit is getting ridiculous. He's blown 4 of his last 5 save opportunities! At what point do you realize he isn't the guy?

And fuck you, Brian Wilson's elbow. Way to be selfish.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Um, Wow.

Rich getting richer.

Tress

Tress

Melky Cabrera: "Run! Save yourselves!"

(shamelessly stolen from deadspin.com)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tress

Tress

Wait, this new guy the Dodgers got sucks? He blows saves? That's music to my ears. :D

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not going to panic... not going to panic...

The chattering classes are demanding a bat, a known quantity bat, in order to make a run at the Reds the rest of the way. I'm not so sure. The pitching has slipped dramatically since just before the Break. Correia has been demoted to the bullpen and has demanded a trade. Mac Donald has been shaky his last few starts, and Bedard just doesn't have it. The bullpen is solid, although Hanrahan is showing signs of overwork. Give me another starter so I'm not tempted to change the channel every time the opponents are at bat.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't look at us to leapfrog you. We've already run the white flag up over our bullpen ballpark.

Tress

Tress

The Giants got Hunter Pence for a steal. That is a massive upgrade for them. Nice work. Now that teams are set, it's time to see what the Giants are really made of. They have all the offensive weapons they need to be competitive. No, they're not an offensive powerhouse by any means, but they've got a solid core of hitters who can get on base and get some RBIs. The starting rotation is still good, and it will be one of the best if Lincecum can pull his head out of his ass. The bullpen is shaky for some reason right now, but they're a talented group who can come together and dominate when everything is clicking. I like the Giants' chances for winning the NL West, but the Dodgers are no pushovers.

Also, fuck ESPN. Fuck their bullshit biased baseball coverage.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

*looks at Astros' starting lineup*

*opens up bag containing fucks given about baseball*

*empties all over the ground, burns bag, runs away*

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Now Giants need to do something about Casilla. Seriously.

Tress

Tress

Just make him a setup guy, like he was before Brian Wilson got hurt. He's comfortable in that role. He can excel in that role. Then make Romo or Affeldt close the game. Affeldt's been closing pretty well lately.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Let me take this moment to thank all our resident Yankee fans for A. J. Burnett. :D

Tress

Tress

Let me take this moment to thank all our resident Yankee fans for A. J. Burnett. :D
Wow, do the Pirates look brilliant after that trade!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And A. J. is just a happier person now that he's in Pittsburgh. He's having fun now, and that fun has rubbed off on the rest of the team. So has the winning attitude.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...and I could still see you guys miss the division, get to the wild card game and lose in extra innings.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

...and I could still see you guys miss the division, get to the wild card game and lose in extra innings.
Which meant we still had a better season than Milwaukee and St. Louis. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Considering that Saint Louis might be your opponent.... :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Really Melky? REALLY?!
facepalm-jesus.png

Tress

Tress

Fuck you Cabrera. It took about 20 minutes after the announcement for me to hear about how the entire Giants organization is some evil, corrupt 'roid-dealing empire. We're going to have to hear this shit for a while because of you.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

On a happier note, congrats to the Mariners' Felix Hernandez on his perfect game today!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone want to pull Gared down from the ceiling? We don't want him to float away after what King Felix did this afternoon.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

They should try testosterone. Apparently it's been doing WONDERS for my team this season. :(

Tress

Tress

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't have the numbers in front of me, but how many no-hitters or perfect games have the Rays now had thrown against them? They're the most common victim over the last three or four years, if memory serves.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And amazingly, as bad as the last 20 years have been in Pittsburgh, they haven't been no-hit since Bob Gibson did it in 1971.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Of course, you know what's going to happen to them tonight, right?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Verlander came close...

BErt

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320817106

Miguel Cabrera + Prince Fielder: 4-6, 3HR, 5 RBI

All other Tigers: 1-23, 4Ks

This is why they make ALL the money

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tress

Tress

I'm getting tired of self-proclaimed experts who pop out of the woodwork to say "I told you so!" about players.

"Oh, Colon got caught? That's no surprise. There have been rumors about him for months. People in baseball know who's using PEDs and who isn't."

Fuck off. If you know someone is cheating, then fucking say it now. Don't wait until they get caught and then claim you knew it was coming. I'm willing to bet you "experts" don't know shit and are just as surprised as the rest of us.

Tress

Tress

Or, they won't be able to sell people on the idea that they're baseball experts if they don't claim to have known everything beforehand! We can't have that!

(I'm looking at you, Kirkjian. Stick to convoluted stats and stop trying to convince people you know everything that's going on in every locker room.)

Tress

Tress

Yes, I also look for actual information and analysis rather than rumors and smug declarations of omniscience. We're funny that way, I suppose.

jwhouk

jwhouk

What exactly IS a "statistical abnormality"? And is it strange to anyone that three of the last four players who have been suspended for PED use happen to be from Latin American countries?

Tress

Tress

And is it strange to anyone that three of the last four players who have been suspended for PED use happen to be from Latin American countries?
Given the huge numbers of Latin players that make up the population of baseball players as a whole, no.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Always a good night when the Giants sweep the Dodgers! :drunk:

Tress

Tress

Fuck off. If you know someone is cheating, then fucking say it now. Don't wait until they get caught and then claim you knew it was coming. I'm willing to bet you "experts" don't know shit and are just as surprised as the rest of us.
When I said this, I didn't mean throw around wild accusations.

Skip Bayless suggested that Derek Jeter is using HGH... with zero evidence to back it up.

Fuck you, Bayless. You're still a worthless moron, and I don't know why ESPN keeps giving you airtime to drool into a microphone. Shouldn't you be off somewhere sucking Tebow's dick?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Responding to an insinuation with an off-color ad hominum is farcical.

Covar

Covar

Tress

Tress

I love how the Dodgers are seemingly trying to claim anyone and everyone off the waiver wires. Is that the stench of desperation I detect? Not to mention it's a blatant attempt at buying a championship, because they can't actually develop enough talent.

Having a problem, fellas? Did that Giant sweep make you realize that it ain't gonna happen this year?

Zappit

Zappit

Holy shit. The Sox are about to trade away Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, and Carl Crawford to the Dodgers, who will also be taking Nick Punto off our hands in exchange for pretty much all their top prospects and James Loney. How big a salary dump is this? Sox had one of the top three payrolls in the league, and will have a payroll of just over $46 million next season. That's $300 million worth of contracts overall.

More Holy Shit: The Dodgers are going to eat 95% of those contracts. Ben Cherington just pulled off the greatest salary dump/fleecing of a trade partner in the history of the game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And despite the best efforts of one J. Axford to give the game away, the Buccos have their Jolly Roger shot down yet again.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The salary dump by the Red Sox is enough to pay for the entire budget of Lynn, Massachusetts for FY2012-13.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And in the NL West, the countdown has officially begun!
Countdown Begins.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dear Pittsburgh, Saint Louis and Los Angeles:

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Sincerely,
TBBC

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

16 over to .500. Sigh.

20 and counting.

[ETA]Reports from sources close to the front office show an organization that is a complete pile of shit. Guys nose deep in their devices rather than paying attention to what's going on on the field. Former players coming back to help the club are met with "who the fuck are you?" Former players who won RINGS with the club before you were a stain on the sheets, asshole.

If I say I'm done with them before the season is over, naturally, they'll go on a tear and break the streak. If I stand pat, they'll be Astros bad the rest of the way. I have a feeling which of those outcomes is the more likely.

I know one thing. If these front office wastes of space aren't gone after the season, I'm not setting foot in PNC next year. And I'm encouraging anyone willing to listen to do the same.

Fuck this noise.

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Goodbye, Pittsburgh, thanks for playing. Here's a copy of the home version of our game, that you can play all during the off-season. Bye-bye now!"

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Save it. I'm in no mood for jokes right now. Check out the comment by "BarryVanBonilla":
http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2012/09/19/wakeup-call-worst-season-of-all/

I'm ready to pack up all my Pirates gear and hand deliver it to their offices and request it be given to that weasel Stark.

drifter

drifter

I know we gots Giants fans up in here.

jwhouk

jwhouk

#BREWLIEVE

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Raise the white flag.

Fire EVERYBODY.

Gutless. Fucking gutless.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You can only fire people so many times before no one will want to play for you.

Meanwhile, I have completely not expected to be in a playoff race at this time. Less than two games out of the final wild card? You woulda told me that a month ago, I'd have laughed in your face.

Tress

Tress

It's all but certain the Giants will win their division, and the Dodgers will probably not make the playoffs despite their fanbase being obnoxious douchebags from opening day through August. This makes me happy. Sure, I would love for the Giants to win it all, but if that doesn't happen it will still be a good year.

Suck it, Dodgers!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You can only fire people so many times before no one will want to play for you.

Meanwhile, I have completely not expected to be in a playoff race at this time. Less than two games out of the final wild card? You woulda told me that a month ago, I'd have laughed in your face.
If I'm an agent, I don't let any of my clients sign with the Pirates. Especially not the prospects. I'm not going to let them risk their careers lugging telephone poles on the beach when they're supposed to be working on their changeup.

A drive all the way to Pittsburgh is not an option at present, but I have started the purge of all Pirates gear from my house. Taking the hats and shirts to Goodwill would be far more goodwill than what the club has shown it's fans.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Over 75 years ago, a gentleman from a city on the opposite side of the state made a discovery about baseball fans: they don't attend games when the team is extremely good; they only attend if the team is competitive.

The Pirates have correctly discerned that the way to get people out to their ballpark on the rivers is to be competitive for three-fourths of the season. It got you talking about them back in July, that's for sure. They probably have a lot of season ticket renewals for 2013 already, despite the nose-dive in the standings.

There is only one way for the supporters for ANY team to show their displeasure at a team's actions: stop buying tickets for games and stop buying the team's stuff. Until enough fans do so, some owners will play the Donald Sterling/Bill Bidwell game of just throwing people out there and rake in the profits.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants 2012 NL West Champs.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nice. Three NL playoff berths down, three to go.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So...

Coonelly says everyone is staying.

I'm going. My Pirates gear is headed for the dumpster on the way to work. Every last scrap I can find. I'm putting the team on ignore. No TV, no radio, not going to any games as long as that crew is in charge.

Go Nats.

[ETA]and this...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Great! Just in time to watch your new team collapse over the final week of the season, end up in the Wild Card, and lose to the Cardinals!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And the Giants have eliminated the Dodgers from the playoffs.

The sadistic grin on my face is Cheshire Cat sized right now! :D

Tress

Tress

Thanks for playing Dodgers! Buh-bye!

jwhouk

jwhouk

So the NL is all set: Braves host the Cards in the play-in game, then winner goes to either Washington or Cincinnati.

Wouldn't it be something if the A's win the division, and Texas ends up having to go to Baltimore for the play-in game? Or worse yet, Yankee Stadium?

Tress

Tress

I'm hoping for a Bay Bridge Series Part II, wherein the Giants win convincingly and every local A's fan shuts their fucking mouth about what happened back in '89.

Gared

Gared

Well, the Mariners close out this year's season today, ending below 500 once again. I tell ya, it's been a hell of a rebuilding decade. But hey, now that they've finally decided to move the fences in for next year, maybe we'll be able to recruit some sluggers.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The Oakland A's take the AL West on the last day of the season. THAT was impressive!

jwhouk

jwhouk

And Teddy wins in Washington. FINALLY.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So. We have Atlanta hosting Saint Louis, and Texas hosting Baltimore in the "Wild Card Play In" games.

The two defending league champions playing the equivalent of a game seven to get to the next round.

Tress

Tress

A friend just gave me my birthday present early:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

^
EPIC_BROFIST_by_Stack23.gif

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants even up their series after being behind by two games. Hope there's enough fight left in them to take it tomorrow.

Tress

Tress

Shhh... we don't want to jinx anything.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I see the curse of DarkAudit is in full swing: Cards up 2-1 in their series vs. the Nats.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Giants with a 2-0 lead in the fifth, and they're still batting.

And Matt Cain on the mound.

Make your NLCS plans now, Giants fans.

EDIT: BOOM. Posey. Good night, Cincinnati, have a nice winter.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Five outs away.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The last three outs are the hardest to get.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wow.[DOUBLEPOST=1349989317][/DOUBLEPOST]Goodbye, Cincinnati.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants baseball = torture. That's always been the rule.
Now to see if the A's can complete THEIR comeback too.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nats force game five.

jwhouk

jwhouk

O's take the lead on a Nate McLouth solo shot in the 5th.

Wouldn't it be something if the A's beat the Tigers and the Nats and Orioles come back to win game five - making for a Beltway vs. Bay Area post season?

BErt

Now to see if the A's can complete THEIR comeback too.
NO.

Wouldn't it be something if the A's beat the Tigers...
NO.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ah, but you do not understand. I dislike your greedy first baseman to no end.

Go A's. Muck Fichigan. ;)

BErt

Hey!

Ah, but you do not understand. I dislike your greedy first baseman to no end.
I Actually do understand this, and I'm sorry. I hate seeing that and it sucks. But at least he has some history in Detroit, no?

Muck Fichigan. ;)
Yes, have fun with your 2nd place* finish in your division. ;)

photo.JPG

Still?! This is very unbecoming of the #5 team in the nation. I really, really hope you guys get to beat up on Oregon in the National Championship game...I am so very sick of the SEC.

Anyway, back on topic...hooray baseball! Thank God the Yankees have to use Sabathia tomorrow. It more than makes up for Verlander having to go tonight. I like our starters top to bottom way more than NYY.

(*really 4th if we're counting suspended teams amirite :awesome:)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Wow, I can't believe St. Louis pulled that off!

Cardinals Vs. Giants for the NL Championship!

Tress

Tress

Three of the four teams remaining are the last three World Series champions. The odds are very good that some familiar faces will be hoisting the trophy in a few weeks.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, I guess it's the Giants by default, then.

It's NEVER a good October when three of your top ten most hated teams are in the post-season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And I guess the Dark Audit curse continues...

BErt

Tigers pitchers not named Jose Valverde: 28.1 innings, 0 ERA.

Jose Valverde: 1.1 innings, 7 ERA.

There's a lesson here, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. Must be one of those newfangled "saber metric" dealies...

jwhouk

jwhouk

It means Jose Valverde can forget about being offered a multi-million dollar free agent contract from the Yankees or Red Sox anytime soon.

Though it sounds like he'd be perfect for the Pirates' rotation.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Answer: The 1976 World Series.

Question: When was the last time the New York Yankees were swept in a best-of-seven playoff series?

Gared

Gared

Man... the Mariners' ownership still doesn't freakin' get it. Every year for the past 5 seasons there've been more and more theme nights, give-aways, and nights honoring some past player, all in an attempt to get more people to come to games as attendance plummets because the team has posted losing seasons 7 of the last 10 years. This year's attendance, 1.6 million people, which hit a capacity of only 44.6%, was the lowest in Major League Baseball. So what are they doing to get more people to go to the game next year?

The answer, of course, is obvious. They're raising the ticket prices.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Even the freakin' Cubs aren't raising ticket prices.

What they REALLY need to do is get some players around ol' King Felix. Oh, and a couple of other pitchers who can pitch halfway decent.[DOUBLEPOST=1350939242][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and - GO GIANTS!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I'm not really sure how much we can expect from an ownership that's never been to a single home game, except the one that we played in Tokyo at the start of 2012. The overall trend seems to be "anything but a winning team" to sell tickets. Instead, everything focuses around bobblehead nights, and train set giveaways, and other gimmicky crap. Though, at least this year they didn't give out blankets on Native American appreciation night while we played the Cleveland Indians...

Tress

Tress

Oh, and - GO GIANTS!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that.
Indeed. Let's go Giants!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just don't want to see the Cardinals back in the World Series. And I can actually tolerate the Giants, since Baaaaaaaaary left.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

YOUR National League Champions:

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!!!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Trivia: the Giants and Tigers have never faced each other in the World Series, despite being two teams having played in their respective leagues for over 110 years.

Ultimate Geekery: Giants are 7-5 in interleague play against the Tigers. Giants won the last three-game series against the Tigers, back in 2011.

Tress

Tress

Everyone seems to think the Giants are going to get destroyed by the Tigers. Good. The Giants do best when they're the underdogs. No one thought they could make it to the WS in 2010, and certainly no one thought they could win it.

BErt

Nuh uh, you're not allowed to use "Nobody believes in us." It's too powerful.

The AL Central is a joke; we only won 88 games in the regular season. That's only good enough for the 7th best record in the AL. We have no business being in the playoffs. Our starting pitchers have been great, but there's no way that's sustainable against the Giants. None. Plus, our defense is horrible.

Nobody believes in us!

...please, nobody believe in us?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dude, we might buy that if it weren't for two things:

* Miguel Cabrera, and
* Justin Verlander.

BErt

Aww, hamburgers... :(

Gared

Gared

I'm just amused because this is the first time I wouldn't have minded so much if the Yankees won the World Series - so Ichiro could finally get a ring. Aside from that... I'd love to see the Tigers win and bring some pride back to Detroit for at least a little while.

BErt

Hey, are you guys watching a baseball game? Because I turned on Fox and they're just showing live coverage of an abortion. Maybe it's a regional coverage thing?

Kudos to Panda though. Holy hell what a game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Panda panda panda panda PAAAAANDDDAAAAAA!

The question before the court now is - can he make it FOUR?

Tress

Tress

It's nice to see Panda and Zito do so well, since they were the 2 big names left out of the 2010 World Series.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Dear Lord, is this a good night! :D

BErt

Valverde held Sandoval to a base hit! In your face Panda!

...I need alcohol.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The guy who sang "God Bless America" tonight graduated from my high school! He's the younger brother of a guy in our marching band that we were all friends with!

jwhouk

jwhouk

When crazy bounces go your way, you know you're facing destiny.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Game 2: GIANTS!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

2012 SF Giants Champions Logo.png

Tress

Tress

Awwww yeah!

Gared

Gared

Well, that was a bit anti-climactic. It's almost like the AL tried just as hard to win the Series as they did to win the All Star Game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Average number of games in World Series, 1995-2012 (LDS/LCS era, best-of-five/best-of-seven): 5.33.
Average number of games in World Series, 1985-1994 (LCS era, best-of-seven): 5.89.
Average number of games in World Series, 1969-1984 (LCS era, best-of-five): 5.94.
Average number of games in World Series, 1922-1968 (WS only, best-of-seven): 5.83.

The trend appears to be, the more series you play, the shorter the World Series will be.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Ugh, this is horribly entertaining!:

jwhouk

jwhouk

That is just. Just.

I think we're just about done with this thread; only thing left is the MVP's and CYA's and ROTY's.

My picks:

MVP: Miggy in the AL, Posey in the NL.
CYA: David Price, Jerred Weaver
ROTY: Trout in the AL, Don't really know in the NL.

Tress

Tress

Posey should be the MVP, no doubt. But if Cabrera doesn't win MVP in the AL then there needs to be rioting in the streets. That Triple Crown's not exactly easy to get.

jwhouk

jwhouk

(Smack)
Geez, what was I thinking? Bryce Harper.

BErt

I'm more confident of Miggy getting MVP after Trout didn't even win the gold glove. If you asked me a month ago I would have said it was for sure going to Trout. There was just too much media hype around him.

Tress

Tress

A final Giants celebration:

Zappit

Zappit

Virtually everybody on the Marlins roster making over a million dollars just got shipped to Toronto, with more trades anticipated. Marlins payroll drops from 108 mil to just 40 mil, and could go as low as 30 mil. This comes after Jeffrey Loria fleeced Florida to the tune of half a billion dollars for his shiny, ugly-ass new stadium. This guy gets to own a team - two, actually - he personally oversaw the destruction of the Expos. Yet Mark Cuban, one of the most passionate and driven owners in sports is actively discouraged from owning an MLB team. Bud really should do something this time. Loria's given MLB far too many black eyes over the years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Two guys with Tennessee ties could end up with the Cy Young Awards by this time tomorrow.

Gared

Gared

The management and ownership of the Mariners continue to prove, day in and day out, that they have no clue how to run a successful baseball franchise. They've just announced a $10M expenditure this off-season. But they're not buying a second star pitcher, or a star catcher, or a slugger... or any other position player. They're buying the largest 1080p video monitor in the major leagues. It'll be over a city block long, and be able to be split (using special software) to show multiple different things at a single time, like scores, player stats, live feed of the game, and replays. All of this because "fans are more and more interested these days in seeing the stats of individual players." You know what else fans are interested in, Moroners? Winning fucking teams.

Tress

Tress

It could be worse...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

2012 NL MVP: Buster Posey!

Tress

Tress

Final results:

Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout (AL - LA Angels), Bryce Harper (NL - Washington Nationals)

Manager of the Year: Bob Melvin (AL - Oakland A's), Davey Johnson (NL - Washington Nationals)

Cy Young: David Price (AL - Tampa Bay Rays), R.A. Dickey (NL - NY Mets)

MVP: Miguel Cabrera (AL - Detroit Tigers), Buster Posey (NL - SF Giants)

jwhouk

jwhouk

The only real surprise is Price and the CYA in the AL. I think many fans thought it was going to be renamed the Justin Verlander Award.

Strange thing: Verlander got more votes for AL MVP than Price did.

BErt

I really was worried that Miggy wouldn't get MVP right up until they announced it. Thank God there are still old baseball writers. If this same scenario happens 20 years from now, the sabermetrics crowd wins.

Zappit

Zappit

Melky Cabrera now signs with the Jays. As a diehard Sox fan, am I unnerved by what's going on in Canada? (And has an American ever been unnerved by anything happening in Canada?) not really. They just picked up nearly two hundred millions dollars worth of losing ballclub, and signed a star who will see a drop in stats provided he plays clean.

Orioles are still the up and comers in the East, and will be the better birds. My team won't have the magic again for at least a few years, but I've waited longer...

Tress

Tress

As a Giants fan, I say good riddance. They've had enough problems being pegged as 'roided-out cheaters.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, there was no way the Giants were going to keep him after what he did. They got tired of that crap after the whole Bonds fiasco. I'm actually surprised they still have Mota on the roster too.

Gared

Gared

Dear Jack Z. What the actual fuck? Do you have a fetish for injury-prone, has-been outfielders? You trade away Trayvon Robinson (who did pretty damn well playing in a reserve capacity last season, one of our few bright spots), for Robert Andino, then fail to offer Andino a contract, then agree to a one-year contract with him, then agree to a one-year deal for a guy whose BA last year was .165, who hit a grand total of 8 HRs and 20 RBIs? And who's been injured almost as frequently as Guti? I know you're better than the last guy we had running the front office, but that stopped being good enough the year after you replaced him. How about you admit you don't have the foggiest fuckin' clue what you're doing and get out?

jwhouk

jwhouk

(Looks at calendar)

Only 72 more days before P&C report.

drifter

drifter

Damn. Ryan Freel killed himself yesterday.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Really bad day for baseball fans: first, Earl Weaver passes away while on an Orioles Fantasy Cruise; then word comes from Florida that Stan "The Man" Musial passed away.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

When I was a kid, the big bully on the block wasn't the Yankees, it was the Orioles. RIP, Earl.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Same here. That's one thing we both have in common, though - we both beat him and his O's once upon a time.

But only once.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Same here. That's one thing we both have in common, though - we both beat him and his O's once upon a time.

But only once.
Twice. '71 and '79.

But I was only old enough to enjoy the second one.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hmph. We only got him the last time, in '82. And it took us all 162 games to do it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Piotyr

Piotyr

For any Braves fans in the audience...

jwhouk

jwhouk

They should see if they can get Moises Alou out of retirement. He's only one who could deal with two brothers.