[MLB] Opening Day 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's finally here. First pitch in Tokyo in less than an hour.

2012 has been the target Pirates ownership has been pointing to for years. Who knew they were pointing at year 20 of the streak? Keeping K-dro Alvarez on the major league roster is just the kind of boneheaded move that will make "here we go again" the motto of this year's bunch of Buccos.

And yet, none of that will stop me from trying to make as many games in person as I possibly can, or cheering my lungs out when I'm there, in front of the TV, or listening to the radio.

Play frickin' ball! :D

It's finally here. First pitch in Tokyo in less than an hour.

2012 has been the target Pirates ownership has been pointing to for years. Who knew they were pointing at year 20 of the streak? Keeping K-dro Alvarez on the major league roster is just the kind of boneheaded move that will make "here we go again" the motto of this year's bunch of Buccos.

And yet, none of that will stop me from trying to make as many games in person as I possibly can, or cheering my lungs out when I'm there, in front of the TV, or listening to the radio.

Play frickin' ball! :D
Well, at least you got AJ Burnett...

P

PotaDOS

I read today that the Reds signed Joey Votto to a ten-year extension worth $225 million. He's signed through 2023, with a club option for 2024.

What is this, I don't even?

I read today that the Reds signed Joey Votto to a ten-year extension worth $225 million. He's signed through 2023, with a club option for 2024.

What is this, I don't even?
Plus, he has a full no-trade clause, so he's a Red as long as he wants to be one.

B

BErt

Oof...Verlander goes into the 9th inning with only 81 pitches thrown and just completely melts down. Heartbreaking.

At least hockey is on tonight...? I predict I will be drinking heavily regardless of the Wings/Preds result. Do not bet against this.

And hopefully it will be because of the great pain we will inflict upon you.

Chase it down with some Visene, too, kay?

No, what you REALLY need to do is fire the owner.

And the only way you do that is to STOP GOING TO GAMES.
And what will that accomplish? Will replacing the Nuttings suddenly stop Alvarez from striking out every at bat? How will a change that far up fix this year's Pirates?

Hurdle and Ritchie are supposed to be hitting gurus. Days like today have been the norm since they arrived.

A culture issue doesn't fix the woeful hitting. Ray Searage has done a great job improving the pitching. That looks to have carried over into this year.

The fans have been told over and over that this was the target year. Was the target to be the first Pirates team to be no hit since '71?

Getting rid of the hitting coach for a team that couldn't hit in a t-ball game shows that this is an unacceptable situation.

Okay, there's a 4-way tie for 1st in the AL east, between the Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Rays. Basically everyone who isn't the Red Sox. That's pretty cool. :awesome:

The Red Sox managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, giving up a 9-run lead in the 5th to lose 15-9 to the Yankees. This is after losing the series opener, on the 100th Anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park, 6-2 to the Yankees. Bobby Valentine's job is already looking less than secure, 2 weeks into the season.

As a Yankees fan, all I can say is WOOOHOOO! :awesome:

The Giants blew a gift-wrapped opportunity against the Mets today. All it took was putting their nearly-immobile first baseman at second (where he had never played before), then watch as he flails about in a fog of confusion rather than try to turn a double-play.

Thankfully it was only a temporary thing. The shortstop had to lead the game, the second baseman slid over to play short, and the backup shortstop was sick. Still, the backup first baseman is younger and more athletic, and he should have been the one to try playing second.

The Red Sox managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, giving up a 9-run lead in the 5th to lose 15-9 to the Yankees. This is after losing the series opener, on the 100th Anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park, 6-2 to the Yankees. Bobby Valentine's job is already looking less than secure, 2 weeks into the season.

As a Yankees fan, all I can say is WOOOHOOO! :awesome:
:fu: I turned it off in the 4th damn it.

ElJuski

Staff member
White Sox hat comes in the mail same day Humber throws a perfect game. COINCIDENCE!? Yeah, but still pretty funny. Also, I want to start following baseball again, and especially the White Sox, but NOW I CANT :( :(

>: I

(although the cheap tickets are pretty awesome)
At least you have a hometown team. I pull for the Yankees because they're my grandfather's team, plus my whole family is from NY originally (I've been in NC longer than I ever lived in NY though). It's why I'm a Giants fan. Funny enough though MLB considers the Orioles and the Nationals home market teams for my city. :facepalm:

/me makes note to go watch the Durham Bulls more this year.

Well, the Giants' Pablo Sandoval ends his hitting streak to start the season at 20 games. Not bad, Pablo. Not bad at all.

DA just loves Josh Harrison about now.

Doesn't do anything for the 12-strikeout one-hit shutout by the reigning AL MVP, though.

Don't be so sure about that. The pirates had four guys in the starting lineup hitting .200 or lower. That's unacceptable. A no-hitter would get more folks' attention that the hitting coach needs to go.

Unfortunately, it's not getting much better. The Pirates' AAA team in Indy hasn't scored in 40 innings.

Pirates fans get annoying when they actually win a game or two.

Thankfully, they don't do that very often.

And also thankfully, there aren't too many Pirates fans out there, either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.