[MLB] Opening Day 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was a bit anti-climactic. It's almost like the AL tried just as hard to win the Series as they did to win the All Star Game.

Average number of games in World Series, 1995-2012 (LDS/LCS era, best-of-five/best-of-seven): 5.33.
Average number of games in World Series, 1985-1994 (LCS era, best-of-seven): 5.89.
Average number of games in World Series, 1969-1984 (LCS era, best-of-five): 5.94.
Average number of games in World Series, 1922-1968 (WS only, best-of-seven): 5.83.

The trend appears to be, the more series you play, the shorter the World Series will be.

That is just. Just.

I think we're just about done with this thread; only thing left is the MVP's and CYA's and ROTY's.

My picks:

MVP: Miggy in the AL, Posey in the NL.
CYA: David Price, Jerred Weaver
ROTY: Trout in the AL, Don't really know in the NL.

Posey should be the MVP, no doubt. But if Cabrera doesn't win MVP in the AL then there needs to be rioting in the streets. That Triple Crown's not exactly easy to get.

B

BErt

I'm more confident of Miggy getting MVP after Trout didn't even win the gold glove. If you asked me a month ago I would have said it was for sure going to Trout. There was just too much media hype around him.

Zappit

Staff member
Virtually everybody on the Marlins roster making over a million dollars just got shipped to Toronto, with more trades anticipated. Marlins payroll drops from 108 mil to just 40 mil, and could go as low as 30 mil. This comes after Jeffrey Loria fleeced Florida to the tune of half a billion dollars for his shiny, ugly-ass new stadium. This guy gets to own a team - two, actually - he personally oversaw the destruction of the Expos. Yet Mark Cuban, one of the most passionate and driven owners in sports is actively discouraged from owning an MLB team. Bud really should do something this time. Loria's given MLB far too many black eyes over the years.

The management and ownership of the Mariners continue to prove, day in and day out, that they have no clue how to run a successful baseball franchise. They've just announced a $10M expenditure this off-season. But they're not buying a second star pitcher, or a star catcher, or a slugger... or any other position player. They're buying the largest 1080p video monitor in the major leagues. It'll be over a city block long, and be able to be split (using special software) to show multiple different things at a single time, like scores, player stats, live feed of the game, and replays. All of this because "fans are more and more interested these days in seeing the stats of individual players." You know what else fans are interested in, Moroners? Winning fucking teams.

Final results:

Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout (AL - LA Angels), Bryce Harper (NL - Washington Nationals)

Manager of the Year: Bob Melvin (AL - Oakland A's), Davey Johnson (NL - Washington Nationals)

Cy Young: David Price (AL - Tampa Bay Rays), R.A. Dickey (NL - NY Mets)

MVP: Miguel Cabrera (AL - Detroit Tigers), Buster Posey (NL - SF Giants)

The only real surprise is Price and the CYA in the AL. I think many fans thought it was going to be renamed the Justin Verlander Award.

Strange thing: Verlander got more votes for AL MVP than Price did.

B

BErt

I really was worried that Miggy wouldn't get MVP right up until they announced it. Thank God there are still old baseball writers. If this same scenario happens 20 years from now, the sabermetrics crowd wins.

Zappit

Staff member
Melky Cabrera now signs with the Jays. As a diehard Sox fan, am I unnerved by what's going on in Canada? (And has an American ever been unnerved by anything happening in Canada?) not really. They just picked up nearly two hundred millions dollars worth of losing ballclub, and signed a star who will see a drop in stats provided he plays clean.

Orioles are still the up and comers in the East, and will be the better birds. My team won't have the magic again for at least a few years, but I've waited longer...

Yeah, there was no way the Giants were going to keep him after what he did. They got tired of that crap after the whole Bonds fiasco. I'm actually surprised they still have Mota on the roster too.

Dear Jack Z. What the actual fuck? Do you have a fetish for injury-prone, has-been outfielders? You trade away Trayvon Robinson (who did pretty damn well playing in a reserve capacity last season, one of our few bright spots), for Robert Andino, then fail to offer Andino a contract, then agree to a one-year contract with him, then agree to a one-year deal for a guy whose BA last year was .165, who hit a grand total of 8 HRs and 20 RBIs? And who's been injured almost as frequently as Guti? I know you're better than the last guy we had running the front office, but that stopped being good enough the year after you replaced him. How about you admit you don't have the foggiest fuckin' clue what you're doing and get out?

Really bad day for baseball fans: first, Earl Weaver passes away while on an Orioles Fantasy Cruise; then word comes from Florida that Stan "The Man" Musial passed away.

Same here. That's one thing we both have in common, though - we both beat him and his O's once upon a time.

But only once.

They should see if they can get Moises Alou out of retirement. He's only one who could deal with two brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.